Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old June 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default packing for girls, 6 & 9....1st cruise, help!

We are cruising on the Carnival Glory and I would like to know what to pack for them to wear, especially in the dinning rooms. They are 9 and 6. The six year old tends to be messy, she really enjoys her food . I have searched all over and find posts for adults, but not any for young girls.

We are departing on June 17, so I am begining to get a little stressed...

Jennifer

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Hi, Jennifer:

As you can see from my signature, we've cruised with our DD since she was very young. I have always dressed her in something that would be appropriate for a Christmas dress or Easter dress for formal night (except our last Caribbean cruise I was actually able to find a floor-length formal dress for her!). E-bay is a great place to find dressy dresses.

As far as the other evenings, she's dressed in either sundresses or nice pants or skirts and blouses. She lives in shorts during the day.

I'm fortunate that she isn't a messy eater, so that hasn't been an issue. Even so, I used to have her tuck a napkin into the collar of her dress/blouse just in case. You will find laundry facilities onboard if you need them.

Jayne

Roll Call Site for Legend to Northern Europe
Happy Cruising Memories:
Carnival Inspiration, 08/10/12
Carnival Inspiration, 08/13/12 (birthday cruise!)

Carnival Spirit, 06/28/11 (Alaska)
Photos: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...Alaska%202011/
Cruise Review

Carnival Splendor, 08/22/10 (Mexican Riviera)

Carnival Spirit, 08/15/07 (Alaska)
Photos: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaynemay/Alaska%202007/

Caribbean Princess, 07/29/06 (W. Caribbean)

Carnival Pride, 12/21/03 (Mexican Riviera)

Carnival Spirit, 12/18/02 (S. Caribbean)

Carnival Spirit, 8/15/01 (Alaska)

Carnival Holiday, 3/10/97 (Mexico)

Old June 12th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you. I have started packing and realized that I didn't plan for them on casual nights. They have several nice pairs of embellished jeans, but nothing else thanks to their spring growth spurts. (I swear they look taller everyday!)

Any one else? I need all the help I can get.

Jennifer

Old June 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Children's Place and Target both have some really cute "skorts" for spring and summer - they wear like shorts but look like skirts. They are great for casual nights. Paired with an embellished T-shirt and the girls will look better than half the adults!

Old June 13th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned with our kids. Girls 14 and 12 and boy 7. I spent so much time getting their clothes ready and the dress code wasn't even enforced. I said something to the Madre' de and he said they he had other comments as well. It was on the Carvnival Victory. Don't buy anything you can't use again. My son wore kaki's and polo's each night. On the formals he was in a suit. My girls wore capries and/or skorts each night. On formal nights they wore church outfits - which were skirts and blouses. They were all well dressed and more dressed than most. I saw shorts in the dining room on formal nights as well as men without ties. I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't use again. There is not suppose to be any jeans or flip flops in the dining room. We did exactly what was asked and looked great, but nothing was enforced on this ship.

Old June 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with larie. I took my then 5 year old daughter on Carnival Conquest last Sept. I didn't buy anything special for the cruise. She wore capris and skorts on casual nights, and a nice skirt and top on formal nights. They did not enforce the dress code at all....I saw some people wearing jeans on formal night. I wouldn't worry about it! We are going on rccl's Rhapsody of the Seas on July 23rd and I will be packing the same way I did for the Conquest.