Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Seabourn Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Seabourn Cruise Line Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

View Poll Results: what's your wish list of features for the new ships?
boutique restaurant helmed by celebrity chef 47 41.23%
bigger staterooms with more elaborate bathrooms 86 75.44%
sports platform with kayaks, scuba, etc. 32 28.07%
dedicated facility for enrichment (computer classes, etc.) 24 21.05%
ballroom 9 7.89%
more elaborate spa and fitness facilities 27 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Editor

Default Seabourn New Ships Poll!

We're just as excited -- if that's even possible -- as the folks at Seabourn. Check out our story at www.cruisecritic.com/news. It's also on the home page, quite prominently!

And take note of our poll up top! We hope you'll weigh in.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
Cruise Critic

Last edited by KimberlyB; October 19th, 2006 at 09:34 AM.

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's about time! I hope they have a small, all day casual dining venue-espresso and other coffees, pastries, salads, sandwiches etc.--preferably with an ocean view and some deck space (something other than the current skybar setup).

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Very exciting! I am so very glad to see that they are resisting the temptation to go much bigger. A little bigger than the three sisters is OK but IMHO Crystal is too big (I wont even talk about the megas).

The ONE THING I would like to see is some sort of improvement in the location and operation of the tender gangway. The current location near the marina is a bit of a pain and there MUST be some way to make getting on an off the tender a little less harrowing (I am not as young and nimble as I once was).

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Product Development

This is great news! I voted for bigger staterooms with more elaborate bathrooms because I'd like to feel more at home on a luxury ship -- and it is hard to feel at home when you can answer the front door and brush your teeth at the same time

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Asst. Editor

If I had my way, it would be the sports platform with kayaks and scuba, because nothing is better than enjoying the outdoors and being truly relaxed while on vacation. That to me, is the best luxury of all.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Editor

Default Wish I'd thought of that one

Love your suggestion about the casual venue/coffee bar -- wish I'd put it in the options! Thanks....

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplrcrzn
It's about time! I hope they have a small, all day casual dining venue-espresso and other coffees, pastries, salads, sandwiches etc.--preferably with an ocean view and some deck space (something other than the current skybar setup).

Old October 19th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic
Love your suggestion about the casual venue/coffee bar -- wish I'd put it in the options! Thanks....

Carolyn
ALSO,I would like to see the botique dining venue to be Italian with an Italian chef!...Pastas of all styles along with the classic entrees....Better make it large enough to seat 125 because it would become extremely popular if the WORLDS most POPULAR CUISINE were to be featured aboard ship......

Last edited by AWED23; October 19th, 2006 at 11:46 AM.

Old October 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Amen

[quote=editor@cruisecritic]Love your suggestion about the casual venue/coffee bar -- wish I'd put it in the options! Thanks....

[font=Georgia]Carolyn[/FONT...I agree.

Last edited by AWED23; October 19th, 2006 at 11:48 AM.

Old October 19th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplrcrzn
The deck space will be your balcony,and the facility is called ROOM SERVICE,but seriously there is a need for such a venue.I have wondered why they do not make more use of the Midnight Sun Lounge?

Last edited by lord of the seas; October 19th, 2006 at 11:59 AM.

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Awed,
I should check your spelling of Seabourn

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

L of Seas-The whole point of such as venue is to be able to leave your room and socialize with others while having a simple, casual meal at all hours of the day (without having to sit in your room waiting for the room service tray to arrive).

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

xplrcrzn,
Read all of my post,not just the first half.

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I should think bigger cabins with balconies will be the most obvious change. The lack of balconies is the biggest area in which Seabourn clearly lags behind Silversea and others.

Otherwise, I am not sure we will see anything too revolutionary - though undoubtedly there will be one or two more things, my guess is that most of all we will see what the current ships already have made bigger. That is, a bigger Restaurant, bigger Verandah Café, bigger main lounge, bigger spa/gym, and so on and so forth. But still, we are dealing with ships that in tonnage are about the same size as all three current Seabourn ships put together, so there should be room for some new things as well.

My guess is that the ships will bear more than a passing resemblance to SILVER SHADOW and WHISPER which are, after all, a bigger version of SILVER CLOUD and WIND, which are in turn a bigger version of the Seabourn triplets, which are in turn a bigger version of the Sea Goddess (now SeaDream) twins!

Even though built for three different companies, all these ships follow a single path which actually culminates in the much bigger SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER.

I am not sure if Yran & Storbraaten - who designed all the aforementioned ships - have been involved in the new Seabourn ships (they don't usually work for Carnival) and indeed I suspect not, but still, I imagine the design Carnival came up with is very much within the paradigm created by Y&S over the past 20 years, recently with the help of V.Ships and T. Mariotti... Note that the Silversea ships and SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER were all built at Mariotti where the new Seabourn ships are coming from, and with the design input of V.Ships who now handle ship management for Seabourn...

