Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: Are you bored with the Caribbean?
Yes, I've seen enough. 118 24.23%
No, I love to cruise there! 345 70.84%
Never been ... and no thanks. 10 2.05%
Never been, but would like to go. 14 2.87%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Product Development

Default Are you bored with the Caribbean?

In his presentation at Seatrade's the State of the Industry panel Tuesday, NCL's Colin Veitch asked the question a lot of people are thinking: are cruise passengers bored with the Caribbean?

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; March 15th, 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Asst. Editor

I've only sailed to the Eastern Caribbean. Would love to cruise to the Western for all their water sports and someday, the Southern Caribbean to just kick back and relax.

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Will I Go Back?

Like ze Erica say, I've only been zer once -- on a seven-night Carnival to the Eastern Caribbean. I would love to go back and try a more off-da-beaten path type of cruise though, one stopping ze less populated islands.

Cheers,

Wacky

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am not officially tired of the Caribbean, however I think I would enjoy an itinerary like some of the ones offered for Bermuda; where the ship goes to one port or two at the most. It would be nice to have more time to enjoy and learn about a port. I don't get much out of 4 ports on a 7 day cruise.

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Melissa -

You need another category, maybe I still like the Caribbean but would love to try something new. I like the Caribbean and have sailed and traveled to most islands. At this point, its not so much the destination as the desire for warm weather, sun, beach and a coconut drink with a little umbrella in it! I would love to try other venues, such as the South Pacific, Europe and Asia, but I want to wait until the kiddo is a little older.

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
20,000+ Club

Red face

yes, another catagory might fit better. I did answer yes, I am but we still cruise it becasue there are not that many choices. We have found ourselves getting off the ship less and less. NMNita
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Product Development

That's a great point; thanks for posting your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honbun View Post
Melissa -

You need another category, maybe I still like the Caribbean but would love to try something new. I like the Caribbean and have sailed and traveled to most islands. At this point, its not so much the destination as the desire for warm weather, sun, beach and a coconut drink with a little umbrella in it! I would love to try other venues, such as the South Pacific, Europe and Asia, but I want to wait until the kiddo is a little older.

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Until I have seen every island I will never be tired of the Caribbean.
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006
Rhapsody - 2005
Rhapsody - 2003
Splendour - 1999

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Bored with the Caribbean? Bored is a choice. Choose what you want, I do. If I choose a cruise for ports.......I'm not board.
If I choose a cruise for sun and beach.......I'm not board.
If I get on a cruise ship and say "I'm bored" please throw me overbored.

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Who could ever be bored of sun, fun, beaches, drinks and excursions....

I enjoy it if I'm just sitting on a beach and I enjoy it if I'm innertubing through the rainforest..... it's what you make of it..... enjoy and relax or going full speed ahead...

"Toes in the water, ass in the sand not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today"

Breeze 02/15/14-Renee and Lisa Let the games begin
Spirit 02/07/2010-Just the Miracle Girls
Liberty 12/02/07-Parents 45th Anniversary Present
Miracle 03/26/06-Mom and me Girl Scout Cruise
Fantasy 04/24/05-family cruise (me, hubby and girls)

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
40,000+ Club

I wouldn't say I am bored, but I prefer to see new places. That is why we crusie to Asia, Europe & south America.

Paul

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nope. Not until I've seen every port both Eastern and Western and they're some I want to visit again.

Tanker4

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love the Carribean, but I am bored with some of the ports. How many times can you go to the same island? I think the cruise lines need to get more inventive on where they go. Shake some things up so everyone isn't going on the same itinerary over and over.

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No, we love to cruise there! Have visited 15 Caribbean ports so far and plan to visit at least 15 more. Love the beaches, swimming, people, culture, art, and food.

Have traveled alot in U.S., Canada, and Europe and keep coming back to the Caribbean as the favorite.

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've only been on one cruise so far so I am not bored yet However, I do find myself looking at the itineraries and thinking, "Oh, Cozumel is on there *again*." I think they need to mix up the ports a bit. Isn't there anywhere else to dock around the Cozumel area that isn't Cozumel? I like the prices of the shorter cruises but I don't want to have to visit Cozumel every time.

Aft Cabin Convert

DCL "Magic" May 2008
RCI "Enchantment of the Seas" October 2007
RCI "Adventure of the Seas" June 2007

RCI "Majesty of the Seas" April 2007
RCI "Enchantment of the Seas" May 2003

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lived in the Caribbean all my life (48 yrs) and I am not board and dont think I will ever get board. I have been to most of the island's at least 4 or 5 times and some others at least 15-20 times. The problem with cruisers is that you are in an island for a few hours so the options available are a little shopping and a tour. That is nothing to judge each island with. Each island has it's own culture and there is so much going on all year that you can never experience it on a cruise. There are Jazz festivals, Carnivals, culture heritage shows, large sporting events, regattas etc. I can see how you can get board with the ports and the usual trinket shopping because it is pretty much the same but I cant get board of the islands.

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't you just hate people who rephrase the question?

I think a more appropriate question would be "are you bored with many of the cruise lines unimaginative Caribbean offerings?" It's the cruise lines (some, not all) that are the bore, not the Caribbean.

Granted, some of this is structural--you just can't get a big ship into many of the more interesting islands of the Caribbean and thus, are more limited in what they offer.

Nope, not bored with the Caribbean.

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Don't think I will ever get tired of the Caribbean ports. Been to many of them several times, some only once and a few I've yet to see.

A Caribbean port beats Ohio any day, winter, fall or spring, and is a lot more exciting than Florida as a winter getaway for us!

Dianne

Email 98Charlie Here

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not bored with sun shine

We have been to most of the ports in the Caribbean at least once and many times to the more popular ports. We are appreciative of the efforts of the cruise lines to add new ports over the years and hope they will continue to do so.

It's interesting to watch the locals adapt and grow as the cruise tourist industry influences their area. Their amenities, services and professionalism grow with each year of experience.

I agree with one of the posters that suggested more overnight stays and fewer ports is an option that cruise lines should consider. This would allow cruisers to have an opportunity to experience some island night life. Due do security and safety this would have to be a selected group of islands.

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Still love the Caribbean

Hi we still love the Caribbean of the 66 cruises we have taken .witch 50 have been to the Caribbean !! We will never get tried of it . I just got off the Empress of the seas doing an 11 day S.caribbean cruise Solo for the first time what a deal i got with nonstop air from Newark in the winter time it was $1200 for everything .That"s just over $100 per day !!The ship wasn"t full witch made the cruise even better .Having sail on this ship before .It could get very crowed !! But there was only 1500 on this cruise .She holds 2050 when full !!We really don"t go for the ports more for the best beachs in the world !!! We are not site see"ers just sun & fun people !! We been all over the world on cruises .But still fine the Caribbean the best !! We go now more for the new ships .We like trying new one's each time out . I also kinda think Bermuda is a part of the Caribbean .We been there about 10 times on cruise and love that place !! I'm not thinking of a Med cruise in mid winter here in the North East !! I like being on a plane and to the ship in 2 to 3 hours !! And waving San Juan good By !! We prefer A cruise to an island stay witch we have don .I think you meet people more on a cruise thien staying on the island .I just did 8 ports in 11 day"s where it was in the upper 80"s and about 15 back home !!To each his own .We will be on the new Liberty of the seas in august 25th W.Caribbean and the Explorer of the seas out of NJ 2/24/08 .

Mr Veendam