Knockoffs - do you or don't you?

Sunshine91

At a local craft fair this weekend was a vendor selling handbags. She had what I assumed were Coach knock-offs - how could they possibly be the real thing? They weren't leather but rather the fabric type with the promient C all over the place. Rather sad looking bags actually, sitting on the table in their plastic bags. I didn't stop to look closely or to inquire about prices (or legitimacy).

I have a Coach bag that I saved for & purchased at the store in St. Maarten last year. I adore it.

Now I'm not normally struck by labels or designers, but I do appreciate quality. And I will admit to liking certain "name" lines, but when I buy them, I want the real thing. How do I make sure I'm getting it? And for the best price?

What about the rest of you? Do you buy the real deal? Will you buy knockoffs, knowing they aren't the real thing, or do you think you're getting a fantastic price, something "too good to be true?"

Ironically, we were just talking about this subject at lunch yesterday.

Purse parties are very common here. Kate Spade, Coach, Gucci, Prada and D/B purses are all found here. More expensive the the straw markets in the Caribbean, but still most likely a knock off. All the purses are nice and if you saw by themselves, you would never know.

However, we were sitting at the mall eating lunch, and approximately 50% of the ladies walking had these "designer" purses. We said, oops, the Purse Party has saturated the market! Everybody knows it most likely a knock-off, but nobody seems to care....unless you are the one who spent the big bucks for the real stuff..and now everybody just assumes you too are carrying a knock-off also!

I just bought my daughter the cutest Kate Spade purse in Nassau last week! Knock off--you bet....cute---absolutely!

I won't buy "knock offs" as in something masquerading as the original. However, I will buy trendy clothes whose style might be based on a designer piece.

When it comes to clothes/shoes, I have no problem spending money for classics, but every now and then, I want to participate in a trend and don't want to spend the $$$ on a higher quality designer piece I may only wear for 1 or 2 seasons and in that instance, I'll go for the cheaper non-designer piece.

I personally like a well made bag, and would rather have a finely handcrafted no-name bag than a shabbily made branded knock-off. Most of the knock-offs I saw on my cruise were of rather poor quality, but I did see a few Coach and Kate Spades which looked pretty good. Probably because they're mostly fabric and not leather.

My friend bought a "Coach" bag at the straw market in Nassau and is convinced it's real, since it had all the tags attached and even a serial number. Since she only paid $50 for it, I think she's kidding herself.

Hmm.. Interesting.. When I go to Nassau in 2 weeks I plan on getting a knock-off. Not because I feel like being 'in', but I need a new purse and I do admire some of the styles of the fancy designers. However, being 16, and not having a job yet, worrying about car insurance, college, and cruise $$$, plus trying to get my dad to pay for me to do a great Leadership Workshop this summer, I wouldn't want to pay the $$$$$$ for a real bag I won't use that much.

I'm not going to parade it around as if it's a real thing, I know better. I hope someday to be able to perhaps afford a real one and buy ONE, not five or ten, but one nice real quality bag, until then I'm willing to settle for a nicely made imitation; one that is just that an imitation, and I won't deny it.

I just hope I'll find one I like, because there are very few even real designer bags I'd pay even the straw market price for.

THE FACTS

Knock offs are illegal.

They keep small american companies out of business.

They exploit sweatshop labor practices around the world.

The companies don't stop at handbags. They make electrical appliances too and put a knock-off safety tags on them. They blow up nicely and start house fires.

Here in NYC if you're caught buying one, it'll be confiscated.

In Europe if you're caught buying one, you'll be fined between $3000 - $6000. and possibly miss your ship while you're down at the police station sorting out paperwork.

MY OPINION

They make the wearer look like a wannabe who can't buy a purse by it's style. There are so many nice bags out there which are inexpensive and don't violate any copywright laws.

I won't buy "knock offs" as in something masquerading as the original. However, I will buy trendy clothes whose style might be based on a designer piece.

Of course, that's logical. It's how fashion evolves. One designer puts grommets around the pockets and uneven sleeve lengths....and before we know it, it's a trend.

