Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old July 7th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default PORT BAG / contents

These are just a few ideas..............hopefully you'll have a few also that are your favorites.

With so many ports on the Baltic cruise, I make it easier on myself by packing a port bag at home before the trip. This sure saves time looking for things on a port day. Then, I can just drop it into whatever bag or backpack I take into port. I buy or create as many mini-sized things beforehand. My port bag has:

Lotion/Sunscreen
Mini toilet paper pack + paper toilet seat covers
Small first aid kit with bandaids
Small supply of tyenol, cough drops,etc
Protein bar/ gum or energy snack
Water bottle that I fill up with water or juice from the breakfast buffet
Collapsible sunhat or visor
Disposable rainproof poncho
Note pad and pens
Camera and extra memory cards
small hand sanitizer
Laminated card with local currency and common phrases
watch
Map

Last edited by LKJ; July 7th, 2006 at 05:30 AM. Reason: eliminated part of the title for another thread

Old July 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Great idea! Thanks for thinking of it. Maybe include port information from daily-times and location etc.
Judy

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Even if you have it elsewhere, how about something with your name, name of the ship, list of emergency phone numbers, including for the ship's number and your trip insurance co., in case you lose your wallet (or handbag) or it's stolen. I usually tuck a few dollars in somewhere.

Old July 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

daju22 and gooselace...... good ideas. I'll update the list asany other helpful tips come in.

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Purell now has individually packed Hand Wipes with the full 62% alcohol formula that the others lack (they just use a small amount of benzalkonium chloride). The wipes help remove the gunk, not just spread it around like the gel, and they can be used to wipe surfaces, too.
You might also want to write down the name, etc, of the Port Agent that your ship uses in each port--just in case you don't get back in time!!
I always carry a very small list of important numbers in my wallet--I keep it on my computer in an Excel file in 8pt. type so it prints out onto a 4x3 piece of paper, which I fold in half (print inside) to be about the size of a credit card. Of course, be careful how you identify the numbers--you don't want a thief to know everything about you.
Thanks for starting this thread!