Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cabin Selection Tips

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cabin Selection Tips Help on how to choose a cabin on a cruise ship.

How To Choose A Cabin from Cruise Critic
Offer up your opinions on selecting the best cabin.

Old January 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Very Front Or Very Back Of The Ship?

What do you prefer and why..the very front or the very back (aft). I would especially like to hear from people who have been in far forward (1st one) cabin. That is where we will be on our next cruise on the Jewel (Deck 11)

Thanks

Old January 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM
30,000+ Club

Very back of the ship, absolutely. I've had both. The cabins on the very back of the ship have the best view. PLUS we felt the most motion in our very far forward cabin over any other place on the ship.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old January 20th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Cruise Critic Host

i prefer the very aft.. love those deep balconies.. and I let the forward people break the waves ....

Host Star
Cruise Critic message board moderator
HostStar@cruisecritic.com

plus!!!

Diamond plus Member of Royal Caribbean

Old January 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

I notice that the most expensive cabins..Penthouses, Garden Villas and Romance are in the very front of the ship. I can't imagine anyone spending that kind of money if they were going to be rocking and reeling all week. I know for sure that Hawaii would not be a good place to be in a far forward cabin, because you do get rough seas, but what about the Caribbean? Any time we have been to the Caribbean the seas have been pretty calm. I think when you go would be a factor. We are going in March.

Old January 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know that when I have felt seasick in the past, staying in the aft part of the ship made me feel much better. I wouldn't have known to do this, it was the crew members who directed me there.
10/08/2004 Voyager of the Seas
01/18/2006 Norwegian Sun
04/01/2006 Navigator of the Seas
01/28/2007 Radiance of the Seas
04/06/2008 Westerdam
01/03/2009 Eurodam
03/20/2011 Niew Amsterdam

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

The aft has such a great view. That being said I've been forward as well and it wasn't bad.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

The aft is definitely smoother. On our Navigator cruise I felt motion sickness a lot more when in the Theatre at the front of the ship, even though it was a lot lower down than our cabin on deck 9. We were right at the back too the last starboard balcony before the real aft ones. I'm staying at the back now and have nabbed a real aft balcony for our next cruise!

Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Everyone tells us the Panorama Deck on the Valor is so great - and the cabins are all forward....... These aft comments are really scaring me

Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've been towards the front of the ship before (not quite the 1st cabin) and I liked it. I've been in Aft cabins before on their balconies and although I am one of the rare few...I don't like them. I find that there tends to be extra noise back there from the ships motors or whatever, just creating more "water" noise then is to my taste.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16
I've been in Aft cabins before on their balconies and although I am one of the rare few...I don't like them. I find that there tends to be extra noise back there from the ships motors or whatever, just creating more "water" noise then is to my taste.
I'm also one of the rare few. I prefer to be mid or forward. The noise and vibration in the aft bother me.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope I am also one of the few that prefers the forward!!!!!!

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have been in suites on the bow and in insides on the bow and a balcony on the stern and many places in the middle.
I prefer the middle. Suites on the front are two windy, and you get a LOT of movement both Bow and Stern plus stern you get vibration.
Lots of noise in either case.
The Midship area moves less no vibration to speak of and much less noise.

THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE IS NOT HATE, BUT INDIFFERENCE

Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

I'm glad to hear there are a few people who liked the front., since we will be #1 on the Jewel on deck 11 as far forward as you can get. I can't imagine that it could be that terrible being that most of the expensive cabins are in the front. The caribbean is normally calm in March and April.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinfeet View Post
I notice that the most expensive cabins..Penthouses, Garden Villas and Romance are in the very front of the ship. I can't imagine anyone spending that kind of money if they were going to be rocking and reeling all week. I know for sure that Hawaii would not be a good place to be in a far forward cabin, because you do get rough seas, ......
We had a forward Penthouse (I think it was the 2nd door from the front) On our Hawaiian cruise - I loved it and I am extremely sesitive to motion. there was only one night that was a bit rocky but I saw people stagger all over the ship on my way to the room. I took extra ginger capsuls and had no problems.
On our New England cruise this Oct. we will have a back facing cabin. I'm a bit nervouse about it because of the noise factor mentioned. Oh well I don't plan on spending a lot of time in the cabin and at night I'll just use my Earplugs!!

