Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > New Orleans

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 7 hours in New Orleans..what to do

I will be getting off a cruise ship most likely around 10am. My flight has been changed to a 5pm flt. I don't want to sit in the airport all this time . I am unable to walk very far so was looking for some sort of tour. Our cruiseline offers a tour with 2 hrs of free time but was looking for other recommendations.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianfarmer
I will be getting off a cruise ship most likely around 10am. My flight has been changed to a 5pm flt. I don't want to sit in the airport all this time . I am unable to walk very far so was looking for some sort of tour. Our cruiseline offers a tour with 2 hrs of free time but was looking for other recommendations.
Its new orleans, hang out in the French Quarter, take a walk down burbon street, you deffinently need a bignet, its such a great city there is so much to do. I don't know if it's still open, but the mall in the city was pretty cool too when I went.

Zydo will be able to tell you if there is one, but I would love to visit a memorial and pay my respects to the victims of Katrina.
Wedding Pictures
http://www.pictage.com/photodisplay/...emailFlag=true

Old September 29th, 2006, 02:32 AM
5,000+ Club

Hi dianfarmer,

There are a lot of tours offered in New Orleans. Check

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/

for options.

Grayline is offering a large variety of tours

http://www.grayline.com/franchise.cf.../details/id/69

They used to start next to the paddlewheel steamboat Natchez at Toulouse Street Wharf (next to Jax Brewery).

Or take a cruise on the steamboat Natchez:

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/

They offer narrated sightseeing cruises (with our without lunch). And it´s a true steamboat propelled by a paddlewheel. It´s one of only five steamboats plying the Mississippi River.

steamboats

Delta Queen 08/95 Pittsburgh - Cincinnati * Delta Queen 05/98 Cincinnati - Paducah (Nashville) * Delta Queen 07/01 St. Louis - Ottawa * Delta Queen 10/02 St. Louis - Clarksville (Nashville) * Delta Queen 07/03 St. Louis - St. Paul - Mississippi Queen 11/04 New Orleans roundtrip / Thanksgiving - Mississippi Queen 06/05 New Orleans - St. Louis / Great Steamboat Race - Columbia Queen 08/05 Portland roundtrip - Empress of the North 09/05 Juneau roundtrip - Deilmann´s Mozart 03/06 Passau roundtrip - Mississippi Queen 07/06 St. Louis - St. Paul / 30th Anniversary - Deilmann´s Dresden 05/07 Dresden - Hamburg - American Queen 08/07 Pittsburgh - Louisville - American Queen 08/08 St. Louis - Red Wing - MS Belvedere 12/11 Passau roundtrip - Queen of the Mississippi 08/13 Cincinnati - St. Louis - MS Amelia 12/13 Köln roundtrip

Grandeur otS 04/07 - Western Caribbean / New Orleans -Norwegian Gem 05/08 Barcelona / Western Med - Norwegian Jade 12/08 Barcelona / Eastern Med - Serenade otS aka MOS II 05/09 Vancouver / Alaska -Liberty otS 08/09 Miami / Eastern Caribbean - Oasis otS 11/09 Fort Lauderdale Pre Inaugurals -Celebrity Eclipse 04/10 Hamburg Pre Inaugural - Oasis otS 05/10 Fort Lauderdale / Eastern Caribbean - Majesty otS 05/10 Miami / Bahamas - Celebrity Summit 08/10 New England/Canada - Allure otS 11/10 Fort Lauderdale Pre Inaugural - Mein Schiff 1 01/11 Canary Islands / Morocco - Vision otS 04/11 Lisbon to Southampton - Norwegian Epic 06/11 Western Med - Celebrity Silhouette 07/11 Hamburg Pre Inaugural - Voyager otS 09/11 Venice - L´Austral 01/12 Antarctica - Norwegian Jade 05/12 Venice - Columbus 2 08/12 Norway - Celebrity Reflection 10/12 Eemshaven/Amsterdam - Splendour otS 05/13 Venice / Greece, Turkey - QM2 06/13 Southampton-Hamburg - Navigator otS 10/13 Eastern Med - Costa neoRiviera 04/14 Western Med check our website for reviews (all German)

Old September 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default my thots

head over to the d-day museum if you like history. it's incredible.

when you finish there take a walk around the french quarter. NO is a truly great old city. from there you should be able to grab a cab to the airport.

my $.02

luv2

07 - NCL Spirit
06 - NCL Sun (free,raffle win on 05 Sun,thanks NCL )
05 - NCL Sun
04 - Carnival Conquest
03 - NCL Dream

Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are thinking of booking the Fantasy in July of 07, and staying in New Orleans 4-5 days. I am the only one in our group of 11 to have visited NO before. We want to put some money back into the economy. The D-Day museum sounds like a must ( my 4 DS and DH are history buffs) Any other suggestions? I have such wonderful memories of NO!

