Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Majestic America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dress Code for Kiddos??

How should my children dress for dinner? My daughter is 10 and she has dresses, including a couple of nice ones for the Captain's Champagne Reception and the Captain's Dinner. My son is 7 - does he need to wear dress pants every evening? Would nice shorts and a collared Polo-style shirt be OK? Should he have a tie for the more formal dinners? For those who have been on the AQ recently, what type of dress did you see for dinner (both kids and adults)?

TXMommy

Rhapsody of the Seas - June 2003
American Queen - June 2004!
Grand Princess - March 2005!

Old May 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the AQ end of April for 4 nights, did not see any children on board but feltt that the dress was quite casual at dinner even on the Captains night. I don't know about shorts for dinner but I would think long pants and a polo with collar would do for any evening.

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband (aka my "other child" ) was planning on wearing a suit for the Captain's Champagne Reception and also the Captain's Dinner - will he be overdressed??

TXMommy

Old May 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

No, he'll fit right in, I was surprised at the number of women who were in very casual attire for the Captains Dinner (pants & blouse or sweater), usually the women dress up more then the men.

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had two dress up nights on our week long cruise. My husband had one sport coat he wore both nights. One night he wore a dress shirt and a tie with it, the other night a dress shirt that buttons to the neck, but no tie. Most of the men wore suits. There was one young man (I'm guessing he was about 35) traveling with his father. He wore jeans to dinner every night. He dressed up on Captains night by wearing a collared polo shirt. They didn't throw him out, or anything!

There were only 2 children on our trip. I think the boy did wear a tie one night, can't remember if he had a jacket or not. The girl wore a nice dress.

The women's dress was mixed - some shinny dresses and other more casual. But, still dressy. I don't know that anything you wear will be wrong.

Definitely, no tuxedos for the men! I'm sure you are dissapointed to have that confirmed.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

LOL, ellenw - not disappointed at all! Don't want to have to deal w/ the tuxedo! But my husband will probably wear a suit one night and a sport coat w/ tie the other (of our two "dressy" nights). BTW, of the Captain's Champagne Reception and the Captain's Dinner, is one more "dressy" than the other? I appreciate all the info from everyone - we only have one week left until we go! Now that I know what everyone is going to wear I can start packing, right?!?

TXMommy

Old May 30th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Th Captain's Champagne Reception is held right before the Captain's Dinner, it is on the same night, no need to take two jackets. By the way Captain Dugger and his wife are lovely people, very down to earth and friendly.

Old May 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hmmmm....I was told we would have two "formal" dinners on our 4-night cruise - I thought one was the Captain's Champagne Reception evening and the other was the Captain's Dinner evening. Am I incorrect? If both are the same night, is there still another "dressy" dinner on a 4-night?

TXMommy

Old May 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

There was only one dressy night on the 4night cruise we were on. The rest of the nights were pretty casual.

Old May 30th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I called Delta Queen today and was told that the second night out was the Captain's Champagne Reception and that people dressed up for that, and that the last night was the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and that was dressy, too. So I'm expecting 2 "dressy" evenings and 2 more casual - is that a reasonable assumption? Is one "dressier" than the other? Help! I'm having Packing Anxiety!

TXMommy

Old May 31st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unless they changed since the April 26 sailing, I would go with one dressy night on the 4 day cruise. I have looked over my "Steamboatin' Events" papers and it does not say anything about a Captain's Farewell Dinner, our last night was Mardi Gras Theme. Also as I stated before the Captains Dinner was not all that dressy (I was somewhat surprised), most women were not "dressy" as I had expected. The men all had sport coats or suits on, but a lot of the women had more going to church or work clothes on. I would say more casual than dressy would be the way to pack. These days anything you were is OK.

Old May 31st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I say your husband only needs to take one suite or sport coat. Mix it with two different shirts and ties. No one will notice. Keep your packing to a minimum! I always take too much. I hear there is a small laundry on board if you need it. One of our fellow travellers was alone, and booked a very small inside cabin, which happened to be right next to the laundry. He said there were people in there doing laundry on the first day of the cruise. He thought maybe they brought their clothes from home dirty, and did them on board!

I love reading everyones reviews! Especially about New Orleans. It makes me realize that the 3 nights we spent there weren't nearly enough. We thought we would never be interested in doing a New Orleans/Riverboat week long combo rather than a full week on the boat, but it's really starting to sound good to me. But, we want to do a future riverboat trip on either the upper Mississippi or one of the other rivers they travel, farther north. So, maybe we will just visit NO sometime.

I really need more vacation time and more money to do everything I want to!