Last edited by dougnewmanatsea; October 19th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

The most important change that I would like to see....the placement of the swimming pool..so that it is attractive..and...a nice social spot. That in my humble opinion is to least attractive feature of the 3 sisters. Of course the balconies are going to be special. Lola

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

More information... Turns out they are a Y&S design. (Smart of Carnival to hire them, even though I don't think they have any history together - even the refurbishments of the Seabourn triplets were handled by Tillberg, not Y&S.)

So then, I suppose, this is another Mariotti/V.Ships/Y&S production (albeit by way of Carnival and Fincantieri) along the lines of the Silversea ships and SEVEN SEAS NAVIGATOR and VOYAGER.

I just saw a rendering (sorry, can't post)... The ship looks like SILVER SHADOW with Seabourn styling cues and a little bit of EUROPA thrown in for good measure.

It has been hinted that there is more than meets the eye - in other words, not just a rehashed SILVER SHADOW but something truly new and better.

These are certainly exciting times for Seabourn! And poor Silversea must be quaking in their boots...

Old October 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This is great new!! It will be nice to have something new to choose from and hopefully it will bring us even more itineraries. I hope the service levels don't suffer on these bigger ships...

Old October 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Editor

Default Balconies

We didn't include balconies in the poll because they've already announced they'll have 'em. And just to clarify -- we're told that yes, indeedy, that design firm will be responsible for these new ships.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Doug
I should think bigger cabins with balconies will be the most obvious change. The lack of balconies is the biggest area in which Seabourn clearly lags behind Silversea and others.

Otherwise, I am not sure we will see anything too revolutionary - though undoubtedly there will be one or two more things, my guess is that most of all we will see what the current ships already have made bigger. That is, a bigger Restaurant, bigger Verandah Café, bigger main lounge, bigger spa/gym, and so on and so forth. But still, we are dealing with ships that in tonnage are about the same size as all three current Seabourn ships put together, so there should be room for some new things as well.

My guess is that the ships will bear more than a passing resemblance to SILVER SHADOW and WHISPER which are, after all, a bigger version of SILVER CLOUD and WIND, which are in turn a bigger version of the Seabourn triplets, which are in turn a bigger version of the Sea Goddess (now SeaDream) twins!

Even though built for three different companies, all these ships follow a single path which actually culminates in the much bigger SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER.

I am not sure if Yran & Storbraaten - who designed all the aforementioned ships - have been involved in the new Seabourn ships (they don't usually work for Carnival) and indeed I suspect not, but still, I imagine the design Carnival came up with is very much within the paradigm created by Y&S over the past 20 years, recently with the help of V.Ships and T. Mariotti... Note that the Silversea ships and SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER were all built at Mariotti where the new Seabourn ships are coming from, and with the design input of V.Ships who now handle ship management for Seabourn...

Old October 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Editor

Default oh and p.s.

The rendering is an illustration in our news story. Go here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1828. Sizewise it couldn't fit in the home page promo on Today on Cruise Critic.

Carolyn

Old October 19th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Carolyn - I should have read our news article first before posting!

I got the rendering and confirmation on Y&S as designers in an e-mail from a friend but it turns out you had already gotten these before me !

In addition to the Silversea, Regent and Seabourn ships mentioned in the article, other ships that have been designed by Y&S are the Sea Goddess/SeaDream twins (both the original design and the SeaDream conversion), EUROPA and THE WORLD.

Needless to say, this cements them as the leader in modern luxury cruise ship design.

Incidentally, when I said earlier that they hadn't worked with Carnival before, I obviously forgot that they did some of the Signature of Excellence enhancements for HAL (possibly because Stein Kruse came from RSSC).

Outside the luxury arena, they have also been responsible for the overall concept of DISNEY MAGIC and WONDER along with Njal Eide, and also did some of the other spaces aboard. They did the cabins and nightclub for the VOYAGER-class ships and the cabins and dining room aboard AURORA. They also designed CROWN JEWEL/CROWN DYNASTY (now SUPERSTAR GEMINI and BRAEMAR) and DREAMWARD/WINDWARD (since stretched and redesigned by Tillberg as NORWEGIAN DREAM/WIND).

Last edited by dougnewmanatsea; October 19th, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Old October 19th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would love it if the new ships were to have aft suites with really large verandas such as those on Regent's Seven Seas Mariner and Seven Seas Voyager. If the new Seabourn ships have these, we would never even think of taking any other cruise line.