Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old December 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Food on Celebrity

My wife and I are thinking about sailing on Celebrity and were wondering if the food is as good as we have heard? We have sailed on several different lines and prefer Royal Caribbean (diamond members). Over the past 20+ years of sailing we have seen the quality of food decrease from true gourmet to average chain restaurant quality on most lines (even though we truly enjoy RC their food is no exception, the quality has truly dropped). Is the food any better on Celebrity or is it on par with the other lines? Thanks for your help/opinions.

Old December 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Good food!

Having sailed twice with X (most recently this past August), I have to say that we found the food to be very good. There is an excellent selection in the main dining room and at the buffets. The specialty restaurants are exceptional and not to be missed!

Old December 6th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default food on celebrity

it is not only the food but also the way it is served. bread stciks at din, you see the deserts on a tray that your waitperson bring to the table, buffet line you use a tray(most cruise lines you carry a dish thru the buffet line), someone will help you with your tray at the end of the line if you want, the list is endless. i am sure you will enjoy the food/service on celebrity.

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjohnb
My wife and I are thinking about sailing on Celebrity and were wondering if the food is as good as we have heard? We have sailed on several different lines and prefer Royal Caribbean (diamond members). Over the past 20+ years of sailing we have seen the quality of food decrease from true gourmet to average chain restaurant quality on most lines (even though we truly enjoy RC their food is no exception, the quality has truly dropped). Is the food any better on Celebrity or is it on par with the other lines? Thanks for your help/opinions.
Hi John !

I second the other's comments. We were on 2 different Celebrity ships in the past 2 weeks, and the food (as always) was excellent, especially for Dinner. I feel that Celebrity's food is far superior than most of their competitors. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have to disagree. We found the food and presentation on our Century cruise to be the worst of all the lines we have been on. Food does not make or break a cruise for us and we are giving X another try. We will see what the food is like on the Summit in a couple days!
Carnival Jubilee, RCL Monarch of the Seas, Carnival Pride, Carnival Inspiration, RCL Radiance of the Seas, Golden Princess, Coral Princess, Carnival Legend, RCL Grandeur of the Seas, Celebrity Century, HAL Zuiderdam, Caribbean Princess, Celebrity Summit, Norwegian Crown, Carnival Triumph, RCL Legend of the Seas, RCL Liberty of the Seas, RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Carnival Dream, HAL Veendam, HAL Eurodam

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We do not find the food on Celebrity to be better than other cruise lines. We also do not find the dinning room service to be better than other lines. Both food quality and service are good, but I haven't found them to be significantly different than the lines with whom they compete.

Cruising since 1968

Old December 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think the food on Celebrity is good. I was especially impressed with the soups in the main dining room for dinner.

Old December 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Jjohnb, I haven't cruised on Royal Caribbean, so I can't really compare that food with Celebrity's. However, besides 18 Celebrity cruises, I've also tried HAL and Princess. While I enjoyed the food on HAL & Princess, I really like the food on Celebrity the most. I also think that Celebrity's service in the diningroom blows HAL & Princess out of the water. Just my opinion...

Old December 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

RCI food is very good. But, from bread through soup to dessert, in our experience we feel X is the best. Of course, a big factor is what ship and what particular cruise you happen to be on when you experience your meals. Like football.... on any given day.....
RCI Nordic Empress 01/92, RCI Sovereign Of the Seas 01/96, RCI Majesty of the Seas 05/97, Carnival Inspiration 01/98, Celebrity Century 04/99, RCI Splendour of the Seas 03/00, RCI Grandeur of the Seas 09/00, Celebrity Millennium 01/01, Carnival Spirit 10/01, RCI Monarch of the Seas 06/02, Celebrity Summit 01/03, Carnival Victory 10/03, Celebrity Galaxy 04/04, RCI Jewel of the Seas 11/04, RCI Empress of the Seas 01/05, RCI Empress of the Seas 05/05, RCI Majesty of the Seas 10/05 (the Wilma adventure), RCI Radiance of the Seas 01/06, Carnival Elation 09/06, Carnival Legend 02/07, Celebrity Constellation New Year's Cruise 12/07, Celebrity Millennium 04/08, Carnival Splendor 12/08, Celebrity Solstice 03/29/09

Old December 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjohnb
You ask this question on a Celebrity thread? You didn't really expect an unbiased response, did you?

