"LIVE" from the Century / 03-19-06

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:09 PM.
6,051 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
I will be leaving today for beautiful Florida, and will be boarding the Century on Sunday March 19.

Join me for my "LIVE" reports from the Century with daily comments, ship reports ( pre-remodel) and lots of pics....

Radio
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon !

Anthem of the Seas / June 2017

5 NEW Videos

*Oasis of the Seas 2017
*MSC Divina May 2016
*Quantum of the Seas –January 2015
*Quantum of the Seas 2 Night Pre Inaugural
*Carnival Pride 2015- Bahamas

Radio's Cruise Album
Ship Photos
Cabin Pics
Video's
Ports of Call
Photos from "LIVE" Cruises and More !
Albuquerque, NM
7,454 Posts
Joined May 2003
Hi Radio,

Sounds like fun! Our group will be boarding the Century as you disembark. Looking forward to your posts.

Have a great cruise!
Kel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises: NCL Pearl BtoB (12/2017), MSC Seaside (Yacht Club, 03/2018) Cunard Victoria (WC, 02/2019), and the Cunard Queen Mary 2 (TA, 4/2019)
----------------
Past Cruises:
Celebrity -- Horizon (‘93), Galaxy (‘97), Zenith (‘98), Constellation (‘02), Century (‘02), Millennium (‘03), Summit (‘04), Mercury (‘05), Galaxy (‘05), Century (‘06), Millennium (‘06) , Constellation (‘08), Constellation (‘08), Solstice (‘09), Solstice (‘10), Eclipse (‘11), Summit (‘11), Millennium (‘11), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('13), Infinity ('13), Infinity ('13), Century ('13), Century ('14), Eclipse ('14), Reflection ('15), Equinox ('15), and the Equinox ('17)
Holland America -- Veendam (‘03), Volendam (‘04), Zuiderdam (‘05), Westerdam (‘06), Maasdam (‘07), Maasdam (‘07), Westerdam (‘08), Maasdam (‘09), Nieuw Amsterdam (‘11), and the Westerdam ('16)
Royal Caribbean -- Rhapsody of the Seas (‘01), Voyager of the Seas (‘02), Splendor of the Seas (‘02), Grandeur of the Seas (‘04), Vision of the Seas (‘04), Radiance of the Seas (‘09), Allure of the Seas ('12), Navigator of the Seas ('14), and the Anthem of the Seas ('15)
NCL -- Starward (‘78), Norwegian Dream (‘95), Norweigan Sea (‘01), NCL Jewel ('15), NCL Jade ('16), Getaway ('17), and the Escape ('17)
Princess -- Star Princess (‘03), Caribbean Princess (‘05), and the Golden Princess ('13)
Azamara -- Journey (‘07) Oceania -- Regatta (‘09) Cunard -- Queen Mary 2 (‘10), and Queen Mary 2 ('13)
Sitmar -- Fairsea (‘82)

(522 days total)
Fredericksburg, VA USA
5,302 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
I hope he won't mind if I take a moment to make a plug here.. for those of you who may not ever wander over to the Royal Caribbean board, Radio has done this at least twice before that I know of, and we are all in for a treat. If you are scheduled to be on the Century soon, prepare for a tidbit that will make you more anxious than ever for your own sail date!

Theron
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click here to tell me stuff
-----------------------------------------------------
NCL Getaway 2/21/2016 Western | Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [133 days at sea! and counting!]
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]
6,051 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Hello everyone..My journey has now begun....... I boarded the Autotrain today in Lorton, VA. The train just left the station, and we should arrive in Sanford, FL (just north of Orlando) by 8:30 AM. It should be much warmer in Sanford,FL than it is here.....brrrrrr. The drive to Fort Lauderdale should be about 4 or 4.5 hours. Hopefully I will get to FLL early, so I can watch a Spring Training Game ( Oriloles VS STL) at Fort Lauderdale Stadium at 1:05

I will be staying tomorrow at the Marriott Courtyard in Plantation, FL. (About 8 mi from Port Everglades). The downtown hotels were crazy pricing...I guess this is a big cruise weekend.

