Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Bahamas
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Neals6 Neals6 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 154
Default Knock Off Purses

I remember reading about a shop in the bahamas that sell knock offs. can someone tell where it is located. Its been years since i have been to the bahamas maybe i need a refresher course The item i am refering to is pocketbooks.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
RYPERO RYPERO is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sacramento,CA,USA
Posts: 1,047
Default

We bought some fun ones in the straw market in Nassau. They had them all Gucci, Prada etc. They make great gifts as long as you tell people what they are
__________________
Carnival Imagination 1/30/14,Carnival Breeze 5/25/13, Carnival Magic 4/8/12, Carnival Conquest 1/2/11, NCL Star 12/26/09, Carnival Elation 12/4/08, Carnival Spirit 8/13/08, Coral Princess 5/10/08, Carnival Elation 12/6/07,RCCL Splendour of thes Seas 10/15/06,Carnival Liberty 4/1/06,Carnival Pride 12/18/05,NCL Spirit 10/21/05,NCL Spirit 10/15/05,Diamond Princess 12/04/04,Carnival Pride 2/08/04,Carnival Pride 2/03,Inspiration 1/02,Ecstasy 5/01
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Wadadli1 Wadadli1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 3,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neals6 View Post
I remember reading about a shop in the bahamas that sell knock offs. can someone tell where it is located. Its been years since i have been to the bahamas maybe i need a refresher course The item i am refering to is pocketbooks.
There is an informative message thread about them on the Fashion Board. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519009

BTW, did you know they are illegal? And for several very good reasons?
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM
purr_30's Avatar
purr_30 purr_30 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 3,909
Default

Thanks for posting the link. I was wondering about the same thing.

WOO HOO, KNock offs here I come.
__________________
O-M-G no cruise booked.....yet...

“I got my toes in the water, a$$ in the sand, not a worry in the world…..a cold beer in my hand”

Previous Cruises

Sept 26 2010- Hal Oosterdam- 1 night Seattle to Vancouver with the Taylors!


Jan 14, 2010- "The good ( her) and the bad cruise (me) together for the FIRST time"
10 Night RCCL Explorer of the Seas- 2 x sea days, San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, 3 x sea days.

April 26, 2009 RCCL- 13 night Explorer of the seas- Sea days x2, San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua, St Kitts;
Sea days x3= SLEEP

Celebrity Summit- Jan 3, 2009- San Juan, St Maarten, Roseau Dominica, Grenada, Tobago & Barbados.

Carnival Victory- October 26-2008- Miami, Grand Turk, DR, Tortola, St Kitts, St Maarten & San Juan

Carnival Triumph- January 19- 2008. Exotic Eastern Caribbean and back to HMC - Miami, HMC, Nassau, St Thomas, Tortola, Miami

Holland America Westerdam Exotic Eastern Caribbean Oct 15-2006 - Ft Lauderdale, HMC, St Maarten, Tortola, Grand Turk, Ft Lauderdale

Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Jan 15 2006- Ft. Freeport, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM
shebring02lx's Avatar
shebring02lx shebring02lx is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kings Bay, GA.
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadadli1 View Post
There is an informative message thread about them on the Fashion Board. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519009

BTW, did you know they are illegal? And for several very good reasons?
I agree with you.... about the several good reason.
However, I happen to find the quality of knock offs pretty poor.
I am not rich, however, I would be ashamed to walk around with a knock off
I have two REAL Coach purses and I love them. There is no way to duplicate the authenticity of a real one. So why throw away money on a cheap replica when you can save up a bit more longer and get the real deal. It has a much bigger pay off in the end.
Just my 2 cents!
__________________
"[♥] Wouldn't take much for me to up and run, to another life, somewhere in the sun [♥]"

"[♥] I'm french kissing life square in the mouth,
Sailing out on the sea. [♥]"


Past Cruises:

November 2006 - CCL Sensation
Nassau, Bahamas

November 2007 - CLL Fascination
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

January 2008 - CCL Sensation
Freeport, Bahamas & Nassau, Bahamas

September 2008 - CCL Imagination
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

April 2009 - Celebrity Century - Honeymoon
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico

March 13, 2010 - Carnival Liberty
Cozumel, Mexico : Georgetown, Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios, Jamaica


