Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Celebrity Capt Removed for Drunkness

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...n_Alcohol.html
Upcoming 26.2s: Mt. Sneffels, Twin Cities

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yikes!

I hope he sobers up by next week.

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM
10,000+ Club

That's amazing considering he took only the tiniest sip of champagne during his last "Gala"...

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

As I said before, looks like Celebrity's PR people have their hands full so far this year!

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Cruise Critic Host & Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'll say they have their hands full. I've been monitoring all of the 'problem' threads and emailed the company about my increasing concerns. Since we're sailing with our family on Mercury in July, I continue to be concerned. I don't like jumping on bandwagons or assuming that where's there's smoke, there's fire, but these over used metaphors seem to be working these days. I'll be staying tuned....

Tauck River Cruise, May, 2011

www.cruisecritic.com/newsletter
www.cruisecritic.co.uk/newsletter
www.independenttraveler.com/newsletter

Oceania Riviera TA 2012
Celebrity Constellation Baltic 2013

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hey MAHDNC!!

Don't know if you remember me, but I'm Joy. I was on the March 2005 Horizon cruise with you. In fact, I think we may have ziplined together.

We're booked on the Galaxy for November! Got any cruises coming up?

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think it is uncommon for anyone who works on a cruise ship to drink every day. How do you think they get through a 70 hour 7 day a week work schedule.

The question would be was he at the helm when he was pulled off and tested?

Carnival Holiday 93, RCL Viking Seranade 00, NCL Norway 01, Star Princess 02, Star Princess 02, Star Princess 02, Dawn Princess 03, Golden Princess, 03, Golden Princess 03, Island Princess 03, Dawn Princess 03, Grand Princess 03, Diamond Princess 04, Sapphire Princess 04, Grand Princess 04, Dawn Princess 04, Star Princess 04, Golden Princess 05, Golden Princess 05, Windjammer Mandalay 05, RCL Monarch of the Seas 05, Golden Princess 05, Celebrity Constellation 06, RCL Grundgy of the Seas 06, RCL Rhapsody of the Seas 06, Celebrity Mercury 06, Diamond Princess 06, Crown Princess 06, Carnival Inspiration 07, Diamond Princess 07, Carnival Elation 07, Carnival Paradise 07, Coral Princess 07, Caribbean Princess 08, Caribbean Princess 08, Carnival Liberty 08,Sapphire Princess 08, Ruby Princess 08, Carnival Fantasy 09, Sapphire Princess 09, Star Princess 09, Sapphire Princess 09, Coral Princess 10, Navigator of the Seas 10, Coral Princess 10, Emerald Princess 10, Carnival Paradise 10, Navigator of the Seas 10, Star Princess 11, Carnival Paradise 11, Seranade of the Seas 11, Golden Princess 11, Grand Princess 11, Carnival Magic 12, Ruby Princess 12, Carnival Liberty 13, Carnival Valor 13, Carnival Glory, Royal Princes 13, Carnival Paradise 14

Next Up:
Carnival Dream Gene's birthday cruise 06/29/14

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logie
I don't think it is uncommon for anyone who works on a cruise ship to drink every day. How do you think they get through a 70 hour 7 day a week work schedule.
HUH???
Upcoming 26.2s: Mt. Sneffels, Twin Cities

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

The ship was about to leave Seattle and he must have been on the bridge/on duty.

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Hi Joy!

Of course I remember you from our Horizon cruise last year. If I recall correctly, you were going to go on a HAL cruise last year. Did you go? How was it?

Being on a 10 nighter aboard Horizon spoiled us. And so we are right now scheduled to go on another 10 night cruise over New Years (E Carib on Constellation) and a 12 nighter on Millennium to the Mediterranean next year.

David

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

Some wine w/ with dinner while at sea & his staff captain has the bridge - sure, why not?

But failing a breatholizer on Turnaround Day? The busiest day of the week, where he has to be up at dawn dealing w/ harbor pilots and working all day w/ paperwork, manifests, and making ready for departure, dealing w/ the harbor pilot again and lifeboat drill???

He clearly wasnt 'at the helm' since the ship was in port - but there's no excuse for him to have been drinking enough that day to fail a breatholizer.

We clearly have a captain with a serious lack of judgement here - X should fire him and let him pay his own way back to Greece just as they would any other crewmember or staff person that they'd find drunk on duty. A change of leadership would probably improve crew morale...

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Since Horizon

David,

What a GREAT memory! Yes, we did HAL over Thanksgiving and absolutely loved it! Their food is equal to, if not better, than Celebrity. But a good report on a HAL cruise is probably not a big surprise.

The big surprise is how much we LOVED our Carnival cruise this past March! We did 8 days to Mexico out of San Diego on the Spirit. Got a great deal and couldn't pass it up. Hadn't been on Carnival in over 4 years and had only minimal expectations. Boy were we PLEASANTLY surprised!

