Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Holiday Exchange 2013

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holiday Exchange 2013
Celebrate the Holidays of Season with your Cruise Critic Friends -- Halloween - Thanksgiving - Hanukkah - Christmas - Kwanza - The New Year

Old November 1st, 2006, 02:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Question How Could You Be Away From Home for Xmas???

My mother-in-law says "how could you possibly be away from home for Christmas?"

Here is my take on it :

1. No fretting over cleaning the house for company over the holidays
2. No trying to remember where all the Christmas decorations
3. No fights with those gosh darn forever tangled Christmas lights

4. No worry choosing a menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner...Turkey or ham...ham or turkey? Everyone is sick of Turkey by Christmas...Mom doesn't eat ham. Enough already!!!!!
5. No stress...just visits to the Spa.
Big decisions though: what excursions, where to eat lunch, what to choose for dinner...

6. <<Insert your holiday peeves here-- crowded malls, holiday traffic...>>

7. DINNERS---Christmas Eve Dinner, Christmas Day dinner and this year for us, New Year's Eve dinner and New Year's Day dinner (always a big deal in our house for some reason)...
a. No dragging out the good china and tablecloths, where did we put the leaf for the dining room table anyway?
b. No worries about not being able to replace the irreplacable stemware or china that just got broken

c. See #2 above, everyone can eat whatever, whenever and however much of what you want. Dd loves Celebrity's pizza and shrimp combo that our waiter had prepared for her
d. MY FAVORITE-
NO cleanup,
no clearing,
no dirty dishes,
no dirty pots,
no dirty stove and oven...
e. The ability to sit down and actually enjoy a dinner with my family without worrying about all of the above.
f. No changing dirty linens on the guest beds and cleaning guest bathrooms after the company has departed.
g. <<Insert your peeves here>> PRICELESS!

Blogging to Aruba ~ Aruba Pictures ~ Cat Information

2012 Celebrity Silhouette ~ 2008 Cunard Queen Mary 2 ~ 2006 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2005 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2004 HAL Zaandam ~ 2003 Princess Golden Princess ~ 1998 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1996 Majesty Cruise Line Norwegian Majesty ~ 1989 Royal Caribbean Song of Norway ~ 1988 Chandris Fantasy Britanis ~ 1986 Chandris Fantasy Galileo ~ 1985 Costa CostaRiviera ~ 1984 NCL Starward ~ 1983 Carnival Carnivale

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Arubalisa:

I don't mean for my reply to be a downer, and perhaps it's not the response you were looking for, but it's an honest answer to your MIL's question. I think some people might pick a holiday cruise because for them, "home" may be a sad and lonely place, with memories of loved ones who have passed on. Going on a cruise provides them with companionship, whether it be the ship's crew or other passengers.

Christmas is hard for me, because all of my miscarriages took place between Thanksgiving and Christmas. For several years during Advent, the season when my husband and I should have been rejoicing over the birth of Our King, we spent mourning the death of our children. So this year, I asked my husband if we could be away from home for the holidays, and he thought it would be a good time of year to go on a cruise. It's his Christmas present to me.

To me, being away from the short, dark winter days we have here in the Pacific Northwest, and going into the bright sunshine of the Caribbean, will be a boon and a blessing. I feel peaceful just thinking about it.

Karin, lucky mom of two wonderful daughters, ages 17 and 8, and several babies in God's care

Old November 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Usually it's just the 3 of us for Christmas anyways. So we're taking the 3 of us, and transplanting ourselves on a cruiseship in the warm temp!

No cooking, no dishes, no lights....no tree spills....no trying to get the cat to stop climbing the tree..... It will definatly be a nice change for one year.

We can still have just as much holiday cheer, and celebrate just as much....only in a different location!

Check out my blog about saving money on everyday expenses to pay for travel! http://stuffthepiggybank.blogspot.com/

Old November 1st, 2006, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with your MIL at least for now. We have 3 sons, all in their early to mid 20's unmarried, 2 still live with us. I guess I figure at some point they will have wives and then will go off to their wife's family (normally happens with sons, I think) we we enjoy Christmas at home all together now. Some day I am sure we will be cruising between Christmas and New Year's.

Next Up:

Celebrity Summit - 7/13 Bermuda
Royal Princess - 10/25 NYC to FLL
Celebrity Eclipse 2/15/15 - Caribbean

Old November 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Celebrate Christmas with your MIL on another day. That's what we do with the family. We make Christmas whenever we can all get together.
As I recall, Christmas Day wasn't originally on December 25th anyway.
Our family reunion this year will be on December 2nd, there will be about 40 of us together in one place to celebrate the holidays.

http://www.holidays.net/christmas/story.htm

Last edited by cusyl; November 1st, 2006 at 04:16 PM.