Taking some elements and some directional style from a haute designer is how the system works and it's perfectly acceptable. It's about design influence. But it's not outright copying, it's trend.

I do as Jane suggested.

I have many of the real thing. Some were purchased many years ago--thankfully as they are astronomical now!! :( (LV, Gucci, Fendi)

And some like Coach or Dooney , I still will buy.

What I have noticed in addition to what Jane stated above: the copies are usually cheaply made. Unless you are seeing a great copy, they look like a copy by people who are used to the real thing--it's not hard to detect.

Again, there are still so many great bags out there, if I see one I love that isn't designer--so what? I buy it, if I can afford it!

THE FACTS

Knock offs are illegal.

They keep small american companies out of business.

They exploit sweatshop labor practices around the world.

The companies don't stop at handbags. They make electrical appliances too and put a knock-off safety tags on them. They blow up nicely and start house fires.

Here in NYC if you're caught buying one, it'll be confiscated.

In Europe if you're caught buying one, you'll be fined between $3000 - $6000. and possibly miss your ship while you're down at the police station sorting out paperwork.

MY OPINION

They make the wearer look like a wannabe who can't buy a purse by it's style. There are so many nice bags out there which are inexpensive and don't violate any copywright laws.

I totally agree. People purchasing knock offs are contribuiting to piracy and copy write violations. My hat is off to you.

I won't buy a purse because of it's name- whether it's fake or real. That's just not my "thing". I look for quality at a reasonable price for trendy bags and am willing to spend more for an all purpose purse that I know will give me years of use.

I'm personally not into the fake hand bag scene, a lot of these bags are made by child labor, in many cases under horrid conditions... I have strong moral objections, I don't think any purse is worth that. The counterfiet market is a very violant, bloody industry. Buying a fake purse only supports this illegal industry.

i know that not everyone can afford a designer bag, i have a couple which i saved forever for. Wouldnt you rather get a cheap "inspired" bag from H&M or something like that rather than something which is obviously fake? TJ maxx sale racks sometimes have cheap dooneys, coach outlets have great bargains, etc etc.

anybody who knows about bags will be able to tell your carrying a fake anyway so it seems a bit pointless if you ask me.

I only carry the real thing...have been a Coach fan for about 12 years and have found the craftmanship to be superior and the styles to be fun and versatile. I usually limit myself to 2 bags a year in order to be able to have what I want and spend a larger amount of money.

The thing about owning a real Coach is that once you smell the leather, touch the fabric, look at the stitching detail closely you can never be fooled or ever desire a knockoff again.

You can also find Coach at a discount at their outlet stores and at places like Nordstrom Rack occasionally. I also deal with one EBay seller who ONLY sells the real thing. Her ebay name is Maerim and everything I have got from her is 100% authentic.

A:D

I won't buy a purse because of it's name- whether it's fake or real. That's just not my "thing". I look for quality at a reasonable price for trendy bags and am willing to spend more for an all purpose purse that I know will give me years of use.

Me too. First and foremost, it's quality.

Also, real designer bags are an investment, especially the more classic ones. Case in point, I own the Louis Vuitton large St. Jacques Epi leather handbag which is as nice as the day I bought it 6 years ago (and I use it a lot). I paid $900. for it and LV kept producing that bag until last year. By that time, the price had reached $1200. (+ local tax). I have now seen people selling their used St. Jacques bags on Ebay for $600.

So, it's nice to know that IF I wanted to sell mine, I could recoup $600. of my $900. investment, therefore only paying $300. for 6 years use of a designer bag.

It's such a classic that, who knows, maybe in 20 years I could sell it for over $1000 as "vintage LV"??? :)

My opinion is, if you like something, buy it. I don't do knock offs because the names don't mean that much to me or impress me. I do tend to like Coach and have a couple. My favorite is a plain black leather that unless you get close enough to see the lable, it doesn't scream "Coach". Point is, I don't lust after Coach enough to buy a knock off. Part of the reason I like Coach so much is I find the quality to be high.

Ok, I'll admit it....I'm a handbag snob! I really like Coach and have 3 purses and a tote and assorted small items. I agree with Oceanal about the smell and feel of a real Coach bag. I could never buy a Coach knock off. I'm with those that would rather save up and pay more for the real deal. I'm also not into trendy, so my Coach bags are more classic and will be in style for many years.

