Don't Leave Home Without It (your TV, that is!)

LauraS

Your Picks for Onboard TV Channels  

913 members have voted

1. 1. Your Picks for Onboard TV Channels

• The Cartoon Network
    • Discovery Channel
    • The Food Network
    • Nickleodeon
    • The History Channel
    • The Learning Channel (TLC)
    • MTV/VH1
    • Turner Classic Movies
    • Bravo
    • QVC
    • Other ...please POST REPLY below with your choice

• Administrators

Something New: Seamobile's Wave Entertainment System!

Assuming that the inclusion of networks like CNN, Fox (and Fox News), ESPN and the majors -- CBS, ABC and NBC -- are offered on your hypothetically new Wave Entertainment TV system onboard, what other networks offer must-see-tv during your vacation. And if your faves aren’t represented below -- reply with your picks here.

• Administrators

I love HGTV and HBO too :)

Can't miss my "househunters" or "Entourage" either!

Laura

I am a television addict, and for this poll chose Discovery Channel (yum, to have Mike Rowe "on vacation" with me!!) but the truth is, on a cruise I don't watch tv. I'll read a book out on the balcony or on deck when I want amusement. Most stuff get rebroadcast anyway, so I don't worry about missing things. More important for me to get away and enjoy vacation.....

I'm afraid I'm way too addicted to TV.:o Assuming we'd already have all the sports, I voted for Bravo, in case Project Runway is on, but I'd also like HGTV for Househunters, and BBC America (if I'm going to watch old sitcoms, I like the British ones:) ).

Hey, you can watch TV at home. No need to pay $1000/person to watch TV while on a cruise. When I worked in the hotel industry, we'd often get complaints of TV's being on too loud and the places I worked at still had real walls. Can you imagine what'll happen with those thin walls on a cruise?

That said, if this must come to pass:

The Travel Channel - duh...

Fox News (so that we can see the real news)

CNN (so that we can see the slanted version - ha ha)

CNN Headlines (just so that I can continue waking up with Robin - hey, what can I say, I'm a faithful guy!) :D

CNN en español (because there's tons of Spanish speaking cruisers nowadays)

BBC

It would be nice to have a channel that shows only good documentaries of the ports one is visiting. None of those "shopping" oriented ones or paid for by the excursion people or even the local travel boards, but the ones that truly give a deep insight into the ports. PBS like stuff, which would really go into deep details of the history, culture, geography, plant & animal life, music, foods and current politics of each port area. Again, this should be available in several languages.

However, again, I think TV should be minimized on vacation. We watch too much as it is...

For the most part I don't need TV while I am cruising, but it would be nice to have CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation).

One channel out of forty (2.5% of the bandwidth) shouldn't be a problem as I would bet that on most cruises Canadians represent far in excess of 2.5% of the cruise passengers.

My Canadian two cents.

Bodger

It would be really nice if they could get live feeds from the main network stations such as Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC so that we wouldn't miss our favorites like American Idol, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, and Apprentice.

No I don't go on a cruise to sit in my room and watch TV but for late at night and in the morning it is nice to watch. Also like before dinner it would be nice to be able to watch some of the shows.

I don't think the Networks would ever allow this though. I think there are so many rules regarding the advertising that they couldn't broadcast the shows live to cruise ships.

Now what would REALLY be cool is if this system offered on demand programming. This would be ideal for cruise ships because they could "download" new shows every week when they return to their homeport. Then cruisers could watch shows on demand whenever they wanted and they would always have a fresh selection to choose from.

Espn and the Golf Channel. Also have a DVR so we could record what we want during the day and watch it when we can't sleep at night.

American ESPN, can't stand soccer on all day every day. No flames from the soccer fans, just my opinion.

The Travel Channel (when it's not showing poker!)

Boy isn't that the truth. I truly love the Travel Channel but heck half of the time it is that dang poker.:D I am also a lover of The Food Network and HGTV.

Marilyn

I loved your email and so agree. I hate to miss my shows but on the other hand that's what TIVO is for, LOL.

But I really do love to watch the news with breakfast. And I was on Carnival Liberty and one morning I'd gone up to the pool deck for the buffet and CNN was playing on the big movie screen. It felt wonderful!

Carolyn

It would be really nice if they could get live feeds from the main network stations such as Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC so that we wouldn't miss our favorites like American Idol, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, and Apprentice.

No I don't go on a cruise to sit in my room and watch TV but for late at night and in the morning it is nice to watch. Also like before dinner it would be nice to be able to watch some of the shows.

I don't think the Networks would ever allow this though. I think there are so many rules regarding the advertising that they couldn't broadcast the shows live to cruise ships.

Now what would REALLY be cool is if this system offered on demand programming. This would be ideal for cruise ships because they could "download" new shows every week when they return to their homeport. Then cruisers could watch shows on demand whenever they wanted and they would always have a fresh selection to choose from.

Archived