Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old November 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default vista class "angled /hump" cabin sizes

What are the dimensions of the angled SS cabins on the Vista class ships?

I am interested in the cabin and veranda sizes as compared to the normal SS suite sizes on deck 8 of the Zuiderdam. For example 8094 versus 8072.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default ships

We enjoy cruising on the smaller ships like the Princendam, and hope to take more cruises on her. We have done short and long cruises on varies ships of the HAL fleet. The main reason we enjoy cruising with HAL is that their ships are smaller and more intimate. The article was very informative and interesting.
Allan & Marlane

Old January 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by puli View Post
What are the dimensions of the angled SS cabins on the Vista class ships?

I am interested in the cabin and veranda sizes as compared to the normal SS suite sizes on deck 8 of the Zuiderdam. For example 8094 versus 8072.
We had the angled SZ on the Oosterdam last month and have booked 8094 and 8099 on some upcoming sailings on the Noordam and Zuiderdam. DH paced it out and figured the little sitting area in the angle to be about 10 square feet EXTRA (as we also checked out a regular SS, which is the same except for that bump-out). It was pleasant for room service breakfast. The balcony is also larger.

However, be aware that while the SZ if fully covered and facing against the wind (so you are totally "protected" unless it's coming broadsides), the two aft-ward SSs face the "wrong way" and are only partially covered because of the way the Lido above curves around a bit differently. On the other hand, the "wrong way" provides a better view of where you're going.

Hope this is helpful!

Best,
Mary-Lou

Holland America 4-star
Celebrity Elite
Royal Caribbean Diamond

Old January 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFUN View Post
We had the angled SZ on the Oosterdam last month and have booked 8094 and 8099 on some upcoming sailings on the Noordam and Zuiderdam. DH paced it out and figured the little sitting area in the angle to be about 10 square feet EXTRA (as we also checked out a regular SS, which is the same except for that bump-out). It was pleasant for room service breakfast. The balcony is also larger.

However, be aware that while the SZ if fully covered and facing against the wind (so you are totally "protected" unless it's coming broadsides), the two aft-ward SSs face the "wrong way" and are only partially covered because of the way the Lido above curves around a bit differently. On the other hand, the "wrong way" provides a better view of where you're going.

Hope this is helpful!

Best,
Mary-Lou
Thanks for your response. We did decide to take 8094. Hopefully the small balcony section that is not angled will surfice while we are at sea and the larger section will be good for port approaches and dockside relaxing.

Old January 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by puli View Post
Thanks for your response. We did decide to take 8094. Hopefully the small balcony section that is not angled will surfice while we are at sea and the larger section will be good for port approaches and dockside relaxing.
So glad the info was helpful! Have a great cruise!

Holland America 4-star
Celebrity Elite
Royal Caribbean Diamond

Old April 19th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Alot of really good info on this thread thanks guys!

Old July 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Lanai room vs balcony room

I want to know if the Lanai room is just as nice as a balcony room. I realize Lanai rooms open onto a public deck. Is the deck crowded or will I enjoy sitting outside my room as well as having a balcony room?

Thanks for the help.

Old July 11th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

At Sea I have never seen the Promenade Deck crowded. But it's still a Public Area. People walk allong your deckchairs and people can look into your Cabin.
We enjoyed the Privacy of our Balcony very much (Rotterdam Veranda suite).

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default HAL Class of Ships

The Signature class are the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, no additional ships planned for HAL at this time.

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can any one tell me if the inside cabins 3340 -thru 3365 J - category on lower promenade deck on the Roterdam are larger than the inside cabins on deck 5 Main deck - shows as 182-293 sg. ft. Where are the 293 sg. ft inside cabins located? Thanks

CRUISES TAKEN
70 Days MAASDAM JAN 2014 CARIBBEAN/BRAZIL
25 Days NOORDAM DEC 2013 CARIBBEAN
88 Days ROTTERDAM Jan 2013 FAR EAST
21 Days RYNDAM June 2012 BALTIC/NORWAY
74 Days ROTTERDAM Dec 2011 HAWAII/SOUTH PACIFIC/PERU
14 Days MAASDAM May 2011 CANADA NEW ENGLAND
42 Days MAASDAM July 2009 VOYAGE VIKINGS
28 Days STATENDAM Sept 2007 SOUTH PACIFIC NEW ZEALAND

Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Lanai Stateroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourel View Post
I want to know if the Lanai room is just as nice as a balcony room. I realize Lanai rooms open onto a public deck. Is the deck crowded or will I enjoy sitting outside my room as well as having a balcony room?

Thanks for the help.
We sailed in a Lanai on the Maasdam. It was very convenient to the Lower Promenade, of course... but the room is slightly smaller than a standard outside or veranda stateroom in the way it's configured.

The 'sofa' was more of a 'stingy loveseat' - really not comfortable seating for two people; especially not people of my & my partner's size.

In the future, we'll opt for a standard outside, or a veranda if it's in the budget rather than a Lanai.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

1996 - Westerdam - Caribbean
1998 - Maasdam - Transit Panama Canal - LAX to FLL
2000 - Volendam - Caribbean
2006 - Ryndam - Alaska
2007 - Oosterdam - 14 April Mexican Riviera
2008 - Zaandam - 04 January Circle Hawaii
2009 - Ryndam - 05 March Sea of Cortez Reviewed
2010 - Rotterdam - 04 September Alaska - Mini Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277159
2011 - Maasdam - 28 May Canada & New England
2012 - Zaandam - 17 November Circle Hawaii
2014 - Volendam - 14 April North Pacific Crossing

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
30,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluwater7 View Post
Can any one tell me if the inside cabins 3340 -thru 3365 J - category on lower promenade deck on the Roterdam are larger than the inside cabins on deck 5 Main deck - shows as 182-293 sg. ft. Where are the 293 sg. ft inside cabins located? Thanks
The Rotterdam J-category cabins on Lower Promenade between the forward and mid-ship elevators are the same size as the typical "large" insides elsewhere on the ship. They are the same configuration, at about 186 sq. ft. Very generous size, and most comfortable.
I don't know of any inside cabins that are as large as 293 sq. ft. on this ship. There are a few "sideways" cabins that are definitely larger, but not that big.

