Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Panama Canal

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question What is "partial transit" of the Panama Canal?

Would I really be missing out if I scheduled a cruise that has "partial transit" instead of "full transit" of the Panama Canal? Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club

I have done both. The full transit is much better, although we enjoyed the partial transit. On the partial you will enter the Gatun locks......go through them........then the ship normally drops anchor in Gatun Lake to let people off for excursions and then returns through the Gatun Locks.

The full transit is just that..........from the Pacific to the Caribbean/Atlantic through all of the locks.

Different cruises indeed but you will experience the canal with the partial......

Still think the full transit is better..........JMO.
Rhapsody 9/02-Western Caribbean
Splendour 4/03-Western Caribbean
Rhapsody, 9/03-Western Caribbean
Brilliance, 4/04-Panama Canal partial;
Caribbean Princess, 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Infinity, 4/05-Hawaii
Vision, 10/05-Mexican Riviera
Mariner, 4/06-Eastern Caribbean;
Radiance, 10/06-Panama Canal Transit
Jewel, 3/07-Eastern Caribbean;
Grandeur, 10/07-Canada/New England
Voyager, 4/08 - Western Caribbean
Voyager, 4/08-Western Caribbean B2B
Explorer, 10/08 - Canada Atlantic
Maui Land Tour 08
Pacific Princess, 8/09 - Alaska
Europe Land Tour 7/10
Eurodam - 10/10 - Eastern Caribbean
Star Princess - 4/11 - Eastern Caribbean Voyager
Jewel of the Seas - 10/11 - Boston to Tampa Repo
Golden Princess 4/12 Hawaii
Zuiderdam 10/12 Eastern Carribean
Emerald Princess 4/13 S. Carribean

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
10,000+ Club

Actually, a partial transit can be done from either side, not just the eastern side. And it really depends on what you want from your cruise experience as to whether or not you will actually "miss out" by doing a partial. If you want to end the cruise in the same port you embarked, then you would need to do a partial. Look at the entire itinerary and see which one is more of what you want and go from there.

Celebrity Galaxy 11/04
Grand Princess 2/06
Carnival Conquest 10/06
Celebrity Mercury to Alaska 9/07 very cool - literally!
Vegas, baby! 11/08
NCL Spirit 1/09, where everybody knew my name (which was strange and a little fun at the same time)
NCL Pearl 3/10
HAL Oosterdam 5/2011, back to Alaska we went!
RCCL Mariner OTS 3/2012 - another 1st!
NCL Star 12/2012 - more firsts!
NCL Jewel 12/2013 - Christmas on the water
NCL Jewel 11/2014 - and a few more firsts!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old December 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
30,000+ Club

I was only able to do a partial canal cruise due to length of time. So in order to see the full canal I did a ferry excursion through the ship that takes you the rest of the way through the canal on a ferry and it was absolutely amazing.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos)

Old December 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96
I was only able to do a partial canal cruise due to length of time. So in order to see the full canal I did a ferry excursion through the ship that takes you the rest of the way through the canal on a ferry and it was absolutely amazing.
I did exactly the same thing and thoroughly enjoyed the ferry excursion. It was great to be on a small ferry(200 passenger) to actually go through the locks on the Pacific side. I have since taken the full transit and they both have their advantages.

Marilyn

Old December 17th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I would like more infomation on the ferry that you took to go through the canal. Ship excursion or private? If private, was there enough time and easy to find a private tour guide? If through ship; which excursion and approximate what was the cost? Trying to make us our mind whether to do the partial transit or the entire transit. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I figure the entire transit is going to be at least $600. more and I don't think I can justify it but don't want to be shortchanged and regret it later. Thanks

Old December 17th, 2006, 11:35 PM
30,000+ Club

It was a ship's excursion and cost $175. I don't even think it is available as a private excursion (and if the ship enter's Gatun Lake most cruiseline's will only let you off the ship there if you are on a ship's excursion).

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos)

Old January 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile Panama Canal

Thanks for your reply with an estimate of the cost.
M. Burr

Old January 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A "partial" transit ??

What do you mean with a "partial" transit. I thought that all of the ship goes through the gates. Now you say only part of it goes through? Would it be best to be on the front or back of the ship? Confused.

