Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old June 27th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default atkins

BigR , I would be iterested in what your basic menus have been in the 6 weeks on Atkins, as I am starting the Induction again on Monday, and I need to lose 35lbs. for our 9/26 cruise. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your support.

Mimgan

Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Triumph
RCCL Mariner of the Seas
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Freedom

Old June 27th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscole

Banderboo I've found when I follow Atkins I have a lot less headaches and alot less problems with my stomach. There must be an additive in something you eat that causes the headaches. Have you tried to pinpoint what you ate to the headache. Bacon can cause wicked headaches.

I get headaches when I go off atkins and then go back into induction, but then I get headaches when the weather changes too. Regarding the bacon be sure to watch out for things with sulfites, nitrites, and MSG. All of those things can trigger headaches and especially migraines. MSG can also cause irritable bowel type symptoms.

Tami

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, I've been away from the boards all weekend and so many people have checked in ...it's great. Didn't do well this weekend . Back on induction today. ( Well it WAS my birthday.....). Am not DOWN mentally. Got back to Curves Saturday and I can honestly say , I felt great. I think the major difference between low carb and low fat/calorie for me is that I don't gain when I eat too many carbs now. I have stayed the same since March and trust me, I haven't been the greatest. Still try to avoid bread and potatos, but haven't been 100% in that area either. Before when I would go on a "diet" I would lose , but the Minute I ate more calories...I would gain. I really believe your body does adjust to the calories you are eating. With Atkins ( and other low carb plans) you don't watch the calories, so you are not cutting them down drastically, if at all. Therefore, when you do splurge your body really is not aware of it. That's just my take on it.
Now, as for induction I stay on it for two weeks. BUT I do try after two weeks to keep my net carbs down to around 20/30 so that I lose. But I have other carbs not allowed on induction, such as nuts and the other products made with sugar alcohols that are not alowed during that phase.
Linda, don't worry about the weight at this time...smoking is the important task. Glad you hear you are on track. Just said a quick prayer. I'm sure once your body adjusted to the smokeless lifestyle you will lose those pesky 7 pounds quickly!!
Carolyn, how did your weekend go?
Beachlover...don't you Hate the way men diet?? Life is so unfair at times!! and as far as support goes...we will be your support.
Travel a lot... don't think the email notification is working yet. At least I didn't get any of these new responses. Hope they get it fixed soon.
Banderboo...weight watchers is a healty plan but I just wanted to add that you do not have to eat meat at every meal on Atkins.... You just have to have protien ( and as far a WW is conserned....you should have balanced meals there as well). You can have eggs, cheese, fish, tofu, etc at your meals. Variety is the spice of life!!
Adopt a mom. Let us know if the carb load worked for you.
Steve, nice to see you checking in. Although what banderboo said it true. You men really lose so much easier than us. I am glad to see you living low carb and having success at it. It gives us all encourgement.
Lastly, ( sorry this post is too long) try to watch the LOW CARB AND LOVING IT show on the food network. It is great. Has some good recipie ideas for those not still on induction ( and we ALL hope to be off induction soon!!). Great to hear from everyone and everyone have a great week. Mary

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think the best advice that I could give anyone would be to check with their doctor first, then buy the book and then consult the web page.

I will tell you that I have 3 eggs with bacon or sausage every morning. I'm getting quite creative with omlettes and I've found that some of the packaged sauces are very good when added to eggs.
Lunch is usually a salad, chicken or a burger without the bun. Lunch is my toughest meal since I usually eat out, but many restaurants now try to get some Atkins-type offering on the menu - altho most still have more carbs than I want.
Dinner varies but some kind of meat, melon, vegatables. I've tried to cut out snacks, but when I do snack it's peanuts, pork rinds, summer sausage, cheese or something like that. Just read the labels and pay attention to serving sizes and take vitamins.
Again, check with your doctor because this diet can affect people differently. My chlolesteral drops, but I know of others who had their's go thru the roof.
Hope that helps, but if you have questions, feel free to email me - put Atkins & cruise critic in the subject line and I'll try not to dump it with the junk email.
good luck!

