Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Belize

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Belize pharmacy

I was recently in Belize and picked up some prescription medications. The pharmacy gave out their email address. I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten a response from the pharmacy email and has anyone ever ordered any prescription medication via email?

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but you may want to search the boards for information about foreign pharmacies. I would really carefully look into what is legal and what isn't as far as mail order pharmacies. Just to CYA...
Carnival Conquest 10/15/2006...S&S Part Deux
Carnival Fantasy 9/17/2007 and
Carnival Fantasy 9/22/2007 B2B
NCL Spirit 2/24/2008
Carnival Fantasy 11/29/2008
NCL Spirit 3/29/2009
Carnival Triumph 9/11/2010
NCL Star 11/18/2012
NCL Star 3/3/2013
NCL Jewel 12/1/2013

NCL Dawn 11/30/14
NCL Dawn 4/19/15

Old November 24th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Aside from possibly being illegal, this may be a dangerous move. Pharmaceuticals in other countries do not have to pass FDA standards and may not be the true quality nor dosage that you should safely use. Our veteranarian won't even allow us to order products for our dog online stating many of these drugs are from other countries with substandard quality control. Pleas re-think this.

Old November 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

The pharmacy in Belize is owned and operated by a pharmacist that use to work in the United States & is an American. They are limited as to how they ship meds and are closely watched (in this case), so believe that this is a very safe pharmacy. Have never ordered on line from them, but believe that you would get what you ordered.

Old November 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenchris
The pharmacy in Belize is owned and operated by a pharmacist that use to work in the United States & is an American. They are limited as to how they ship meds and are closely watched (in this case), so believe that this is a very safe pharmacy. Have never ordered on line from them, but believe that you would get what you ordered.
I'd trust it then.
Pride 5/05 - HM to Mex. Riv
Star Princess 1/06 - W. Carib
RC Empress OTS 9/06 - Bermuda
Aruba (land vacation) 5/07

http://community.webshots.com/user/newmrsgriffin Empress of the Seas, Star Princess, and Carnival Pride shots!

Old November 24th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

The American government has put the fear of God in its citizens regarding prescription meds from other countries. Being from Canada, our drugs are manufactured by the same exact manufacturers as in the US however the Bush Administration wants you to believe that our drugs are made in dirty back alleys and not good enough for consumption in order to the keep the US counterparts of these drug manufacturers happy! We got lots of old folks and cancer patients who cannot afford meds in the US coming across the border to buy drugs they otherwise could not afford. It's about saving lives and not putting money in the drug companies' pockets - the Bush Administration needs to wake up to that.

I'll get off my soapbox now!

Old November 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree that Canadian pharmaceuticals are probably just fine for Americans and the whole thing is orchestrated by the desires of the pharmaceutical companies BUT...Is it legal to buy prescription meds over the internet and have them shipped into the US? I would really research that. I don't think it would be under most circumstances to have them delivered in the mail. In the US for a prescription to be "legal" don't you have to have some kind of interaction with a doctor?? How does that occur through email? No doubt about it, it's your risk to take, but at least be informed! Ignorance isn't bliss sometimes!
Carnival Conquest 10/15/2006...S&S Part Deux
Carnival Fantasy 9/17/2007 and
Carnival Fantasy 9/22/2007 B2B
NCL Spirit 2/24/2008
Carnival Fantasy 11/29/2008
NCL Spirit 3/29/2009
Carnival Triumph 9/11/2010
NCL Star 11/18/2012
NCL Star 3/3/2013
NCL Jewel 12/1/2013

NCL Dawn 11/30/14
NCL Dawn 4/19/15

Old November 24th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I believe the Canadian pharmaceuticals are fine, but I always question the drugs from third world countries.

Not only do you have the problem of your prescription being a Grey-market knock-off; you have the concern of storage.

The manufacturer, distributor, and retail pharmacy maintain product between 65-75 degrees F at 25-40% humidity in North America.

Some drugs in third world countries are stored in non-climate controlled garages and makeshift warehouses. Temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F and humidity can approach the same number.

Drugs degrade exponentially at these extended extremes.

So, even if you’re getting the proper drug manufactured by a competent supplier, one doesn’t know how, or for how long, it was stored.

Your terrific buy in Belize may be only 50% or less potency than when it was manufactured.

We travel the Caribbean for three months every year and have for the last 14 years.

ALL or prescriptions come from the United States.

Old November 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb Let's not get started on the Canadien drug thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastienboy
The American government has put the fear of God in its citizens regarding prescription meds from other countries. Being from Canada, our drugs are manufactured by the same exact manufacturers as in the US however the Bush Administration wants you to believe that our drugs are made in dirty back alleys and not good enough for consumption in order to the keep the US counterparts of these drug manufacturers happy! We got lots of old folks and cancer patients who cannot afford meds in the US coming across the border to buy drugs they otherwise could not afford. It's about saving lives and not putting money in the drug companies' pockets - the Bush Administration needs to wake up to that.

No, that's not the problem.... The main problem is that not only is it a violation of American Federal Law, but the provenance of the drugs can not be verified. In more simpler terms, where the drugs come from, be it the United States of wherever, may or may not have come directly to the drug wholesaler from the manufacturer. There is no way to tell if these drugs were returns from another source, pharmacy, wholesaler, hopital, or agency. There is no way to guarantee the potency, authenticity, or storage conditions. Federal Laws and FDA regulations do not apply to manufacter, shipping, storage, and documentation of the path from manufacturer to wholesaler to pharmacy. (Not to mention you would not have easy legal resource for claims/action...)The most horrifing problem seems to be that most people forget that the FDA and it's regulations, are to protect the (American) public with regard to safety and efficacy of medications available to Americans. We in the profession, know about the "problems" that have occured. (Misbranded drugs, expired drugs, couterfit drugs, lost mail, etc).