The Century Will be docked at Pier 18 tomorrow ( This is usually the pier for Millenium and Infinity, but Infinity will be at 29 tomorrow. )

The train is a little rocky right now so I will check in later (pending connection).

Thanks for tuning in !

WOW..Thanks for the Plug Theron....

Radio

Auto Train

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon !

5 NEW Videos

*Oasis of the Seas 2017
*MSC Divina May 2016

Radio's Cruise Album
Ship Photos
Cabin Pics
Video's
Ports of Call
Fredericksburg, VA USA
5,302 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Hey! You're welcome.. I will stay tuned, even though I'm not planning any cruises on Century anytime soon. She was my first cruise, so always a fond memory.

Did you take your car on the train? Every time I looked at the pricing for that, it seemed like you could rent a car for a month for about the same price as taking one down on the train.

Theron
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Getaway 2/21/2016 Western | Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [133 days at sea! and counting!]
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
1,024 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Radio,

thanks for the exciting updates soon to come. I am one of the group sailing will Kelmac on the 26th. It will be an awesome way to spend a pre-xcruise week, looking forward to updates on current Century news. I've been wondering about stand up comedians and other entertainers on our sailing. I hope we have a fun CD and staff.
Have a great time.

Rita
432 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
I'm really looking forward to your posts -- I loved reading them and viewing your pictures on the RCCL board.

I've been reading here that the Century will be in for drydock. Can you pass on any info that you may gather regarding what it is they plan to do to her? Thanks.
6,051 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by TPKeller
Hey! You're welcome.. I will stay tuned, even though I'm not planning any cruises on Century anytime soon. She was my first cruise, so always a fond memory.

Did you take your car on the train? Every time I looked at the pricing for that, it seemed like you could rent a car for a month for about the same price as taking one down on the train.

Theron

Yes... I took my car. Passengers aren't allowed without a vehicle .It's really not that much. If I drove I would use about 160.00 for gas plus hotel, plus food. The Auto train costs about 250 each way (depending on time of year).All meals are included on the A/T

I love the Autotrain...because I hate to fly. I do fly...but I avoid it when I can.

We have just crossed the SC border....

Radio
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon !

5 NEW Videos

*Oasis of the Seas 2017
*MSC Divina May 2016

Radio's Cruise Album
Ship Photos
Cabin Pics
Video's
Ports of Call
Fredericksburg, VA USA
5,302 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by Radio
I love the Autotrain...because I hate to fly. I do fly...but I avoid it when I can.
Hey, and you don't have to turn your laptop / cell phone off when you get ready to land!!

I hope you waved when you went through Fredericksburg...

Theron
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
6,051 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Hello everyone.....It looks like we will be a little late getting in to Sanford.

We should arrive about 10:30AM.....I wont be able to see the Spring Training game, but thats OK. I will be boarding the Century tomorrow at about 11AM. I'll will just use the afternoon to rest and maybe sit by the pool...

There was a passenger emergency last night that forced us to be detained for a while in Lumberton, NC. I hope he will be OK....

We are now in Jacksonville, FL. The current temperature is 60F. It's warming up already

Radio
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon !

5 NEW Videos

*Oasis of the Seas 2017
*MSC Divina May 2016

Radio's Cruise Album
Ship Photos
Cabin Pics
Video's
Ports of Call
Orange Park, Florida
4,749 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
I'm new to this board, but will be looking forward to your posts from the Century as I have some newlywed friends on board for their honeymoon

I've bookmarked this thread and look forward to hearing more from you during the week!