Costa Classica 1992
Song of America 1996
Norwegian Sea 1998
Majesty of the Seas 2000
Carnival Spirit 2001
Norwegian Majesty 2002
Norwegian Spirit 2004
Splendor of the Seas 2005
Pride of America 2007
Serenade of the Seas 2007
Adventure of the Seas 2009
Sapphire Princess 2009
Grandeur of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2012
Jewel of the Seas 2012
Serenade of the Seas 2014
Explorer of the Seas 2015

Old June 29th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ok so I've lost 2 of 7 lbs gained Today is day 4 of not smoking so I'm doing well and feeling optimistic. How is everyone else doing?
Radiance of the Seas Jan 2004
Adventure of the Seas Nov 2003 25 th Anniversary
Enchantment Oct 2002
Rhapsody Alaska Aug 2001
Horizon Bermuda July 2000
Sovereign Jan 1996 and November 1991
Monarch Nov 1993
Majesty Nov 1992
QE2 transatlantic July 1986
Countess March 1986

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

ISCOLE>>>>>>>>>>

I am proud of you on your quest to be a non smoker. Keep up the good work.

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

I found you! Love the new boards, but it's a disappointment to lose all the other great info we had here.

Have taken up a new form of exercise. DH and I bought new bikes a few weeks ago. Last week we rode all the way around a lake. Tomorrow we're going to Virginia to ride a 17-mile trail called the Virginia Creeper. If you're looking for a way to rev up your metabolism, biking is the way to do it!

I'm maintaining my weight around 122. Total loss 72 pounds. That's four pounds more than I weighed in high school. Not bad, considering my age and having 3 children.

DH is finally learning to appreciate the effects of eating low carb (at least part-time - he doesn't need to lose). He used to have a lot of stomach and esophagus problems. Now that we're retired and he's eating my low carb dinners, his problems have just about disappeared. Our son was complaining about not having much energy the other day, and DH told him he might feel better if he wouldn't eat so many carbs! Wow, was I impressed! After 14 months of this WOE, the message is finally getting through!

Everyone have a great day.
Sovereign 12/04
Mariner 12/04
Navigator 10/03
Majesty 9/03
Monarch 5/02
Majesty 12/01
Nordic Empress 10/96

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Bleh! We had a weekend family reunion so everything I lost over the week last week I regained. Thank goodness all of those are done and we don't have any big parties planned after July 4. I'm not to worried about July 4 though because that's our homeschool group and I know that there'll be lots of veggies, salads and good foods. Everyone there is on some special diet whether vegan, raw, dye free, organic... It's an entertaining bunch to cook for.

So anyway, I'm back to losing the same 3 dang pounds I lost last week! Hopefully it will warm up enough to get into the pool and do some exercise because that speeds everything up. We're also going to the zoo tomorrow so that will be a 4 hour walk.

Tami

Old June 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Linda, WAY TO GO. Already losing and still not smoking!!! Tami, you will do fine as long as you stay away from the dessert table! I wouldn't want to have to cook for that group.
Carolina girl. You seem to have totally worked out your WOE for your family. My DH just started this. Today on my way home from shopping I picked up two low carb whoppers. Both my DH and I thought they tasted great, but we could have eaten two!. Still haven't been "bad". We had chinese last night, but I had szhezhan(sp?) scallops and chicken wings. Don't think the sauce could have had too many carbs since it is not a "thick" sauce.and not a sweet sauce. How can we find how many carbs are in "take out" food? WW was pretty good at giving you a book of point conversions for popular take out. When will someone put one out for low carb. We are at the mercy of the restaurants to put the carbs, fibers and sugars on the menu. ( and very few do).
Carolyn, are you back yet??? Hope everything's ok. Everyone, keep up the good work and let's have a great week!! Mary

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and your support too. I printed out some things I found on Atkins.com to help with the induction diet and reading these boards is very informative. I stopped drinking my Crystal Lite Diet Iced tea and I've been drinking mostly water or decaf tea with Splenda. I've lost a few lbs. already.