May 2, 2010 - Carnival Glory - 2nd Honeymoon
Cozumel, Mexico: Belize City, Belize: Isla Roatan, Honduras & Grand Cayman

March 29, 2012 - Celebrity Millennium - Traveling with my 6 mo old daughter
Key West, Florida & Cozumel, Mexico


Future Cruises:


March 29, 2014 - Celebrity Reflection - San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten



Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:40 AM
caribbean dreams's Avatar
caribbean dreams caribbean dreams is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 11,681
Default

Someone told me that there is a real Coach store in Nassau, is this true or did they just assume the fakes they saw were real?
__________________
Life should have no other goal then to just find a pool bar and order a drink!
Unofficial Barstool safety & comfort control inspector

Inspiration X2
Imagination
Paradise
Conquest
Destiny
Valor X2
Elation X3
Liberty
Splendor
Spirit
Victory
Legend
Triumph
Glory
Magic
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:46 AM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebring02lx View Post
I agree with you.... about the several good reason.
However, I happen to find the quality of knock offs pretty poor.
I am not rich, however, I would be ashamed to walk around with a knock off
I have two REAL Coach purses and I love them. There is no way to duplicate the authenticity of a real one. So why throw away money on a cheap replica when you can save up a bit more longer and get the real deal. It has a much bigger pay off in the end.
Just my 2 cents!

My wife is the same way . She has a purse fetish that has gone beyond obsession. *LOL*

We go into NYC quite often , you can get knockoffs of purses, watches you name it on every street corner. Some of it is so so at best, most of it is crap. I wouldn't know fake from real, but my wife can spot a phoney a mile away, and she even says the fakes fall apart in no time and aren't even worth the bargain basement prices they are asking.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:46 AM
cruisinbuddy's Avatar
cruisinbuddy cruisinbuddy is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 4,250
Default

DW picked up 3 Pradas in Nassau, one for each DD and one for her. They're very nice quality and averaged $30.00 a piece. Dw went into one store, I forget which island, where they were selling Fendi purses, I'm sorry, $800.00 for a purse, not going to happen.
__________________
Cruisinbuddy
'99 Carousel
'01 Sunbird
'03 Disney Magic
'05 Golden Princess
'07 Carnival Liberty
'08,Crown Princess
'09, B2B on the Carnival Freedom
'11, Carnival Liberty
'14, 15 day Hawaii on the CCL Miracle
'16 10 day, Triumph
Is there anything better than cruising? I doubt it
It's only funny till someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.
There's no working during drinking hours!

Cruisinbuddy's title

Unofficial Bucket of Beer Drinker
Cruisinbuddy's DW's title

Unofficial Bucket of Beer Counter for Cruisinbuddy
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:54 AM
BND's Avatar
BND BND is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,175
Default

It is illegal in the states to sell them, not to buy them. I don't know about the Bahamas. I have a knock off Prada I bought in Vegas and it's not even close to looking like a real one. The knockoffs they sell in the islands are not the same styles that the designers make and are pretty easy to spot as fakes. I have a real Dooney & Bourke I recently bought and while not as expensives as a real Prada or Fendi, it's a nice purse which I bought for the style, not the name.

We saw people with armloads of purses coming back to the ship from the Straw Market on our last two cruises and you'd think they had the real thing as giddy as they were about their purchases. I'm not entirely sure that everyone knows they're knockoffs. I will not buy another one. There's lots of controversy over who is profiting from them.

I don't remember seeing a real Coach store in Nassau, but they sell designer everything else there so my guess is there is one. There is a purse forum online that discusses all things related to designer purses and authenticity. From what several people have reported, there are plenty of celebrities who also carry fakes, just as they wear fake jewelry. Most of the "real" designer purses you see celebs carrying were given to them.
__________________








Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005

Last edited by BND; March 31st, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Lefty888 Lefty888 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
Default

I think the real-deals and the knock-offs are ALL made in China anyway. The workers are paid pennies to make them and the companies make millions selling them!! IMO...
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:17 AM
vtoria98's Avatar
vtoria98 vtoria98 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 570
Default

There is a Coach store in Nassau, I wanted to go in but as it was early Sunda when we docked it was not open yet.
As for them all being made in china for pennies, that not entirely true, most are made in New York for pennies as well, yes we still have sweat shops here too. I bought a knock off in Nassau but i am not a person who cares about labels, I just happened to come across a bag I liked. It could have been here at TjMaxx or Target and I still would have bought it.
__________________