I haven't been on a lot of cruises, 1 each on Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCCI and Celebrity. To me, food is food. I've never gone hungry on any cruise. I'm used to McDonalds, Burger King, & Olive Garden, so I don't have a gourmet palate. I actually found Celebrity to be over the top for gourmet. Lots of sauces, very rich food, even carrots were pulverized into a mousse. I don't care for all that fancy cooking. Give me a plain iceburg lettuce salad, meat and potatoes and I'm happy. Actually, the best meal on my Constellation New England/Canada cruise was one day at lunch, we had chicken fajitas. They were excellent! As I said, we didn't go hungry. We found something to our liking every single day, believe it or not! One day returning late from an excursion, found we had missed lunch, so up to the pool area for a hamburger. It was actually pretty good too!

But I think you might get a more unbiased response to this on the "Ask a cruise question" threads.

Old December 6th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Jjohnb,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The cuisine on Celebrity certainly is very good and I find no fault with the quality of the food. The line has expanded its variety in recent years with the addition of pizza and pasta stations in the buffet area and theme buffets at lunch when the ship is at sea. Nonetheless, dinner in the main dining room is very, very French, with lots of fancy sauces. If you like French cuisine, you will be in seventh heaven. If you are not fond of French cuisine, you may find that the dinner menus grow old very quickly.

BTW, Celebrity consistently has excellent beef, lamb, pork, fowl, and shellfish. The regular fish selections are not consistent -- some are better than others.

Norm.

Old December 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default excellent dining

Of the four cruise lines I've recently traveled with I find the food excellent on all and I eat out a lot and not at chain restaurants. I like X best as they serve in the French style with a full complement of silver and add or remove as needed. Most ships have similar menus with different chefs dictating the prep. All are pretty good. X seems to be bit better than other similarly priced ship lines. Princess was less than perfect for service but the courses were good. If only the could make a decent cup of coffee the meal might stand out.

Old December 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

The breadsticks that everyone speaks of are good on X, but I don't rate the quality of food on an entire cruise line based on my opinon of a type of bread or a breadstick.

The bread sticks are good, no doubt about it, but I'm no dummy...I pass on that starch but for one piece for taste. It makes me think they don't care how much weight I gain while on board and how hard it is to take off afterward...

Old December 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you really want amazing food and service you have to go to the specialty restaurants, there is a extra charge but let me tell you it is well worth it!!!
~Millennium Christmas 02~ Summit Alaska (the one right after the cruise where it hit the rock and got a 10 foot gash in it) 03~Summit Christmas 03~Summit Alaska 04~ Infinity Panama Canal Christmas 04~ Summit Hawaii Christmas 05~ Constellation March 06~ Millennium Christmas 06~ Constellation March (airlift/got to steer the ship cruise) 07~ Millennium Europe August 07~Azamara Quest Christmas/New Years 07~ Explorer of the Seas August 08~ Solstice b2b dec. 21+28, 08~ Equinox Inaugural~ 8/8/09~ Constellation 12/20/09~ Eclipse 6/26/10

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisininfinity
If you really want amazing food and service you have to go to the specialty restaurants, there is a extra charge but let me tell you it is well worth it!!!
I agree. The specialty restaurant is well worth the surcharge. Personally I found the food in the dining room on the Infinity (which was my first Celebrity Cruise) to vary from simply Ok to very good...I hate to say this because I'm sure the eyes will absolutely roll, but the food in the dining room and especially in the Buffet, Pizza Bar and Grill was far better on my last 2 Carnival cruises. I will say that I did prefer having waiters that weren't forced to dance.

