Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default Need some Cruise Critic Honest Advice

Okay. I was booked with my family for the May 26th cancelled cruise on the Dawn. We had a garden villa book and were so very excited about the cruise. But...everything happens for a reason. Here's my question for all of you.

I spoke with my NCL cruise consultant and we can rebook for the July 21 cruise in the garden villa. Same itinerary and passengers. Unfortunately, the rates have gone up - significantly since I booked and now the same cruise is $8K higher. Even with the 25% cruise credit it's still going to cost me more money.

I believe I should be allowed to just rebook the July 21 cruise at my original booking fare for my now cancelled cruise plus get the 25% credit they are offering for the cancelled cruisers. Doesn't look like that is likely to happen though. Am I being unreasonable. Should I fight for this? What has your experience been?

I really do appreciate your help.

Carol
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default May 26 Cancelled Cruise - Need Some Advice

Okay. I was booked with my family for the May 26th cancelled cruise on the Dawn. We had a garden villa booked and were so very excited about the cruise. But...everything happens for a reason. Here's my question for all of you.

I spoke with my NCL cruise consultant and we can rebook for the July 21 cruise in the garden villa. Same itinerary and passengers. Unfortunately, the rates have gone up - significantly since I booked and now the same cruise is $8K higher. Even with the 25% cruise credit it's still going to cost me more money.

I believe I should be allowed to just rebook the July 21 cruise at my original booking fare for my now cancelled cruise plus get the 25% credit they are offering for the cancelled cruisers. Doesn't look like that is likely to happen though. Otherwise, I basically receive no compensation for my troubles. Am I being unreasonable? Should I fight for this? What has your experience been?

I really do appreciate your help.

Carol
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Markandrews Markandrews is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Naples, FL, USA
Posts: 687
Default

Carol,

I think if you are persistent but pleasant you will get it. If you demand it they will probably turn you down. The Villa's dont always sell anyway. Good luck to you!!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
nyyleeroy nyyleeroy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Orange NJ
Posts: 53
Default

I'd fight for it, but it doesn't sound like NCL is being very accommodating in terms of those of us now left vacation-less.

The fact that they canceled only 2 months before we were to leave, I was hoping they'd be a little more cooperative than they're being (at least in the early stages of this mess).
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Bunie2's Avatar
Bunie2 Bunie2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 44
Default I would try

As Markandrews said be nice about it and try. If they won't budge, hint at going to another cruise line.
Good luck to you!
__________________
Aruba 4/2000
Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean 4/2001
Dominican Republic 7/2001
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 4/2002
Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean 4/2004
Pride of Aloha Hawaii 4/2005
Pride of Aloha Hawaii 4/2007
Adventure of the Seas 4/2008
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default

It seems to me that my argument could be that I could take my refund and use that money to book a cruise elsewhere (which is a pretty good sum of money) and then use my cruise credit (around $5K) to book a 2 person cruise for my husband and me. It seems like this is the only way I could come out ahead in the deal. But it doesn't seem to be logical for Norwegian to take that position does it? Maybe I'm missing something.

In any event, I certainly don't plan on going psycho. If they hear me fine. If not, then I have to make a decision.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
chesquinn's Avatar
chesquinn chesquinn is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cheshire, Ct
Posts: 687
Default