Old November 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was a little afraid of traveling at Christmas when my DH first suggested it, 15 years ago. Since then, we've been away 15 times for the holidays, including last year's cruise (our first)!

NCL DREAM - Western Caribbean out of Houston TX, December 24-31, 2005 (our first cruise - finally talked my DH into trying it and now he's hooked )
NCL MAJESTY - Western Caribbean out of Charleston SC, December 23-30, 2006 (the one where the engines died and we lost all power for a few hours, then we limped back to port to find the New Years Eve cruise cancelled )
CORAL PRINCESS - Alaska southbound, Whittier to Vancouver, July 9-16, 2007 (following a Princess land tour ... what can I say other than breathtaking? )
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - Canada/New England out of Brooklyn NY, August 22-29, 2009 (Hurricane Bill forced us to stay in NY the first day and miss our first stop, but it was a great cruise anyway)

Old November 1st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Banned

My DH and I took a Holiday cruise last year, we left 12/24/05 and returned on 01/02/2006. As we both have a child from previous marriage/relationships they are 17 and 21. We celebrate our Christmas the weekend before or on Christmas Eve so that we can share the holidays with their other parent. It was a very nice cruise but I will tell you unless you intend taking all of your kids and family you are close with, for me I really missed my family the entire trip. I even cried on Christmas morning when I seen all the little ones greet Santa! To me, Christmas is not Christmas no matter where you are without your loved ones! But that is just me! Happy sailing!

Old November 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holiday Cruising

3 years ago we did a XMAS cruise and of course were asked the same thing. With all the siblings grown with their own families it was time to go on our own and as someone said earlier make it on another day.
Monarch of the Seas 11/01
Carnival Spirit 12/03
Caribbean Princess 11/04
Dawn Princess-Alaska-6/05
Carnival Victory-Canada/New England-9/06
Carnival Liberty-2/07
Mariner of the Seas - 12/09
Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda- 09/13

Old November 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
Arubalisa:

I don't mean for my reply to be a downer, and perhaps it's not the response you were looking for, but it's an honest answer to your MIL's question. I think some people might pick a holiday cruise because for them, "home" may be a sad and lonely place, with memories of loved ones who have passed on. Going on a cruise provides them with companionship, whether it be the ship's crew or other passengers.

Christmas is hard for me, because all of my miscarriages took place between Thanksgiving and Christmas. For several years during Advent, the season when my husband and I should have been rejoicing over the birth of Our King, we spent mourning the death of our children. So this year, I asked my husband if we could be away from home for the holidays, and he thought it would be a good time of year to go on a cruise. It's his Christmas present to me.

To me, being away from the short, dark winter days we have here in the Pacific Northwest, and going into the bright sunshine of the Caribbean, will be a boon and a blessing. I feel peaceful just thinking about it.

Karin, lucky mom of two wonderful daughters, ages 17 and 8, and several babies in God's care
I totally understand.

I find Christmas hard because we are living over here away from our family at the moment. We were going to cruise over Xmas but found it was too expensive, so we are crusing the week before.

I find Thanksgiving holiday extremely hard, this is because we are British and it is not traditional for us. It feels like Christmas, but it's not! really hard to explain. We are going away on a break for Thanksgiving this year so hopefully we will enjoy the time off work instead of moping round the house feeling sorry for ourselves!

Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holiday Cruising

This will be our first Christmas away from home. Family situations have dictated that we need to do something different and really special this year - our answer is to get completely away!!!

Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Arubalisa:

middle-aged mom please do not feel bad. My post was at LEAST 50% jesting. I will admit, my dh untangles the lights , but still I hate to clean bathrooms

We each have our story.

My grandmother at the age of 89, started a "tradtion" of taking my family on a cruise for Christmas. Out of respect for my dh and his family we politely declined my grandmother's gift and spent both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my in-laws. It is by far the most unappreciated offering I or we as a couple have ever made to anyone. My MIL sits home every Christmas waiting for her son who lives a few miles away to show up at her door. He did, he does, for a half hour...an hour. My husband and I were invisible. We vowed, "never again".

My in-laws recently had a "natural" born grandchild by my brother-in-law. Our daughter who we adopted a year ago is now ALSO invisible. Originally our plan was to rotate Christmas between our families. As adults dh and I can deal with the situation of my in-laws but we do not wish to put our daughter through the pain of rejection of her grandparents. Rejection by her mother at such a young age is enough burden to bear. We spend a week at Thanksgiving with them. They are free to take it or leave it.

