Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by map92 View Post
The last info I had was if you leave from a U S port you do not need a passport. It would be best to go to your cruise web site and check on documents needed. have a good cruise!
To whom were you responding? There are over 800 posts on this thread prior to yours...asking a variety of questions, with a variety of answers.

Passport requirements are not a simple as you suggest. For some people, on some cruises, a passport isn't required. On others they are required. You can't make a blanket statement without reference to or knowledge of the particulars.
Reply With Quote

  #842  
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
mapsmith's Avatar
mapsmith mapsmith is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,617
Default 2012 National Passport Day on March 10.

Easy way to get your passport processed. The National Passport Day is March 10, 2012. All Passport Offices will be having staff available to help get your passport. (Including many Post Offices). Take your BC and go to the Office and they will help.
__________________
Carnival Paradise (2001) when non smoking
Carnival Destiny (2002)
MSC Opera (2004)
RCI Majesty of the Seas (2004)(The Between the Hurricanes Cruise)
Golden Princess (2006)(The Sister Surprise Cruise)
Carnival Spirit to Alaska Aug 22, 2007
MSC Lirica "Carnival Cruise" 1-29-08
Carnival Miracle Jan. 2009 (The bad azipod cruise)
MSC Poesia Jan 2010 (Baseball Cruise)
Celebrity Solstice Jan. 2011 Aqua Class
Carnival Valor Jan. 2012 (asparagus at each meal)
Carnival Valor Jan 2013 (Eggplant at each meal)
Carnival Glory Jan. 2014 (American Feast/American Table Guinea Pig Cruise)
Carnival Breeze Jan 2015. What will happen this time?
Reply With Quote

  #843  
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:47 PM
sunflower47's Avatar
sunflower47 sunflower47 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania - USA
Posts: 217
Default A few questions

Thanks for the info on National Passport Day on March 10.
Here is the link in case anyone wants it:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5535.html

We both do not have passports yet and do realize the importance of having them for emergencies to get off the closed loop cruise, if needed.

We are taking our first cruise next year, a 4 day out of Miami, leaving at 5pm on a Monday and returning 7am on Friday. This is to "test the waters" so to speak to see if we like the cruising experience.

We are contemplating whether or not to get passports. We may not enjoy this experience and not want to take anymore cruises. If we do like cruising, we can get the passports after this short cruise. The expense of 2 passports is a lot if we may not need them again. We have to hope no type of emergency comes up in the 86 hours we are not in the USA. I don't see international air travel in our future.

My question is that my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my drivers license has my married name on it. I have read several posts back something similar (pertained to a newlywed)and I guess I should check w/ the cruise line and assume I am bringing my marriage license with me?

If you were in my shoes with only 86 hours out of the country, would you invest $270 not knowing if you would ever use the passports again, or just do the Driver License and Birth Certificate.

Just out of curiosity about how many cruisers do only bring their DL & BC?


TIA
__________________
Sunny




NCL Sky 11-10-14
Reply With Quote

  #844  
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
smeyer418's Avatar
smeyer418 smeyer418 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 20,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower47 View Post
Thanks for the info on National Passport Day on March 10.
Here is the link in case anyone wants it:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5535.html

We both do not have passports yet and do realize the importance of having them for emergencies to get off the closed loop cruise, if needed.

We are taking our first cruise next year, a 4 day out of Miami, leaving at 5pm on a Monday and returning 7am on Friday. This is to "test the waters" so to speak to see if we like the cruising experience.

We are contemplating whether or not to get passports. We may not enjoy this experience and not want to take anymore cruises. If we do like cruising, we can get the passports after this short cruise. The expense of 2 passports is a lot if we may not need them again. We have to hope no type of emergency comes up in the 86 hours we are not in the USA. I don't see international air travel in our future.

My question is that my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my drivers license has my married name on it. I have read several posts back something similar (pertained to a newlywed)and I guess I should check w/ the cruise line and assume I am bringing my marriage license with me?