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:52 AM
30,000+ Club

There are 3 sets of locks in the Panama Canal between the Pacific and the Caribbean Sea. In a partial transit cruise, the ship goes through 1 set of locks then turns around and goes back out that same set of locks. This is different from a full transit cruise that goes through all 3 sets of locks.

Most partial transits are from the East Coast. They enter the Canal at the Gatun Locks, float around in Gatun Lake, let of passengers tender off the ship for shore excursions, and then go back out the Gatun Locks back into the Caribbean Sea without going the full length of the canal to the Pacific. From the West Coast, the ship enters the Miraflores Locks, floats around, then turns around and goes back out the Miraflores Locks into the Pacific Ocean without going the full length of the canal to the Caribbean Sea.

A full transit cruise enters one side of the canal, sails through all 3 sets of locks, and comes out on the other side.

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for that easy to understand explanation - we're just starting to look into the Panama Canal cruises and I couldn't figure out what the "partial" or "full" transits were all about - THANKS!!

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

mishdoob, just wanted to point out that this thread is a bit old. Altough the info is still largely accurate, in wrp96's post about partial transits fom the Pacific is not any longer valid as no ships are offering that cruise. HAL and Princess offer a number of partial tranist cruises from around November through April from Florida.
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

thank you for pointing that out - i think i may have searched on google, rather than on here - hadn't realized the date!

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Panama Canal

Is there a difference in weather...better to travel through canal say, Dec-Feb rather than March or April?

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If everything were equal I would pick January, but the honest answer is there really is little difference in those time periods. Anytime in that period would be fine.

Old November 21st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone know what the weather will be like in March? We are doing the full transit.

Thanks

Old November 21st, 2011, 07:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

March is well within the Dry Season in Panama and surrounding area. Dry Season runs from late December through April. Temperatures can be in the low 90s (32C I think) and for lows, it probably won't get below 76 unless you are in your cabin!. Coming from your part of the world it will seem on the warm side, but it's the humidity that is the problem. Don't let any of this scare you off because a breeze, shade and air conditioning are never far away. If you are out on deck for a long time on transit day, don't forget your sunscreen.

Old June 27th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

We booked a 11 days partial canal cruise on Nov 15, 2013. How the weather wil be like Panama ? One of us is mobility challenged, cannot walk more than 100 ft. We will have an electric scooter. What limitation we will have on board and at the ports.

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We booked a 11 days partial canal cruise on Nov 15, 2013. How the weather wil be like Panama ? One of us is mobility challenged, cannot walk more than 100 ft. We will have an electric scooter. What limitation we will have on board and at the ports.
We're in the tropics so more or less the weather is the same year round. Expect hot and humid and probably rain showers. It's unlikely to rain all day but in November I'd expect rain sometime. It is, after all, the rain forest.

You said a partial transit, most likely 11 days round trip from Florida. If you are dependent on the scooter it is unlikely that you will be able to disembark the ship in Gatun Lake via tender, so unlikely that you would be able to take a ship tour in Panama. Only people taking ship tours are normally able to disembark the ship by tender in Gatun Lake. You will, however, be able to experience the Canal and the locks from your ship.

I'd talk with the ship, and do some research on line with independent tour operators about what might be available in various ports with your scooter. Understand that outside the US, Canada and Europe there is a much different concept of accessibility . Frequently pavements are uneven and sometimes challenging even for walking without a scooter!

The nice thing about a Canal cruise is that it is possible to experience the main attraction [the Canal!] without leaving the ship.

Regards, Richard

Richard Detrich - Port & Canal Lecturer & Author
Panama Cruise Blog

Old June 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Panama View Post
You said a partial transit, most likely 11 days round trip from Florida.

The nice thing about a Canal cruise is that it is possible to experience the main attraction [the Canal!] without leaving the ship.

Regards, Richard
Hey Richard~

Am doing the cruise from FLL, Florida a week or so after the poster you responded to & am wondering about the earlier comments about the availability of cruising the other locks on a ferry. Is that still the case & do you know the current costs to do such? Thanks!

May 1997 - Moorings charter in B.V.I.
April 2007 - Carnival Inspiration
May 2007 - Moorings charter in B.V.I
November 2008 - RCI Monarch of the Seas
July 2010 - Coral Princess
December 2011 - Carnival Legend
May 2012 - Moorings charter in B.V.I.
November 2012 - RCI Jewel of the Seas
April 2013 - MM Vacations charter in B.V.I.