is taking soda/bottled water on NCL Sun allowed?

mbballoon

I have seen posts here indicating that taking soda and/or bottled water onto NCL ships such as the Norwegian Sun is allowed, but when I spoke with our NCL rep a few minutes ago she said no sodas can be carried on board, and no more than a 6pack of water? Anyone have recent "real world" expereience with NCL on this? We sail tomorrow, and I don't want to carry a case of water there only to have to toss it.

thanks

mb

As far as I can tell, NCL's reps routinely tell callers that passengers are not allowed to take soda or bottled water onboard. This is apparently the official customer service answer. However, there is nothing in NCL's published material (online or printed) that prohibits soda or bottled water (in any quantity). The real-world answer is that there has only been 1 report (EVER) on CC that there's been a problem with this. I myself have never had a problem taking soda onboard.

Please, everybody...stop calling NCL concerning this issue. They may eventually decide to make the policy actually official and start enforcing it.

I was on the Sun last month. I packed soda and water in my checked luggage and had absolutely no problem. No questions asked.

I also bought sodas when on shore and brought them back on. Shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy your cruise!

I just got home from a week on the Majesty and had taped a luggage tag on a 32 pack of water from Sams club. It showed up in the room with the rest of luggage.

They did seem to do a thorough scan for alcohol, I heard a lot of complaints about it being found. CD even joked that we were the most creative group in a long time, but come on, who need 6 large bottles of Listerine for a week, even if they did use the right amount of food coloring to make it look good.

Fred

You can bring bottled water and soda aboard, but don't overdo it and bring a shopping cart full of bottled water and soda. I would think a double six pack should be enough for a week.

And if it doesn't we "reload" when in a port.

-Monte

Am I getting this right.

They charge for soda pop and bottled water?

Have never been on a cruse and don't know what to expect.

Yes, there is a charge for soda, bottled water, and all alcoholic beverages. Milk, juice, coffee, tea, espresso and cappucino (at dinner) are included.

Am I getting this right.

They charge for soda pop and bottled water?

Have never been on a cruse and don't know what to expect.

There was only juice at breakfast other that that very strong unsweetened iced tea. I also brought along crystal lite in the to go packages. One small pouch will give you lemonade for a bottle of water or if you perfer one ohalf of the to go pouch will give you one cup according to your taste. But I also could not get enough of the water on baord,it is very good.

Last week we carried a 12 pack of soft drink and a 12 pack of water in one suitcase.... It was not delivered to our room but was taken to the holding room where we were ask to come by and identify... We opened the suitcase in front of a security officer who looked closely at the items and said it was OK to take to our room....:) Everyone who had booze in a suitcase was told they could pick it up on their way off the ship the next Sunday in New Orleans... Many un happy people who thought they could smuggle booze on board....:mad:

We carted 2 12 pack cans of soda on our dec 7th sailing on the Dawn. This was in on carry on. No problem either.

But did see people getting their carry on booze taken away. They gave it back last night of the cruise between 9 and 11pm. Not happy people

• 5 years later...

I will be on the Dawn next month, my first NCL cruise, but my BIL and his girlfriend were on the Dawn last summer and will be on the cruise next month. They told us that we HAD to bring bottled water with us because there wouldn't be any on the ship and that we would need it while we were in Bermuda. They also advised to bring either a 12 pack or 24 pack and put a luggage tag on it. I am planning to bring maybe a 6 pack but also bring an empty water bottle and fill it up daily and when before I get off the boat in Bermuda.

I will be on the Dawn next month, my first NCL cruise, but my BIL and his girlfriend were on the Dawn last summer and will be on the cruise next month. They told us that we HAD to bring bottled water with us because there wouldn't be any on the ship and that we would need it while we were in Bermuda. They also advised to bring either a 12 pack or 24 pack and put a luggage tag on it. I am planning to bring maybe a 6 pack but also bring an empty water bottle and fill it up daily and when before I get off the boat in Bermuda.

You were misinformed. There is definitely bottled water available for purchase on the ship. However, my advice is to simply bring one or two bottles and refill them with the ship's tap water, which is purified through reverse osmosis and is probably better than most bottled water.

• 6 months later...
We carted 2 12 pack cans of soda on our dec 7th sailing on the Dawn. This was in on carry on. No problem either.

But did see people getting their carry on booze taken away. They gave it back last night of the cruise between 9 and 11pm. Not happy people

Not happy people? Too bad, S@#$ happens when you try and sneak stuff on board. Cruise companies are trying to make a profit

We had a case of water in our car 2 years ago from a small trip we took to Key Largo prior to the cruise and the person helping us with our luggage slapped a tag on it and took it (we weren't even intending on taking it). It showed up in our room on the Pearl with all of our other luggage, no problem.

Last year on the Carnival Valor we packed some bottles of soda in an extra suitcase that we planned to use on the return for any purchases. The mistake we made was we locked the suitcase and we got sent to the naughty room because on the scanner the rings and bottles "looked like a bomb", they said. But, it took 5 seconds for us to open it and once they saw it was not a bomb they let us take it to our room, also with no problems.

I appreciate someone reviving this thread because we are soon sailing on the Sun and I had searched through endless threads to see if we could just slap a luggage tag on the soda like we did with the water on NCL and there were many mixed answers (I think probably because of incorrect info from NCL reps and TAs)

Archived