What exactly are the liquor policies?

WillB

I haven't cruised on Princess since '97. I've been cruising Crystal and Raddison who basically don't care what you bring aboard to drink either in your carry on or from a shopping trip in port.

PLEASE, don't tell me that they confiscate liquor from you. Okay, go ahead and tell me that if that's the truth.

I'm perfectly willing to buy liquor in their store if I can take it to my room -- as long as they aren't charging three times what it is in port.

So, you Princess veterans, what exactly are the rules on this? Thanks icon_smile.gif

What is the alcohol policy onboard Princess Cruises?

from

http://www.princess.com/faq/

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

Well, I got my answer. Apparently Princess is a throwback on this issue. How disappointing. Imagine someone confiscating your personal property.

Answer: "We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases."

The price of liquor on board is comperable to shore prices. I use to sneak liquor on board in mmy luggage - taking up valuable space. Also I would buy liquor at that last minute at a store near the port and it would be more expensive than the ship's prices! Just order it up to your room. I do bring a bottle or two of red wine with me. I find the prices for wine not as reasonable as liquor prices. Also none of the princess wines come in gallon jugs - heck, they don't even have screw off caps!

As already mentioned you can buy it from Princess for less than you'll pay at home. You can either pre-order it from the form on the Princess web site and it will be sitting in your cabin when you board or you can order from room service. Each ship usually has a bar that will sell you a bottle directly. Anyway you do it is easier than bringing it with you and will cost less.

Scott

We sailed the Celebrity Summit last year and their prices for drinks in the bar (double for a little more $) seemed so much less than Princess is. We especially loved the Martini Bar on the Summit and so did a lot of passengers! I noticed the Island Princess has a Martini Bar. Are their prices comparable to Celebrity Summit? Thanks, Fran

Okay, it's finally DAWNing on me that I can buy liquor and take it to my room. I think that's a GRAND idea. Princess may be a DIAMOND in the rough and a GOLDEN opportunity to try another line. I'm sure we will be treated ROYALly and will have a REGAL time cruising the PACIFIC and enjoying that warm Mexican SUN.

icon_smile.gif

We sailed on the Coral Princess (sister to Island) in February this year. We thought the "everyday" drink prices on board were right in line with what you'd pay at any resort or restaurant.

However, we noticed frequent drink specials in many of the lounges throughout the cruise. There were frequent 2-for-1's in the Wheelhouse Bar (daiquiris, margs, etc.) and great $3 martinis at Crooners at certain hours of the day.

From the Princess web site;

"For those passengers who wish to purchase liquor on board for consumption in their stateroom during the course of the cruise, a selection is listed in the stateroom information portfolio. Please ask your stateroom steward for details and they will be pleased to assist."

Does any one have a list handy?

Carnival Holiday 10/94

Carnival Sensation 10/95

Carnival Destiny 1/97

Carnival Fascination 1/98

Carnival Tropicale 9/98

Carnival Destiny 10/00

Carnival Triumph 10/01

Disney Wonder 12/01

Carnival Destiny11/02

Princess Diamond Princess 6/04

Carnival Miracle 11/04

augiegator@att.net

BUT WHAT ABOUT BEER????? We did Royal Carrib a year ago and took a 24pack right through in our carry on and they didn't say anything. did anyone try this on Carib Princess?

No one seems to know......

RC Nordic Empress 1/92 Bahamas

RC Enchantment W Carib 1/01 Legend to Hawaii 3/03

Next:

Carib Princess E Carib 6/04

I brought 3 twelve packs of beer on board the Grand last year....but it was the Grand, not the Caribbean Princess. Who knows...

Oh, and here's the best part. The cabin steward iced down my cooler everyday! He was great! Nothing like an iced cold bear while lounging on the balcony, sailing through the Caribbean! Life doesn't get much better than that!

Mark

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;9;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on Caribbean Princess!!!

Caribbean Princess 9/04 (Labor Day Cruise)

Grand Princess 10/03 (Halloween Cruise)

Just got off the Grand. In Mexico people carried on liquor form the duty free shops with no problem. We ordered a liter of vodka for $22 on the ship. I can get it much cheaper at home but not a real gouge. Bring white liquor on in water bottles and the hubby did brandy in a ginger ale bottle. We carried on 7 bottles of champagne also. It goes great with breakfast. I miss that balcony.

Well I checked out the Princess website to get the liquor prices and found them to be a little steep. However it is probably a better value to pay more for liquor that I know I will get to drink than to pay less for liquor that may spend the entire cruise in the "Booze Brig".

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Oh one more question....can you buy liquor in the on board duty free store (which I am betting would be way the heck cheaper than the room service stuff) and then take it to your cabin for consumption??

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Dosi,

I'm interested in what you find a little steep? I've heard the wine is high but the liquor is very reasonable. For instance 1 liter (not 750ml) of Absolute or Stoli vodka is $22. I don't know the prices in every state but here in Ga that is $4-$8 less than I can purchase it at a discount liquor store. Best I can tell in California you'd be getting a good deal at $24 a bottle.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I frequently see people claim the prices are higher than home but that isn't what i've found. Perhaps people are thinking of the price of the smaller size bottle they might buy at home??

Scott

[This message was edited by ahracer on 04-14-04 at 08:53 PM.]

Well Scott--I confess I don't usually drink top shelf brands. I favor Canadian Mist and usually pay about $15 for 1.5L. However a quick perusal of my local grocery ads show that the prices for the high end 1 litre bottles of liquor on Princess are quite comparable. Thank you for pointing out the flaws in my logic.

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

What are the policies of airlines regarding bringing wine, champagne or liquor on board in checked baggage on international flights? Specifically to Tahiti?

San Diego Boyd (AIM)

You never know which will be the last time you ever do anything in your life. Make the most of every experience as if it is the last time.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;5;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000 Tahitian Princess 5/27/04

Archived