Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Jamaica

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Default Phil Lafayette is the BEST

When in Jamaica, I highly recommend Phil Lafayette.

We were on the 5 night Enchantment of the Seas,we booked Phil online prior to sailing.
I have to say, we couldn't have made a better choice! There were 8 of us, ages 11-65. There was a total of 12 on our tour, 4 others from our ship. First we toured Ocho Rios, then Phil took us to "his falls" which were absolutely beautiful. Then we headed over to Dunn's River Falls, where he hooked us up with a guide. He was waiting for us when we finished climbing and he drove us back to the ship. My family and myself wanted "authentic" Jamaican food, so back on the bus with Phil for lunch at a wonderful little restaurant..we let Phil order for us and were happy to share lunch and conversation with him. He then dropped us off at Margaritaville.

He sent me an e-mail yesterday, to say hi and to make sure we all made it home safely.
I think he is really special.

Until Our Enchantment Cruise

Until My Cruise to Hawaii on Infinity

Summit 11 night cruise

Old June 20th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I booked a tour with Phil for next week. He responded to my e mail within 24 hrs. He said to let him know what we wanted to do and he would try and accomodate our requests. From what I've been reading on these boards he is a great tour guide. I'll let you know how it went when we get back! Do you remember the name of the restaurant he took you to?

Old June 20th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Enjoy your cruise, this was my 2nd time on Enchantment within 6 months.

Don't remember the name of the restaurant, but just tell Phil it's the one he took Nancy, Michelle & Gabrielle to after Dunn's River Falls. It was nothing fancy, we sat under a tiki hut and let him order for us. It was really good.
Nancy

Until Our Enchantment Cruise

Until My Cruise to Hawaii on Infinity

Summit 11 night cruise

Old June 24th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've been reading reviews and think I'm going to go with Phil also. How far in advance did you book? I'm not going until March '05 so I know I don't need to book yet, but just curious how far in advance most people do. I am going the week after Easter so it may be a bit busier than normal.

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh, you won't be sorry you went with Phil. Hands down one of the best tours I've ever taken.

Lisa

RCI Monarch of the Seas 1996
Royal Majesty 1996
Carnival Victory 2004
RCI Legend of the Seas 2005
RCI Voyager of the Seas 2006
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Inspiration 2009

A day at sea is better than a day at work

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Phabulous Phil

We (husband, 2 young sons) booked Phil in April 2004 and had a wonderful time. He took us around Ocho Rios and showed us some local homes, schools, etc. We stopped at some guy who played with fire (I could have lived without the stop) and then went tubing on the White River and then onto Dunns Falls. Short stop at a local craft deal. We did stop for lunch at a local restaurant which we did NOT enjoy and there seemed to be some issue with the food bill that Phil was not too happy with but this being Jamaica, we paid and left -- no problem Mon.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our time with Phil and I highly recommend him. His prices were very reasonable and he definately was not in a rush to get hurry you along. He clearly loves his country and has many interesting facts/stories to share.
Norwegian Dawn - 2006
Crown Princess - 2008

Old July 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeet222
I've been reading reviews and think I'm going to go with Phil also. How far in advance did you book? I'm not going until March '05 so I know I don't need to book yet, but just curious how far in advance most people do. I am going the week after Easter so it may be a bit busier than normal.
Hey Barefeet
We are also sailing the week after (or beginning w/Easter) and are thinking of going with Phil. What ship are you cruzin' on? I was also wondering when the best time to book.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
If you really wanna know where you can find me
I'll be unwinding
Down in the islands, down in the islands
You should lose track of your timing
Grab a drink beside me
Down in the islands, down in the islands...Zac Brown

She wants a Piña Colada in a pint glass...
She wants to be where the summer won’t stop,
She wants gin clear water and milk white sand,
A sunburned nose and a drink in her hand
With a pink umbrella on top!... Gaelic Storm