Carnival Paradise 6/13 Enchantment of the Seas 4/13 Carnival Liberty 4/13 Norwegian Dawn 2/13 Monarch of the Seas 12/12 Carnival Ecstasy 8/12 Monarch of the Seas 5/12 Monarch of the Seas 5/11 Monarch of the Seas 4/2011 Freedom of the Seas 12/2010 Bud Light Port Paradise III Radiance of the Seas 11/10 Monarch of the Seas 9/10 Monarch of the Seas 7/10 Grandeur of of the Seas 3-10 Monarch of the Seas 11-09 Carnival Sensation 9-09 Monarch of the Seas 7/09 Monarch of the Seas 6/09 Carnival Sensation 3-09 Carnival Sensation 11-08 Freedom of the Seas 10-08 Sovereign of the Seas 5-08 Sovereign of the Seas 1-08 Carnival Glory 9-07 Sovereign of the Seas 5-07 Sovereign of the Seas 3-07 Carnival Glory 10-06 Grandeur of the Seas 3-06 Carnival Inspiration 10-05
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:17 AM
BND's Avatar
BND BND is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty888 View Post
I think the real-deals and the knock-offs are ALL made in China anyway. The workers are paid pennies to make them and the companies make millions selling them!! IMO...
You think, you don't know for sure? Would you rather those people making "pennies" as you say not have jobs at all? Most of the places where manufacturing is done is because the cost of living is much, much lower and wages can be lower and still be much more than these people doing the work could make doing anything else. And most everything you own was manufactured outside the US by people paid less than here. Companies are in business to make money.

Either way, it is illegal to sell fakes and as long as people buy them there will be a demand. At least with the real thing you have a warranty for the workmanship and there is a demand for them also. That's why we in the US have such a high standard of living. We live in a capitalist, free market economy.
__________________








Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
You think, you don't know for sure? Would you rather those people making "pennies" as you say not have jobs at all? Most of the places where manufacturing is done is because the cost of living is much, much lower and wages can be lower and still be much more than these people doing the work could make doing anything else. And most everything you own was manufactured outside the US by people paid less than here. Companies are in business to make money.

Either way, it is illegal to sell fakes and as long as people buy them there will be a demand. At least with the real thing you have a warranty for the workmanship and there is a demand for them also. That's why we in the US have such a high standard of living. We live in a capitalist, free market economy.

Another side of the coin to consider on why American manufacturing companies flock to these overseas countries.

Yes like you mentioned , their standard of living is cheaper so they can pay less in wages. But also these companies don't have to deal with the BS in these countries that they have to here in America that also drives up costs of running a business.

An American company in some underdeveloped nation opens a plant hires a bunch of locals and says "you sit here from this time to this time x days a week and do this and on Friday you will get a check for X

End of the story,


They don't have to deal with

Unions (ya know what some of these grievance settlements cost? and many of them are nonsense)
Affirmative action
federal quotas
OSHA
Maternity leave
sick days
vacation days
family leave
Insurance

Oh I banged my toe and the doctor sent me to the orthopedist, who sent me to the therapist , who sent me to the nuerologist , who sent me to the other guy who wrote me a note that I have to be off for six months , and then when I come back I can only work half a day for the next six months. All the while getting my full pay. People in those countries cultures would never dream of pulling a fast one like so many in this country have mastered down to a way of life.

When I see the BS that goes on just where I work and what some of this frivolous nonsense costs. I can't totally blame some of these companies.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
bonniemari's Avatar
bonniemari bonniemari is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eads, TN
Posts: 2,841
Default

There is a Coach store in Nassau-it is downtown.

Where a lot of people have tons of shoes-I have tons of handbags. When we built our house I had a special closet built just for my purses. Even my hubby realizes I am obsessed. Last year when we went to Las Vegas for my birthday he went to the Coach store and bought me a real nice purse and suprised me with it. And he hates shopping so that was something for him.

I own several Coach handbags and if you want the real deal I suggest going to a Coach Factory Outlet. You can save 30-50% and get the real thing. You can find them at a lot of factory outlet malls (trust me I know this for a fact).
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
dforeigner's Avatar
dforeigner dforeigner is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
It is illegal in the states to sell them, not to buy them. I don't know about the Bahamas.

