Buying Turkish Rugs

ronjj66611

Please forgive me if this is a repeat of some other thread, I have searched high and low for imfromation but found very little. So here goes:

We will be on the 8/13/7 sailing of the Celebrity Galaxy which will make two stops in Turkey. My question is/are these.

1) Can you get a good deal on quality Turkish rugs, or are you better off buying them locally? (California in our case) approx cost if known

2) How do you get the rug home if purchased? Will the merchant ship it home for you at a cost?

3) What would be a good type rug (need large rug for master bedroom), wool, silk, combination, some other type of material?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Ron

Please forgive me if this is a repeat of some other thread, I have searched high and low for imfromation but found very little. So here goes:

We will be on the 8/13/7 sailing of the Celebrity Galaxy which will make two stops in Turkey. My question is/are these.

1) Can you get a good deal on quality Turkish rugs, or are you better off buying them locally? (California in our case) approx cost if known

2) How do you get the rug home if purchased? Will the merchant ship it home for you at a cost?

3) What would be a good type rug (need large rug for master bedroom), wool, silk, combination, some other type of material?

Ron

My husband and I were in Turkey last October and saw virtually 100s of rugs for sale there. When in port at Izmir, we also visited a "carpet factory" located near Ephesus that is supported by the government. We couldn't handle the high pressure sales tactics and making a decision on the spot, so refrained from purchasing rugs while we were there.

We have a variety of Oriental/Turkish rugs in our home ~ ALL of which I have purchased from eBay. All of them cost less than $150 including shipping. We had plenty of time to decide the size, shape, material, colors and pattern by doing this. We also had recourse to complain or get our money back if the rug was not as advertised. We have heard stories of people purchasing rugs, and when they arrived, the rug was NOT the same one they picked out in the foreign shop. What do you do then? Here's the latest rug we bought from eBay ~ handwoven, cotton weft, and about $135.00 including shipping. It's 4-1/2' x 6'. Click the tiny thumbnail to see a larger photo.

rug2d.jpg.fc1108385ec7ba22ac641e105df542b6.jpg

Hi JoanieBlon,

Thanks for your input. Seems as though from the information I did find, your experience is typical. Guide takes you to factory, then the sales pitch starts in. Still, I would love to find a nice rug on vacation. Just not sure about all the particulars.:confused:

Ron

Hi,

On my recent cruises to Turkey unless you can handle the heavy high sales pitch then l wouldnt buy any carpets , if you dare so much as enter the shops there is no escape.These guys really cant take no for an answer

A number of people bought carpets and had them shipped home and so far that l know none have resembled what they bought.

Unless the cruise line has recommended shops l would be quite wary! however its an experience believe you me!!

Good luck !!

Myles

Hi,

On my recent cruises to Turkey unless you can handle the heavy high sales pitch then l wouldnt buy any carpets , if you dare so much as enter the shops there is no escape.These guys really cant take no for an answer

A number of people bought carpets and had them shipped home and so far that l know none have resembled what they bought.

Unless the cruise line has recommended shops l would be quite wary! however its an experience believe you me!!

Good luck !!

Myles

Hi Cunardqueen,

Thanks for your input. I'm starting to think maybe this isn't a good idea unless I'm willing to carry it back home with me. I can handle the sales tactics, but not the fact that you have no recourse once you get home and end up with the wrong rug.

Thanks again,

Ron

• 5 years later...

Mevlana Rug House, Istanbul, Turkey - a bad experience:

In November, 2011, we bought a rug from Mr. Mehmed Polat at the Mevlana Rug House, Istanbul, Turkey, which turned out to be defective. When I contacted him, he said that, if I let the credit card charge go through, he would give me a letter with his personal guarantee to come to our home in a few months to replace the rug or he would return our money. Mr. Polat never came to our home and never returned our money, and time had passed, so the credit card company could not stop the sale. One year later, Mr. Polat has our money and we have a rug full of moths which is falling apart. One might want to think twice about doing business with, and/or recommending the Mevlana Rug House, Istanbul, Turkey.

• 2 months later...

Ron

Take an expert - It is a minefield

Ron

Sorry - Error

• 3 weeks later...

Ron

Sorry error post

My parents (now in their 80s) sailed on the Brilliance in 2005. Mom fell in love with a rug in Ephesus, and there was no saying 'no' to her for my Dad! :p The store delivered it to the ship for them, and my parents kept it in their stateroom. It was compact, and about a 5'x8' size rug. My folks love it! Oh, and their friends traveling with them purchased a larger rug, and had it shipped home to the US. And they did receive the rug that they had picked out.

I'm glad it worked out for my parents and their friends. Sometimes it is just fun to find a special item on vacation to enjoy back home, as a reminder of the trip.

• 1 month later...

Archived