Like I said, each of us has our story. I am sad to hear yours and sorry for your loss, thankfully some are happy stories. Christmas means a lot of different things to a lot of people. IMHO it is what you carry in your heart that matters and as long as you have the will, there is joy in every moment we are alive.

2012 Celebrity Silhouette ~ 2008 Cunard Queen Mary 2 ~ 2006 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2005 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2004 HAL Zaandam ~ 2003 Princess Golden Princess ~ 1998 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1996 Majesty Cruise Line Norwegian Majesty ~ 1989 Royal Caribbean Song of Norway ~ 1988 Chandris Fantasy Britanis ~ 1986 Chandris Fantasy Galileo ~ 1985 Costa CostaRiviera ~ 1984 NCL Starward ~ 1983 Carnival Carnivale

Old November 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did Christmas two years ago on the Valor and loved it. The ship was decorated, we went to a Christmas Eve midnight church service onboard, had wonderful meals, even a gift exchange. We booked, then my parents decided to book, eventually we had 25 people go. Everyone had different takes on it...I actually loved it. Like Lisa says...no cooking, etc. I did however, still decorate the house, the lights, baking, etc. My mother, did not like celebrating Christmas on the ship. To each their own. I'm not saying I would do it every year, but it certainly was a nice change.

Carnival Breeze 12/13 Christmas Cruise
Celebrity Solstice 6/11 Mediterrean 25th anniversary!
NCL Sun Spring Break 3/08
Carnival Glory Spring Break! 4/07
Valor 12/19/04 Christmas/Inaugural cruise
Holland America Zaandam 2/04
Grand Princess 9/03
Carnival Inspiration 2/03
Celebrity Horizon 12/02
Golden Princess 11/01
Carnival Holiday 11/94
RCCL Song of America - Honeymoon - 9/86

Old November 4th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Easy

Christmas is in the heart and soul. If you mind is set above and your priorities toward God, Family, and this Earth is right, does it really matter if you are in your own state, in your own home, with your own family?
We should be building the bonds with our family throughout the year, not just on Christmas Day, that said. I have a lot of responsibility throughout the year with aging parents and a disabled son, as a school nurse I have a long holiday at Christmas and throughout the year I should the responsibility of caring for them with a smile and work two jobs to boot.
But Ahh, during these two weeks, I have nothing to clean, no one to wait on, no nursing to do (unless I stump my toe). My body finds rest, my soul finds time with God, I enjoy watching all the celebrations and family events going on around me with impeccable service, terrific deconrations and all the while being nurtured, not worried is this enough food, will so and so like this gift, do I need to do a marathon clean up, deocrating event, etc.....
Last year I was on the high seas, and I will be this upcoming NYE and Christmas (last year was 7 days, this year is a 10 day cruise with 4 pre-post days in FLL.
I get into the spirit early, make certain my gifts are bought, paid for, and wrapped, and delivered. Plan a great Thanksgiving dinner and celebration, go to as many music presentations as possible and keep my focus on God.
Then as the saying goes "I sail off into the blue seas and blue skies, Praising God for His Son and another wonderful trip."
Linda

Old November 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Arubalisa:

HELLOOOOO,,,,,,,,
Holidays are just another day to me............
I am single,,,I spent my holidays with my parents...........
They are both gone now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
So holidays are not the same to me..........
Yes,,I have sisters,,,,,,,,,,They have children and grandchildren.......
I could go to one of thier homes..........
I choose not to go..........
So I CRUISE...........I enjoy cruising............
Yes it cost alittle more to cruise at CHRISTMAS........
But that is my gift to me from me..................
This year I am going on a New Year's Eve cruise and doing a
back to back cruise...............
Being on a CRUISE SHIP at CHRISTMAS is very different............
It's alot of fun...........................
HAPPY CRUISING EVEYONE..................

