Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Costa Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Costa Cruises
Read hundreds of Costa Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Costa Cruise Deals.

Go To: Costa Cruises ROLL CALL Forum

Old April 9th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Wine package

Read that there is a wine package for $119 - and that gives you 6 bottles of wine and some water....please can someone give me details - what quality of wine do you get - is it the house special [and if so is it drinkable!]. Seems a good bargain - do you buy it beforehand or do you buy this package on board? thanks
RCI Oasis of the Seas 9/14 Western Med

RCI x 14.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
Nord Deutsche Lloyd Hessenstein x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default You really plan ahead, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by little britain
Read that there is a wine package for $119 - and that gives you 6 bottles of wine and some water....please can someone give me details - what quality of wine do you get - is it the house special [and if so is it drinkable!]. Seems a good bargain - do you buy it beforehand or do you buy this package on board? thanks
Hi LB, Your cruise is 13 months away, please chill out. The wine/water package offers both convenience and value. First off, the water is a $20 value as Costa charges $2 per bottle onboard. you get 10 bottles, choice of regular/spring water or carbonated "gas" water. The wine, you receive six (6) coupons to be redeemed for your wine, you can choose to use the coupons for the same variety of wine if you find one you love. There are two (2) packages available, one is white wines and the other is red/rose'. The package includes, 1 of the 6 bottles is a champagne (Prosecco) if I recall correctly. As to your inquiry if its drinkable, that depends on how big of a wine snob you are. All wine is drinkable. As to whether its to die for, everything is relative. You are paying about $16.50/bottle and with Costa's profit markup, these are probably about $10/bottle values. Last of all, you can order the wine/water package in advance or wait until your first day aboard. Bon Voyage!

Old April 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks for your very clear descriptive answer! FYI - I am totally chilled out this wet Sunday evening here in England .......I just like finding out facts - and along the line I hope that the questions I ask may be of use to others on this fantastic website!

ps: $10 a bottle seems like classy stuff to me!!!!

RCI x 14.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1

Old April 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am sailing in just a few weeks. Let me see if I understand the details -

For about $120 I get:
20 bottles of water - what size?
5 bottles of red/white wine - can I mix it up?
1 bottle of champagne/prosecco

I have tried the Costa website for these details but find it to be somewhat unclear. Infact, I am finding the website to be of little help in general. Is that a common experience or just me?

We booked just about 10 days ago so we haven't received our documents yet, I assume there is info included in there? Quite anxious to get these.

This will be our first time on Costa, really looking forward to it!

Old April 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you go to the Costa Website and put in your booking number, you can then add things like wine package, excursions etc.

Depending on how you booked your cruise it may be better to book these direct with Costa. For example, I booked my cruise through the travel agent where I work, direct with Costa. The price we got was a "pronto" price. That entitles you to a 10% discount on the wine package. I emailled Costa to ask if I should book via the website or through them direct. I received a reply advising to get the discount I would need to book through them. The prices they gave me in the email of 24th October was
WINE PACKAGE "CLASSIC" - £60.12
WINE PACKAGE "SPECIAL" - £65.55

Hope this helps/
Costa Fortuna 25th March 06 Mediterranean (Eclipse)
Thomsons Spirit 30th Sept 05 Mediterranean
Airtours Carousel 24th Sept 04 Mediterranean

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbabe61
If you go to the Costa Website and put in your booking number, you can then add things like wine package, excursions etc.

The price we got was a "pronto" price. That entitles you to a 10% discount on the wine package. WINE PACKAGE "CLASSIC" - £60.12
WINE PACKAGE "SPECIAL" - £65.55

Hope this helps/
10% off the wine package as well - now that is a good tip!
What is the difference between the 'classic' and the 'special' packages - is that just the red/white difference??

RCI x 14.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

No its different qualities of wine.

As my booking has expired I cannot access the website. If you access the website and enter your booking number you will be able to view what is in each package.
Costa Fortuna 25th March 06 Mediterranean (Eclipse)
Thomsons Spirit 30th Sept 05 Mediterranean
Airtours Carousel 24th Sept 04 Mediterranean

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have tried the wine package and it is a good deal, delicious Italian wine. You get 6 vouchers for wine (1 of them Prosecco) and 10 vouchers for 1lt bottles of water. But the wine is named bottles - you can`t swap. You can redeem the vouchers at any bar or with the wine waiter at dinner, and they store it for you if you don`t finish it with your meal (???). We took bottles back to enjoy in the cabin too, and used the water vouchers to keep water in the cabin and also to take on excursions. You can book it on board, and I think there is a 20% discount if you are a past Costa cruiser - I read it somewhere!! We will definately have it again this year at Christmas on the Magica.

Old April 10th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf
We have tried the wine package But the wine is named bottles - you can`t swap.
Sorry, but many other CC members have posted that Costa allows guests to swap the coupons for their choice of any of the wines offered in the package as these are all similiar priced wines. That is just like choosing ice cream, if it is a dollar a scoop, they don't care what flavor you choose. Although they would refuse to allow you to swap for a more expensive wine choice that was not offered as part of the package, they can and do allow guest to swap coupons for their choice among the offerings in the package. Sorry if they didn't allow you to swap in the past, but they should allow you to on your next Costa cruise.

Old April 10th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hey Mondelo
Thanks for the tip - I will ask on the Magica next cruise. They didn`t let us swap on the Atlantica, but to be honest we didn`t insist and it all tasted great anyway so it was no problem for us.

Old April 10th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Glad to hear the whole package was fine. I was on the 3/5-3/12 Magica and I loved it. It just seemed like my waiter and room steward genuinely cared that I enjoyed my cruise. Hope you have a great time!

Old April 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I stand corrected...

