Fun question- how do you spend the week before preparing for your cruise?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:59 PM.
108 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
I have started the packing
Started printing my paperwork & putting them in with our identification documents.
Made reservations for the steak house
Got cash from the bank in different denominations.

And as a girl who wants to look good in pictures I have had my eyebrows done and a mani/pedi

How do you prepare as far as primping & preparing?

Have had the pleasure to enjoy:
Carnival Celebration 07
Carnival Victory 16
Carnival Valor 17
Texas
1,290 Posts
Joined May 2014
I get an oil change if needed, air the tires, fill the car with gas, go to the credit union to get the denominations I want, and buy extra cat food and litter.

Your prep sounds like more fun.

Happy sailing.
Stone Mountain GA
9,282 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
spend 95% of the time looking at carnival pictures, and on cruise critic. I packed the week before,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Cunard-Queen Mary 1961 NY to Cherbourg
Cunard-Queen Elizabeth 1963 Cherbourg to NY
MWA- Heritage 8/05, 8/06
Carnival- Sensation-10/08
Carnival- Legend 01/10, 9/12, 9/16
Carnival- Fascination 12/10,11/11,10/13,11/14, 9/15
Carnival- Elation 1/14, 1/16

I will try one thing today,
that I have never done before,
and when I have finished something new,
I'll go try one thing more.
aem

"Hurray for ships!.....Let us keep them alive as a token of love,to make the last romantics happy. Let us use them to cure the depressed. Let us prescribe sea journeys..." Tiziano Terzani

America-It doesn't matter what ship our ancestors came here on, we're all in the same boat now.

[

[/url]
Thomasville, North Carolina
455 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I'm packing ,watching YouTube videos of my ship and counting down 15 days to go right now!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Indiana
424 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
We cruise in May and October so packing is mostly done months in advance as what better place to store summer clothes than in a suitcase.

When we get back from the October cruise we wash all the clothes, repack the summer ones in the suitcase, then it is just dinner clothes right before we leave in May.
60 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
I pack the morning of and don't worry about a thing. I am on vacation. I do enjoy a visit to the salon when aboard for a shave and a haircut.
Canberra Australia
35,872 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Most things that you list I have already done, so it is really just finalising the packing, and getting the house and yard ready for our departure.
105,589 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
The week before -- go to the bank, run off the to-do list, packing list and fill prescriptions.

Don't pack until the day before we leave for the airport hotel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
NZ
62 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
I check off things on my excel spreadsheet I use for packing.....then I count the sleeps.......and count the sleeps......and count the sleeps.............and tightly squeezly my eyes closed......then open them again quickly hoping that another sleep can be ticked off my countdown calendar............(sigh)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

68 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by FunforGin
I check off things on my excel spreadsheet I use for packing.....then I count the sleeps.......and count the sleeps......and count the sleeps.............and tightly squeezly my eyes closed......then open them again quickly hoping that another sleep can be ticked off my countdown calendar............(sigh)
Omg too funny. I am struggling waiting another 32 sleeps.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app
108 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by FunforGin

Oh am I jealous of your organization. I never thought of a spreadsheet!

Have had the pleasure to enjoy:
Carnival Celebration 07
Carnival Victory 16
Carnival Valor 17
Cleveland
340 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Get a massage and pedicure so I'm not tempted by the over-priced on-board spa services
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Inspiration '96, RCI Sovereign of the Seas '98
Celebrity Century '99, RCI Grandeur of the Seas '00
RCI Freedom of the Seas '12
RCI Adventure of the Seas '15
Carnival Sunshine '16
Coral Princess - Alaska Cruise/Tour - May 2018
108 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by SewMuch
Get a massage and pedicure so I'm not tempted by the over-priced on-board spa services

Smart.. I have never used the spa as I can think of so many other things that I would like to do.. I can do my mani/pedi's locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Fredericksburg, va. USA
81,542 Posts
Joined May 2001
Most folks start "preparing" more than a week in advance!!! I use the last couple of days getting my house in order (gotta be spic and span before I leave!)...
NZ
62 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Yeah, so the spreadsheet really helps me with my organisation; I list all the items with a 'tick box' column on the left that I can tick when the item has 'landed' in my suitcase; note the word 'landed'. It's not 'packed' but it is in my suitcase.

The reason for this, is that once everything is sitting in the open suitcase, I go over the list again and question myself 'do I REALLY need that?'. Often items are pulled out again before I actually pack my suitcase. Now, I need to say that I've only had one cruise yet, with next one coming up in January 2018 - but this is the packing technique that I use whenever I go away.

The cool thing about this, is that I can delete the items on the spreadsheet that I took out of my suitcase, save it again, and then it's ready for the next time I go away.

This habit stems from my former life as a 'caterer' - I had to make sure I packed all the gear I was going to need to produce the meal, as often the venues don't have what you need. I also made spreadsheets for the grocery shopping with three columns to the left of the item on the list. One for the 'tick' one for the estimated cost and one for the actual cost. I found that really helped me to assess costs more accurately when preparing a quote
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SoCal Gal
5,004 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Primping: I quit coloring my hair (the joys of aging gracefully!), so just try to have my hair trimmed a couple weeks out. This time I'm actually going to get a pedicure, too.

Preparing: I have a wheeled clothing rack in the spare room that I start loading clothes on the week before. I don't want to wear an item I'd planned on packing, then have to do a quick load of laundry the day before. I have a packing list that I edit in the weeks before the cruise, then make any last-minute changes depending on the weather forecast for our destination. I don't actually pack until the day before or the morning of the cruise. Everything I need for the cruise is on my packing list, so I check it off as it goes into the suitcase or carry-on. The last thing I want to do is forget my passport or whatever.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save
Virginia
747 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Day 7: Get a haircut
Day 6: Get cash from the bank. We never have any cash, ever.
Day 5: Make sure everything is in order, print luggage tags, boarding passes, make sure mail is stopped even though we don't even use the USPS
Day 4: Make a grocery list for post-cruise, laundry
Day 3: Clean the pool, mow the lawn
Day 2: Clean the house, empty fridge
Day 1: Pack
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

108 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by cb at sea
Most folks start "preparing" more than a week in advance!!! I use the last couple of days getting my house in order (gotta be spic and span before I leave!)...

I love coming home to a clean house.. unfortunately I have the two older boys (21 & 23) staying to take care of the dogs so I have no hope.. lol

108 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by fyree39
Primping: I quit coloring my hair (the joys of aging gracefully!), so just try to have my hair trimmed a couple weeks out. This time I'm actually going to get a pedicure, too.

Preparing: I have a wheeled clothing rack in the spare room that I start loading clothes on the week before. I don't want to wear an item I'd planned on packing, then have to do a quick load of laundry the day before. I have a packing list that I edit in the weeks before the cruise, then make any last-minute changes depending on the weather forecast for our destination. I don't actually pack until the day before or the morning of the cruise. Everything I need for the cruise is on my packing list, so I check it off as it goes into the suitcase or carry-on. The last thing I want to do is forget my passport or whatever.

Oooo.. I love the rolling rack! So many good ideas on this thread. I am always doing a load the night before also.. got to pack my favorites