The same is true on all the S- and R-class ships. The only insides that I know of that might come close to 293 sq. ft. are the J-cabins on Main Deck of the Vista/Signature ships, and some I-cabins on an upper deck of the same ships.

If the answer isn't "chocolate", you're asking the wrong question.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

[quote=RuthC;35444934]The Rotterdam J-category cabins on Lower Promenade between the forward and mid-ship elevators are the same size as the typical "large" insides elsewhere on the ship. They are the same configuration, at about 186 sq. ft. Very generous size, and most comfortable.
I don't know of any inside cabins that are as large as 293 sq. ft. on this ship. There are a few "sideways" cabins that are definitely larger, but not that big. c
The same is true on all the S- and R-class ships. The only insides that I know of that might come close to 293 sq. ft. are the J-cabins on Main Deck of the Vista/Signature ships, and some I-cabins on an upper deck of the same ships. [/QUOTE

Thanks - that area is going to be our home for 88 day starting in Jan. glad to hear you say comfortable. We have never been on Lower Promenade deck before - so looking forward to this trip.

CRUISES TAKEN
70 Days MAASDAM JAN 2014 CARIBBEAN/BRAZIL
25 Days NOORDAM DEC 2013 CARIBBEAN
88 Days ROTTERDAM Jan 2013 FAR EAST
21 Days RYNDAM June 2012 BALTIC/NORWAY
74 Days ROTTERDAM Dec 2011 HAWAII/SOUTH PACIFIC/PERU
14 Days MAASDAM May 2011 CANADA NEW ENGLAND
42 Days MAASDAM July 2009 VOYAGE VIKINGS
28 Days STATENDAM Sept 2007 SOUTH PACIFIC NEW ZEALAND

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rotterdam has a pool amidship with a bar, music or entertainment. On the fantail is another wading-style pool with chaise lounges laid in. I had cruised on Royal Caribbean- Legend of the Seas which had the same noisy pool amidships but then had another in quiet solarium near the back of the ship. This was heaven for me: relaxing and allowing for uninterrupted reading. I loved the HAL-Rotterdam cruise to Peru and I would like to know if any of the Hal-ships have the pool layout I described.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
30,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcs@aol.com View Post
Rotterdam has a pool amidship with a bar, music or entertainment. On the fantail is another wading-style pool with chaise lounges laid in. I had cruised on Royal Caribbean- Legend of the Seas which had the same noisy pool amidships but then had another in quiet solarium near the back of the ship. This was heaven for me: relaxing and allowing for uninterrupted reading. I loved the HAL-Rotterdam cruise to Peru and I would like to know if any of the Hal-ships have the pool layout I described.
All the HAL ships had an aft pool. The pools on the Veendam and Rotterdam were removed, and replaced with the Retreat concept.
Further expansion of that concept was canceled. So, choose any ship other than these two, and you will find an aft pool. How quiet it is back there will vary from ship to ship, and cruise to cruise.

If the answer isn't "chocolate", you're asking the wrong question.

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ship Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Walt View Post
To add to Doug's summary, here are photos of examples of each class.

Prinsendam:

S-Class (Statendam):

R Class (Rotterdam):

Vista Class (Zuiderdam):

Is it possible to post photos of all of the HAL ships?

Thanks!

Tom Barton

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarton View Post
Is it possible to post photos of all of the HAL ships?

Thanks!

Tom Barton
HAL already has pictures of each and every ship in their fleet on their website.

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangforpres View Post
The Signature class are the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, no additional ships planned for HAL at this time.
Holland America has contracted with Fincantieri (builders of all of the current ships except the Prinsendam) to construct the first of its 99,000 gross ton, 2660-passenger Pinnacle-class ships, which will be a bit larger than the 87,000 gross ton, 2100-passenger Signature-class vessels, and is scheduled for delivery in Fall of 2015.

-Gord

HAL ms Volendam, June 28, 2015 with parents & friends
HAL ms Westerdam, December 14, 2013 with friends
HAL ms Prinsendam, July 1, 2013 with parents
HAL ms Ryndam, January 20, 2013 with friends
HAL ms Veendam, April 22, 2012 with best friend
HAL ms Nieuw Amsterdam, July 28, 2011 with parents & friends
HAL ss Rotterdam, August 1, 1975 with family

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Picture of Noordam

Picture of the Noordam-cannot recommend this ship as a one who prefers Norwegian Freestyle cruising on the Pearl and Gem.

Old August 12th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default r-class or new class

Hello All,

Having only been on Veendam and Zaandam, it still seems to me that Zaandam and Volendam, are the only 2 members of a separate class of ships. They are virtually identical twins except for decor. Plus they are also the only 2 themed "dam" ships that I am aware of: Volendam-flowers and Zaandam-music.

They remind me of the Coral Princess and Island Princess.... two identical ships with only decor differences, the only 2 ships of their type in the Princess fleet.

Rick