Bringing liquor on board?

sdfolsom

Has anyone packed liquor in their checked bags and had it confiscated? I thought that Carnival frequently took it until the end of the cruise. We sailed NCL in Dec and our friends had theirs removed from their bag.

Although "technically" prohibited, Carnival is not nearly as diligent as NCL in terms of enforcement.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Followed by:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

I took a large bottle of schnapps and 6 small bottles of pre-mixed margaritas on the Destiny in January and they made it to my room just fine. I think the cruise lines are the ones who start those rumors just to scare people. I buy plenty of drinks onboard so I don't feel real bad about smuggling a few!

Marcia

Carnival Ecstasy

Regal Empress

Carnival Jubilee

Celebrity Horizon

Carnival Destiny

On the Carnival Holiday I had no trouble bringing aboard a bottle of bourbon in my checked luggage. Since I never had the time or inclination to drink it, I did not have any trouble taking it back off in my checked luggage.

MexicoBob

Just off the Ecstasy where I took a large bottle of premixed margaritas. It made it to my room just fine icon_smile.gif

Carnival Holiday 10/00

Majesty of the Seas 05/03

Carnival Ecstasy 05/04

Carnival Ecstasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Okay, I'm embarassed icon_redface.gif to admit this but DH wants to bring a CASE of beer on board. I was only planning on bringing one bottle of maybe rum along. Do you think we can get this through without trouble?

Also, we want to bring about 12 bottles of water.

Emme

You can carry water on with no problem. We took a case of beer for DH, we bought it in Miami and put it in its own small carry-on type suitcase and had it checked right along with our other suitcases. It arrived at our door just fine! icon_cool.gif We used a collapsible cooler to keep it cold along with the Diet Coke, and the water we carried on board. Our room steward kept it on ice all the time for us. icon_smile.gif

Linda

Have a great cruise!

P.S.

We flew down the day before and carried the extra carry-on in another suitcase, which also gave us an extra suitcase for any souveniers or things we brought back.

dolphinsun.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

10/23/04 Glory

1/18/04 Spirit

1/5/03 Legend

1/12/02 Triumph

10/29/00 Victory

Nope, my Jack Daniels and Malibu rum were happily packed in my checked luggage, and they were waiting for me when steward brought luggage to my stateroom for our reunion. icon_cool.gif

All was well.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

Carnival Victory - 2004

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than a day at work</MARQUEE>

If you're the paranoid type, here's my suggestion: Package any clear liquor in empty water bottles. Package any brown liquor in emptied Crystal Light ice tea bottles. Just don't forgot about the switch-up at 5 in the morning when you want a drink of water or you'll get a cruel surprise. That happened to me over and over again last cruise.

... Tampa Steve ...

Chandris Amerikanis 1985

NCL Seaward 1992

Carnival Sensation 1995

Carnival Imagination 1997

Carnival Paradise 2001

Sun Princess April 2002

Fascination Sept. 2002

Inspiration May 2004

HAHAHAHA!! TampaSteve think I had read that in a review you wrote if not mistaken..got a kick out of that!! Great Idea to do the Crystal light tea..never thought of that!! Anyone ever try to walk right on with a cooler with them as carry on full of drinks?? Just curious if this has been done??

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Triumph/Victory November 20/21 2004

Generally you can pack booze in your checked luggage without any problem. Buying at ports is often a hit and miss proposition.

Only on one cruise did they make me check in liquor bought at a port and they could not find it at the end of the cruise. So if that happens make sure you keep your receipt to get a refund.

1/16/05 Conquest Cruzin' Crazies!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;16;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

http://community.webshots.com/user/logoshoe

On NCL we put rum in giant mouth wash bottles and had no problem. Just added a couple of drops of blue food coloring and it looked just like the mouth wash I poured out of it. We did not drink any of it and I brought it home. So I wonder why I want to take it on this cruise! If I take the premixed margaritas, I know I'll drink them!!

Hi Emme, you never made it to our board! We are in single digits now! Booze, we take it all of the time. My apple martinis are packed in bubble wrap waiting for the ride. Beer, friends of mine took 2 cases last time. I think it's just too heavy to ug around and the beer isn't expensive by the bucket. We took 3 bootles on RCCL in Sept. without a problem. We always get booze in Jamaica and they take it all the time until the last night.