If you were in my shoes with only 86 hours out of the country, would you invest $270 not knowing if you would ever use the passports again, or just do the Driver License and Birth Certificate.

Just out of curiosity about how many cruisers do only bring their DL & BC?


TIA
although I am passport pusher for a four day out of Miami as your only cruise I would skip it...

IMO
__________________
Proud charter member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society

smeyer418@yahoo.com
Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, RCCI, Cunard, Viking Overnight Ferry(Finland-Sweden), hydrofoil between countries(Estonia,Jersey) car ferries and three river cruises(Egypt, China and the Danube) and of course the Staten Island Ferry
NCL Gem 2/2015
Reply With Quote

  #845  
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM
cherylandtk's Avatar
cherylandtk cherylandtk is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 12,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower47 View Post
...We are contemplating whether or not to get passports. We may not enjoy this experience and not want to take anymore cruises. If we do like cruising, we can get the passports after this short cruise. The expense of 2 passports is a lot if we may not need them again. We have to hope no type of emergency comes up in the 86 hours we are not in the USA. I don't see international air travel in our future.
You already know that if you have an emergency you will be delayed in returning to the US. You know that if you miss the ship, you cannot fly to the first port. As long as you understand and accept those risks, then the decision is yours to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower47 View Post
...My question is that my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my drivers license has my married name on it. I have read several posts back something similar (pertained to a newlywed)and I guess I should check w/ the cruise line and assume I am bringing my marriage license with me? If you were in my shoes with only 86 hours out of the country, would you invest $270 not knowing if you would ever use the passports again, or just do the Driver License and Birth Certificate.
Royal Caribbean has become a stickler on asking for this bridge documentation. Carnival and Princess rarely do. Their assumption is that you had to prove your name change in order to get the DL in your married name anyway. That said, to eliminate any worries, yes you should take a copy of your marriage license, which should be among your important papers and documents anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower47 View Post
...Just out of curiosity about how many cruisers do only bring their DL & BC?
Typically about 5-10% of cruisers. More so on the short cruises like yours.
__________________


Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984
Reply With Quote

  #846  
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:52 PM
TPKeller's Avatar
TPKeller TPKeller is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, VA USA
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower47 View Post
This is to "test the waters" so to speak to see if we like the cruising experience.

I don't see international air travel in our future.
I believe it was the short cruise market that drove the need to keep the BC/DL option available, for the very reason you give, in some cases the cost of a passport approaches half the cost of a short cruise to The Bahamas.

Having said that... your post says you are from PA... even if you hate the cruise, but love the beach or whatever you choose to do in your ports of call, a flight to Miami is essentially the same as a flight to The Bahamas... maybe you will be international travelers one day after all!

Theron
__________________
Click here to tell me stuff
-----------------------------------------------------
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]
Reply With Quote

  #847  
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
warjo2611's Avatar
warjo2611 warjo2611 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 53
Default As of 08/14/2012, ....

Ok everyone, do you need(required) a passport for cruise starting in State of Florida, stop in Nassau, cruise line's private island, and back to Florida?
We do plan getting off the ship, and site see Nassau , and private island. Everyone is 19 and older.



I know this question ask 100's of times but like a answer.
Reply With Quote

  #848  
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM
TPKeller's Avatar
TPKeller TPKeller is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, VA USA
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warjo2611 View Post
Ok everyone, do you need(required) a passport for cruise starting in State of Florida, stop in Nassau, cruise line's private island, and back to Florida?
We do plan getting off the ship, and site see Nassau , and private island. Everyone is 19 and older.



I know this question ask 100's of times but like a answer.
Nothing has changed. The answer is still the same.

By the way, your plans to either get off or remain on the ship have absolutely nothing to do with the type of documentation you are required to have for a cruise. Everyone assumes you will get off the ship at every port. There is no provision to make any exceptions.

