Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:55 AM.
#1
Athens, GA
40 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We will be cruising the Inside Passage July 8-15. I am looking for any advise on shoes and jackets that will keep us dry and warm and at the same time not take up a tremendous amount of packing space.

Thanks for any help.
Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Starward 1990
SS Independence 1991
Carnival Inspiration 2002
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Pride of Aloha 2005
Carnival Celebration 2005
NCL Sun July 2006
Carnival Elation Feb. 2007
#2
Syracuse, New York
49,100 Posts
Joined May 2000
Most important is the layers, take a sweatshirt, turtle neck, tshirts, you need a lightweight lined jacket. Knit hat and gloves, rain gear. I always recommend 2 pair of walking shoes, nothing worse than damp hard to dry shoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com
#3
Athens, GA
40 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
I realize that temps can vary, but what extremes (hot and cold) can we expect in July?
Thanks,
Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Starward 1990
SS Independence 1991
Carnival Inspiration 2002
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Pride of Aloha 2005
Carnival Celebration 2005
NCL Sun July 2006
Carnival Elation Feb. 2007
#4
Washington
692 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I have been to Alaska several times in July. I have had 85 degree sunny weather in Alaska and 40 degree rainy weather. It all depends how the weather systems are set up. My advise is take a heavy jacket and rain gear, but also shorts.
#5
Miami, Fl
1,153 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I'm from Miami, so this whole concept of wearing layers and packing for such a varied climate is foreign to me Usually when we travel, we either pack for "cold" or "hot", so this is new to me.

I get the idea of bring a wide variety of clothes I guess, but I am confused as to what to wear on the ship in the evenings. Do I bring capris, light dresses, etc? As some have posted that on board people dress similar to in the Carribbean. Or do I bring long sleeve shirts, light sweaters, and long pants. I am packing for 4, and I really don't want to over pack and have to lug a ton of unnecessary clothing cross country, so
please help.

Also 90% of my clothes are capris and light short sleeve blouses or tanks, so I really need to know whether to go shopping
#6
Alabama
644 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I also would like to know if people dress for dinner as if they were on a caribbean cruise or if they are dressing more for the outside weather? I have put all my winter dress clothes away for the summer.

So........should I take summer dinner wear or winter dinner wear?

#7
NJ
1,068 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by emarismom
I'm from Miami, so this whole concept of wearing layers and packing for such a varied climate is foreign to me Usually when we travel, we either pack for "cold" or "hot", so this is new to me.

I get the idea of bring a wide variety of clothes I guess, but I am confused as to what to wear on the ship in the evenings. Do I bring capris, light dresses, etc? As some have posted that on board people dress similar to in the Carribbean. Or do I bring long sleeve shirts, light sweaters, and long pants. I am packing for 4, and I really don't want to over pack and have to lug a ton of unnecessary clothing cross country, so
please help.

Also 90% of my clothes are capris and light short sleeve blouses or tanks, so I really need to know whether to go shopping

Yep, this takes some serious thought.


I need to make sure not to store all of my winter closthes. I'm keeping out the more "transitional" clothing while also trying to figure out what I can wear twice. The concept of freestyle helps quite a bit. However, I refuse to overpack. Will pay for laundering services before having an abundance of luggage to deal with. And unlike traveling to warm climates, the clothes are thicker and take up more space. But oh well, I will have fun regardless!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Carnival Splendor E. Carib - June 2017
Carnival Vista Europe - August 2016
Carnival Breeze W. Carib - April 2015
Carnival Freedom W Carib - November 2013
<CENTER>
Carnival Liberty E. Carib - September 2011
Norwegian Jade Mediterrean - April 2011
MSC Poesia E. Carib - April 2010
Carnival Glory W. Carib - August 2008
NCL Pride of Aloha - May 2007
Norwegian Sun Alaska - June 2006
Carnival Paradise E. Carib - September 2002
RCCL "something" West Coast - some year
Memory loss 2001 prior...
#8
Alabama
644 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I also plan on taking fewer clothes, wearing things more than once and taking advantage of the laundry services. I told my daughters, 12 & 10 that they are also going to wear things more than once. Luckily, they haven't reached the age where that would be GROSS!

I thought about taking two pair of nice dress pants then different tops to mix and match with. I don't want to over pack in the dress clothes either.

As my daughter says, "Mom, when are you going to see these people again, who cares if you wear the same clothes during the week!!"
#9
Knoxville, TN, USA
1,638 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Finally found an advantage to being a middle-aged female. Since no one notices me anyway, I can wear the same things over and over.

I'm thinking one outfit for each weather extreme, lots of deoderant, and no spills!
#10
Miami, Fl
1,153 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Okay so I wear things more than once, I got that. I also plan on doing laundry, as we will be away for 10 days. Thank heaven our ship has washers/dryers. But as was stated earlier, the winter clothes take up more space. I always seriously overpack (for example, went to denver a few years back, and for a family of five, we had ten bags-suitcases and carry ons ) I really don't want to do that one again.

Now, it's only four of us going. I have been mentally preparing myself for three suitcases-Maxium (I have two young kids). Plus all the carry on stuff. Cameras, video camera, binoculars, possible portable dvd player (for six hour flight to and from Seattle).