Never say never.

Again, never say never.

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think the food on X is very good. Very good quality, excellent presentation, good amount of choices.
I also enjoy the full assortment of silverware.
I have sailed on RCCL, food for us was good but the overall all over ambiance could not be compared. And we found the food to be rather "simple"meat and potatoes.
as one poster stated----if you a true meat and potato person , you may not like X as much. I always found many entrees that i enjoyed and remember if you dont you can always order a steak and baked potato.
As mentioned-do try the specialty restaurant--well worth the added cost.
Also enjoyed sushi in the aft of the ship in the pm.
homemade ice creams and sherbets
loved the healthy choices in the Aqua spa cafe ( be sure to check on the daily special written on a small chalk board)
the afternoon tea was always enjoyable
The buffets- are buffets. what more needs to be said BUT i do like how you gather your food with a tray then the young serveres offer to take it to your chair ( very nice )And the linen on the tray. We ate there for breakfast at times but rarely for lunch. we usually enjoyed the aqua spa
IT IS the little touches that make the dining experience very good
I am a mom of 4 and when we cruise its fun to be treated special.with a full array of silver and crystal,excellent personable waiters.
Enjoy your cruise
Nadine

Old December 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by halos
I hate to say this because I'm sure the eyes will absolutely roll, but the food in the dining room and especially in the Buffet, Pizza Bar and Grill was far better on my last 2 Carnival cruises.
No eye rolling from me...My parents are frequent cruisers and sailed Carnival for the first time last month and raved how wonderful the food was!

Blogging to Aruba ~ Aruba Pictures ~ Cat Information

2012 Celebrity Silhouette ~ 2008 Cunard Queen Mary 2 ~ 2006 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2005 Celebrity Galaxy ~ 2004 HAL Zaandam ~ 2003 Princess Golden Princess ~ 1998 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1996 Majesty Cruise Line Norwegian Majesty ~ 1989 Royal Caribbean Song of Norway ~ 1988 Chandris Fantasy Britanis ~ 1986 Chandris Fantasy Galileo ~ 1985 Costa CostaRiviera ~ 1984 NCL Starward ~ 1983 Carnival Carnivale

Old December 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
20,000+ Club

We're getting off the Constellation tomorrow and I have to sadly say, the food continues to decline in all ways, including choices, preparation and taste. And I'm not alone in this thought. After speaking to quite a few of my fellow cruisers, they agree that the food isn't what it was a couple of years ago. I would like to see them get rid of the Roux menus and bring in another chef. BTW, don't order the beef medallions on day 4 of the 11 day cruise. It's the most awful thing I've ever tasted. It turns out it's something called beef cheeks, cooked in gelatin. I cannot tell you how bad that stuff is.

The Oceans Liners restaurant is absolutely sublime. Food and service is the kind you find on Seabourn and Crystal, and well worth the charge. BUT, get rid of the Michael Roux menus and find someone who can design a menu that's tasty, interesting and varied.

Old December 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Kitty9, I look forward to your review

Darcie,
I look forward to your review.
We sailed the Constellation October 27th.
Gitte

Old December 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

While I think that X food is still between good to very good (not excellent) it has declined in each of our 4 cruises on x, the last in Feb, 2006. I still think it was better than HAL, Princess & RCCL, but I would have to equate it to a good hotel food. We do like the sushi and the speciality restaurants. As a result of the decline not only in the food , but also the entertainment (they repeated 2 or 3 of the same shows 13 months later and also had a # of the shows early for the late seat dinners), we're trying Oceania this winter. However, I still think you will be satisfied with the X product.
1/09 Summit- so caribbean
2/08 Azamara Journey-South America
2/07 Regatta
2/06 Constellation- so caribbean
1/05 Constellation-so caribbean
2004 Tahitian Princess- South Pacific
2002 zuiderdam
2001 millenium
1993 regent sea- panama canal
1986 emerald sea
1981 sun viking
1971 jason- Greek Islands and Turkey