I don't usually cruise in the Caribbean, so when I was in Belize in January with the girlfriends I was surprised/amused at the quantity of knock off handbags. I will admit to shelling out $$$ for three little "Burberry" nesting coin purses just because they were cute.

Amen to every word Jane110 said.

If I couldn't afford real designer bags, I'd much rather have one well made, yet reasonably priced, department store handbag than ten fakes!

I happen to love Coach, but like Smitty24 I go for the classic models, not the trendy ones. Those are the ones that get copied often. The Coach outlet here in SJ has great finds! :)

One of my coworkers is always horrified that I buy (in her view) expensive handbags, yet she buys $15 "pleather" ones that keep breaking apart after a few months. I've tried to tell her that with what she spends in one year on those cheapies she can get a real leather bag that will last her more than 3 months (and look way better in the process!), but noooo, she won't listen to my wisdom :rolleyes: :D .

No, I don't buy knockoffs, I also find it hard to understand why people want these. They are obviously fake, even I can tell many of them apart from from the real thing at a distance.

There is nothing wrong with buying a bag at a department store, or a discount store, that costs less than $100-200. There are designers for every cost level. I'd rather see that than a phoney looking knockoff any day.

Once in a great while, I'll find a designer bag at tremendous discount. I have only one Coach bag, I paid ony $75 for it at Nordstrom Rack, it was what they called "reconditioned", yet I could not find anything wrong with it. Probably because it was returned and fixed, they could not sell it for full price.

I have never been to St. Maarten or St. Thomas (going this December) and everyone says that's the place to buy anything...so, are ALL the handbags there knockoffs? I dont' want to buy a knockoff (for the aforementioned reasons and more) ...how will I know if I'm buying from a legitimate source?

Do they have the actual stores (i.e. Coach, Gucci) or is it only street vendors? I'm guessing both places are similiar to Grand Cayman with the stores....:confused:

I have never been to St. Maarten or St. Thomas (going this December) and everyone says that's the place to buy anything...so, are ALL the handbags there knockoffs? I dont' want to buy a knockoff (for the aforementioned reasons and more) ...how will I know if I'm buying from a legitimate source?

Do they have the actual stores (i.e. Coach, Gucci) or is it only street vendors? I'm guessing both places are similiar to Grand Cayman with the stores....:confused:

as far as i am aware, ALL the handbags are knockoffs, everysingle one that can be bought on the side of a street, in shops, in boutiques etc. Look up brands, certain brands ONLY have their bags in certain stores... for example, you cant buy chanel or LV at your local boutique, only in certain stores, they are limited. These days the tags can be faked, the shopping bags can be faked... please dont think that because something has a "gucci" tag and registration number that it is real, they fake registration numbers all the time these days and DEFINETLY do not believe anyone if you are buying on the side of a street, coach/chanel/gucci would not sell the merchendise that way.

As for if they have actual stores selling these bags, i havent a clue. If you want something "real" then only buy in the brand name stores, just to be sure, is it worth loosing out? Sometimes if they are "good" fakes, meaning they have a (fake) registration number etc, they charge near normal prices which makes it seem real, but they are not actually real, just exceptional fakes (illegal still).

I can tell an excellent fake a mile off just because i have worked in the industry before so please be careful. Be very very warey. I'd hate to see someone shead out lots of money for an fake, you might as well get a excellent made local bag instead..

sorry for rambling! but hope it helps a little,

In St Thomas (and maybe St Maarten) there are Coach shops. They are physically inside of Tiffany stores. They are the real deal, but I don't know if the prices are great or not. I was told that there was a Louis Vuitton in St. Maarten, but have never seen it. There are also Longchamp stores all around the Caribbean. The prices are about 15% lower than in the states. However, the best place to buy Longchamp is in Marigot on the French side of St Maarten. Their prices are excellent because they are French. If you insist on the best of the best, then get an excursion over to St Barths while you are in St. Maarten. They have Gucci, LV, Dior, among others. They do not sell Chanel anywhere in the Caribbean with the exception of sunglasses and fragrances. The prices on St Barths are full retail and priced in Euro. I purhcased a LV in St. Barths bag a few years ago and use it quite a bit. Like Jane stated earlier, it takes a real beating and still looks new.