Do I pack light clothes? I really don't want to take things that I probably won't wear. Also what about sandals? Is there a place for them on an Alaska cruise?
#11
Alabama
644 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I never realized how hard packing for Alaska was going to be!!! I promised my husband that we would each only have one suitcase for this trip. Well, I am going to pack a big duffle bag in one of our suitcases so I have a place to put all our Alaskan treasures!!!
#12
Knoxville, TN, USA
1,638 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by emarismom
Okay so I wear things more than once, I got that. I also plan on doing laundry, as we will be away for 10 days. Thank heaven our ship has washers/dryers. But as was stated earlier, the winter clothes take up more space. I always seriously overpack (for example, went to denver a few years back, and for a family of five, we had ten bags-suitcases and carry ons ) I really don't want to do that one again.

Now, it's only four of us going. I have been mentally preparing myself for three suitcases-Maxium (I have two young kids). Plus all the carry on stuff. Cameras, video camera, binoculars, possible portable dvd player (for six hour flight to and from Seattle).

Do I pack light clothes? I really don't want to take things that I probably won't wear. Also what about sandals? Is there a place for them on an Alaska cruise?
I don't know if it would help you, but when our daughter went to summer camp they suggested that we pack each day's clothes in an individual plastic bag - underwear, pants, T-shirt, socks - so that she'd have it all together. One advantage for travel is that you can then get rid of the air before you seal it and save space.
#13
Alaska
186 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
One of the first things you will notice is that Alaska is a VERY casual state. Comfort and safety win out over style. The 40-85 degree variation is not an exaggeration, hence the layering. Pile is warmer than cotton, especially if it gets wet (summer hypothermia is often 'death by cotton') and still lightweight. Frequently the wind chill factor can make a 70 degree day colder than a 50 degree day. And on the 50 degree day, you may be down to shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. So - pile, waterproof windbreaker, socks, a lightweight hat, sandals you can wear with socks (Chacos, Tevas), walking or running-type shoes, jeans, dressier pants or skirts for dinner, shorts, a couple of T-shirts (a long sleeved one is good), a good day pack to put layers in as you shed, and a close eye on the weather. Or if you want to look like a local commercial fisherman: shorts worn over long underwear, pile top, and Xtra-Tufs....
#15
Washington
692 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
No Wall Mart in Alaska, but the clothing buys are outstanding in most of the shops. Look around before you buy to get the best deals.

The inside ship temps are the same as hot weather cruises.
#16
Atlanta, Georgia
166 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
This is going to be a stupid question....what is pile? I live in the South so we do not have a need for certian types of winter clothes.
Tangerinebunny your middle age comment cracked me up and hit close to home.
#18
Seward,Alaska
1,198 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by alaskamt
One of the first things you will notice is that Alaska is a VERY casual state. Comfort and safety win out over style. The 40-85 degree variation is not an exaggeration, hence the layering. Pile is warmer than cotton, especially if it gets wet (summer hypothermia is often 'death by cotton') and still lightweight. Frequently the wind chill factor can make a 70 degree day colder than a 50 degree day. And on the 50 degree day, you may be down to shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. So - pile, waterproof windbreaker, socks, a lightweight hat, sandals you can wear with socks (Chacos, Tevas), walking or running-type shoes, jeans, dressier pants or skirts for dinner, shorts, a couple of T-shirts (a long sleeved one is good), a good day pack to put layers in as you shed, and a close eye on the weather. Or if you want to look like a local commercial fisherman: shorts worn over long underwear, pile top, and Xtra-Tufs....

Very well stated. The tourists always stick out....heehee


There are 2 Walmarts in Anchorage! I know them both very well.

I love hopelea's daughter's comment on "who cares if you wear the same clothes all week" ....so very very true...we don't care.. Most important is comfort and fun!!
#19
Miami, Fl
1,153 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Set2Travel,

I don't think it's a stupid question, as I too have no clue what pile is
I think pictures of typical Alaska fashion are in order if available, as I really don't want to "stick out".

I still don't have the answer to my question, do I bring capris and tank like tops to wear in the evenings? Will I be too cold? Please remember, I'm from Miami and cold is a relative term. (When 40 degree weather comes here, half of the students miss school ) I gues I could pack an extra light sweater in a nuetral color or a shawl. Of course this will again add to the amount I pack. Wal mart is sounding very good.

As for the sandals, I have never worn them with socks, so I don't think I'll start now. I'll have to make do with the closed shoes I've got. Or of course I can go shopping. Alaska is a mighty expensive place to visit.
#20
Seward,Alaska
1,198 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
I think they are referring towards flannel and fleece with the pile. Sweatpants and tops are very popular. Lots of gift stores to buy t-shirts/sweat shirts to wear and have as souvenirs. I wear capris, tshirt and sandals all summer and have already put my warm winter coat away except for trips to Anch in case of car trouble on the road. Rainy days a light jacket.

Don't mean to offend anyone but I really crack up laughing every year with these people that show up looking like a white bunny belonging in some high class ski resort.

Do you really want me to go take some pics of the locals? lmao I guess it would give me something to.