Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
5,000+ Club

Question "New" Poseidon...would you see it?

This question was posed on the Princess board. Dh and I have actually been joking between ourselves that maybe I should see it with the hope that it might cure my "addiction", lol, (be nice John!). Your thoughts? I think I am considering it.........

Marie

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

nope! I can find enough things to obsess/worry/fear in my life without adding that....(besides, without Shelley Winters, what's the point? )

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
10,000+ Club

I doubt it - most remakes are not as good as the original.

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sailing Noordam on 6/20, so I am even trying to avoid the movie trailers they are showing on TV. My very first cruise as a child was on the 50th anniversary of the Titanic. We sailed out of NY, and NY Times did front page article about anniversary. I was freaked the whole trip.

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Yes, i want to see it, i saw the first poseidon adventure when it first came out in the theaters in the, what 70's? so i have to see the second to compare the two.

Inspiration X2
Imagination
Paradise
Conquest
Destiny
Valor X2
Elation X3
Liberty
Splendor
Spirit
Victory
Legend
Triumph
Glory
Magic

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg99
.(besides, without Shelley Winters, what's the point? )
csg99...that's just what I was thinking !! also, the first movie was not as good as the book ( different ending ) and I'd probably spend the whole time critiquing the movie instead of enjoying it....oh and seeing a cruise ship turn upside down ain't my idea of a good time !

-----------------------------------

Zuiderdam, Alaska, September 2012
Zuiderdam, Panama Canal, April 2007

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not a chance. DH and I have a friend we have been trying to get to cruise with us recently, she can not swim and is sacred of being on a ship. We have been saying, it's fine, you'll have a wonderful time, now the new Poseiden, I think we've lost her.

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
10,000+ Club

All I know is that the one on TV was about the lamest thing in the millenium...

...and that this new Poseidon looks suspiciously like the spawn of a Seabourn and a Disney ship mating.

+

=

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Brian, maybe you're on to something!

I would see the movie. If for no other reason than to see how accurately they portray cruising. I know it's not a documentary ... but I like to see movies be at least credibly show what cruising is all about.

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Oh yes! My significant other and I have already decided that we would go. I am a big fan of the original. It holds a special memory as being the first film I was allowed to stay up late and watch on TV and it strangely played a role in my future love of ocean liners/cruise ships. Add a cheesy song and five Academy Award winners and you got a spectacle. How could you not love the first film?

I'm with everyone that a classic should never be remade and I have grave doubts about this. I deliberately missed the poor imitation NBC TV movie but at least I'll give Wolfgang Petersen points for bringing back the tidal wave. I am also a big fan of Das Boot and I believe that if any director/producer should bother attempt a remake of Irwin Allen's classic then he is one of the few.

So with mixed feelings but still most likely going to see it and still look forward to my cruise in December.

BTW, this thread is popping up everywhere. Its also on the Cunard board.

Oh and also, like Nonnie, I can't swim! But hey, I'm going to go on my cruise because...............there's got to be a morning after! he he he

Last edited by Bramcruiser; May 4th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No, I wouldn't go see it. It took me years and years before I'd actually get in the ocean after watching JAWS!

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'll probably see it, but only for the technical aspects (visual effects, editing etc...) Still, Wolfgang Petersen is directing, so it could be a decent movie. He did Das Boot & Perfect Storm

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I definitely want to go and see it. Thought the first one was great. I know I'm crazy but it will be interesting. I will make sure DH and DD do not see it. DD has great retention for trailers, but can't remember what I told her to do five seconds ago.

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll probably wait until it comes out on PPV. I like my cruiseships upright!
1 "Royal" cruise
1 "Brand X" cruise

Last- January 2014, A Fantasy come true!

Next- Ecstasy getaway!

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes I will watch it when it comes out on DVD. Loved the first one, hated the made for TV one..........jean

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default we'll see it later

I doubt we will see it any time soon. We only go to about one movie a year. I'll look forward to seeing it when it comes on one of the movie channels. I'm mainly interested in it because of Peterson's resume and hope that this will be as incredible.