I bought a Coach bag for the fall and was surprised to see the "Made in China" tag in it. I bought it at Nordstrom and know that it is real. Just surprised to see that it was made overseas. Also, my new Cole Haan bag is made in China. Maybe that's how they keep these mid-level brands within reach of more consumers.

--Judy

There is nothing wrong with buying a bag at a department store, or a discount store, that costs less than $100-200. There are designers for every cost level. I'd rather see that than a phoney looking knockoff any day.

Agree 100%.

I have a business associate, in Texas who owns a small accessory and handbag company. She started the company 10 years ago and has a good business. She creates and produces everything in her own warehouse in Dallas and employs about 20 - 25 people.

She makes really nice handbags that retail for between $35- $75 that are adorable in great colors and have all the details women want - cellphone holder, good zippers, the right length handle, nice detailing etc - she puts a lot of thought into them.

If I were buying a $40. handbag I'd much rather have one of her originals than a cheap knock-off. I do have one of her bags and use it for travel. It's great looking.

Me too. First and foremost, it's quality.

Also, real designer bags are an investment, especially the more classic ones. Case in point, I own the Louis Vuitton large St. Jacques Epi leather handbag which is as nice as the day I bought it 6 years ago (and I use it a lot). I paid $900. for it and LV kept producing that bag until last year. By that time, the price had reached $1200. (+ local tax). I have now seen people selling their used St. Jacques bags on Ebay for $600.

So, it's nice to know that IF I wanted to sell mine, I could recoup $600. of my $900. investment, therefore only paying $300. for 6 years use of a designer bag.

It's such a classic that, who knows, maybe in 20 years I could sell it for over $1000 as "vintage LV"??? :)

I like the way you think Jane. Now too bad I already filed our corporate returns. I'm thinking purses can be amortized. :D

But seriously, what a great investment piece whether you keep it or not.

How do you choose a bag and know it won't go out of style- that it will obviously become a classic?

I work in the international security business, and based on extensive research by governments and security consultants worldwide, it has been conclusively noted that funds made from knock-off purses and other products contribute directly to terrorism. In other words, terrorism groups use front companies to operate the factories that manufacture the knock-off purses, and money made from the sale of those purses go back to the terrorism organizations. Which is why the FBI has also become heavily involved in raiding those knock-off stores on Canal Street in NYC since 9/11, among others.

As such, the issue of replica purses these days do not center around just patent and trademark issues anymore. There are more serious issues at hand. In the DC area recently, law enforcement arrested members of a family that hosted various "purse parties" and are now reportedly trying to determine whether the family may have any indirect links with terrorist organizations.

Linda

I work in the international security business, and based on extensive research by governments and security consultants worldwide, it has been conclusively noted that funds made from knock-off purses and other products contribute directly to terrorism. In other words, terrorism groups use front companies to operate the factories that manufacture the knock-off purses, and money made from the sale of those purses go back to the terrorism organizations. Which is why the FBI has also become heavily involved in raiding those knock-off stores on Canal Street in NYC since 9/11, among others.

As such, the issue of replica purses these days do not center around just patent and trademark issues anymore. There are more serious issues at hand. In the DC area recently, law enforcement arrested members of a family that hosted various "purse parties" and are now reportedly trying to determine whether the family may have any indirect links with terrorist organizations.

Linda

thanks for posting that... i knew the majority of it already but its nice for someone in the "know" to say so. I dont think people realise what they are funding when they buy fakes.

I look for quality, style, and what fits my needs/wants. For my budget, I usually wind up with Fossil or Stone Mountain, and I absolutely love it when I find a bag that meets my criteria AND I get it for a great price.

I work with a bunch of Brighton fanatics. Their (Brighton) styles don't fit my tastes at all, and most of their bags are heavy before you put anything into them - which is a huge no-no in my book!

Archived