Theron
__________________
Click here to tell me stuff
-----------------------------------------------------
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]

Last edited by TPKeller; August 14th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #849  
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mom2Evie Mom2Evie is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforeigner View Post
Unless you live along the southern or northern borders, you can forget about the passport type card. This is still under debate by Congress and it will only apply to those who live on the border and have to go across rather frequently.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a_tw_2223.html
Per the link to the State Dept. a passport card is good to travel in the Carribean.
Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean Region
Sea
Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc
U.S. Passport Book or Card

nations considered to be "Caribbean"
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a_tw_3256.html

Q:Why a Passport Card?
a:The Department of State has developed a Passport Card as a more portable and less expensive alternative to the traditional passport book. The passport card is a basic component of the PASS (People Access Security Service) system announced by Secretaries Rice and Chertoff in January 2006, and will meet the specific requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to secure and expedite travel. WHTI is the Administration's plan to implement a provision of the Intelligence Reform Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, which requires citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda to have a passport or other designated document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. According to the Department of Homeland Security, other documents such as registered traveler cards (NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards) will be acceptable under WHTI.
__________________
Mom2Evie
Reply With Quote

  #850  
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Evie View Post
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a_tw_2223.html
Per the link to the State Dept. a passport card is good to travel in the Carribean.
Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean Region
Sea
Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc
U.S. Passport Book or Card

nations considered to be "Caribbean"
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a_tw_3256.html

Q:Why a Passport Card?
a:The Department of State has developed a Passport Card as a more portable and less expensive alternative to the traditional passport book. The passport card is a basic component of the PASS (People Access Security Service) system announced by Secretaries Rice and Chertoff in January 2006, and will meet the specific requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to secure and expedite travel. WHTI is the Administration's plan to implement a provision of the Intelligence Reform Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, which requires citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda to have a passport or other designated document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. According to the Department of Homeland Security, other documents such as registered traveler cards (NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards) will be acceptable under WHTI.
Please pay attention to the date of the post you're disputing. It was made in January, 2007, more than 5 years ago, and long before the rule you're citing was put into effect. The first passport cards were issued in mid 2008.

Last edited by njhorseman; September 17th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #851  
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Mom2Evie Mom2Evie is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
Please pay attention to the date of the post you're disputing. It was made in January, 2007, more than 5 years ago, and long before the rule you're citing was put into effect. The first passport cards were issued in mid 2008.
I wasn't "disputing" anything, but adding new, updated information. I provided it because I came to Cruise Critic looking for the answer. I couldn't find any complete, up to date info on the topic. When I located a definitive answer on the Dept. of State website, I shared it here. I was trying to save others the trouble.
__________________
Mom2Evie
Reply With Quote

  #852  
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Evie View Post
I wasn't "disputing" anything, but adding new, updated information. I provided it because I came to Cruise Critic looking for the answer. I couldn't find any complete, up to date info on the topic. When I located a definitive answer on the Dept. of State website, I shared it here. I was trying to save others the trouble.
So what was the purpose of quoting a post that was over 5 years old if you weren't disputing it?

If you wanted a question answered all you had to do was ask it directly. If you wanted to cite the latest information all you had to do was post it directly.
Reply With Quote

  #853  
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM
vjmatty's Avatar
vjmatty vjmatty is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Adirondack Mountains
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
So what was the purpose of quoting a post that was over 5 years old if you weren't disputing it?
From what I gathered reading her post, the purpose was to provide updated information since as you say the prior post as five years old.
__________________
Ginny



Peace.....Love......Zumba

Reply With Quote

  #854  
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmatty View Post
From what I gathered reading her post, the purpose was to provide updated information since as you say the prior post as five years old.
And as I said, if all the intent was to provide updated information they could have just posted it.

The information they posted isn't new anyway...the passport card was put into use in mid 2008...and the information has been posted here innumerable times in innumerable ways since then.

I have no doubt that the poster's intentions were good...but it looks like they had no idea they were quoting a post that was more than 5 years old and made before passport cards existed. If I'm wrong about this I apologize.