I barely remember the original. But, everyone seems to remember Shelly Winters (RIP). Incredible actress. Remember her as Lolita's mom? Fabulous!!!

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Addition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltHim
This question was posed on the Princess board. Dh and I have actually been joking between ourselves that maybe I should see it with the hope that it might cure my "addiction", lol, (be nice John!). Your thoughts? I think I am considering it.........
Cure it? Not a chance!
I will see this one because I'll watch anything that has to do with cruising ANYTHING! I even went to see Speed 2 (yeah I was the one) and watched CSI Miami the other night (it made S2 look like Gone With The Wind).
10/5/2005 Splendour Of The Seas
8/28/2005 Elation
4/4/2005 Ecstasy
5/9/2004 Elation
9/2/2002 Jubilee

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramcruiser
Oh yes! My significant other and I have already decided that we would go. I am a big fan of the original. It holds a special memory as being the first film I was allowed to stay up late and watch on TV and it strangely played a role in my future love of ocean liners/cruise ships. Add a cheesy song and five Academy Award winners and you got a spectacle. How could you not love the first film?
Bram--

I first saw the original the day my Sis was born: Dad took me to the base theatre (we were stationed in upstate Michigan at the time) to see it.

After the ship rolled over, he looked over at me and told me to let go if his arm - I was gripping him so hard that I was cutting off circulation!
"But Daddy, those people are DYING!!!"
"It's only a Movie, Brian."
So now, whenever I see a scary film (which usually involves large bodies of water, and possibly a sinking ship or drowning people...) I have to keep reminding myself...
"It's only a Movie, Brian, it's only a Movie..."

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Actually I may go see it
I have heard that it will also be playing in IMAX theaters . So if it is shown at the one near me, I would like to go see it. Just for the special effects in IMAX. I don't expect it to be a great film otherwise.

Old May 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
5,000+ Club

It couldn't be any more "Cheesy" than the first two????
I think for people who cruise, it will be difficult to achieve a "willful suspension of disbelief".
I'll wait for Ebert's take on it.

Enjoy!
Kel

Celebrity -- Horizon (‘93), Galaxy (‘97), Zenith (‘98), Constellation (‘02), Century (‘02), Millennium (‘03), Summit (‘04), Mercury (‘05), Galaxy (‘05), Century (‘06), Millennium (‘06) , Constellation (‘08), Constellation (‘08), Solstice (‘09), Solstice (‘10), Eclipse (‘11), Summit (‘11), Millennium (‘11), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('13), Infinity ('13), Infinity ('13), Century ('13), and Century ('14)
Holland America -- Veendam (‘03), Volendam (‘04), Zuiderdam (‘05), Westerdam (‘06), Maasdam (‘07), Maasdam (‘07), Westerdam (‘08), Maasdam (‘09), and the Nieuw Amsterdam (‘11)
Royal Caribbean -- Rhapsody of the Seas (‘01), Voyager of the Seas (‘02), Splendor of the Seas (‘02), Grandeur of the Seas (‘04), Vision of the Seas (‘04), Radiance of the Seas (‘09) and the Allure of the Seas ('12)
NCL -- Starward (‘78), Norwegian Dream (‘95), and the Norweigan Sea (‘01)
Princess -- Star Princess (‘03), Caribbean Princess (‘05), and the Golden Princess ('13)
Azamara -- Journey (‘07) Oceania -- Regatta (‘09) Cunard -- Queen Mary 2 (‘10), and Queen Mary 2 ('13)
Sitmar -- Fairsea (‘82)

(428 days total)

--------------------------------
Future Cruises: Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas (11/2014), Celebrity Eclipse (12/2014), NCL Jewel (03/2015), Celebrity Reflection (6/2015), Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas (6/2015), Celebrity Equinox (12/2015), and Celebrity Reflection (3/2016).