Dee
NCL Dreamward 07/1995
Horizon 08/1996
Triumph 09/1999
Princess Grand 05/2001
Nordic Empress 07/2002
Princess Grand 12/2002
Nordic Empress 08/2003
Adventurer of the Seas 03/2004
Caribbean Princess 10/16/04
Coral Princess 10/25/05 (10/27-due to Hurricane Wilma!!)
Explorer of the Seas 5/7/06
Radiance of the Seas 10/28/06
Explorer of the Seas 11/11/07 - 12 nights
Explorer of the Seas 4/25/08 - 9 nights
Emerald Princess 10/21/08 - 10 nights
Explorer of the Seas 3/15/09 - 12 nights
Liberty of the Seas 10/24/09 - 8 nights
Liberty of the Seas B2B Oct/2010 - 10 nights
Navigator of the Seas 12/9/10
Celebrity Silhouette 11/18/11 - 12 nights
Allure of the Seas - B2B 12/2/12 & 12/9/12
Navigator of the Seas - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas - 11/16/13
Next: Quantum of the Seas - 4/12/15
Oasis of the Seas - B2B 10/24 & 10/31/15
Oasis of the Seas - 4/9/16

Old June 30th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hey All

Mary,
When ordering chinese.. ask for NO corn starch.. that will help w/carb count...
as for me.. things aren't that great.. was down at parents taking "care of business" or trying and got a call at 1PM.. Alex sprained his finger at sleep away camp. Then got a call from Mike at 5PM.. it's broken and they want him to go to ortho to get in set in cast... UGH... so I drive back "north" tonight (100 miles) and tomorrow at 7AM need to go another 50ish to get Alex at camp at take him to MD.. pray it can be "just splinted" and he can salvage the rest of his time at camp w/o too many restrictions...unf. it's his right and and he's a righty.
Hope everyone's having success and less stress than me.
Carolyn
BTW, did a MAJOR order at Vitaminshoppe and did an impulse purchase of Cortislim -- they had it at $34.95 and I've always been curious, esp. since I've had more than my share of stress.. we'll see.

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Carolyn, you really are having a tough time. Parents then your son. Your going to feel that your living in your car soon. How are Mom & Dad doing? Have you been able to arrange for the help you need? What is happening withyour son's finger.

Mary keep praying today is day 6 of no smoking and I've lost 4 of the 7 lbs. Of course I have to take medication on Saturday am and the only way my stomach tolerates it is by eating a big carb breakfast. Oh well it's only every 2 weeks that i take it.

I've ordered more stuff Vitamin Shoppe, go free shipping and $20 off my order by looking at the coupons in their online circular (sp).

Good Luck everyone this weekend and try to stay good while attending holiday bar b ques.
Enchantment Oct 2002
Rhapsody Alaska Aug 2001
Monarch Nov 1993
Majesty Nov 1992
Countess March 1986

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Carolyn, so sorry about Alex. Maybe the Cortislim will really work wonders for you. I really hope so. I was supposed to go to girl scout camp when I was 8 and I broke my wrist. Never got to go then and it was only a day camp!. Didn't get to overnight camp until I was 13.
Drove my new car to work today. It's so great to finally have wheels again. I haven't had a car since my kids started college. Also my new washer/dryer is being deliverd on Sat. Got the new High Efficiency ones for my new first floor laundry room.

Linda, You are doing so great. Keep up the good work. Losing and not smoking ...how great is that?? What do you mean by a high carb breakfast? Bread??? You could have low carb bread or bagels. My son eats the Arnold bread all the time.

Well, say a prayer for me today. I'm going to go out to eat with the "girls" and then we are going to a Janet Evanovich book signing. I plan to eat low carb, but you never can tell Everyone have a great fourth of July weekend and be sure to use low carb barbeque sauce if you want sauce! then ENJOY. Mary

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default low carb recipe alert

Just thought I'd let you all know that another board I belong to is having a recipe contest for low carb Indian food. They'll be posting all the recipes sent in on their list. I'm not sure if they're posting as they get them or at the end of the contest which is Aug. 10. Anyway you can check it out at www.cuisinecuisine.com if you're interested in Indian food. I'm all about it but I've learned to cook alot of it because my oldest daughter is Indian by birth. It's the best way I can think of to teach her about some of her birth culture.