To the original poster, I have met that pharmacist who is US liscensed. The problem is the source of the drugs, not the pharmacy/pharmacist. They could be duped by their drug source in total ignorance of provenance.

Last thought. To those who have a problem with the high price of drugs in the US, take it up with the manufacturers, they are the problem. In a free market they can and do charge whatever they fell they can get away with.

Now, I'm off my soapbox.

Old November 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Prescription drugs from Mexico/Belize

I too bought drugs from the pharmacist in Belize and have purchased them from Mexico also. I have also ordered medicine from New Zealand that requires a prescription in the US and gotten it just fine (that is where I get my scopalamine patches). All have been fully potent and within the expiration dates. First, the buyer should make sure the drugs are in original packaging, read the box/bottle, check the expiration dates and only buy from reputable pharmacies/farmacias. The US Customs do allow "personal use" medicines, which is not more than 50 days worth (although it is difficult to find clear policies on this from US.gov websites, some still indicate 90 days). The big concern for Customs is the bringing in of "Schedule" drugs. These includes narcotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and, of course, drugs of abuse, such as morphine, heroin, etc. I have found on cruises that there has been little to no searching or followup from Customs, however, I have heard, although not seen, that there are drug sniffing dogs which check the baggage coming off the ship. It is possible for true farmacias to provide a prescription from a doctor, usually close by, however, it appears that the US won't accept prescriptions from foreign doctors. Just make sure you do declare what you purchase, buy it from a source that is reputable, and be prepared to lose it if Customs decides to crack down. For those without insurance, the prices are definitely better, for those with insurance, make sure you compare. And, as for fighting the prices with the manufacturers in the US, get real. If the US government won't fight to keep prices down, and even wants to ban the ability for States and other large groups to form groups to buy in bulk, there is no way a single or even multiple consumers can get the prices down, especially on drugs where there is no other option or generic. As the drug companies say, we all have to pay for their R&D, but in the US, we pay more.

Old December 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Legal or not Legal?

I am so glad I saw your message, can I please have the email address. The pharmacy in Belize gave me their business card with the info. and I can not find it. Regardless to what is Legal or not Legal. I am a small business owner, with basic health insurance and NO prescription plan. Needless to say I stocked up... On Penicillin, Amoxicillin, and more improtantly Albuterol. I'll take the chance! Thank You.

Old December 11th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Price may or may not be better

Visiting Cancun last spring, I asked about the price of an Albuterol Inhaler. $19.95 American. How nice, seeing I was selling it in my store in Illinois for $17.99. Keep your eyes open!

Old December 11th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default flynrph

Thank you for responding. I know that I paid $73.00 at a chain pharmacy here in the north east. (That was for 2 inhalers.) In Belize I purchased 5 for $35.00. I wouldnt mind paying $20.00! My Dr. usually gives me samples for free. Thought he would be open the Sat. before my trip and he was closed. In which case I had no choice but to have a prescription called in. Thank you for your time.

Old December 15th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastienboy

How nice, advice from a Canadian on how to run the United States.

Old December 15th, 2005, 08:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Pharmacy Express was the name of the pharmacy at the Belize cruise port. The flyer says the pharmacist formerly owned or worked in New Orleans.

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default temperature/humidity controls

Please reread the post from "barbados" on this topic. Degradation and loss of potency are potentially VERY serious problems with medication. Storage is an important aspect to be considered.

Costa Flavia 6/75
Celebrity Horizon 7/97
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 9/98
Crown Princess 8/00
Monarch of the Seas 3/01
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 8/01
Dawn Princess 8/02
Grand Princess 3/03
Dawn Princess 8/03
Carnival Spirit 8/04
Rhapsody of the Seas 3/05
Vision of the Seas 9/05
Vision of the Seas 3/06
Vision of the Seas 3/07
Celebrity Mercury 9/07
Noordam 5/08
Eurodam 7/10
Carnival Destiny 6/11
Eurodam 9/11

Old December 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rocky Bayou

I am a born here US citizen I agree with the Canadian post 100%.
My wife bought a one years supply of her meds at the Tourist Port pharmacy for $200 & we saved over $1200. Darn near paid for the cruise & a super deal for us !
If one believes the B/S from our not always candid President, good luck.
Bill in FL

Old December 18th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Im not a Canadian...... Anyhow, I hate bush and just want to get some drugs... for FREE...For myself. not to sell.

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Do me a favor GET A GRIP.... I am not from Canada, Im from PHILLY.... I work very hard for the money I make. Dont get me started. Because our government is ****ED UP..... I Need Meds, and I'll do what ever it takes to get them at a reasonalbe rate. P.S. Not everyone is a drug addict...

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBayou
How nice, advice from a Canadian on how to run the United States.
Do me a favor GET A GRIP.... I am not from Canada, Im from PHILLY.... I work very hard for the money I make. Dont get me started. Because our government is ****ED UP..... I Need Meds, and I'll do what ever it takes to get them at a reasonalbe rate. P.S. Not everyone is a drug addict...