Don't try to hide liquor on the Sun!!!!!!

asaberan

Me and my girlfriend just got back from the western Caribbean Cruise on the Sun and we had a GREAT TIME. I think every vacation we go on will be a cruise now. Great food, beatiful ship, lots to do, great staff...I could go on and on.

Anyway, I had a bottle of Aloe in my checked suitcase. My girlfriend got her bag delivered and mine never came. So several hours later, I went searching. The lady at the front desk told me to go up to a room in the Atrium to see if "the x ray machine picked up something ti didn't like in my bag." I was bewildered because all I had was a nailclipper that could be considered anything dangerous. Turns out, they found the bottle of aloe and thought it was liquor. If you have it (as many people around me found out) you must give it to them and they keep it until the end of the cruise. Hope this helps people because I was going to try it!!

We were on the SUN in February, and we managed to "smuggle" on the equivalent of 10 bottles of wine in our luggage undetected. We bought 2 four litre boxes of wine, and they just ignored it. Very handy, as we just poured a glass whenever we wanted. And we left it out in the open in our room and the porter just ignored it. Who knows, maybe he helped himself to a few glasses - we would have never known!

asaberan: My husband and I just returned from the Sun this week also. All our liquor made it on board. icon_smile.gif Hope you enjoyed the cruise. We had a blast!!

Eric and Beth

Seaward (Norwegian Sea) - Southern Caribbean - 1995

Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 2001

Sea Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2002

Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean - 2004

Hoping our next cruise is in:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00FF00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;05;21;06;00;00&timezone=EST-0300

My whole family went aboard with six 40 oz bottles of Rum. Only one of the bottles were discovered. My brother-in-law put his rum into coke bottles but the rest of us had it in the original bottle. Cheap bar bill and Great trip. However one of the bartenders in the club did poured incredible drinks.

We just got back from 7 days on the Dawn. Out of the 3 couples traveling none of us were questioned about our "water" or "club soda" plastic bottles that went thru baggage.

I'm thinking, mouthwash bottle, vodka and food coloring to achieve appropriate color.

LOL

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Who's coming with us on the Norwegian Sun?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;12;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 1 year later...

My husband had a "soft" cooler in his bag with 2 6's of Coors, I took on a 4-pack of wine (each bottle stuffed in my shoes), and 2-8 oz. sport bottles of "water" in my pocketbook. Each day our room steward iced our cooler and we had a small fridge to keep everything cold. We still ordered drinks but it was definitely a savinigs.

If you want to drink in your cabin, you should be able to bring your own bottle; ever stay at a hotel and have them tell you no liquor in the room, that you must order it from room service?

Now I never would bring it to a resturant unless I was advised to do so; corkage fee for resturant is fine by me, but come on,let us bring a few bottles per person on board for a week! Change the rules!

If you want to drink in your cabin, you should be able to bring your own bottle; ever stay at a hotel and have them tell you no liquor in the room, that you must order it from room service?

Now I never would bring it to a resturant unless I was advised to do so; corkage fee for resturant is fine by me, but come on,let us bring a few bottles per person on board for a week! Change the rules!

Might I suggest you contact NCL and express your feelings to them? That's the fastest way for you to get your point across. Also, I agree with you to a certain extent...if you want to drink in your cabin, you should be able to IF THE CRUISE LINE ALLOWS YOU TO BRING ALCOHOL ONTO THEIR SHIP. If the cruise line does not allow you to take alcohol onto their ship, then you're out of luck and should book another line if it's that important to you. Your NCL vacation is already booked but thankfully you'll know for future cruise choices.

Right on Donna! Couldn't agree more!

Having said that, I've ordered the 'bar set-up' for 2 cabins (3 bottles) for a total of $141. It doesn't sit well with me, but I don't want the embarrassment of the liquor police catching me! Now if they can just get the order right.....so far they haven't.....completely forgot one cabin's order. I have to check with them again today. Waiting 'on hold' is no fun either, but at least everyone I've spoken to has been nice and friendly.

Now if they would just enforce the dress code! Ah, but there's no money in that rule!

M.