Hi LB, I had my cruise docs out and discovered that I have posted incorrect information. The 2 wine packages offered were not for a choice of red/rose' or white. Costa offered (Magica 3/5) two packages: "Classic" was $137.31US and "Special" was $149.96US." Each package includes 10 bottles of water, 1 Prosecco Champagne and 5 bottles of wine. The prices include the 15% service charge that Costa adds to all bar orders. If you enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner each night, either of the packages would be worth considering. Especially with the possible 10-20% discounts mentioned by others.

Last edited by mondello; April 12th, 2006 at 05:23 AM.

Old April 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were able to swap at dinner (we liked one of the whites we'd had on the list and swapped it for the reds) but not the time we tried it at lunch. And we could not swap the prosecco...can't remember why we wanted to do that exactly! It was a nice package deal (esp considering the service charge).

Joyce and Tim

NCL, W. Carib. 1994; RCL, E. Carib. 1999
HAL Oosterdam, W. Carib., Feb. 2004
HAL Noordam, Europe, Sept. 2004
MSC Lirica, S. Carib. Feb. 2005
Dawn Princess, Panama Canal, Apr-May 2005
NCL Dream, Alaska, July-Aug 2005
Celebrity Horizon, Bermuda, Sept. 2005
Norwegian Sun, W. Carib., Jan. 2006
Costa Victoria, Greece, Mar. 2006
Caribbean Princess, E. Carib., Jan. 14, 2007
Costa Mediterranea, W. Carib., Feb. 4, 2007 review
Costa Magica, E. Carib., Mar 4, 2007
Sun Princess, S. Carib., April 9, 2007
Celebrity Constellation, Baltic+TA, Sept, 2007
[size=1]Celebrity Constellation, TA+British Isles, April, 2008
Ruby Princess, Rome-Venice, June 21, 2009
Costa Atlantica, E. Carib., Nov. 7, 2009
Crown Princess, W. Carib., Dec. 5, 2009
Celebrity Eclipse, W. Carib., Jan. 8, 2011
Emerald Princess, S. Carib., Mar. 8, 2011
Celebrity Equinox, TA, Nov. 28, 2011
Crown Princess, S. Carib., Mar. 17, 2012
Royal Princess, TA, Oct. 9, 2013

Old April 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondello
If you enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner each night, either of the packages would be worth considering. Especially with the possible 10-20% discounts mentioned by others.
.......thanks for the update - yes, a bottle of wine with dinner is no problem - it is when we have finished the first bottle by the time the first course has been eaten is when the problem arises!

RCI x 14.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1

Old April 13th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bring some,Buy some...

Hi LB, Well, definitely buy the package if you're up for a bottle each night. You should also consider bringing some of your own, especially if you were serious about having more than 1 bottle a night. Costa was very lenient about guests bringing aboard their own supply of liquid refreshments. They had their hands full getting everybody aboard the ship and did not seem to care. Check these boards next season as your sail date nears and see if Costa changes their ways. I saved $50 just bringing a case of bottled water and a bottle of sparkling wine. The savings made it worth the effort. I had a 1/2 case of water in a collapsible cooler atop my wheeled carry-on and they didn't bat an eye. I didn't try to put any glass bottles in my checked bags as I didn't want to risk the porters breaking anything, but many others have posted that they didn't have any trouble getting their libations aboard. Just something to consider to make your money go farther.

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondello
You should also consider bringing some of your own, especially if you were serious about having more than 1 bottle a night. .
Mondello - you are speaking to an expert!!! Just got off NCL where the Booze Police are notorious for conviscating your booze - and managed to get 5 litres on board - contents of a few wine boxes in their 'bladders' - don't show up on the x-rays and I get to enjoy a glass of wine in the cabin before dinner! NCL charge you $15 per bottle if they catch it - but all the CCers we met up with on our roll call had managed to get some booze on in a variety of ingenious ways!

We had actually gone across to France for lunch [as us Brits tend to do] and the wine prices there are incredibly cheap - a 3 litre box of drinkable wine cost us €9 [that is about $11] and NCL were selling a 70cl bottle of the same stuff for $22 +15% service.......go figure...!

RCI x 14.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1

Old April 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Post Wine Package Info

Hi Everone!

Just came off the Mediterrenea from 4/2 and I had ordered the package on the website beforehand. Let me tell you what I learned:

1. When you book online it will be delivered during your first dinner - the coupons. If you don't dine in the restaurant - no coupons!

2. If you get your coupons, you can also give them to your cabin steward and he can bring your bottled water to your room for you and put it in your fridge - which I think is sweet! I think they'll do it for wine too!

3. If you were unfortunate enough not to get to dine in the restaurant, the guest services will refund you the money.

4. The water served in the buffet is fantastic - I only ordered bottled wine to take with us in excursions and for the room at night.

I hope you have a fantastic time!

Old April 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

little britain,

Our Costa Mediterranea site is not ready at all, but the Wine List page (which includes the packages), and the Bar List page at least has the scanned images.

Wine List

Bar Menus

We really enjoyed the Costa Mediterranea.
Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC, Carnival, Carnival Glory Feb 17, 2013, Carnival Breeze Feb 24, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas Oct 25, 2013, Upcoming MSC Divina Jan 24, 2015
"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"
Cruising is the Best Vacation!

Old April 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Costa is very lenient on the booze...you can take anything aboard and also take liquor you buy at ports to your cabin...I didnt see anyone get it taken away. As a matter of fact I bought things on the ship and they let me take them to my cabin. Its the most lenient Ive seen.

Old April 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks to Cruiseclues - looks like a good package and good to see some wine that is not too $$$$ on the list!

RCI x 14.
Celebrity x 9.
Azamara x 4.
NCL x 3.
Windstar x 1.
Cunard x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1