PS - glad you thought our chilly morning in Jax was comfortable! Have a great cruise!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!!
Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern,April 2001, 7 days ~~
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002, 7 days ~~
Cross-Country RV trip, Summer, 2003, 60 days ~~
Regal Princess, Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004, 15 days ~~
Caribbean Princess, E Carib, Nov 13-20, 2004, 7 days
Coral Princess, Alaska SB, May 21-28, 2005, 7 days
Star Princess, E Carib, Oct 16-23, 2005, 7 days ~~
HAL ms Westerdam, E Carib, April 2-9, 2006; 7 days
Sun Princess, S Carib, Nov 30-Dec 10, 2006; 10 days
Coral Princess, Panama Canal, Oct 31, 2007, 10 days
Grand Princess, 3 Continent TA, 4/12/08, 20 days
Crown Princess, Quebec to FLL, 15 days, Oct 23, 2009
Carnival Ecstasy, Bahamas, Nov 26, 2011, 5 days
Crown Princess, S Carib, March 17, 2012, 7 days
Carnival Fascination, Bahamas, June, 2012, 5 days
Ruby Princess, TA & Greek Isles, Apr 28-May 24, 2013, 26 days
seattle
561 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Hey Radio!

thats cool that you have nation wide wireless! glad your enjoying our florida weather!

I'm going on the same cuise as radio and i have to say he is a great photographer! just look at some of his pics! click on the link in his sig. I guess he wont be hard to spot tomorrow, just look for the guy with the camera.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Probably posted from Tapatalk, please forgive auto correct errors.

MS Westerdam
MS Zaandam
MS Inspiration
MS Grandeur of the seas
MS Elation
MS Horizon
MS Millennium
MS Century
MS Golden Princess
MS Celebrity Solstice
GTV Radiance of the Seas
6,051 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
They showed a second movie this morning since we were delayed....but we just arrived in Sanford, and my car should be unloaded very soon. I will post some more pics when I get to my Hotel in Platation,FL (west of Fort Lauderdale)

Sunny and Mild 70F

Radio
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon !

5 NEW Videos

*Oasis of the Seas 2017
*MSC Divina May 2016

Radio's Cruise Album
Ship Photos
Cabin Pics
Video's
Ports of Call
229 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by Radio
They showed a second movie this morning since we were delayed....but we just arrived in Sanford, and my car should be unloaded very soon. I will post some more pics when I get to my Hotel in Platation,FL (west of Fort Lauderdale)

Sunny and Mild 70F

Radio
I don't when you were last down, but Plantation is a lot more visible than it used to be......they lost many trees in Wilma last fall and you can actually see beyond the main streets to houses and yards. Hope you enjoy the drive down - weather is in the mid-80's already and no chance of rain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Serenade of the Seas April 2018
Oasis of the Seas May 2017
Majesty of the Seas October 2016
Carnival Sensation October 2008
Norwegian Pearl December 2007
Century April 2006
Voyager of the Seas October 2000
Majesty of the Seas May 1998
Sovereign of the Seas May 1993

Lancaster County Pa
46 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by flamingos
I don't when you were last down, but Plantation is a lot more visible than it used to be......they lost many trees in Wilma last fall and you can actually see beyond the main streets to houses and yards. Hope you enjoy the drive down - weather is in the mid-80's already and no chance of rain.
Radio..... I have been on this board for a long time, never reply, just read. I am soo looking forward for everything you have to tell us, We will have a four generation family cruise on the Century next year. This is the first X for everyone in our family. I will absorb every tid bit of info. Thanks for taking the time out to do this for all of us.
1,024 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
MitzSea
At least you know how to do the quote thing..I've never bothered to try it.
Next year the Century will be all new and beautiful. Your family will have a fabulous time, guaranteed!
Fredericksburg, VA USA
5,302 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
I'm not sure this will work... I did a search to try to find some of Radio's previous "Live" threads, and it returned what appeared to be a unique search ID... so... maybe the board software stores the search criteria, at least for a little while.

All that to say no guarantees, but at least for me for right now, this link returns several of his previous threads like this one is going to be.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/searc...archid=2999143

I didn't realize he had done so many of them!

Theron
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
7,062 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
Radio ~ what a small world ... we were in Sanford this morning taking our daughter back to the airport to catch a flight back north to college. Had never been in Sanford before but it was much easier than Orlando International would have been....and much less expensive. Sorry you were late getting in and missed the game but hopefully your drive south was uneventful and you're now enjoying some time in South Florida. Great weather, isn't it?

Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise. I know lots of people here on CC will be "tuning" in!

Bon Voyage!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Anne
[email protected]