"Because I'm not wearing any underwear, Harvey"

catmand

Ok so, if you are going to read this you have to make some kind of a comment, lets not have one of those 450 views and 7 responses!............:D

I admit it, I am truly pathetic. The other day "Speed2" was on and I caught it about 20 minutes in. I could not turn the channel until I KNEW what ship they were on. I mean, come on, this was a bad, bad sequel that had to explain why the guy from the first one was not in it (Yes, I watched it from the beginning last night).

I also sat through almost the entire movie "Boat Trip" which would take my prize as the worst movie ever made if not for "Ishtar" and another trip, "Couch Trip." How sad it was to see an Academy Award winner in such a pile of dog poop, BUT, It was on a cruise ship so I watched.

By the way, "Speed 2" was on Seaborne Legend, how spooky is that?

So, you want to fess up? Do you do the same, heck even "The Lady Eve" or how about the Travel (aka Poker) Channel, do you look for all the cruise ship programs and watch them over and over?

Oh, and by the way, "I'm not wearing any underwear, Harvey" was a line delivered during the obligatory, "take off your clothes cause we need them for something" scene. You may remember Stella Stevens in "Poseidon Adventure."

I haven't seen Speed 2 but I do surf the Travel Channel to check for ship/cruise programs and I do admit that I taped the Drydock series on Sovereign of the Seas refurbishment. I have watched it twice.

I also find that I stop everything when the cruise commericals come on TV. I'm missing those Celebrity commericals. Haven't seen them much lately.:)

catmand,

OK, so I have to admit I too watched part of Speed2 the other day just to see the ship, but only because I leave on the Summit in 2 weeks. I watched the last 45 mins or so...very cheesy, but fun. I also agree that 'Boat Trip' was pretty bad. But can it really get much worse than "The Love Boat" series from the 70's? If you want some good cheese...that's the ticket! :o

We'll watch movies (even bad ones) if they are set someplace we've traveled to. Doesn't have to be on a cruise ship. But since almost all of our travels outsidse the US have been on cruises, that counts, doesn't it?

I thought the underwear line was said by Shelley Winters. But it would sure have made more sense for it to be Stella (younger, prettier and slimmer in that movie).

I'll watch the Travel Channel's cruise shows over and over, but I can't get too enthused about the movies. Most of them do a few outtakes of the ships and then recreate the rest of the scenes in Hollywood or somewhere else, so you're not always seeing what you're seeing. (such as the old Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau movie "Out to Sea" which had a few shots of the old HAL Westerdam...the rest filmed somewhere else.) You get a few seconds of "Wow, I remember that place, it's the ......." and then you spend the rest of the movie not recognizing anything. I guess it's all part of the Hollywood "delusion." Still, it is kind of fun the first time you see it.

I thought Speed 2 was robbed of the Oscar! Any movie featuring cruising should automatically win don't you think?;) Actually, I watched it purposefully once, and accidentally several times after that. I always wondered where it was filmed (haven't been to St. Maarten yet) and what ship it was on.

What was the old movie filmed aboard Ile de France as she was being towed to be broken up. I ended up watching the whole thing one afternoon and being struck by how eerily similar the events in that film were to what happened to Norway in Miami. The Ile de France was partially sunk to film the movie.

I'm not wearing any underwear either.

Although I love to cruise, I like land vacations too. I have watched "After the Sunset" more times than I'd like to admit just because of the location shots at Atlantis in the Bahamas. Plus Pierce & Salma aare really hot together. Meg

Spongerob:Trivia for

The Last Voyage (1960)

• The ship used by the filmmakers was the S.S. Ile de France, the famous French liner which cruised the Atlantic from 1926 to 1959. She was leased for $4,000 a day. After shooting completed, she was re-floated (having been partially sunk for the film) and was towed to the scrap yard.
  • According to maritime historian William J. Miller, the famed French Line was so horrified that their former flagship would be used in such a way that they demanded that the Ile de France's name be removed from the ship's bow and that in no way would any references be made to the French Line.

The above movie was with Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone, also Cliff Robertson.

Waylook, as mentioned Speed2 was filmed on Seaborn Ledgend, I can't find info for Boat Trip.

Bob, it was Stella Stevens in Posiden, i can't remember the actress (?) who said the Harvey line in Speed2.

For shame- all of you! No one's mentioned it. My favorite classic ship movie is "Now, Voyager" with Bette Davis! Also some great zingers from both Bette and the actress that plays her mother, Gladys Cooper (coincidentally, the same actress who, years later, plays Henry Higgins' mother in the film of "My Fair Lady."

'Now Voyager' also has the great character actress Mary Wickes playing the nurse, Dora.

Would be a great film for anyone cruising to South America this next year! Great old shots of Rio.

Andrew

What about Sabrina? Humphrey Bogart purchases two tickets for his brother, William Holden and Audrey Hepburn and then ends up with her himself on the French Line's Liberte. Great shot from a lower Manhattan skyscraper of the ship slowly steaming down the Hudson!:D always makes me happy!;)

Are there any would-be television producers out there who might finance a TV show called "Cruiseline?" It would be exactly like A&E's "Airline," with ships.

Most of the people with problems on "Airline" are self-caused (i.e. being drunk, being late, checking your medications, not having appropriate paperwork for your dog...) and the ensuing "blow outs" are what make the show interesting. The occasional no-fault situations and how they are solved balance out the show.

Imagine the entertainment value of the following blow outs:

"deck chair," "sweatpants on formal night," or "dirty diaper in jacuzzi." Who could possibly touch that dial during the famous "my cabin is 7 square feet smaller than advertised" blowout?

The possibilities are endless....or at least good for 13 episodes.

of Posiden adventure, I believe it's going direct to TV. I wonder who is going to sing that horrible song. I saw "A night to remember" recently just to make sure the Titanic sunk. In the 1950s when I was kid I saw the movie at a drive-in in Pa but after watching the whole movie, fog moved into the theater as the ship was sinking.

Don, believe it or not, "The Morning After" won the Academy Award for Best Song that year. I wonder who they got to play the angry Reverend role that Gene Hackman ate up the scenery with.

How about "An Affair to Remember"?

Archived