Dave

Navigator of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Carnival Triumph

RCCL Majesty of the Seas

Carnival Legend

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess 11-20-04

Thanksgiving Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I took two twelve packs on the Legend last week. Arrived fine and with the cooler it was pack with. The room stewart kept it full of ice everyday.

I spent quit a bit on booze anyway,so I don't feel guilty

Patti

Emme, don't be embarassed. I took two cases on the Inspiration 5/16/04. Just take it out of the case boxes and scatter throughout your checked bags. Buckets of beer (standard domestics) are $13.23 for four cans, gratuity included. If you can buy a case for $16, you save about $65/case by not paying for it on board. I would HIGHLY recommend a soft-sided collapsible cooler to store it in once it reaches your room. Your only other option if you want to keep it cold is to store it in the plastic buckets they have at the bar. Our room steward was stingy with the ice, despite numerous tips. The cooler will take up little space in your luggage and save you alot of hassles running out of ice, sweaty buckets, dumping out the water, etc, then you can just fold it up when you pack to go home. Happy cruising!!!

I think there are usually no problems carrying liquor in the CHECKED bags - it is the carryon bags that they confiscate it from. It happened to my brother when he cruised with us - they took a bottle of run out of his checked bag and held it til we got off the ship the following week. We usually use plastic water bottles and carry it with us.

Even on the islands we buy a large bottle of water and dump it and refill with tequilla and come back with no problems.

It's easier than I thought it would be to get the booze on in the checked luggage.

We had tequila (big bottle), stoli, and malibu rum......all in glass bottles...'but' we did wrap them carefully in our clothes to cushion them for the trip to our cabin.

Worked like a charm..

Sensation 5/15/2004

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Cruises are great, but basicly they are just big floating hotels with attached amusement parks.

As long as I am not breaking any laws they have no real right to mess with what I do in the privacy of my cabin.

It kind of pisses me off that they've all decided to turn the screws by tightening the rules.

As long as I can get something I like reasonable priced to take or be delivered to my room it shouldn't be a problem, but since they're always changing the rules how can I depend on that?

I bought a bottle of Sheridans on RCCL last month and it was our sipping relax drink in our room all week Mmmmmmm.

Can I get Sheridans through Carnival room service?

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HAL Oosterdam, E Carib. 1/2/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;1;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Always take a 30 pack of my favorite local beer (Genny Light) and a couple dozen small plastic bottles of SKY vodka in a 60 can collapsible cooler that we check through. Eleven cruises and have never had anything break or get confiscated yet.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;1;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till the Legend begins

1/22/05

LELS.jpg

Glory 1/17/04

Pride 1/25/03

Fantasy 10/?/01

Oh my!! My Dh was SO happy to hear what you guys had to say about this!! He just went out and bought his "cruise case tonight. LOL

This board is great.

Someone actually told me "Bon Voyage" tonight! How cool is that! icon_biggrin.gif

• 7 months later...
On NCL we put rum in giant mouth wash bottles and had no problem. Just added a couple of drops of blue food coloring and it looked just like the mouth wash I poured out of it. We did not drink any of it and I brought it home. So I wonder why I want to take it on this cruise! If I take the premixed margaritas, I know I'll drink them!!

Wow!! Just a lil overkill dont ya think:p

I had a Nalgene full of Absolut taken at the ship in St. Marteen, I was a bit irritated because the bottle cost more than the vodka did! The guard shook it and said that water didn't bubble like that. He said I'd get it back on the last day, but it didn't happen. We filled Poland Spring bottles the next stop, that worked fine. I guess the beer my girlfriend had and boat drink I had from Fat Tuesday's didn't help our cause.

I think I might get courageous in Feb and try to get a case of beer on after hearing these stories though!

We were on Destiny Jan 9th thru 16th packed 24 of 16oz plastic bottles of Miller lite they serve the same on the ship. My wife packed Rum in her checked bag, when we got to the ship they told us if we bought are booze at the duty free shop we could put it in our carry on and take it to our room and thats what we did. Also we carried on alcohol at all the ports with no issue. We saved alot bring our own, my wife would by the drink of the day a use that glass and just refill her drink all day.

My wife and I on our last cruise (Destiny 2003) even bought booze in port and brought it onto the ship. It was only noticed one time through the x-ray scan. They informed us that we had to go check it in and get it back on the last day. We just kept on walking by the check-in and went back to the room. I dont really believe the security cares about your booze.

Archived