We are in the same situation we are now booked on the Spirit but the 25% credit does not cover the price increase.I have talked to my PCC at NCL and told her the price of the Spirit should be what it was when I booked the Dawn.She has no control of prices she will get back to me on Tuesday with final cost.The 6/2 Spirit is now getting booked fast.
__________________
Dawn 8/31/03 Florida/ Bahamas 7 Days
Legend 5/15/04 Eastern Caribbean 8 Days
Dawn 10/24/04 Florida/Bahamas 7 Days
Dawn 3/26/06 Western Caribbean 11 Days
Spirit 11/9/06 Southern Caribbean 10 Days
Crown Princess 5/30/07 Eastern Caribbean 9 Days
Gem 2/6/08 Southern Caribbean 10 Days
Gem 1/4/09 Southern Caribbean 10 Days
Dawn 10/25/09 Bermuda 7 Days
Miracle 4/21/10 Grand Turk,H.M.C.,Nassau 8 Days
Jewel 3/27/11 Florida/Bahamas 7 Days
Miracle 5/6/12 Eastern Caribbean 8 Days Breakaway 9/7/14 Bermuda. 7 days. Gem. 11/15/14 Florida / Bahamas 7 days
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Host Cecilia's Avatar
Host Cecilia Host Cecilia is offline
Cruise Critic Host
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol54 View Post
It seems to me that my argument could be that I could take my refund and use that money to book a cruise elsewhere (which is a pretty good sum of money) and then use my cruise credit (around $5K) to book a 2 person cruise for my husband and me. It seems like this is the only way I could come out ahead in the deal. But it doesn't seem to be logical for Norwegian to take that position does it? Maybe I'm missing something.
I understand what you want and it doesn't seem unreasonable but I don't believe you'll get any lower price. If they can sell a space for more, why would they give it to you for a lower rate even taking into account that you were canceled. Again, I think NCL should rebook you at the same rate but I don't think they will.

Four days before Christmas we had a huge blizzard that closed the Denver airport for days. My flight leaving on 12/23 for vacation was canceled and United offered to give a full refund or let us rebook with no change fees but we'd have to pay the difference for the new fare. That's not fair. I had a super cheap ticket for the time I wanted to travel but I was canceled and had to go three weeks later. The fare was twice as much and I missed Christmas with family. Unfortunately for me and now for you, we were victims of pricing that adjusts all the time and we got the short end of the stick. I'm sure NCL believes that they're fulfilling their obligation to you by offering the full refund and they don't owe you anything other than that.

It doesn't hurt to ask for the same fare but I'd be really surprised if you got it. I also don't think telling them you'll cruise with someone else will make a difference. Whatever happens, I hope you have a good vacation.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
shoreguy shoreguy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol54 View Post
It seems to me that my argument could be that I could take my refund and use that money to book a cruise elsewhere (which is a pretty good sum of money) and then use my cruise credit (around $5K) to book a 2 person cruise for my husband and me. It seems like this is the only way I could come out ahead in the deal. But it doesn't seem to be logical for Norwegian to take that position does it? Maybe I'm missing something.

In any event, I certainly don't plan on going psycho. If they hear me fine. If not, then I have to make a decision.
I think your position is reasonable - with a little pleasant persistence you should get the replacement cruise at the same price. At a minimum with the credit it should never cost you more. My view you should be able to do the July cruise and still have the 5K for a cruise for 2.

Keep in mind the reps on the phone will not be in a position to make this happen get to someone empowered as fast as possible.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
billeelou's Avatar
billeelou billeelou is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: texas
Posts: 306
Default imho

book elsewhere, take their 5g's and go later the 2 of you......
__________________


NCL Sun 10-05 West Caribe/Huricane Wilma
Grand Princess 1-06 Western Caribe
Carnival Valor 10-06 Eastern Caribe
NCL Dream 2-07 Western Caribe
NCL Star 9-08 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Magic 3-12



wherever you go, there you are!!!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default

I really do appreciate all the solid honest advice you have given me. I'll be sure to let you know how it all turns out.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Iwantmyvacation Iwantmyvacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Cecilia View Post
Four days before Christmas we had a huge blizzard that closed the Denver airport for days. My flight leaving on 12/23 for vacation was canceled and United offered to give a full refund or let us rebook with no change fees but we'd have to pay the difference for the new fare. That's not fair. I had a super cheap ticket for the time I wanted to travel but I was canceled and had to go three weeks later. The fare was twice as much and I missed Christmas with family. Unfortunately for me and now for you, we were victims of pricing that adjusts all the time and we got the short end of the stick. I'm sure NCL believes that they're fulfilling their obligation to you by offering the full refund and they don't owe you anything other than that. .
Here is the difference, the example above is a weather related delay, airlines do nothing for that, they don't control the weather. HOWEVER, if the United flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem with a United plane you would have been re-booked at no cost to you.

