Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old July 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question 1A Cabins on Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

Has anyone stayed in a 1A cabin on Carnival? What are they like?

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1A on Imagination

I am staying in one on my cruise in 11 days (10 days, 20 hours, 20 minutes) and will post pictures when I get back.

Which ship are you looking at?

Carnival Spirit - Alaskan Honeymoon cruise July 2010

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas - Bankers cruise - November 2008

Carnival Liberty - Family Halloween Cruise - October 2007 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659640

Carnival Imagination - July 2006 Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391881

Old July 20th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1a

We're not sure. I was wondering if they are big enough for 2 people. We're looking into a trip on Carnival next year, but didn't want to spend alot on a cabin. Pictures would be great! Thanks!

Old July 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM
5,000+ Club

I've stayed twice in 1A's on Carnival. You realize that there is just one single bed....and a pull down berth from the wall. Not much room for snuggling...if that's an objective.

Yes, they are roomy enough for two people. My first 1A was on Paradise...it was basically a square room, lots of walking around space. Nice sized bathroom...no problems at all.

My second was on Glory, and I was able to book one of the 1A's with portholes...that was nice.....you could watch the weather, the ocean.....and not pay the price of an OV. The cabin was more the long, narrow type...still, lots of room for two people. In fact, some of my tablemates came to have a look at it, and they were impressed. They also were in 1A's, but without the portholes.

I do have pictures of the Glory cabin....but not on a public site...just in my pictures. If you want to give your email...I'll gladly send them to you.

Old July 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysail2
I've stayed twice in 1A's on Carnival. You realize that there is just one single bed....and a pull down berth from the wall. Not much room for snuggling...if that's an objective.

Yes, they are roomy enough for two people. My first 1A was on Paradise...it was basically a square room, lots of walking around space. Nice sized bathroom...no problems at all.

My second was on Glory, and I was able to book one of the 1A's with portholes...that was nice.....you could watch the weather, the ocean.....and not pay the price of an OV. The cabin was more the long, narrow type...still, lots of room for two people. In fact, some of my tablemates came to have a look at it, and they were impressed. They also were in 1A's, but without the portholes.

I do have pictures of the Glory cabin....but not on a public site...just in my pictures. If you want to give your email...I'll gladly send them to you.

That would be great! I thinking a 1A because I may end up going by myself. I don't want to book a bigger cabin because I don't want to be stuck with the expense if my friend decides not to go. I don't wait - if I want to go, I book...it's up to them to book if they want to go! My e-mail address is VnessaTX@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!

Old July 21st, 2006, 07:06 PM
5,000+ Club

Default trvllover

You have e-mail!

Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1A's

Did you pbook a specific iA cabin or a 1A guarantee. I booked a 1A guarantee for an upcoming Valor cruise and was very fortunate to be bumped to a 6B.

That being said, i have stayed in a 1A on both the Paradise and Inspiration, and found them quite comfortable for one - and they would certainly be manageable for two. Cheers

Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Nice to be bumped to a 6A.

If I want a 1A with portholes and there is one available, then I book that particular one. If no portholes available...then gty would be the smart move...then you could be lucky enough for a nice upgrade.

My friends on Glory who booked 1A gty's were bumped up to an inside double.....no portholes.

The 1A I had on Paradise was great...a nice square room...lots of room to move to get dressed, come in and out...etc. My location was near the aft....can't remember te deck...I think 4...but not sure.
Is that where your's was.....RD64? I do remember everynight about 8 or so...the engines revving up....what a noise that was!

Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1A Cabins

On both the Paradise and the Inspiration I was assigned a cabin on the Upper deck - U171 - both times and that was a guarantee.

If I were given the option of a category 1 with portholes at the time of booking - I much prefer the natural light as opposed to a larger - yet inside cabin. Personally, I found the cabin well designed and that there was more than enough space for me and my belongings.

I find this cabin to be much better than the one I had this past winter on the MSC Opera. On this ship - it seemed that the bed took up the whole cabin with no room to move around.

Cheers

Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I had a 1A on the Miracle this past April. I had a actual bed, not a pull off. My room attendent merged my beds together to make one bed,it was about the size of a queen bed.
The room was a great size for one person. There was plenty of storage and I never used all the space.
The bathroom was a good size also. They have a basket of goodies in the bathroom. There's also a string to place wet items in the shower.
If you want to view your account, or view outside, turn on your tv.
I brought a clock and a small nightlight for my room.
The 1a is a great value for the solo travler and I would book it again

Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
5,000+ Club

I think they're great too. I wish more ships had single cabins. I think a few do...but not too many. I guess they make too much money charging the 200%...and we still book them, so why not.

