What books are you taking on your cruise?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:33 AM.
CT
568 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I love to read and while travelling and cruising am happy to be sitting by the pool or in the solarium with a good book to grab my attention. I usually also bring along some form of puzzle book too. I prefer biographies or autobiographies . And since lately have become addicted to the Investigation discovery channel which we refer to as the murder channel.. Any ideas? Going to head to Barnes and noble and my local library this week before my cruise...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Texas
678 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
My DW takes her iPad, and it contains at least 150 books! She is downloading more all the time! She reads romance novels, some of which are a series with new books coming out anywhere from monthly to annually. When she doesn't have a new book, she will reread some of her old favorites.

Me - no book, no paper, nothing! Cruise to get away, completely. It takes effort to read the daily cruise bulletin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pending Cruises
2017 - Alaska: Celebrity Millennium
2018 - Australia/New Zealand: Celebrity Solstice
2018 - Cottages, Coves, and Coasts: Oceania Insignia
las vegas
462 Posts
Joined May 2015
Not sure what ship you are on, but when I cruise Princess I always like to see what books are in the ships library. They usually have something good to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I take a couple of books on my Kindle. Murder mysteries usually. Not too light but nothing so involved I can't put it down and come back easily. First cruise I took The Lord of the Rings. Never got out of the first chapter. I kept getting interrupted watching people or just watching the ocean. Couldn't stay focused. And I love that book.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app
Sydney, Australia
7,134 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
My Kindle is always well loaded with books to read, and I have several games on my phone that can be played offline including a Patience app with over 100 different types of patience.

Agatha Christie's books are great for travel, she's an excellent author.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney

Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Toronto, Canada
3,994 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I use primarily audiobooks, which are great for walking the Promenade deck or just lounging......I hate e-readers like Kindles, but I will go to the library on board and usually go through 5 or 6 per 2-week voyage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North West NJ
4,302 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Blondilu
I take a couple of books on my Kindle. Murder mysteries usually. Not too light but nothing so involved I can't put it down and come back easily. First cruise I took The Lord of the Rings. Never got out of the first chapter. I kept getting interrupted watching people or just watching the ocean. Couldn't stay focused. And I love that book.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

I'm with you. I always take a book or two with me and NEVER read them. (and I LOVE to read) Between activities and meeting/speaking with new people, I never seem to get around to it. The other thread on "books", there are a lot of very "heavy" reading material books. I don't know how people are able to concentrate...lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CARNIVAL FANTASY 2003
RCCL EXPLORER 2008
RCCL EXPLORER 2009
CELEBRITY SUMMIT 2010
RCCL OASIS 2011
CARNIVAL GLORY 2011
RCCL ALLURE 2012
CARNIVAL SPLENDOR 2013
NCL BREAKAWAY 2013
CARNIVAL PRIDE 2014
RCCL...ANTHEM 2016
CELEBRITY EQUINOX 2017
MSC......SEASIDE 2018
25 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I have lots of books downloaded on my iPad, but I love listening to audio books when cruising. I can still "people watch" and walk off dinner, etc. I download books from the library so they don't cost anything.
Right now I'm listening to The Frontiersmen by Allan Eckert, nonfiction that reads like a novel, takes place in VA, WV, KY.
I also like the Amanda Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters.
Love this thread for new ideas! ❤️

Sent from my iPad using Forums
2,947 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
I like fairly gentle murder mysteries, so at the moment, I am working my way through Andrea Cammileri's Inspector Montalbano mysteries, and I also have all 20 of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries downloaded on the Kindle app on my iPad. That should keep me busy for a while!
Plainville, MA
247 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
I use overdrive to download free Kindle or audiobooks through my Library. I preder audiobooks so I can do my walks and also keep an eye out for my teens

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
COMING _ Celebrity Equinox July 2017!!!!
NCL Star - March 2016
NCLDawn ---- Jul 2015!!!!!
NCL Jewel Feb/13
NCL Jewel Feb/12
Carnival Pride Nov/09
Celebrity Zenith - Bermuda;Oct/03
Celebrity Millenium 1/19/03
Majesty of the Seas 5/02
Century 9/01
Celebrity Mercury 3/98
Grandeur of the Saease 8/97

Save
Save
New York City
7,049 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I always pack a mystery/thriller for a cruise. But when I sit down on the promenade deck I get too mesmerized by the waves and the people watching.

This time I will browse for a book at the QM2's extensive library and find something to hold while I gaze at the water and the people...

