Fjords or Baltic

1fifthavenue

hi all, looking for opinions or advice

We have not done either the Fjords or the Baltic - we want to do both.

There are 2 cruises going on July 1st - one from Kiel on MSC Fantasia going to the Baltics & St Petersburg and the other going from Copenhagen on MSC Magnifica to do the Norwegian fjords. Both are 7 day cruises and there's only about £60-70 between them, based on a balcony.

What would you go for out of the two?

I dont have enough leave from work to be able to do something like that Bea, with having the 3 weeks off soon and being on Meraviglia in november...

Leaning more about the itineraries, I dont think 12 hours is enough to do St Petersburg so leaning more to the Fjords with this itinerary

DAYDATEPORTARRIVALDEPARTUREACTIVITY*1Saturday, 01 Jul 2017Copenhagen, Denmark

-18:00Docked2Sunday, 02 Jul 2017Warnemünde,Germany

08:0019:00Docked3Monday, 03 Jul 2017At Sea---4Tuesday, 04 Jul 2017Bergen, Norway

12:0018:00Docked5Wednesday, 05 Jul 2017Hellesylt/Geiranger, Norway

09:0018:00Tender6Thursday, 06 Jul 2017Flaam, Norway

09:0017:30Docked/Tender7Friday, 07 Jul 2017At Sea---8Saturday, 08 Jul 2017Copenhagen, Denmark

09:00-Docked

The fjords route doesn't appeal to me so I'm probably no use to you :rolleyes:

I have my eye on a Baltic itinerary next year which overnights in St Petersburg. It also visits Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Finland and Sweden.

hi all, looking for opinions or advice

We have not done either the Fjords or the Baltic - we want to do both.

There are 2 cruises going on July 1st - one from Kiel on MSC Fantasia going to the Baltics & St Petersburg and the other going from Copenhagen on MSC Magnifica to do the Norwegian fjords. Both are 7 day cruises and there's only about £60-70 between them, based on a balcony.

What would you go for out of the two?

To do the Baltic justice you need at least 10 nights, with an over night in St PB,

with only 7 nights the fjords is the better option.

I've done a 14 night Baltic and a 7 night fjords, both from/to Southampton

Pete

I've done both (not on MSC) and they are very different.

The fjords route is about nature and I think a cruise is the best way to see the fjords and waterfalls. Much better than doing this route by land. A balcony is a good choice in that case to be able to watch the fjords go by in privacy.

The Baltics is all about culture such as museums, palaces and churches. Twelve hours in St. Petersburg is definitely not enough. Also realise that you either have to get a visa (probably not worth it for 12 hours) or book an excursion beforehand (doesn't need to be with the cruise line) to be allowed to leave the ship in St. Petersburg.

I enjoyed both cruises, but with the choice you're mentioning (less than one day in St. Petersburg) I would choose the fjords and with Copenhagen, Warnemunde and Bergen you can still get the 'culture' part as well.

Hi from Stockholm!

I've done both the itineraries - and the Baltic Sea is absolutely great (especially my home town Stockholm :hearteyes: ). Off course St Petersburg is interesting in many aspects, however, one day is maybe too short time. (And personally, I will never go back to Russia due to dictator Putin and his aggressive behavior, i e the annexation of Krim Ukraine, the persecution of dissidents and the press etc, etc).

Even though I am a Norwegian (from Oslo) myself, I must say that our cruise 3 years ago to the Norwegian fjords (we departured onboard MSC from Copenhagen) was maybe the very best - and most impressive cruise - we ever did...so far! The landscape is breathtaking! (I've cruised approx 30 times - around the world.)

My clear advise: Book the cruise to the Norwegian fjords - you will not be disappointed :)

We haven't done the Baltics yet but have been on a Fjords and to be honest while we enjoyed it and are glad to have done it, it wasn't one of my top cruises. After the 3rd day we found 1 Fjord much like the last same with the ports other than Bergen, Flam is great if you can book the railway. Saying that I'd agree 12 hours not enough for st Petersburg

Kev