we probably won't do this , but

sarplum

I seriously doubt it. A bottle of wine is a bottle of wine. That said however, if you drink it in your stateroom, there is no corkage fee!!

I always bring some wine along to drink in the afternoon and evening after dinner. I simply purchase a glass of wine with the dinner.

Cheers,

"Corkage" is based on the number of corks, or seals (if non-cork) - so it's $15 "per cork" no matter the size of the bottle. 375ml (half btl), 750 ml (btl), 1.5 ltr (magnum) up to a jeroboam (3 ltr) or methuselah (6 ltr). Of course carrying around a 6 liter bottle could be a problem!;)

Why not buy a box of wine!!! No corkage fee at all!!! Won't taste as good, though.

You still pay the corkage if you bring it to the dining room. And then you've got a box of stuff sitting on your table. And the fee is probably more than you paid for the box!

You still pay the corkage if you bring it to the dining room.

I know that is what the policy says. And that is certainly the common practice in fine restaurants ashore.

But -- in point of fact -- has anyone ever actually been charged the corkage by HAL? I have read numerous reports of people whose waiter was happy to pour their wine and never mentioned corkage.

So... if you bring wine aboard, the only way that you are charged corkage, or any fee at all, is if you bring it to the dining room? How many bottles can you bring?

Yes, or any public venue where a crew member pours for you. As far as I know, there's no limit to the amount of wine and champagne you can bring onboard.

How strong are you? :D
On our recent Westerdam cruise we brought six 1.5 liter bottles of Pinot Grigio. We used 4 of them in our cabin or other cabins for the BYOB parties we had. Two went to the dinning room on two different nights. What wasn't used the first night was recorked and brought out again the next night. Our wine steward did not charge a corkage fee... but he got it anyway and then some on the last night.

Ahh, the beauty of being able to drive to the port! :)

Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time we are looking into cruises leaveing from NYC to avoid flying and a pre cruise stay over .

I pale with fright thinking about what my wife (who makes Mrs. Howell from Gilligans Island look like a lightweight in the packing department *LOL) has in store. :(

But -- in point of fact -- has anyone ever actually been charged the corkage by HAL? I have read numerous reports of people whose waiter was happy to pour their wine and never mentioned corkage.

Last October (2005) we were charged a corkage fee of $10 on the Volendam in the dining room.

We were on the Noordam in October, and brought bottles of wine to dinner almost every night. We were charged the $15 each night.

BTW, our "wine steward" knew next to nothing about wine as far as I could tell. This really surprised me.

Barb

On our South American cruise last November/December we purchased wine in Argentina and Chile and at the end of the cruise we brought a few of those bottles with us to the dining room toward the end of the cruise. Our waiter did not charge us a corkage fee. Of course our sommolier was at the end of his contract and he was returning home to the Phillipines at the end of our cruise, and at the first of the cruise their wine supply was basically exhausted after the transatlantic trip until they restocked in Montevideo. So, this might not be a normal situation. We tended to buy at least 2 to 3 bottles every night on the 16 day cruise and at lunch time a glass or bottle so he was more inclined to not charge us the corkage fee I guess.

jc

I know that is what the policy says. And that is certainly the common practice in fine restaurants ashore.

YES YES YES

But very much worth it, the other NZ Sauv.Blanc on the ship was selling for...... wait for it............$US80

Also, while berthing in Auckland on the Statendam, standing on the rail with some other Kiwi mates and I think we were all astounded watching a huge container load of wine being loaded onto the ship. Obviously the wine had been shipped down from the states, and here they were in Australasian waters where they could have purchased "bloody" good wine oh so reasonably and probably a "DAM" sight better than what they had in the container, therefore selling it more reasonably than they do.

Probably HAL just prefers the ac of "extortsion"

"Corkage" is based on the number of corks, or seals (if non-cork) - so it's $15 "per cork" no matter the size of the bottle. 375ml (half btl), 750 ml (btl), 1.5 ltr (magnum) up to a jeroboam (3 ltr) or methuselah (6 ltr). Of course carrying around a 6 liter bottle could be a problem!;)
AS much as most of us are laughing, I have seen threads where posters have asked about bringing the 5 liter box to the table. I can just see it now: close to the edge, spout off the table as to not spill and the wait staff refilling our glasses 3 or 4 times a meal? I do realize some very good wines are now in 3 liter boxes (not 5 though) but I still can't imagine bringing them to the dining room. For the cabin, it woud be great. We might consider doing it intead of several bottles, I see nothing wrong with 1.5 liter bottles either, but please not boxes in the dining room, with or without a cockage fee. NMNita

We had to pay on one or two occassions, but more often than not, we were not charged the corkage fee.

Our wine steward on the Noordam in July, made a few excellent recommendations, pleasantly. :)

We've had hit or miss with D/R wine stewards, but at least it doesn't seem to take as long as it did a few years ago. We'd be halfway through dinner before the steward showed up. One of our only complaints to the Maitre D' was about the lack of stewards on the Zuiderdam.

On most of our HAL cruises we were charged the corkage fee, but it was still cheaper than buying their wine. On one cruise the female wine steward didn't charge us and we were VERY generous when we gave her cash the last night - to thank her and hpefully reinforce her consideration. Since we had a wine they sold on the ship, she also told us we didn't need to chill it - she just exchanged our bottle for one of her own cold ones! Marc

Since we had a wine they sold on the ship, she also told us we didn't need to chill it - she just exchanged our bottle for one of her own cold ones! Marc

Marc -

We have also exchanged our "gift" wine if we didn't care for it. Until recently, I wasn't aware we could, but now if get a bottle of something we're not so fond of, the wine steward will credit us towards something else. I thought that was a nice touch. We didn't have to waste it.

Archived