Unofficial VP for Balcony Sitting

DREAM 6-29-14 Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Caymen!
Freedom 7-14-12 35th Anniversary Cruise with family and friends- BEST ever cruise!!
Fantasy 6-5-10 All the Kids & Cousins on board!
Fantasy 6-30-07 I want to go back!
Conquest 7-2-06 Ahh...the memories!
Elation 7-17-05 Detoured cruise to the Bahamas!
Memories: Key West, Freeport, Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, & MANY more to make

Old October 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

City Park is a wonderful place to go as is the Audubon Zoo, Botanic Gardens and the Aquarium. Walking around the French Quarter, eating beignets at Cafe du Monde, shopping at the French Market, riding any streetcars that are running and walking tours of the Garden District are also worth your time. Walking tours can be with a company or on your own. Commander's Palace-excellent food-has a map with detailed info on the Garden District. Enjoy yourselves! I have family nearby, have taken my daughter there since 1st grad (now a sophmore) and plan on going back next Spring Break. Don't forget to patronize the local craftsmen- many are hurting financially.

Old October 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedcruisers
I
Zydo will be able to tell you if there is one, but I would love to visit a memorial and pay my respects to the victims of Katrina.
Only "official" one that I know of is in Biloxi. They were trying to build one in the Lower 9th, but various issues keep coming up. The last one I heard of was the ACLU complaining that there was going to be a cross as part of the memorial? Hello, it's St.Benard Parish. There are numerous small memorials and shrines here and there. There were lots of memorial events around the 1 year anniversary:
http://www.nola.com/katrina/?/katrin...niversary.html

Similar to how hard it is to comprehend how much devastation there is, it is hard to come up with a suitable memorial.

Personally, I think Cat 5 levee protection would be a suitable memorial.

{ok - soapbox off}

Old October 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our group of ten booked the Fantasy leaving from NO June 30. We are spending the night before in NO, then 4 nights after the cruise. We can't wait. I visited NO MANY, many years ago and I can't wait to go.

We booked the Maison-St. Charles (thanks for the tip!) They are soooo nice!! Great deal, very accomodating, and helpful.

Zydecocruiser, thanks for all the info. The hotel said that the city has a bus running right in front of the hotel (since the streetcar is not operable, yet) and it only costs $1.25 and it takes you to the French Market, and all the places one wants to visit.

Unofficial VP for Balcony Sitting

DREAM 6-29-14 Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Caymen!
Freedom 7-14-12 35th Anniversary Cruise with family and friends- BEST ever cruise!!
Fantasy 6-5-10 All the Kids & Cousins on board!
Fantasy 6-30-07 I want to go back!
Conquest 7-2-06 Ahh...the memories!
Elation 7-17-05 Detoured cruise to the Bahamas!
Memories: Key West, Freeport, Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, & MANY more to make

Old October 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
10,000+ Club

Thats really a hard questionSense you said you are limited in your walking, the only thing i can think of is to take a ride around in the trolley, Most everything else in New Orleans involves alot of walking.

Inspiration X2
Imagination
Paradise
Conquest
Destiny
Valor X2
Elation X3
Liberty
Splendor
Spirit
Victory
Legend
Triumph
Glory
Magic

Old October 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I (and family) like the Mardi Gras World. Do the tour and then go look at what you want to see better.
mardigrasworld.com

Old November 7th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmom62
City Park is a wonderful place to go as is the Audubon Zoo, Botanic Gardens and the Aquarium. Walking around the French Quarter, eating beignets at Cafe du Monde, shopping at the French Market, riding any streetcars that are running and walking tours of the Garden District are also worth your time. Walking tours can be with a company or on your own. Commander's Palace-excellent food-has a map with detailed info on the Garden District. Enjoy yourselves! I have family nearby, have taken my daughter there since 1st grad (now a sophmore) and plan on going back next Spring Break. Don't forget to patronize the local craftsmen- many are hurting financially.
City Park took a beating from Katrina - and is still taking a beating because there isn't enough staff to keep it up. The French Market is being repaired right now, but don't know how long that's going to go on. There are still some booths open, but not many. Riverside streetcar is running as is the Canal Street one, but the St. Charles is down for a while (although the downriver portion will be open later this year). Commander's Palace is FINALLY open (YEAH). Other than those things New Orleans is ready for visitors!!

Old November 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spend money

The biggest thing you can do to help the merchants of New Orleans is to spend your money. The more the better.

The merchants who have not yet gone bankrupt can certainly use it to try and stay open another month.

The city and the merchants need your money and need it badly.