"Birds fly over the rainbow... why can't I"

Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Had an aft balcony on Explorer of the seas. WONDERFUL! This cruise I have a forward facing cabin. And a sideways cabin to boot. I'll let you all know how it is when I return in April.

I don't care where I am as long at it's a ship, it has a cabin steward and a waiter and asst. waiter I am a happy camper!
12 - 1991 Souvern of the Seas Caribbean, 1993 Star Princess - Caribbean, 1994 Regal Princess - Caribbean, 1995 NCL Dreamward - Caribbean, 1996 Veendam - Cruise with MOM - Caribbean, 12-31-2001 Granduer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2003 Veendam - our first girls cruise - Caribbean, 1-3-2004 Splendor of the Seas - Panama Canal, 1-1-2005 NCL Sun - Caribbean, 3-12-2006 Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2007 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 2-25-2008 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 10-8-2008 Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 1-19-2009 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 1-2-2010 Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean, 4-25-2010 Statendam - Panama Canal, 8-7-2010 Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda, 10-18-2010 Celebrity Mercury - Caribbean, 03-04-2011 Rotterdam - Hawaii & Tahiti-Amazing, Eurodam - Caribbean Nov 2012, Veendam - Canada/NE - Aug 2013, Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Dec 2013

Old January 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just wondering...... any time I have been on a cruise, I have never been bothered with the motion when I am at the pool or the buffets - which were in the front of the ship. Why would forward cabins be any different?

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have yet to be aft. When I booked our cruise, the only thing available to my taste (I didn't want to be lower in the ship) was room 7000 or 7002 on Radiance. Overlooked the heliport, no balcony. It wasn't bad.

Until we left the Inside Passage to get to the glacier, and that night it was so incredibly rocky. UPPPP, DOWWWWN, UPPP, DOWWWWN. Ugh. My hubby used to work on oil tankers, so the entire cruise was a cakewalk for him; I couldn't wake him up to get him to help me out, calm me down. I finally had to calm myself down by reminding myself that the cabinets were NOT opening, that nothing was rolling around. Next morning my well-rested hubby had a conversation with another couple at breakfast (who had had the same issues as I did that night) about how it was all normal, that you want a ship to move and to creak (as it had been doing), b/c if they don't move and bend slightly then they'll just break (ack!).

If only he could have woken up enough to talk me down like that that night!

Anyway, whether or not there are expensive rooms above deck 7, the front of the ship can indeed get a LOT of motion. That morning I was finally sick, and then I felt better (let me state for the record that I was also newly pregnant, and we'll never know if it was a very early bout of morning sickness, or from the ship's rocking overnight) and it was all fine the rest of the cruise.

But next time I'm trying the back with those balconies, even if there's less movement in the middle of the ship.

Old February 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

we have only been on one cruise but stayed in cabin 8201, cant get any more forward than that unless u are in captains control room. It wasnt bad, quiet and the seas were rough but our room was fine.

Old February 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

we have only been on one cruise but stayed in cabin 8201, cant get any more forward than that unless u are in captains control room. It wasnt bad, quiet and the seas were rough but our room was fine.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've twice been on a ship at the rear with a balcony, and suffered from the vibration of the pods that these modern ships use. Also, I don't like the way the balcony is overlooked.

I've been in the very front suites of the Queen Elizabeth 2 - just behind the bridge - and whilst they do move (as we found out in a force 10 in the North Atlantic) the forward view is wonderful.

Of course the best bit about the Queen Elizabeth 2 and her (very few) balconies is that if you are on the top deck, they are completely private, with no-one overlooking you at all.

The bow takes the pounding from the waves, and of course the anchors are there. The aft has the vibration from the shafts (on a real ship) or the pods (on one of these new things).

High up forward is my preference. Midships lower down would be acceptable.

But then I like a good storm!

Matthew