Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Eco & Expedition Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default best sunscreen

Hello, I was wondering what would be the best sunscreen for the coral reef. We are going to the Western Caribbean in Feb. and I would like to know what the sunscreen should and shouldn't have in it. I am also hopeing this is the place to get the answer?! Thank you in advance!

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Cruise Critic Host

In my experience when I was snorkeling in Cozumel, we were told not to wear any sunscreen because it affects the coral.

I'll keep an eye out to see if you get any other responses. If not, I'll move this to another board.

Azamara Journey 2/10, Solstice 3/09, Liberty OTS 11/08, Brilliance 5/08, Azamara Quest 11/07, Serenade 9/07, Liberty pre-inaugural 5/07, Infinity 11/06, Constellation 11/05, Brilliance 6/05, Infinity 12/04, Brilliance 2/04, Adventure 11/03, Brilliance 2/03, Grand Princess 3/02, Dawn Princess 11/01, Ocean Princess 5/00

Old June 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your reply, we are from Michigan and we are very white and burn from just the thought of sun!! So I am not sure no sun screen in the waters of Cozumel will be a good thing! I hope someone will have a sun screen for us!

Old June 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
5,000+ Club

We're going to Playa Uvas in Cozumel. I made reservations for their clear kayaking tour and on the confirmation is this note: Playa Uvas is in the Marine National Park Reef of Chankanaab, so be sure to bring organic or natural sun screen or sun tan only.

After looking around on CC, I learned that "Kiss My Face" is a good brand of eco-friendly sunscreen and that Trader Joe's carries organic sunscreen (don't know if TJ's carries KMF).

Hope that helps!

Jayne

Happy Cruising Memories:

Carnival Legend, 6/21/13 (Baltic)
Carnival Inspiration, 08/10/12
Carnival Inspiration, 08/13/12 (birthday cruise!)

Carnival Spirit, 06/28/11 (Alaska)
Photos: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...Alaska%202011/
Cruise Review

Carnival Splendor, 08/22/10 (Mexican Riviera)

Carnival Spirit, 08/15/07 (Alaska)
Photos: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaynemay/Alaska%202007/

Caribbean Princess, 07/29/06 (W. Caribbean)

Carnival Pride, 12/21/03 (Mexican Riviera)

Carnival Spirit, 12/18/02 (S. Caribbean)

Carnival Spirit, 8/15/01 (Alaska)

Carnival Holiday, 3/10/97 (Mexico)

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

"No-Ad",which you can buy at Walmart is a great Paba free sunscreen...And a portion of the proceeds go to schools for drug awareness...Dot
Princess Grand, Western Caribbean 2-06
Splendour Of the Seas, Greek Isles/Turkey 7-06
Carnival Destiny, San Juan 2-07
Pride Of America, Hawaii 7-07
Carnival Conquest Cupids Group Cruise 2-10-2008
Explorer Of the Seas, Bermuda 7-26-2008
Mariner Of the Seas, Mexican Riviera 2-22-2009
Crazy Conquest 7 day Cruise to Cozumel 9-26-2010
Voyager of The Seas, Feb 27th, 2011
Carnival Magic Jan 29,2012
RCCL Mariner Of The Seas Feb 5th, 2012
Carnival Magic April 22, 2012
Carnival Magic August 25,2013

Hawaii land trip to Oahu, Feb. 4, 2013
Hawaii 7-07
http://community.webshots.com/user/daltx50

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: CONE HEAD CITY ,New Jersey, U.S.A. see the cone heads, the movie
Smile Coral Safe Sunscreen

1st Have a great Cruise,and to make it safe with the sun and many other creatures that may, or may not be in the water, you can count on a lotion that is at your local SCUBA DIVING SHOP and even aboard some ships, and is called SEA SAFE, and is called like that cause is safe for the sea and it keeps you safe from yelly fish and all stinging creatures, like sea lice, etc, but don't think I'm trying to scare you cause you may never need all this protection.
The best part is that is safe to all creatures while keeping you safe from them, and your only problem would be that when you get back home no body can tell you been in the caribbean that is if you use the lotion, cause I used it and after 3 days of scuba diving , 2 or 3 showers per day and swiiming in the pool , and still could not get a tan line any where, and I scrub and scrub and finally on the 4th day of not using this great lotion I finally got some color.

