First timer, holidays distracted me, time to get ready!

onewomanarmy

We're taking our first cruise in a few weeks - and I could use some pointers. We're on a 5 day Carnival cruise out of Galveston. I was asleep at the wheel regarding online checkin - actually, between the holidays and being sick - I've let this thing sneak up on me! I did set up our boarding time,the earliest I could book was 12:30. I have no idea if this is ideal, but it is the earliest available.

I know we'll want to take a carry on with early use stuff since cabin may not be ready/luggage may not show up for some time. I'm also aware of gratuities and such and have picked up several nice tips in general on the forums here. We still need to plan excursions, hopefully we're not too late to have good options. I believe we stop in Cozumel and Yucatan/Progreso.

I'm green enough at cruising that I don't even know what I don't know. I'm guessing that things will become clear once we arrive at the port? We're arriving the night before and driving down to stay in Galveston. We'll leave our car there and hopefully take the shuttle to port. This is a bit of a test cruise for us. Thought we'd start with a fairly cheap and somewhat short cruise so we know if it's going to be an option for bigger trips.

I don't even know what to ask - but wondering if there are other things I need to do before the cruise. Especially since I almost let the online check in slip by me! Obviously, we need to figure out what excursions we need to do, we'll look for independent/local vendors for that asap. Is the online check in all we need to do before hand otherwise? And then we just show up at the port at our assigned time with our carry on and checked bags in hand? I'd assume we can board no earlier than our assigned time?

Thanks, and thanks for all the tips provided on the boards here. :)

Be sure to read all of the documentation that Carnival provides and when you board and get settled on the ship be sure to read the program that will be in your room. It will be filled with lots of information. During that first day try to walk all around the ship to discover everything that is available.

Have a wonderful time.

It will be great.

Keith

We also started with a 5 day and have been cruising ever since. For a nice beach day there are a couple private beaches with loungers, umbrella and food/ drink - check on the Ports area for specifics, lots of helpful folks there. Mostly, relax, have fun and don’t try to do everything!

We're taking our first cruise in a few weeks - and I could use some pointers. We're on a 5 day Carnival cruise out of Galveston. I was asleep at the wheel regarding online checkin - actually, between the holidays and being sick - I've let this thing sneak up on me! I did set up our boarding time,the earliest I could book was 12:30. I have no idea if this is ideal, but it is the earliest available.

I know we'll want to take a carry on with early use stuff since cabin may not be ready/luggage may not show up for some time. I'm also aware of gratuities and such and have picked up several nice tips in general on the forums here. We still need to plan excursions, hopefully we're not too late to have good options. I believe we stop in Cozumel and Yucatan/Progreso.

I'm green enough at cruising that I don't even know what I don't know. I'm guessing that things will become clear once we arrive at the port? We're arriving the night before and driving down to stay in Galveston. We'll leave our car there and hopefully take the shuttle to port. This is a bit of a test cruise for us. Thought we'd start with a fairly cheap and somewhat short cruise so we know if it's going to be an option for bigger trips.

I don't even know what to ask - but wondering if there are other things I need to do before the cruise. Especially since I almost let the online check in slip by me! Obviously, we need to figure out what excursions we need to do, we'll look for independent/local vendors for that asap. Is the online check in all we need to do before hand otherwise? And then we just show up at the port at our assigned time with our carry on and checked bags in hand? I'd assume we can board no earlier than our assigned time?

Thanks, and thanks for all the tips provided on the boards here. :)

Before you do one more 'cruise thing' put your proper ID;s in your hand and b e certain you have necssary ID for both of you. Do ift now in case you find a gllitch with your documents.

Once you verify dociments are in ordder, put them someplce you will be certain to take them with you when you leave your home. You cannot board without them.

Thanks for the replies, we're really excited to not only cruise for the first time - but to escape winter (though, as I say that, our temps here have jumped to the 60s!). We both have current passports and they have been added to our online check in. I've been going back periodically to check to see if, by chance, there are any earlier boarding times that may pop up, but I'm doubtful that is going to happen. Hate that I snoozed on that earlier check in. Oh well, I'm sure we'll still manage to eke out a good time... ;)

Definitely make sure your ID's are in order.

Get a guidebook on your ports (stop by your library..they have them!) and read up on where you're going. You may find you don't even NEED an excursion to do what interests you! Cheaper to DIY, also!

Lots of good advice here! My two cents is don't worry about things too much. When we went on our first cruise, we didn't even know anybody who'd gone on one. It was pre-internet, so no help there. We muddled through and had a great time. You're already way up on the learning curve.