10/5/95-FANTASY FIRST CRUISE-3
10/12/97-FANTASY-4
10/15/98-TROPICALE-5
12/19/99-FANTASY-4
05/28/00-SENSATION-7
9/10/00-FANTASY-BIRTHDAY-4
12-16- 01-VICTORY-7
12/14/02-PRIDE-7
9/28/03-Sovereign
12/18/04CELEBRATION-BTB=5nts
12/23/04CELEBRATION-CHRISTMAS -4
12/17/05-CELEBRATION-BTB-5
12/22/05-CELEBRATION-CHRISTMAS CRUISE-4
9/11/06-FANTASY-BIRTHDAY-6
9/16/06-FANTASY-B2B-6
12/28/06-HOLIDAY-NEW YEAR'S EVE-4
1/1/07-HOLIDAY-HAPPY-2007-5
12/24/07-CELEBRATION-CHRISTMAS-4
12/29/07-CELEBRATION-NEW YEAR'S
9/22/08-Royal's Sovereign
1/3/09-GLORY-HAPPY-2009-7
1/10/09-GLORY-BTB-2009-7
09/10/09-FASCINATION-B-DAY-4
09/14/09-FASCINATION-BTBTB-5
09/19/09-FASCINATION-BTBTB-5
10/29/09-HOLIDAY-BOO CRUISE-4
11/02/09-HOLIDAY-LAST CRUISE-5
7/1/10-TRIUMPH-W/Family from MS-4
12/30/10-FASCINATION-NY'sEVE-4
1/3/11-FASCINATION-BTBTB-5
1/8/11-FASCINATION-BTBTB-5
12/18/2011-ConQuest-W/MS-Family-6
07/28/2012-Ecstasy-w/MS-Family=4nts
09/10/2012-Fascination-Bday=5nts
09/15/2012-Fascination-BTB.=5nts
01/28/2013-Fascination-BTB=5nts
02/2/2013-Fascination-BTB=5nts
10/28/2013-Fascination=Halloween-5
11/2/2013-Fascination-BTBTB-5
11/7/2013-Fascination-BTBTB-4
1/20/2014-Fascination-Happy-2014
1/25/2014-Fascination-BTBTB=fun.
1/30/2014-Fascination-BTBTB=fun.
4/14/2014-Dream-with Niece & Family.
Future Cruises----------------
8/30/2014-Fascination-BTBTB=Fun.
9/4/2014-Fascination-BTBTB
9/8/2014-Fascination-Bday-Cruise.

Old November 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have been trying for years to get my DH and DD to go away for the holidays with no luck. Our parents are all gone and I have had it with the drama with all our siblings. DD loves to get together with her cousins and won't consider going away. I sure wish she would change her tune, I would book a vacation in a minute!

Completed Cruises:
Coral Princess Partial Panama Canal 3/14
Crown Princess Southern 1/12
Ruby Princess Eastern 10/10
Carnival Fantasy Mexico 9/09
Emerald Princess Southern 10/08
Caribbean Princess Bahamas 5/08
Caribbean Princess Eastern 9/07
Caribbean Princess Western 10/06
Carnival Fantasy Bahamas 7/05

Old November 5th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have spent the last 4 years away for Christmas, either on a cruise or on land. We do it for many reasons and find that just the two of us need this blessing of together time to spare the disappointments of grown children fighting and plans being so hectic. it is only a day but what a happy one when you can truly celebrate with joy wherever you are. Read John Grisham's book Missing Christmas (not the movie The Kranks). It is hilarious and true.

Old November 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy
DD loves to get together with her cousins and won't consider going away.
Is this the only time of year she is able to visit with them? Perhaps you could substitute a couple of weeks for cousins to visit one another during the summer. Then she can cruise with you and your dh over Christmas.

Our dd looks foward to cruising for many reasons, but one of them is that it is really the only time of year that she is able to spend with her cousins. The cousins stayed home last year because they wanted to be with their friends. Must have been some sort of lesson learned there , since they are cruising with us again this Christmas.

Old November 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I can be gone for Christmas very easily

I would simply tell my relatives that they have made it very easy to be away on Christmas. I do not have to cook 2 Christmas dinners because I can't invite both of you to the same meal (mother-in-law and step-mother-in-law). I do not have to listen to how you are so much more wonderful than me and my family (brother-in-law and sister-in-law). I could go on and on and on.

My husband also runs our ice cream shop and cannot vacation in the summer. I am a teacher and cannot vacation in the winter unless it is over Christmas break.

DH, DS, and DD are excited to go on our first Christmas cruise. I just hope it will become an annual tradition.

Old November 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM
10,000+ Club

I just love to read all these stories about cruising at Christmas. I so want to do this, but I'm not sure if I could get over the guilt. The guilt of leaving my grandson and daughter behind. Both DH and I love to cruise and we want to go on a cruise for Christmas. We go on 2 cruise a year and we keep avoiding the Christmas one because of DD and grandson (oh, and I can't leave out son-in-law).

Oh, to dream

Old November 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizinmimi
I just love to read all these stories about cruising at Christmas. I so want to do this, but I'm not sure if I could get over the guilt. The guilt of leaving my grandson and daughter behind. Both DH and I love to cruise and we want to go on a cruise for Christmas. We go on 2 cruise a year and we keep avoiding the Christmas one because of DD and grandson (oh, and I can't leave out son-in-law).

Oh, to dream
Take them with you. It makes for an AWESOME holiday.