Cheaper ways of getting to Chichen Itza.. don't rent a car imho

Brianinidaho

PROGRESSO. Chichen Itza is absolutely mindblowing. I have been to ruins in Israel, Belize, England, Tulum Mexico, etc.. and was taken back here. A must see. Carnival wanted $79 a person, for 8 that added up to a couple of payments on a hummer! Since the pier is sooo long I figured there would not be any non-ship vendors and I would have to take my group into town to find a cheaper tour. Not so. As you leave the ship, there are several buildings with shops. One is a rent a car. A van was $175 for the day. As we got closer to the exit there was a tour operator stand that had signs for different tours. For up to 12 people a ride to and from was just $190, then entrance and food on your own. We took it! Admission was $8 per person, kids free. Tour guides were available for hire for like $20.

I would strongly recommend DO NOT TRY TO drive this far by yourself in a rental car. I’ve rented cars in Mexico and other countries, but would never try to drive this far in a rental. I noticed the signs were confusing to get there (I guess you could just follow the tour busses and hope you do not get separated).

Going there I thought we would last 1-2 hours after the long ride but we could have spent several days. It is that good. On a limited schedule, I would first study the display outside the main gate (after you buy your ticket) that shows the layout of the ruins. I would then (1) go to the main temple and take pictures, etc., (2) then go to the observatory (as you come in, it is toward the right as you look at the temple after you come into the main area… note: just look for the long row of vendors.. they curve to the right and go down toward the observatory) and then (3) go back by the main temple and head towards the left to the ball court. These are the 3 main highlights, at least as we figured. These three should take all the time you have.

I am glad YOU rent cars all the time. I have rented cars in Mexico also. Last was a Jeep in Cabo. But having seen the distance (2 1/2 hours each way) and some of the turns (if you missed them you'd be screwed) I would recommend to most average tourists that renting a car to this site is not a good idea.

Yes there are other ruins. But this is the grand daddy of them all. And if nearby, I recommend seeing it at least once. Hence, I started this thread regading this site.

• 6 months later...

Can't answer the question about tours. But for those that wish to visit Uxmal and want to rent a car or van, the drive is less than two hours. It's route 261 all the way from Progreso to Uxmal. As I've said, IMO, Uxmal is more impressive and prettier. Roads are good and not crowded. I've driven twice from Merida.

I have also been researching my options while visiting Progresso next January.

I have found a PRIVATE tour (there will be 4 of us) that will pick us up at the pier, a/c van just for us, drive us to Uxmal, includes bilingual guide for 3 hr tour, includes entrance fee to site, includes cooler with water and sodas, and then back to pier for $ 93.00 per person.

This may sound high..... but it is a tour with guide just for us. No crowded bus, no waiting for everyone (this is really what we dislike). With the limited amount of time you have in port - it just seems a better idea to spend a little more and have such a better experience. Since I plan so far ahead..... I find ways to save $$ beforehand and can go all out for vacation time.

I hate the idea of wasing money on an excursion, but I dread the idea of missing Ecstasy as she sails. We are doing Cozumel on our own, but since Uxmal is such a distance from the pier, I have a lot of trepidation about booking with a private company. Can anyone relieve my anxiety?!!:confused:

I hate the idea of wasing money on an excursion, but I dread the idea of missing Ecstasy as she sails. We are doing Cozumel on our own, but since Uxmal is such a distance from the pier, I have a lot of trepidation about booking with a private company. Can anyone relieve my anxiety?!!:confused:

If you are visiting Progresso first and miss the ship, just take a bus to Playa del Carmen, catch the ferry to Cozumel and the Ecstasy will welcome you back!!:D

• 4 weeks later...
For up to 12 people a ride to and from was just $190, then entrance and food on your own. We took it! Admission was $8 per person, kids free. Tour guides were available for hire for like $20.

Has anyone else tried this method?

• 4 weeks later...