NCL situation = mechanical problem with their boat
United situation = weather problem with earth's weather
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM
roto2241 roto2241 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Belleville, NJ
Posts: 45
Default

Get to someone higher up
Customer relations at 1 866 625 1164 or media relations 1 305 436 4713
GOOD LUCK
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Host Cecilia's Avatar
Host Cecilia Host Cecilia is offline
Cruise Critic Host
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantmyvacation View Post
Here is the difference, the example above is a weather related delay, airlines do nothing for that, they don't control the weather. HOWEVER, if the United flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem with a United plane you would have been re-booked at no cost to you.

NCL situation = mechanical problem with their boat
United situation = weather problem with earth's weather
Oh...well, I still felt stiffed by United and was miffed that I had to pay more after being canceled.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto2241 View Post
Get to someone higher up
Customer relations at 1 866 625 1164 or media relations 1 305 436 4713
GOOD LUCK
Thank you Roto. I appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Ella2's Avatar
Ella2 Ella2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,760
Default

Carol, I agree with everyone else...your position is VERY reasonable, and you most definitely will have to escalate this several levels to get anyone at NCL who will even be willing to listen to you. Be polite but persistent.

Good luck to you...I hope NCL isn't short-sighted and realizes that keeping a garden villa customer happy makes GOOD business sense.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
songanddance songanddance is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,629
Default

I think that they should give you a totally free cruise any time you want it even if it means bumping someone else out of the space you had reserved. Afterall they are a great big nasty corporation and what right did they have fixing their ship when you had a cruise booked. They could just as easily have done it during the day time when you were at some port somewhere. It just isn't fair that you should be inconveneinced because their ship had an engine problem. They should have simply run it until it wouln't go any further and if that happened in the middle of the ocean in the middle of a bad storm then that would be a shame but they could send out a tug to tow it into port.

I would suggest that you happily accept the 25% discount.If you read the contract they owe you nothing beyond a refund of fare paid and move on. Life is rarely fair but I would rather they try to repair the ship than keep it limping week after week after week.

But that is just my opnion.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:05 PM
gregandamy's Avatar
gregandamy gregandamy is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Middletown, NY
Posts: 3,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol54 View Post
It seems to me that my argument could be that I could take my refund and use that money to book a cruise elsewhere (which is a pretty good sum of money) and then use my cruise credit (around $5K) to book a 2 person cruise for my husband and me. It seems like this is the only way I could come out ahead in the deal. But it doesn't seem to be logical for Norwegian to take that position does it? Maybe I'm missing something.

In any event, I certainly don't plan on going psycho. If they hear me fine. If not, then I have to make a decision.
Are they giving you a 25% cruise credit (as in a discount of 25%) or are they giving you a voucher worth 25% of what you paid for the cancelled cruise (your $5,000 figure)? Did someone verify this to you? I'm just trying to understand what the deal is.
__________________
Next up:

NCL Breakaway to Bermuda 8/10/14
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:46 AM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandamy View Post
Are they giving you a 25% cruise credit (as in a discount of 25%) or are they giving you a voucher worth 25% of what you paid for the cancelled cruise (your $5,000 figure)? Did someone verify this to you? I'm just trying to understand what the deal is.
It's a 25% off credit based on what I paid "for the voyage portion only" of the cancelled cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:48 AM
carol54 carol54 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by songanddance View Post
I think that they should give you a totally free cruise any time you want it even if it means bumping someone else out of the space you had reserved. Afterall they are a great big nasty corporation and what right did they have fixing their ship when you had a cruise booked. They could just as easily have done it during the day time when you were at some port somewhere. It just isn't fair that you should be inconveneinced because their ship had an engine problem. They should have simply run it until it wouln't go any further and if that happened in the middle of the ocean in the middle of a bad storm then that would be a shame but they could send out a tug to tow it into port.

I would suggest that you happily accept the 25% discount.If you read the contract they owe you nothing beyond a refund of fare paid and move on. Life is rarely fair but I would rather they try to repair the ship than keep it limping week after week after week.

I don't know where you came up with your reply. But it is totally uncalled for. I never suggested any such thing. I only suggested being treated failry. Not special or anything of the sort.


But that is just my opnion.
I don't know where your reply is coming from but you are obviously missing the point. I'm not asking to be treated special just fairly. But in the grand scheme of things - this really is not that important.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.