Now if they would just enforce the dress code! Ah, but there's no money in that rule!
Let me see if I understand you correctly...you're all for them enforcing a dress code because it's their rule but you want them to disregard their rule about alcohol? Interesting. We should just pick and choose what rules we want to follow.

Let me see if I understand you correctly...you're all for them enforcing a dress code because it's their rule but you want them to disregard their rule about alcohol? Interesting. We should just pick and choose what rules we want to follow.
you aee right on. I did question NCL on the liquor rules, I wrote to them and got a call back from customer service. The young man I spoke with was very pleasant, he also assured by the policy would not be changed in the near future. I appreciated his call and accepted his message. We live in a world where rules need to be followed. When we cruised NCL last fall we did not try to hide our 3 bottles of wine nor did the other 2 couples traveling with us; we were prepared to pay a cockage fee, they saw the wine, I guess cause it was so little we got thru with no problems. An earlier poster said they got their wine convescated, it must have been before the wine policy changed which I beleive was last October. NMnita

Well not exactly Cecelia.....What I would like is if they are going to enforce one rule, then enforce all of them. Don't be lax with the dress code and confiscste liquor......or vice versa for that matter. Both of the rules are theirs and they should enforce both of them or not have them.....simple as that.

M.

I would gladly pre order my liquor ahead of time and purchase it from the cruise line at a reasonable price , however all the liens have different rules. We purchased 4 litres of liquor from HAL ship services last year at approx 19 per litre. A fair price and everyone wins ( we know they pay about 9 or 10 bucks a bottle, so a little profit is better than none if I bring my own) We have been on 13 cruises including 2 NCL and have never had liqour confiscated.

It may not make any difference to anyone, but I just wanted to point out that this thread was originally started back in April 2004. Obviously, there's no rule against reviving a long dormant thread, but I figured there's a chance that someone might read the thread not realizing that some of the earlier statements may no longer apply, or at the very least aren't current.

Well not exactly Cecelia.....What I would like is if they are going to enforce one rule, then enforce all of them. Don't be lax with the dress code and confiscste liquor......or vice versa for that matter. Both of the rules are theirs and they should enforce both of them or not have them.....simple as that.
Now tht makes sense. The cruise line should enforce all the rules. I totally agree. :) Question...if NCL did suddenly enforce the dress code rules, would you or others then give up smuggling booze forever because all the rules are suddenly being enforced?

Now tht makes sense. The cruise line should enforce all the rules. I totally agree. :) Question...if NCL did suddenly enforce the dress code rules, would you or others then give up smuggling booze forever because all the rules are suddenly being enforced?

Hmmmmm...... I'll tell you.....it sure would help! But....forever is a long time!!! At first glance I would say that as long as they don't raise the price of the bar set-up to be too unreasonable, I would prob'ly comply. Hey! They're not even enforcing the dress code, and I'm complying!!! But some more thought may be required. Actually the whole thing is academic 'cuz I am older than dirt, and this will likely be my last cruise (except for our family cruise at Xmas).

Really the thing about it is....the world is made up of rules and regs. from country, to state, to city and on down the line, and we have to obey them. But..... some of these rules are not fair and don't make any sense. They should be reviewed from time to time to see how effective they are, and most are. As Donna said, we would be very upset if we couldn't take our own bottles into a hotel room. The liquor thing on NCL is obviously a money grab, and when people feel 'taken', they look for ways to get around the rule. This is all it is. Our liquor is no better than NCL's liquor, and if the cost of the bar set-up was only marginally higher (to allow for SOME profit), I'm sure people would be happy to leave their own at home and not have to risk a) the possible breakage and b)schleping (I love that word!) the booze across the country. How much could it cost NCL to put a bottle of scotch (or whatever) in the cabin???

Oh, I understand that cruise prices are low (?) and profit is made on the extras, but people just don't like the feeling of 'being had'.

I'd better get off my soap box......gotta see if I can stuff all our clothes into the luggage I have.

M.