I liked the portholes too.....just the fact that it's nice to look out and see the weather, if nothing else.

My single cabins had real beds. The pull out was up above...but wasn't required.

There are a few things that I don't enjoy about Carnival...but the 1A's are the best about it!

They are a great value.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks! They actually don't sound too bad! We may actually book one for the next cruise. Thanks!

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

When cruising "solo" I always book a 1A gty.

A couple times I ended up with a nice upgrade, and a couple other times I got the 1A.

I've actually had 2 different types of 1A cabins. 1 has 2 twin beds side by side that can be pushed together to be 1 king size, and the other has bunk beds.

When cruising solo, I like to use the other bed to lay out everything I will need for the next day (especially when going ashore). That way I don't feel so rushed getting ready in the morning.

In my opinion, the 1A cabins are a very nice size for 1 person, and think there's plenty of room for a 2nd person.

I'll agree with Ladysail2 that if you can snag one with a porthole, it's nice to be able to see out without having to pay for the OV.

Had a 1A right up in the point of the triumph a couple years ago. Now that was an interesting arrangement! The cabin was "triangle shaped", had 1 twin bed & a sleeper sofa. Fortunately I had the twin bed:-), but all night long I could hear the bow of the ship cutting through the waves while in route to our next destination. Have to admit though, the sound of being being that close to the water WAS relaxing:-) (almost like one of those sleep machines)

In my opinion, It's always worth the savings to book a 1A. I wish there were more 1As available. They always seem to go so fast.

Enjoy!

Annie

Last edited by Island Annie; July 26th, 2006 at 10:07 PM.

Old July 27th, 2006, 08:52 AM
5,000+ Club

I haven't seen the 1A's with twin beds.....I thought they all had the bunk bed style.....

I wish more ships had similar cabins, for sure. They are a great savings.

Hearing the 'swishing' of the water would be a great sleep inducer....LOL

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
10,000+ Club

I've had only one 1A cabin (inside) - never again, because I find I'm more claustrophobic than I thought. BUT - it had two beds on the floor and a pull down from the wall.

I now book either 1As with porthole or OV. I TRY for the porthole(s), because it's so nice to have a view without paying more. (Single supplements are bad enough already.)
1989 - Carnival Mardi Gras
1990 - Princess - Pacific Princess
1991 - RCCL - Song of Norway
2001 - Carnival Holiday
2002 - Carnival Holiday
2003 - Carnival Holiday
2004 - Carnival Holiday CTN
2004 - Carnival Sensation
2005 - Carnival Paradise
2006 - RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas
2006 - Carnival Conquest - Platinum!
2007 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Princess - Crown Princess
2009 - Carnival Fantasy
2009 - Princess - Alaska
Remember - NO irons, heating pads, or candles allowed in cabins!

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

i have a 1a on the glory that has 2 windows not portholes but windows. ladysail has the pics i sent her to prove it. i think that some of the newer ships have just a few of these cabins on them.

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

The 1A cabins don't sound too bad! Definitely an option! We don't require much room! Thanks!

Old July 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Destiny has two 1A cabins on the Main deck in the back that have windows!

Becky

Old August 1st, 2006, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...35088204svVugy
This is a pic of the 1a with the double windows. The Valor,Liberty, and Freedom have 2 beds. I am not sure about the Glory. A CCl rep sent these, so I am not sure which ship this is with the single bed.

Paradise Feb 2000 7 day ~
Paradise Oct 2002 10 day ~
Spirit Nov 2002 8 day ~
Disney Magic Sept 6,2003 7 day ~
Destiny June 13,2004 7 day ~
Miracle Sept 5,2004 7 day ~
Valor Oct 30, 2005 7 day ~
Valor Sept 24, 2006 7 day ~
Liberty Oct 13, 2007 8 day ~
Liberty Jan 10, 2009 7 day ~
Destiny Sept 7, 2009 7 day ~
Dream Jan 9, 2010 7 day ~
Imagination Jan 14, 2011 3 day ~
Freedom Sept 10, 2011 8 day ~
Breeze Jan 13, 2013 6 day ~
Valor Jan 12, 2014 7 day~ Scenic Grand Ocean-view
Sunshine Jan 24 2015 7 day~ Scenic Grand Ocean-view again-loved this cabin
http://picasion.com/i/1UvGi/

Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is great information! I am not in my room very much, and looking at the price of the 1A cabins, it looks like such a great deal!!! Thanks all! I will probably end up going that route...it's just a place to lay my head & sleep!!!