Walk at Lamanai Ruins

RondaRed

Can anyone tell me how long and hard the walk is at Lamanai Ruins. I've seen some post that say 2 miles but that seems far to me for only an hour's time spent there. I'm taking my 84 year old father who can walk around the mall twice if he takes his time. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ronda

If I had just walked it I could tell you how long, but since we took our time, stopped and listened to our guide, and climbed two temples, I don't know how far it was. (I wasn't paying too much attention to time either)

The path was dirt, a little bumpy in places, some slight uphill portions. My husband who was still recuperating from knee replacement surgery was able to handle it.

I'm pretty sure he would enjoy the river portion, the lunch by the lagoon, and the museum. Our guide took us in a loop. The first temple was the Mask temple. The longest part of the trip was from that to the high temple. However, if we had gone backwards just over a slight hill from the starting point was the jaguar temple and residential area, and not too far from that was the ball court and high temple (maybe a five minute walk). Perhaps you could do a shortened tour if once you get there you think he couldn't do the whole thing.

Su

Just be careful on some of the paths as they are dirt and stone. A lot of trip hazards. We had a 76 year old lady on our excursion climb to the top of the temple just so she could say she did. The climb is very steep but not everyone has to do it.

If the tour guide has time, see if he can coax a tarantula out of its hole. You will be shocked at the size of these things.

Dave

Thanks Everyone for your input. It sounds like its a leisurely walk with times to rest. Are there places to set down while others are climbing? I think he can do it okay. I will have to watch the tripping hazards. Maybe walk close to him so he can grab on to me if he loses his balance.

Ronda

Can anyone tell me how long and hard the walk is at Lamanai Ruins. I've seen some post that say 2 miles but that seems far to me for only an hour's time spent there. I'm taking my 84 year old father who can walk around the mall twice if he takes his time. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ronda

If your father can walk around a mall twice I don't think he will have major problems with the walk around Lamanai. I did it and I have two bad knees and a bad hip and asthma and I am susceptable to over-heating.

A few cautions though:

Be sure to wear comfortable shoes (like sneakers).

Be sure your father rests whenever he gets the chance - there are benches and other places to sit.

Bring LOTS of water and drink it - dehydration creeps up on you and it is VERY hot and humid at Lamanai

Be prepared to render him a little assistance in a couple of spots on the path where it is very uneven. Most of the path is quite easy to walk on.

After spending several months turmoiling over our Belize shore ex, I signed up for the Xunantunich: The Castle. Then I read that Lamanai was named with a few others as one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Do I need to change my shore ex? Which one is the best? DH & I love ruins and are visiting them in Guatemala and Costa Maya too. We leave in a week.

Thanks for your responses in advance.:confused:

What we liked about Lamanai is the nature part of the tour. Our guide would stop the boat everytime he saw something. We were able to see bats, Jesus bird, crocs, parrots, iguanas, howler monkeys. Because of the length of the tour make sure that you do this one as a ship excursion. You dont want to be left behind.

Dave

Thanks Zeno

I have two bad knees too... so you can be sure I will take every opportunity to get off my knees... :)

jetskier... my dad will love the nature part of the tour. He is a bird watcher and loves it outside... He will for sure enjoy that part of it.

One of the new 7 wonders of the world... sounds good to me.

Ronda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Half the fun is going there by boat. As for walking at the ruins its up to you where you want to walk and do. You can follow the guides all the way or chose to do what you want. Some of the paths are fairly easy some a little rough and slick if it been raining. If you climb the ruins remember if you fall [it does happen] you are in the jungle a long way from help.

Archived