Celebrity Silhouette 03/14 Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale)
Celebrity Summit 03/13 Southern Caribbean (San Juan)
RCCL Adventure of the Seas 03/12 Southern Caribbean (San Juan)
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 03/11 Southern Caribbean (San Juan)
RCCL Radiance of the Seas 8/09 Alaska (Vancouver)
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 02/08 Caribbean (Galveston)
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 02/07 Panama Canal (Miami)
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 03/05 W. Caribbean (Port Canaveral)
NCL Dreamward 04/95 W. Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale)
Cunard QEII 08/92 New England/Canada (New York)
Cunard Countess 01/92 S.Caribbean (San Juan)
Cunard Princess 08/91 E.Caribbean (San Juan)
Cunard Princess 08/90 Bermuda (New York)
Cunard Princess 05/90 Bermuda (New York)
Carnival Celebration 02/88 E.Caribbean

Old July 8th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default You can't go wrong with Phil

We just got back from a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Triumph. This was our first time in Jamaica and Phil made sure we enjoyed it. One of the best things it that he gives you options as to what all you want to see and do. He doesn't force any shopping or things like that on you. My wife and kids had a wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to book with Phil again.

John

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Pattie, could you provide some more info on the tubing? Also, how long did your tour take? We are only in Ocho Rios for 6 hrs. Thanks, Alan.
Paradise E. Carribbean Mar 03 (great!)
Dawn Princess E & W Carribean Oct 4 04, ehh
Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 29 2006, GREAT
Sun Princess, Southern Carribean Oct 31 2006, Nice and met some great people
Glory Western Carribean, Coming soon 9/20/08

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Phil Lafayette Tours - Great Tour Guide

July 21, 2004 - We went on the Mariner of the Seas and I found out about Phil before we left. I had sent him a email about what we would like to do and he replyed back quickly. When we arrived in Ocho Rios he had someone to meet us at the end of the pier. He took us on a tour and told us all about his home land. Which is beautiful. We went to Dunn's River Falls which was a fun excursion. It was a little to crowded, but the kids enjoyed. We had a large crowd so we opted to go back to the ship, a couple little ones and a couple older ones, we had worn out at the falls. I would highly recommend Phil. He is very friendly and very reliable. Thank you Phil for a great experience.

ya mon

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Phil Lafayette - Ocho Rios & White River Tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyern
Pattie, could you provide some more info on the tubing? Also, how long did your tour take? We are only in Ocho Rios for 6 hrs. Thanks, Alan.

We toured in April with Phil Lafayette in Ocho Rios- everything you read about him is true - he is GREAT! We were a little leery about Ocho Rios in general and Dunns River Falls in particular, but thought we'd take a chance with Phil. He made the day great - we saw all the typical sites, including Dunn's River - the tour can be as long or short as you like in order to accommodate your own schedule. The absolute best was tubing on the White River - Phil recommended it and it was outstanding! My husband and I and a great guide floated down a beautiful river and saw a part of Jamaica most tourists miss - it was cool and quiet and a lot of fun - simply outstanding. Phil made us feel like we really got to see a little of Jamaica in a day, and made a new friend there - try him, you won't be disappointed. Phil - told you we wouldn't forget - yeah mon!!

Old July 28th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch
We toured in April with Phil Lafayette in Ocho Rios- everything you read about him is true - he is GREAT! We were a little leery about Ocho Rios in general and Dunns River Falls in particular, but thought we'd take a chance with Phil. He made the day great - we saw all the typical sites, including Dunn's River - the tour can be as long or short as you like in order to accommodate your own schedule. The absolute best was tubing on the White River - Phil recommended it and it was outstanding! My husband and I and a great guide floated down a beautiful river and saw a part of Jamaica most tourists miss - it was cool and quiet and a lot of fun - simply outstanding. Phil made us feel like we really got to see a little of Jamaica in a day, and made a new friend there - try him, you won't be disappointed. Phil - told you we wouldn't forget - yeah mon!!
Well they have reduced our port time to 5 hours now, which is really 4 1/2 hours. How long did it take y'all to do this. Was the charge $50? Thanks.
Paradise E. Carribbean Mar 03 (great!)
Dawn Princess E & W Carribean Oct 4 04, ehh
Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 29 2006, GREAT
Sun Princess, Southern Carribean Oct 31 2006, Nice and met some great people
Glory Western Carribean, Coming soon 9/20/08

Old July 28th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I booked a tour with Phil last April for our group of 7 and we all had a great time with him. He is really a great guide and you feel safe with him. We wouldn't consider anyone else for a tour in Ocho if ever there again.You won't be sorry if you choose Phil to show Ocho Rios !!!

Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Phil Can't Be Beat!

Our group of six used Phil last week and had an absolutely wonderful time.

Phil met us promptly at the dock (we had booked a tour with him through his website at www.phil-lafayette-tours.com) and after introductions (very funny), a quick lesson on being honorary Jamaicans (yeah mon, no problem, irie mon!)...we set about on a scenic drive around the area (Phil does a great job of telling you about the plants/trees/flowers, the school system, the housing, all sorts of interesting information and even stops at a little stand by the side of the road to show you some "local culture"). And did I mention singing...not only is Phil quite knowledgable about his country, he's quite the entertainer too!

Our day included climbing the Falls (WOW, what a blast...I wanted to go back to the bottom and do it again!), a white-water tubing ride (also, very fun), and lunch at an outside-type restaurant Phil choose (yummy....messy, but yummy!)

Our experience with Phil made Jamaica an awesome adventure and I couldn't give any higher compliment than to say if I'm ever in Jamaica again (talkin' fast and walkin' slow)...it just wouldn't be the same without Phil!

If you have any questions about Phil or his tours...just ask. I'd love to relive our Jamaican adventures with you!

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Beach at Base of Dunns Falls

Hello!

Can anyone tell me - How is the beach at the foot of Dunns Falls?
Is it worth going there for swimming? Would there be a place to lay or sit down and relax?

Old December 9th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Ocho Rios / Phil Lafayette question

I've not been to Ocho Rios, we will be there in January aboard the Westerdam and I'm leaning toward booking Phil based on all the positive things I've read about him.
1st. Does the ship tie up to a dock there, or is it tendered?
2nd. Where does Phil meet his tours, at the dock, or do we have to somehow get to him?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old December 9th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ralphpea, I booked Phil for our tour next week.

Here's the email confirmation he sent:

Hi Shirley & family,
Welcome to Jamaica on your Cruise and Excursion. It's my pleasure to be your host on your visit to my Tropical Paradise. Your reservation for a party of 2 possibly 3 arriving December 14 ,2004 on the Navigator of the Seas is confirmed .
Duration for your tour is approximately 4 hours and can be flexible u decide. Payments are made at the end of the tour after a fun-filled and enjoyable day.Take along watershoe and disposable water cameras, they come in handy for the entire cruise and works well on some off the beaten path adventures on my tour.
On disembarking your ship in Ocho Rios Jamaica, there is a Tourist Board Liaison on the gang way , with a sign having my name, Phil Lafayette. This person or their boss has the responsibility to make contact with me by means of radio or telephone to ensure you a prompt and efficient dispatch. Remember we meet within half an hour of your ship disembarkation.. Happy Cruising.

Phil Lafayette
www.phil-lafayette-tours.com
1-876-427 5829

Old December 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Answers to your Questions about Phil

Ships dock in Jamaica...it's not a tender port, so you do not have that hassle. If you book with Phil I guarantee you will have a fantastic time. He will meet you right at the dock ..... it was absolutely the greatest day for us. Any further questions...be sure and post.

Old December 11th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can someone give me an approximate cost of lunch. Just trying to get my budget set.

And in reply to an earlier question, the beach at the base of the falls is wonderful--beautiful white sand, calm water (at least when we were there), and a wonderful mix of fresh and salt water.

Old December 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I also was wondering about the cost of lunch. Do you pay for Phil as well. I just want to make sure I do the right thing AND bring along enough $$$$.
RCL Independence of the Seas March 2010
Carnival Dream April 2013
Carnival Ecstasy October 2013
Carnival Valor January 2014
Next up: Carnival Victory October 2014
Next up: Carnival Valor January 2015