Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > New England

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question to the Boston experts

Our cruise in June on RCL stops in Boston for one day. We have visited Boston before, and for this day would like to see Lexington and Concord. What would be the best way to get there from the cruise port? Thanks.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Best way to get there is if your ship has an excursion to those towns (many ships do). Otherwise, either rent a car, or find a private bus tour to Lexington and Concord, they should be fairly easy to find

Old January 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
Best way to get there is if your ship has an excursion to those towns (many ships do). Otherwise, either rent a car, or find a private bus tour to Lexington and Concord, they should be fairly easy to find
Would public transportation be a viable option? I really want to just get to Lexington and then do the hop-on-off trolley they have. I try and stay away from ship tours whenever possible.

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with nightmare. To take public transportation, you first have to get to North Station to catch the commuter rail to Concord Depot. When you get off, it is a 1.5 mile walk to the North Bridge (west end of Minuteman National Park). So I think that the train ride, walking, waiting for trains, etc. would take up a lot of your time.

I personally think that you would maximize your sightseeing time if you took the ship's tour or another tour company bus directly to Lexington and Concord.

There is some good information at http://www.nps.gov/mima

P.S. To me, the best part of the area is walking along the Battle Road (no cars). There are interpretive signs along the way that explain where certain events took place. There is also a good multi-media presentation at the NPS visitors' center.

Old March 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON M. View Post
Would public transportation be a viable option? I really want to just get to Lexington and then do the hop-on-off trolley they have. I try and stay away from ship tours whenever possible.

Nope, not a viable option at all. rent a car - if you are brave, or do a ship tour.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

depending on when you're to dock here in Boston. I would be really hesitant to rent a car and do an excursion because the traffic can be horrendous. With the cruise ship excursion, it may not be your ideal trip, but you'd be guaranteed to be back onboard before heading to your next destination.
Carnival Paradise - June 2004

Old April 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question to the Boston Experts

Check out www.bostontours.us

They run a 3 1/2 hour trip that includes Cambridge, Concord, Lexington. They have a pick-up listed at 8:25 am at the Seaport Hotel, which is a 5 minute walk from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. It looks like the actual tour then starts around 9:30 which would get you back around 1 ish.
$75 for two people would be cheaper than renting a car for the day.

These are the folks that run the red Beantown trolleys, which also do tours of Boston, and usually are parked right at the dock waiting for the cruise ships to come in. Believe me, I know, because I work in that area and we have to guard our parking spaces with vigor!!! So check and see -- maybe they even pick up at the dock. Good luck!

Madeline815

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default boston card

I was looking at this as it includes the beantown trolley...BUT you have to first use your card at their office (Greyhound) so you have to get there to start the tour...not good business....any hints on the best things to see. I have a couple of days

Old May 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are doing the Canada/NewEngland 7 day cruise, B2B on Crown. So we will be able to enjoy Boston twice. Any "must do" suggestions, and any ideas where the ship docks??? Would the beantown trolley be close by?

Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone taken advantage of the Mt. Washington Cog Railway excursion?? Sounds wonderful!

40 Completed cruises and
7 Booked....

RCCL Jewel of the Seas - December 6, 2014
RCCL Jewel of the Seas - December 13, 2014
Azamara - Journey - January 10, 2015
RCCL - Navigator of the Seas - April 12, 2015
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - July 26, 2015
RCCL - Liberty of the Seas - November 29, 2015
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - April 18, 2016

Spending our sons' inheritance, one cruise at a time

Old June 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM
5,000+ Club

BabySis: we did the Mt. Washington Railway cog train 2 years ago. The train chugs up the mountain and stops for about 30 minutes at the top. On top, there is a restaurant and a small museum. And, some snow too! We were there in early Oct. It was cold and windy. The scenery beautiful.
One thing that I did not like, was the thick black smoke that came into the train cars! But, the tour was interesting.

58 cruises on 13 lines....RCL (4), Sun (1), Costa (1), NCL(4), Epirotiki (1), Princess (10), Regency(1),HAL(4), Cunard(1), Celebrity(23), KD(1), Grand Circle(3) MSC (2)

532 days at sea......

Grace

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Boston is a great walking town, so you really don't have to spend a lot money to see a lot. The Freedom Trail is always good, and Quincy Market is always a great place to stop for any type of food you want.

I love Boston, I have been to a lot of different cities in my life, but Boston is still the best!

Go Sox!