Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > Gulf Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gulf Coast Departures
Galveston, Gulfport,Houston, Mobile & New Orleans

Old September 19th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Flight time home from Houston

Our ship is supposed to return to Galveston at 7 AM. The latest flight out of Houston (IAH) is 11:35 AM. Do you think there would be enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport by 10:15 or so? I know that would be cutting it pretty close, even if we're one of the first ones off the ship. I have no idea what the port situation is like in Galveston.

Opinions on whether I should chance it, or stay the night and fly out the next morning?

Lori

Old September 19th, 2006, 12:59 AM
30,000+ Club

What ship? What day? Where are you flying to? IAH is 1.5 to 2 hours away from Galveston. You need to be at the airport 1.5 to 2 hours before your flight (even earlier if it is an International flight). Especially during the week, this could be a big problem since traffic in Houston is bad, you'd have a better chance of making it on the weekends. If you want to try for it, then you should plan on self-disembarking and having private transportation waiting to take you to the port - don't rely on a shuttle service, cruiseline transfers, or a rental car.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old September 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorabelle
Our ship is supposed to return to Galveston at 7 AM. The latest flight out of Houston (IAH) is 11:35 AM. Do you think there would be enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport by 10:15 or so? I know that would be cutting it pretty close, even if we're one of the first ones off the ship. I have no idea what the port situation is like in Galveston.

Opinions on whether I should chance it, or stay the night and fly out the next morning?

Lori
Lori you will be cutting it very very close. I think you have a better than 50/50 chance of missing checkin for this flight. We in Tomball which the same distance as IAH from Galveston but on the West side of I-45 as opposed to the east where the airport is. In three cruises from Galveston we have never arrived home before 10:30 AM. Now if we were motivated by making a flight perhaps we could beat that but so many things could go wrong from delays clearing port to traffic problems that there just isn't any way to say it can be done with confidence.

If you can come up with some type of back-up plan perhaps it is worth the risk but I would try to find another option if possible. If you could fly out of Hobby airport (HOU) for example, an 11:30 flight would be very doable.

Old September 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lorabelle,

Have you thought about going out of Hobby airport insted of houston as it is much closer.

Carnival Sunshine 2014 (B2B W/E Caribbean)
Carnival Sunshine 2013 (Europe)
Carnival Freedom 2012 (B2B W/E Caribbean)
Carnival Spirit 2012 ( Mexican Riveria)
Carnival Conquest 2011 (W. Caribbean out of New Orleans)
Norwegian Jade2010 (Med/Egypt)

Carnival Glory 2009 (B2B W/E Caribbean)
Carnival Freedom 2008 ( W. Caribbean)
Carnival Spirit 2008 (Alaska)
Carnival Conquest 2007 (W.Caribbean)
Carnival Paradise 2007 (Mexico)
Serenade of the Seas 2006 (Panama Canal)
Splendour of the Seas 2005 (Europe)
Carnival Legend 2004
Explorer of the Seas 2003
Enchantment of the Seas 2002
Galaxy 2001
Norwegian Sky 2000
Jubilee 1999

Old September 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Unless you can get off the ship ASAP I think you are cutting it very close. I am a part-time limo driver and I have made IAH from the cruise terminal in Galveston in 75 minutes with no traffic on a Sunday morning, but you never know. Hobby is the better choice. I do alot of runs with people having 11am-12pm flights out of Hobby. Most of my IAH runs have flights leaving after noon.

Rhapsody of the Seas --- Dec 2001
Rhapsody of the Seas --- Dec 2003
Grand Princess --------- Dec, 2004
Grand Princess --------- Dec, 2005
Grand Princess --------- Dec, 2006
Voyager of the Seas ---- Jan, 2008
Voyager of the Seas ---- Feb, 2008
Carnival Conquest------ Mar 2009
Voyager of the Seas ----- Jan 2010
Oasis of the Seas -------- Jan 2011
Carnival Magic---------- Jan 2012
Oasis of the Seas -------- Mar 2013