Last edited by njhorseman; September 24th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #855  
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Henryanne Henryanne is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

We have a friend who would like to join us on a cruise to the Bahamas later this fall (closed loop). She is not yet a citizen, but will be taking the naturalization oath about two weeks before we are set to sail. So at the time of the cruise, she will be a citizen with her naturalization certificate in hand. It looks like this will not be enough time to obtain a US passport, though she plans to file for one as soon as she takes the oath.

My question is: will the naturalization certificate be enough for her? (We know that it's best if she has a passport with her, but it just doesn't look it will work out in time). We've found conflicting information, with some sites stating ithe certificate will be enough, and others omitting the certificate on the list of acceptable documents.

Thanks in advance and my apolgies if this has recently been asked and answered.
Reply With Quote

  #856  
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryanne View Post
We have a friend who would like to join us on a cruise to the Bahamas later this fall (closed loop). She is not yet a citizen, but will be taking the naturalization oath about two weeks before we are set to sail. So at the time of the cruise, she will be a citizen with her naturalization certificate in hand. It looks like this will not be enough time to obtain a US passport, though she plans to file for one as soon as she takes the oath.

My question is: will the naturalization certificate be enough for her? (We know that it's best if she has a passport with her, but it just doesn't look it will work out in time). We've found conflicting information, with some sites stating ithe certificate will be enough, and others omitting the certificate on the list of acceptable documents.

Thanks in advance and my apolgies if this has recently been asked and answered.
The Certificate of Naturalization is accepted as proof of citizenship for a closed loop cruise. Here is the explanation from the Department of Homeland Security: http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Please make sure your friend brings the original Certificate of Naturalization, as well as a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license.

Last edited by njhorseman; September 27th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #857  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:08 AM
lberbe lberbe is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 54
Default not the typical passport question

I have a passport question but not the typical "is it needed".
I'm wondering if we'll get the passport stamped in each of the countries on the cruise assuming we get off the boat? Mexico, Belize, Honduras (Roatan), Grand Cayman.
If we're going to have a passport, I want it to look well used.

Last edited by lberbe; October 2nd, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #858  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lberbe View Post
I have a passport question but not the typical "is it needed".
I'm wondering if we'll get the passport stamped in each of the countries on the cruise assuming we get off the boat? Mexico, Belize, Honduras (Roatan), Grand Cayman.
If we're going to have a passport, I want it to look well used.
No, you won't routinely get your passport stamped in the Caribbean, nor in most other places.

In some ports there may be a nearby customs office that will stamp passports upon request.
Reply With Quote

  #859  
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
luvdisney2010 luvdisney2010 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 250
Default

I know I am going to get flamed for asking this question. There is a dispute among family members over whether SIL needs a passport. We are cruising from San Juan on RCI on a Southern Caribbean itinerary and back to San Juan. She is a U.S. citizen. SIL claims she only needs a DL. My DH, her brother, thinks she needs DL and BC (but wants her to get passport). She doesn't want to renew her passport right now (which has expired). What does she need? As an aside, I think she is being ridiculous and should just get her passport rened personally. Thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #860  
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
njhorseman's Avatar
njhorseman njhorseman is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney2010 View Post
I know I am going to get flamed for asking this question. There is a dispute among family members over whether SIL needs a passport. We are cruising from San Juan on RCI on a Southern Caribbean itinerary and back to San Juan. She is a U.S. citizen. SIL claims she only needs a DL. My DH, her brother, thinks she needs DL and BC (but wants her to get passport). She doesn't want to renew her passport right now (which has expired). What does she need? As an aside, I think she is being ridiculous and should just get her passport rened personally. Thanks.
At a minimum for a closed loop cruise she needs an official government agency issued birth certificate (a hospital-issued BC is not acceptable) plus her drivers license. She will not be permitted to cruise with just a drivers license.

It would be preferable for her to have a passport, as should she need to take an international airline flight due to an emergency or some unplanned circumstance, a passport would be required.

Last edited by njhorseman; October 29th, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.