I think your above post, "let us bring a few bottles" is the reason that cruiselines have allowed no liquor. I have been sailing for many years, and in the "old days" one could bring a bottle of liquor for a person or two for two etc. There were many people who took advantage of that by bringing their own drinks (already made up) to the pool, dining room etc. So now, we are all penalized for those who took advantage of the situation. I like having a drink in my cabin while getting dressed for dinner. I will not resort to putting liquor into coke bottles etc. The cruiselines are going to realize that's what's being done. I also am one for saving money on a cruise, so I might choose to not drink or to have a drink that's on special. I guess I don't understand why people try to "sneak" liquor on board and then post on here how they got away with it. If I were to do that, I sure wouldn't post in an open forum so the world knows how I did it. What do you think the odds are that you will be able to continue doing so or is this the only cruise you were on/planning to go on. It makes no sense to me, but that's MHO.

Katie

Hmmmmm...... I'll tell you.....it sure would help! But....forever is a long time!!! At first glance I would say that as long as they don't raise the price of the bar set-up to be too unreasonable, I would prob'ly comply. Hey! They're not even enforcing the dress code, and I'm complying!!! But some more thought may be required. Actually the whole thing is academic 'cuz I am older than dirt, and this will likely be my last cruise (except for our family cruise at Xmas).

Really the thing about it is....the world is made up of rules and regs. from country, to state, to city and on down the line, and we have to obey them. But..... some of these rules are not fair and don't make any sense. They should be reviewed from time to time to see how effective they are, and most are. As Donna said, we would be very upset if we couldn't take our own bottles into a hotel room. The liquor thing on NCL is obviously a money grab, and when people feel 'taken', they look for ways to get around the rule. This is all it is. Our liquor is no better than NCL's liquor, and if the cost of the bar set-up was only marginally higher (to allow for SOME profit), I'm sure people would be happy to leave their own at home and not have to risk a) the possible breakage and b)schleping (I love that word!) the booze across the country. How much could it cost NCL to put a bottle of scotch (or whatever) in the cabin???

Oh, I understand that cruise prices are low (?) and profit is made on the extras, but people just don't like the feeling of 'being had'.

I get what you're saying. :) Thanks for the civil discussion about it. Truth is, I don't smuggle booze because I don't really drink. If I have two drinks during a cruise, I've done a lot. And I don't care if others do. My husband brought a bottle of rum on our last cruise. My mom brings bourbon on her cruises. If they can get away with it, more power to them. My one and only sticking point is that if the cruise line has a policy that you can't bring alcohol onboard and you try and get caught and they take it away, you can't be mad about that. Yes, maybe it's a silly rule but it's their rule. And if you get caught, well, no harm done. Life goes on. If bringing alcohol is that important, I don't think I'd cruise a line that doesn't allow that. Again, it doesn't matter to me. Smuggle...don't smuggle. To each his own just know what the cruise line policy is before embarking. :)

Just wait until they have the "alcohol detection system" installed. Nobody gets through with a drink - carry on or checked. Technology to improve safety is a great thing eh? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

-Norman

Since I graduated from college in 1972 and am part of the older generation who sometimes thinks it is a good idea to break the rules when they are so foolish, I may give it a try!

Will let you know I make out; I will smuggle a bottle of champagnce and a bottle of wine; would like the champagne for the celebration when we leave Honolulu and the wine for the week long cruise. I will buy wine at dinner and buy drinks at the bar, but this is to be consummed in the room. I will hide them in my luggage. Maybe it will be fun to wait for my luggage and guilty admit I broke the rules and have to wait for the bottles to drink in Honolulu post-stay!

Just wait until they have the "alcohol detection system" installed. Nobody gets through with a drink - carry on or checked. Technology to improve safety is a great thing eh? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

-Norman

I was thinking the same thing ... we're not supposed to bring candy into the movie theater either but they, thankfully, don't pat us down as we walk in. I wouldn't personally bring liquor onboard but mostly because I simply don't drink enough to bother risking it breaking and ruining my clothes (as if I could fit it in my suitcase!). It's the ship's rule and people are either going to abide by it or not but I'm not sure I want the screeners distracted from their more important job looking for a couple bottles of liquor.

:cool:

Archived