Tami

Old July 1st, 2004, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Update on Alex

Well, what a day I've had..
Up at 7AM and on the road in 20 mins to drive to p/u Alex at camp to take to MD. Had to stop off at hospital to get records. Then to MD.. then had to get a cat scan of hand (back to hospital) since they couldn't see too well w/x-ray. Well, go back to MD (he's saying that finger will "probably" need 2 pins.. )Alex is scared and also upset that camp's a goner. At MD he tells me that hospital sent over the "old" (yesterday's) x-rays instead of cat. So he talks to radiologist for a verbal (doesn't even look at them) says he needs to see a hand surgeon (growth plate problem) and will need 2 pins... Alex is hysterical now (before we went we were assured that he'd get cast and would be able to do stuff). Back to hospital to get films of cat since I'm pulling Alex from camp (will go back north after to pack him up) and have him seen by pediatric ortho surgeon tomorrow. Luckily the MD we saw today spoke directly w/pedi and we were able to get appt. at noon (esp. since it's usually "impossible" to get appt w/this MD and it's also a holiday weekend coming up). So back to camp for Alex to "say goodbye" . Everyone's upset. They're asking if there's any way for him to come back.. he's the model camper. So I let him hang for a bit after packing up. I read magazine in car and let him "chill". At times when I went to check on him he seemed a bit meloncholy and appoligizing about the situation. Alex could get a bit anxious and I assure him it's not his fault (dodgeball game). So home we go.. another hr in car. All during this time all I had to eat was an Atkins shake (aren't you all proud of me). <luckily I had it in car and found ice at hospital>. I loaded up on several cases at VitaminShoppe so I got to take advantage of savings. I also joined their frequent purchase program (now I have 2 $10 off $50 coupons). The temptation to buy more is high. Miraculously considering all I've got on my plate I'm not "terribly" stressed... did take Cortislim today and also Atkins #3 so I'll let you all know what happens. Had Costco chicken for dinner (had to stop off there for gas and I knew Alex and Libby would enjoy the chicken.. who needs to cook right now w/stress). and a bit of fresh mozzarella (my weakness lately), so all in all good choices.. .let's hope I hold out oK.... maybe I'll get to gym tomorrow before Alex's appt.
Hope everyone is well.
Mary congrats on new car, new washer/dryer... anything else "new"?
Linda, way to go w/kicking the habit.. just think of the $$ you'll save from quitting.
Carolyn

Old July 1st, 2004, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Computers make me crazy. I typed a response hit some key and lost it.............

Anyway Carolyn how are things going? I can't believe how badly Alex fx his finger. I never knew they could put hardware in fingers. Any chance after it's done he can go back to camp? Is he in a lot of pain?

Mary new car great what did you get? I usually eat bisquick pancakes I've tried the Atkins pancake mix with this med and it's not enough in my stomach. But you gave me an idea. I'll have to get Arnold's low carb bread and make french toast and see how that works with my stomach. I had 5 stomach ulcers 2 1/2 yrs ago from meds and I don't want to repeat that.

My dog had surgery this morning 5 cysts removed one incision is over 3" other are 1 and 2" she is not a happy camper. DH and I having been taking turns sitting in the kitchen with her. DH is using the aerobed and will sleep there with her. She usualy sleeps in our room but incisions are ozzing. She's a basset hound her face is usually sad but now she's in pain and it's a really sad face.

DH and I originally didn't have plans for the weekend and now were going to 2 get togetheres. I'm going to try to be really good. Still not smoking. The wellbutrin is helping.
Enchantment Oct 2002
Rhapsody Alaska Aug 2001
Monarch Nov 1993
Majesty Nov 1992
Countess March 1986

Old July 1st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Carolyn, how do you join frequent buyers at Vitamin Shoppe I've spent about $250 on two orders.
Enchantment Oct 2002
Rhapsody Alaska Aug 2001
Monarch Nov 1993
Majesty Nov 1992
Countess March 1986