The cabin was about the best we've ever had in terms of size, layout, lighting, etc. (We've never done a suite). The bedding was great. And the biggest surprise was the excellent food. Not Celebrity or HAL, but very good.

Sounds like you've been sticking to Celebrity? Does this negative PR bother you at all?

Joy

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default watched the post-DUI sailaway

We are just back from the dock where we watched Mercury sail away ... wondered why it was an hour late! We arrived just before 5 pm, when Mercury was supposed to leave, but they were just getting around to the muster drill. I knew some sort of news story was happening around the waterfront because two local stations' choppers were overhead and a photographer for one station showed up briefly at the pier, but nothing was obvious from dockside (and if you have been to Seattle, you know the viewing area for Pier 66 is very close to the ship) and I didn't know what happened till we heard the radio news a few minutes ago.

While listening to the announcements from shore (yes, it's really THAT close), I noticed the CD (Aussie? Brit?) sounded a bit shaky. They definitely didn't announce anything about what was going on, though, just the standard muster (and then "join us for showtime tonight") stuff. This is the cruise "Lois R" and some other CC'ers are on --- I just had dinner with her and two couples from her roll call last night -- wish I had her cell # to call and see what was going on onboard! --- TR

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrathman
David,

What a GREAT memory! Yes, we did HAL over Thanksgiving and absolutely loved it! Their food is equal to, if not better, than Celebrity. But a good report on a HAL cruise is probably not a big surprise.

The big surprise is how much we LOVED our Carnival cruise this past March! We did 8 days to Mexico out of San Diego on the Spirit. Got a great deal and couldn't pass it up. Hadn't been on Carnival in over 4 years and had only minimal expectations. Boy were we PLEASANTLY surprised!

The cabin was about the best we've ever had in terms of size, layout, lighting, etc. (We've never done a suite). The bedding was great. And the biggest surprise was the excellent food. Not Celebrity or HAL, but very good.

Sounds like you've been sticking to Celebrity? Does this negative PR bother you at all?

Joy
Joy,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruises. Be interested to see how your next Celebrity cruise compares. I suppose we are technically "sticking" to Celebrity. Trouble is we haven't been on a cruise since Horizon while you have been on at least 2 already!

The negative PR doesn't bother me, I am simply amazed at how many things have popped up over the past few months

David

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Med

David,

Tell me more about your Med cruise! That's what we're doing in November on the Galaxy. It's a 10 RT Rome. We're visiting Naples, Mykonos, Santorini, Livorno, Cannes, and Messina Sicily. (I think that's it)

Since the cruise ends just prior to Thanksgiving, we decided to get an apartment in Rome and just stay THROUGH Thanksgiving! What the heck! We'll have pasta instead of turkey!

What are you doing?

Joy

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

....this is unbelievable

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face OT... sorry

David and Joy... another 10 night alumni here! Just had to jump in and say hello! Wish I could join you all in the Med!

TR.... a hello to you, too! You were quite helpful last July when I sailed Mercury and commented kindly on the review that I posted post-cruise.

Hope life is good for all of you!
Gina
Grandeur of the Seas (Bermuda, July 2014) Enchantment of the Seas (Bahamas, December 2012) Navigator of the Seas ( Western Caribbean, December 2011); Century (Western Caribbean, December 2009); Legend of the Seas (Italy/Croatia, June 2009); Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean, December 2008); Serenade of the Seas: (Southern Caribbean, March 2008); Carnival Freedom (Eastern Caribbean, November 2007); Empress of the Seas (Bermuda, June 2007); Legend of the Seas (Western Caribbean, April 2007), Summit: (Hawaii from San Pedro, CA, April 9, 2006) Zenith (December 17, 2005), Mercury (Alaska July 8, 2005), Horizon (Bermuda June 18, 2005, Ultimate Caribbean March 25, 2005, Bermuda June 26, 2004, Tampa to Norfolk Repositioning April 12, 2004), Constellation (Southern Caribbean December 18, 2004), Carnival Triumph (Eastern Caribbean, March 2003 & February 2002)

"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." -Sir Francis Drake

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default He's Been Fired

Here's an update from the Seattle NBC affiliate:

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...L.23d28f9.html

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I thought that I had read on these boards that Mercury's master was Captain Periklis Petridis? This is a shame.

Gina--how are you doing? Good to hear from you.

Joy, we are doing the Venice - Barcelona cruise with stops at Dubrovnik, Santorini, Athens, Rome, Naples, Florence, Nice plus 3 days at sea. Sounds exhausting! I must hear from you after you finish your Med cruise. We are taking our 2 kids which means we are going in June of next year (also means more $$).

David

Last edited by mahdnc; May 19th, 2006 at 11:58 PM.

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

In March it was Captain Anastassios Salessiotis for the Mexican Riveria....he seemed like a no nonsense kind of guy.....