So if you want that, you got to go get it, it works, don't forget to put it on your scalp or wear a hat .....

Old April 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
5,000+ Club

We purchased several bottles of Caribbean Sunlife while in the Yucatan Peninsula over Thanksgiving. Eco-friendly sunscreen is the only sunscreen allowed inside the eco-parks such as Xel-Ha and Xcaret, so we were prepared.

Caribbean Sunlife is biodegradable and ecologically safe, and it's pretty easy to slather on as well. We have it in SPF 8, 15, 25, and 40 since my husband and I want to be prepared each day, depending on how far along we are on our vacation and how much sun we plan to get on any given day.

Celebrity S-Class cabin spreadsheet

Videos
Liberty of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Feb 2013
Freedom of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Sept 2008
Does the cruise ship wait for you? Passengers missing ship - Feb 2009

Upcoming
Norwegian Sky, September 26, 2014
Norwegian Getaway, October 25, 2014
roll call
HAL Ryndam, February 8, 2015
Celebrity Equinox, July 4, 2015 roll call
RCCL Majesty of the Seas, August 21, 2015

Old November 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mexitan

We're Canadian, and burn easily.

You will also want to avoid any sunscreens that contain anything beginning with "oxy" or "hexa" (there are detailed lists available online). Some "natural", "biodegradable" or "organic" sunscreens still contain coral-bleaching ingredients.

Look for all-natural ingredients, with active ingredients including zinc oxide and / or titanium dioxide.

There are two brands that we found would be acceptable to the local parks in the area: Mexitan and Caribbean Sol/Caribbean Solutions.

We also wore UV protective shirts which worked well for us.

Yes, you can sneak in anything, but who would intentionally want to destroy the life there?

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de pręt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with wearing shirts for protection. I often, when out in the ocean or water for long periods of time, wear the rash guard type shirt that surfers wear, drys quick and good for swimming they have these available both in long and short sleeve. I know some people say I look silly and my friends like to tease me but I've spent a few years living in Australia and after dealing with sun I'm very conscious of the sun and would rather look a bit silly than deal with bad sunburns and skin issues, but I think they're a great investment for things like snorkelling and kayaking and just anything else when your'e out near water for a long time. Also I liked the good ideas for different sunscreens, I'll be looking into those!

Old September 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Biodegradable sunscreen

Many of the parks require biodegradable sunscreen. I just bought a bottle of Mexitan as it was recommended by one of the parks in Mexico (maybe Chankaanab, I can't remember.) I have worn it once, just around the yard and it seems to work fine. I leave for the Caribbean in less than 2 weeks. I will post again when we get back about how it held up in the water. If you need to get some, a google search will take you to the manufacturer's site. They have lots of info about what is, and is not in their product.

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

A key thing to try and do, regardless of the brand you use, is to put it on at least 40 minutes before you get into the water. This allows the skin to absorb more which protects your skin more and at the same time less gets washed off into the water.

Old December 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like Dr Mercola sunscreen- I use many of the products from that site. www.mercola.com I do find the spf 50 a little too thick but it is good for the kids' noses, ears and the parts in their hair
I am outside all year long delivering mail, and only use natural products on my hair and skin. It still works the following year if you have some left over, whereas other products expire and lose their sunscreen protection.
Kathy

Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
We purchased several bottles of Caribbean Sunlife while in the Yucatan Peninsula over Thanksgiving. Eco-friendly sunscreen is the only sunscreen allowed inside the eco-parks such as Xel-Ha and Xcaret, so we were prepared.

Caribbean Sunlife is biodegradable and ecologically safe, and it's pretty easy to slather on as well. We have it in SPF 8, 15, 25, and 40 since my husband and I want to be prepared each day, depending on how far along we are on our vacation and how much sun we plan to get on any given day.

Tried to find it on line but all I get are comments no online store. Recommendations? Donna

Caribbean Princess 4 day getaway May 2014
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas Caribbean April 2013
CCL Splendor Mexican Rivera August 2011
X Summit Southern Caribbean April 2011
CCL Destiny Florida/Cozumel February 2011
Star Princess Baltics July 2010
NCL Jewel Western Caribbean April 2010
X Mercury PNW Coast October 2009
NCL POA Hawaii July 2009
Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean April 2009
X Summit Southern Caribbean Christmas 2008
Sapphire Princess Alaska July 2005 (still my favorite ship)