I have found a PRIVATE tour (there will be 4 of us) that will pick us up at the pier, a/c van just for us, drive us to Uxmal, includes bilingual guide for 3 hr tour, includes entrance fee to site, includes cooler with water and sodas, and then back to pier for $ 93.00 per person.QUOTE]

I would love to get info on the private tour you are using. We are on Carnival's Glory in Nov. 07, and just had an itinerary change since Costa Maya has been destroyed. We were planing to do ruins from there, so I'm glad we still will get to see some. I pray for Casta Maya's return. Uxmal sounds great, and the private tour sounds perfect. You may email me directly at jimmanknows@cox.net

Thanks,

Jim

I just emailed you on this subject. Sounds great to me. I guess we'll all just have to roll with the punches and see what the itinerary turns out to be, but I'd LOVE to do this tour. :D

Sounds great. I'd love to get a bunch of us on this tour. Way better than the crowds.

I'll start checking it out as soon as I get the info from texancruzer.

Could you email me the information on Chitzen Itza...we were to stop in Costa Maya. I trying to organize a group of 26 people to see Chitzen Itza likely from Progresso...Carnival Glory. Thanks Wendy wendysnider6@yahoo.com

I just emailed you on this subject. Sounds great to me. I guess we'll all just have to roll with the punches and see what the itinerary turns out to be, but I'd LOVE to do this tour. :D

we're hoping the Legend is diverted to Progresso for Dec.; PVP sez very likely!

Always wanted to tour here; disappointed to read on website that you are no longer permitted to climb the pyramid:confused:

anyone take the Carnival sponsored tour (too chicken to risk being left behind):o

I have found a PRIVATE tour (there will be 4 of us) that will pick us up at the pier, a/c van just for us, drive us to Uxmal, includes bilingual guide for 3 hr tour, includes entrance fee to site, includes cooler with water and sodas, and then back to pier for $ 93.00 per person.

This may sound high..... but it is a tour with guide just for us. No crowded bus, no waiting for everyone (this is really what we dislike). With the limited amount of time you have in port - it just seems a better idea to spend a little more and have such a better experience. Since I plan so far ahead..... I find ways to save $$ beforehand and can go all out for vacation time.

Can you post this tour company info? I thought you could if someone asked specifically for the info. I'm not up on all the rules regarding posting this kind of thing. We are going to Progresso next March and are going to do Uxmal. We did Chichen Itza before with the RCCL excursion, and while the trip was nice, we could have done it quicker on our own, but were apprehensive about doing so. With a private tour, you could go at your own pace and still be through quicker than with a much larger group. Also- $93 isn't much more than the RCCL price.

Thanks!

Hey Texancruzer, could you please respond one way or another on this private tour info? I've been getting lots of emails to forward this info, from fellow crittic members. I'd like to be able to tell them yes or no, instead of no response from you.

Thanks

Jimmanknows

We are visiting Progreso next March, and I'm looking for something for our group of 10 to do. We will have 3 teenagers, a 12yo and a 8yo. I would love to go to one of the ruins sites and possibly Merida too. How long does it take to get to each one? What are the admission prices? Who should I book a tour through? Thanks for you help!

Hi Texan,

I would love to have the information on the private tour. If you cannot post here could you email the info to jvparish@knology.net? Thanks:)

Hi Texan,

I would love to have the information on the private tour. If you cannot post here could you email the info to jvparish@knology.net? Thanks:)

OK here goes.... Will see if it sticks :p

www.mayanroutes.com

There is an online quote area.... but I emailed him since we were to have such weird hours while there (noon- 8pm) and wanted to be sure this was do-able in that time frame. He responded very quickly. We have now been informed that we will be in port from 8 am to 8 pm due to losing Costa Maya as our 3rd port..... so still going to book with him but at an earlier time.

If anyone else has used this company - please post - THANKS :D

OK here goes.... Will see if it sticks :p

www.mayanroutes.com

There is an online quote area.... but I emailed him since we were to have such weird hours while there (noon- 8pm) and wanted to be sure this was do-able in that time frame. He responded very quickly. We have now been informed that we will be in port from 8 am to 8 pm due to losing Costa Maya as our 3rd port..... so still going to book with him but at an earlier time.

If anyone else has used this company - please post - THANKS :D

Thanks texancruzer, This info is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me which of the tour excursions they recommend. I have heard good things about both Uxmal and Chichen Itza...which do you feel is better. My boyfriend and I are leaving for our cruise in a couple of weeks and trying to figure otu which excursion to choose.

Archived