Jonathan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Liberty of the Seas Review - 8/22/15
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253857

Live from the Explorer of the Seas - 2/16/14
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990840

Live from the Noordam Transatlantic - 4/5/08
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=749667

2017 - Anthem of the Seas - 2016 - Regal Princess -
2016 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 2015 RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2014 - RCCL Quantum of the Seas - 2014 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
2011 - Cunard - Queen Elizabeth - 2010 Celebrity Summit
2009 - Cunard QM2 - 2008 - HAL Eurodam - 2008 HAL Noordam
2007 - HAL Noordam - 2006 - Cunard QM2 - 2006 Cunard QM2
2005 - Cunard QM2 - 2004 Cunard QM2 - 2003 - Cunard QE2
1979 - Royal Viking Line - 1976 - Mississippi Queen - 1974 HAL Rotterdam
1973 - SS France - 1972 - Cunard QE2- 1971 - Cunard QE2 -
1970 - Cunard Franconia - 1969 - Leonard Da Vinci

Royal Carribean Cruise Line - Platinum
Cunard Line - Platinum
296 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by champagne123
I'm with you. I always take a book or two with me and NEVER read them. (and I LOVE to read) Between activities and meeting/speaking with new people, I never seem to get around to it. The other thread on "books", there are a lot of very "heavy" reading material books. I don't know how people are able to concentrate...lol.
Me either, LOL. Any serious reading would have to be done in my cabin. And what's the fun in that?
SoCal Gal
5,077 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
I have a Kindle and belong to Amazon Prime. Before a cruise I load up on my free Prime titles. I don't go for cruise-style literature. I'm more about mysteries and detective novels. On a 7-day cruise I read 2-3 books depending on how long they are.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save
North West NJ
4,302 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by fyree39
I have a Kindle and belong to Amazon Prime. Before a cruise I load up on my free Prime titles. I don't go for cruise-style literature. I'm more about mysteries and detective novels. On a 7-day cruise I read 2-3 books depending on how long they are.
In all seriousness...and NOT being facetious...how in the world do you have time to read 3 books on a 7 day cruise and are able to concentrate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CARNIVAL FANTASY 2003
RCCL EXPLORER 2008
RCCL EXPLORER 2009
CELEBRITY SUMMIT 2010
RCCL OASIS 2011
CARNIVAL GLORY 2011
RCCL ALLURE 2012
CARNIVAL SPLENDOR 2013
NCL BREAKAWAY 2013
CARNIVAL PRIDE 2014
RCCL...ANTHEM 2016
CELEBRITY EQUINOX 2017
MSC......SEASIDE 2018
Toronto, Canada
3,994 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by champagne123
In all seriousness...and NOT being facetious...how in the world do you have time to read 3 books on a 7 day cruise and are able to concentrate.
I guess it would depend on how many sea days are in that 7-day cruise, and what else one likes to do. I certainly can and have finished a book on a sea day, if it's good enough to hold my attention.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North West NJ
4,302 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by calliopecruiser
I guess it would depend on how many sea days are in that 7-day cruise, and what else one likes to do. I certainly can and have finished a book on a sea day, if it's good enough to hold my attention.
On a day off....at home...no distractions.....I can do this also. BUT on a cruise?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CARNIVAL FANTASY 2003
RCCL EXPLORER 2008
RCCL EXPLORER 2009
CELEBRITY SUMMIT 2010
RCCL OASIS 2011
CARNIVAL GLORY 2011
RCCL ALLURE 2012
CARNIVAL SPLENDOR 2013
NCL BREAKAWAY 2013
CARNIVAL PRIDE 2014
RCCL...ANTHEM 2016
CELEBRITY EQUINOX 2017
MSC......SEASIDE 2018
Northern Virginia USA
2,518 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
One of the joys of cruising - for me - is the chance to sit on a lounge in the sun, or the shade, or on my balcony, and just read a good book. I can sit for hours and read, and since I am a fast reader, I can easily read 4 or more books in a week. Especially the "easy reads" like Nora Roberts or the Robert Parker books or most political thrillers.

I can't use an e-reader, so I stock up on books from used book stores and leave them behind in the ship library when finished.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lady Chew

//Royal Caribbean Diamond//Celebrity Elite
266 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I downloaded John Sandford's Golden Prey for my recent trip. Had it completed by end of cruise. Just found 2 Ebooks, each book is a compilation of short stories written by a team of 2 authors collaborating. The first Ebook = Faceoff has John Sandford and Jeffrey Deaver teamed up. Second Ebook = Matchup has John Sandford and Lisa Jackson teamed up. Both of these books look very interesting for the fans of murder mysteries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Bermuda 1982
Carnival Cruise Bahamas 1986
Princess Day Cruise to Ensenada 1994
Royal Caribbean Mexico 2004
NCL Alaska 2012
NCL 12 Day Med. Cruise 2013
NCL Cuba 2017