Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old January 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Jewelry shopping in the Caribbean

My wife and I took a Princess cruise in November and visited many jewelry stores in St. Maarten and St. Thomas, most recommended by the Princess hostess on board. I was only a bit concerned about making purchases because I hadn't researched it at all, but we are taking a Princess Western Caribbean cruise in March and might want to take another look (if the same types of stores are available on the Western side). Mostly looking for stuff for my wife, but I also saw tons of watches and might look for something for me as well. I saw Kay's Fine Jewely had blue diamonds and yellow diamonds that looked really good, anyone had any experience with those?
Anyone have and good/bad stories to share, or tips on where to shop and how to get a good deal.
I did find a couple of previous postes on this topic, but they were over two years old, and wanted to get some updated comments. Any comments would be appreciated!

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
10,000+ Club

The important thing to remember is that the stores "recommended" by the Princess hostess, pay Princess to be "recommended".

Another thing to remember is that you really have to know your gemstones well to determine if you are getting a good deal or not.

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi;

We to where sceptical and we have used both the Princess recommendations and others and have been more than satisfied.We had the jewelry appraised when we got home from a qualified gemologist and found the appraisal to be more than double what we paid.

We have bought from Omni in St.Thomas and Landmark on Grand Cayman and bargained although not to sucessfully.

On one cruise we went first to St. Thomas and then to St. Maarten and people thought the prices were better in St. Maarten????.A gamble.

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down

On a recent Crown Princess cruise, we purchased a pair of tanzanite earrings at Cardow's in St. Thomas for my daughter. We were back onboard, sailed away and I wanted to look at the earrings which I placed in our safe. Lo and behold, they were not the same pair we had the clerk take from the showcase! One was blue, the other purple and the settings were different on each one. Obviously the clerk had switched the earrings from the time they were taken from the showcase and given to us. She even had asked us after taking the earrings out of the showcase "are these the ones?" We immediately went to the person who had given the talk onboard on shops in St. Thomas and at least Princess made good on our purchase at their sanctioned shop and three weeks later we did receive the correct pair.

My advice is follow the clerk around from the time she takes the item out of the showcase till you see her put that exact item in the box and hand it to you.

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM
40,000+ Club

We have never been able to find the 'deals' on the Western Caribbean Cruises like we could in St. Martin and St. Thomas in the Eastern Caribbean. In fact, on the Western, we don't even bother to do much shopping anymore. Totally different experience in ports.

We never shop at the Princess recommended stores either. All that means (as stated) is that those stores have paid Princess a fee to advertise them. Have had tons of good luck finding great bling bling in other stores in the Eastern Caribbean though.

Old January 6th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm shaking in my boots...my wife wants to shop for some bling bling on our upcoming cruise. It makes me nervous. Shouldn't she be happy spending quality time with her husband???

Old January 6th, 2007, 01:12 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Cruzer
I'm shaking in my boots...my wife wants to shop for some bling bling on our upcoming cruise. It makes me nervous. Shouldn't she be happy spending quality time with her husband???
She loves you very much and is just trying to save you all the money by finding those better deals in the Caribbean. My husband always forgets to bring along his CC in St. Martin. He is so forgetful, but not to worry, I NEVER fotget mine. LOL

Old January 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

The best deals I have ever seen are in St. Marteen. I agree with the western Caribbean, not really any reason to do much shopping there. Got a great deal on a watch in St. Marteen. One thing to know is the ship prices are pretty good (especially watches) and you get the guarantee. I found a watch on board that was $75 cheaper than anywhere in the US I looked. Start shopping here in the states so you know what you are looking for and how much is a good deal in the Caribbean.

Good luck

1/14- Carnival Breeze- 6 day cruise with best friends. First time to Jamaica!
12/13- NCL Sky- Bahamas- Carnival was Booked , great father and son weekend.
11/13- Carnival Glory- 2Day to Nassau- Weekend getaway with the whole family!
9/13- Carnival Breeze- Southern Caribbean- Great times on the newest ship. Loads of fun at the waterworks and ropes course
5/13- Carnival Dream- Western Caribbean
11/12- Carnival Imagination- didn't even get off the boat!
4/12- Carnival Valor- Family 25th Anniversary
11/11- Carnival Liberty- Adults Only Cruise
4/11- Carnival Destiny- Key West & Cozumel- Cruisin' with my Soul Mate
2/11- Carnival Glory- Happy 18th birthday Scooter- Love Dad (family cruise)
4/10- Carnival Inagination- Time away for Mrs & Mr Fuzzy
11/08- Carnival Liberty- Family Cruise Eastern Caribbean
2/08- Carnival Inspiration- 3 day - Bahamas
4/07- Crown Princess-Southern
1/06- Carnival Miracle-Western
12/05- Grandeur of the Seas-Western
1/05- Carnival Glory- Eastern Caribbean
1/04- Carnival Paradise-Western Caribbean
3/03- Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas
9/85-6/97- Cruisin' with Uncle Sam (Submarine Service)
6/85- Bermuda Star- Bermuda

Old January 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What I found

Jewelry shopping was cheaper and less crowded in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. I got a good buy on a tanzanite which I had made into a ring. It was not a ship's store. A well known store in St. Thomas could not come close to price/carat I had paid. However, St. Thomas had my favorite souvenier an ORBIT WATCH. They are a bargain at $10.00 each, and it makes me smile everytime I see "Virgin Islands" on the face of the watch. They were in the Princess Jewelry store...but you have to ask. My thanks to Christy the onboard shopping advisor for the info about the Orbit watch.

Future cruises - Southern Caribbean back to back San Juan - Jan 2015Celebrity Summit

1983 World Explorer SS Universe to Alaska - 14 day
1986 Costa Riviera
1988 NCL Skyward
1991 Premier Majestic
1992 Premier Majestic
2001 NCL Seaward
2004 RCI Sovereign of the Sea
2005 RCI Splendour of the Sea
2005 Celebrity Zenith - Christmas at Sea
2006 Caribbean Princess - Christmas at Sea
2007 NCL Pearl - Christmas at Sea
2008 NCL Jewel - Christmas at Sea
2009 RCI Radiance of the Sea - Alaska Cruisetour cruise
2009 Star Princess Sept. 23 - Oct. 24, 2009 San Francisco to Sydney
2010 NCL Pearl - Pacific Coastal
2010 HAL Amsterdam - 1 night to Seattle
2010 Caribbean Princess - New England/Canada
2011 Golden Princess - 14 day LA to Hawaii
2011 Celebrity Infinity - 10 day Alaska RT Seattle
2011 RCI Navigator of the Sea - 6 nite - circle Cuba
2012 Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii
2012 Caribbean Princess - 12 nite - British Isles
2013 - Vantage River Venture - Rhine and Mosel - 14 nite River cruise - with a 500-year flood
2013 - NCL Dawn - Back to Back: Boston to Quebec to Boston
2014 - Crown Princess - Caribbean Islands - 14 nite
2014 - Crown Princess - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise - 7 nite