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default VitaminShoppe

Linda,
I went to the store right by Roosevelt Field (is it Carle Place) on Tuesday to get order in before price increase (don't know if it went up or not). I went to Oceanside library to print out order form showing the online prices since the store there told me they'd match the net (great, don't have to wait for shipping though knew I wouldn't have shipping charges since it was going to be a huge order). Well when I was checking out clerk asked if I was a member.. heck no. Well I joined, didn't realize that there was a coupon in booklet until the next day. I broke the order into 2 $125 and one $75 so got total of $30 off.. also got a great price for Cortislim since I was curious to try it... $35 instead of $50 plus shipping on net directly.
Hope there's some good specials at Vitaminshoppe and I have my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly w/Alex tomorrow.. I too didn't know they put "hardware" w/fingers. What I was told is it's a temporary pin that they'll remove in a few weeks.. just the idea of it scares Alex and makes me squeamish (and that's not good since I'm trying to be brave for him).
Linda, hope you're pup heals quickly and free of pain.
Carolyn

Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Oh, Carolyn, so sorry about Alex. How terrible for him to have to leave camp. Bab enough that he has to have "pins" but to mess up his social life is horrible. Maybe the cortislim is working..you seem to be handling all your stress great. I belong to the gold card at GNC. You get 20% off everything the first 7 days of the month ( this month they are streching it to 10 because of the holiday)..So I'll pick up some cortislim for myself. I am not under the stress you are at home, but work has been pretty stressful for me..who knows...I'll try anything to help me lose weight.
Linda..keep up the great work. You are something else What a great job you're doing.

Tami , I have never had Indian food. There is a dish that I used to love, before low carb, curried chicken and brocolli that they served at work. I'm sure it's loaded with carbs ( bread crumbs on the top is the first clue).
Well, must run to work. We are taking our old car down for an oil change to we have to leave early. Our "new" car is a 1998 Cadillac Deville. It is gorgeous. It has 60,000 miles on it. As long as the car had heat and airconditioning and was running...I didn't care. Just give me wheels
Everyone, have a great holiday weekend. Mary

Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:42 AM
5,000+ Club

OK guys (gals)....I need help here. I chatted with you guys a few months ago. I have been a cc fanatic for a little over a year now but just discovered the "lose before you cruise" section back in March or April. I spoke with y'all some then but have not been back since due to cruise/work. Anyway, help!!!

I started Atkins (or a modified version of it) last Memorial Day ('03) and did well. I say "modified" because I swear air and water has carbs. I can have more than my daily allotment of carbs just walking from the bed to the shower (and their is no food in my bedroom). I also joined Curves. Last summer I was able to really stick with the plan (sort of) and exercise (Curves & golf). I was pretty much ok during the fall & winter (even through 3 cruises and the holidays). Spring rolled around I was still doing ok. In addition to Curves I started doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. This seemed to really help. Even did fine during 2 week cruise in April.

But then I got home and work went crazy. I have been stressed out at work for two months now. I have not had time to exercise (working 14 hours a day or so) and have eaten really badly. On the seefood diet....you know....I see it....I eat it. Heavy on the carbs. I can feel my butt getting bigger with every bite but it doesn't seem to stop me. Well, needless to say I still had tons to lose still and did not need this reversal.

Hopefully work is slowing down a bit and after this weekend (big pool party at my house on the 4th) I will be able to exercise and start concentrating on what I am eating.

Anyway, I hope you guys will make me "accountable". I always seem to do better when I have someone to "report to".

My husband is no help. He would really like for me to be thin but if I could just not be "a whale" I would be happy. He encourages me to exercise but doesn't understand that my Curves has such limited hours that I can't make it when I am going to work early and staying late (before and after Curves hours). He has always been a toothpick and doesn't understand why I can't have chips/dip, pie/cake, etc. in bed with him at 10 pm. If he does gain a lb. or 2 he just has to skip a couple of meals and loses it.

Thanks for the support. Please add me to the prayer list.

Carolyn....I hope things get less stressful for you with your parents and son.

Linda....Congrats on the weight loss while quitting smoking and a big congrats on the No smoking. I have never done that but have some friends that just can't seem to quit.

Everyone else....please keep up the good work and keep encouraging each other. I think the support / accountability really helps.

Have a great holiday and God Bless America!

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!

Who knows what might get booked in between!