The problem is that by you bringing in a pirated brand item back into the US it means that you are importing the item. Under USC Title 19, this is illegal.

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles
CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/or seizure. Infringing articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.


Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture.The importation of articles intended for sale or public distribution bearing counterfeit marks may subject an individual to a civil fine if the registered trademark has also been recorded with CBP. Articles bearing marks that are confusingly similar to a CBP recorded registered trademark , and restricted gray market articles (goods bearing genuine marks not intended for U.S. importation for which CBP granted gray market protection) are subject to detention and seizure.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Kace Kace is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 120
Default Straw Market Knock-offs are Junk

I recently visited the Straw Market, and was amazed by what they were asking for really bad knock-offs (e.g., $100 for a bad LV knockoff duffel).

I wasn't interested, so don't know how much they would have discounted it after bargaining. But it's obviously counterfeit. Obviously illegal. Why even go down that road?
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:50 PM
vowsatsea's Avatar
vowsatsea vowsatsea is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,777
Default

I don't own any designer purses. However, if I were interested in owning one, I would just save up for the real deal. Just my two cents
__________________
Sabrina

Upcoming Cruises:


Past Cruises:
  • 07/2013 - Norwegian Breakaway
  • 05/2012 - Allure of the Seas
  • 08/2011 - Oasis of the Seas
  • 03/2011 - Norwegian Jewel
  • 06/2010 - Explorer of the Seas
  • 08/2009 - Carnival Triumph
  • 05/2009 - Caribbean Princess
  • 05/2008 - Caribbean Princess
  • 05/2007 - Carnival Miracle
  • 08/2003 - Grand Princess

"Sea-ing is Believing"
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Wadadli1 Wadadli1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 3,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebring02lx View Post
I agree with you.... about the several good reason.
However, I happen to find the quality of knock offs pretty poor.
I am not rich, however, I would be ashamed to walk around with a knock off
I have two REAL Coach purses and I love them. There is no way to duplicate the authenticity of a real one. So why throw away money on a cheap replica when you can save up a bit more longer and get the real deal. It has a much bigger pay off in the end.
Just my 2 cents!
Thank you. I realise anyone who is determined to buy a knock off handbag will still do so, but at the least they should be fully aware of what they are buying and the story behind it. And since I've heard that knock offs are obvious and aren't fooling anyone, I'm just restating your comment--and trying to get a point across.

If I may, I would suggest supporting the local economy by buying what they make themselves. I bought a straw hat in Dominica, because I had learned the local citizens make and sell them. Not as glamorous, of course, as a (fake) bag with an expensive name, but my hat was authentic and hand made. And legal, besides. My two cents. Thanks again.

Last edited by Wadadli1; March 31st, 2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Restating the obvious.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:00 PM
dyslexic pirate's Avatar
dyslexic pirate dyslexic pirate is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 556
Default

Well, here's a weird twist.

I have a really nice Gucci bag that's been sitting in my closet. I really haven't used it. Now I'm a little embarrassed to now because everyone I know is aware that I cruise and will think it's a cheap little knock off that I picked up in some market!
__________________
"....it's 5 o'clock somewhere!"

Princess Dec 2000 Mexican Riviera
RCCL Mariner of the Seas Feb 2004 West Carib.
NCL Dream Feb 2005 West Carib.
NCL Spirit Sept 2005 Alaska
Costa Med Jan 2006 West Carib.
NCL Pride of America Sept 2006
Carnival Pride Feb 2007 Mexican Riviera
NCL Star Alaska Sept 2008
Carnival Elation Feb 2009 Baja Mexico
NCL Star Mexican Riviera March 2009
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:50 PM
crazycruzer68 crazycruzer68 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,088
Default

I have several "real" Coach purses, I would never buy a fake Coach, simply because they want to much for the fakes, go to an outlet or to e-bay to get your Coaches. I did however buy a fake LV at a purse party, it seemed good quality and was right on with the stlye, I paid $80. new it sells for $1200. The more expensive ones go for a fake but Coach and D&B just go to e-bay.

There are plenty of knock offs there, friend bought a LV it fell apart in 2 weeks, daughters LV is going strong after 2 years. She doesn't carry everyday but has quite a bit.

There is a Coach store in Key West, didn't go in but heard it was like a factory store I think she said that they made them there.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.