need tips for bringing alcohol onto ship

deanaperry

Deanaperry, Before we left, I ordered a bottle of Absolute to be in the room for us.You can order liqueur in the gift section of your ship brochure or on the website.It cost only $20,alot cheaper than buying from the liqueur store.They have different liqueurs to chose from and it saves the hassle of trying to "smuggle" booze onboard.

Folks who choose to smuggle say they have the best success if they use plastic-- either buy liquor already in plastic bottles or transfer to an empty water bottle. Make sure it's closed securely , then wrap it in bubble wrap and put the whole thing in a zipper bag and place in your checked luggage. If it's in your carry-on, it will be confiscated. They throw the luggage around pretty good before it gets to you, and you don't need broken glass and ruined clothes in your suitcase!

I had a conversation on the subject with a very nice young lady at Princess this past Friday. The shops are all closed while the ship is in port and even if open you cannot buy a bottle and take out for consumption in your room BUT you can send yourself a gift and a card is left in your cabin which you redeem when the shop opens and you take the bottle away. Irrational ain't it. The young lady agreed it doesn't make sense.

I personally will send my BW a gift bottle and smuggle one on...

I have never had any line confiscate a bottle. Since they allow wine my suggestion is to decanter the booze into an empty wine bottle , recork and go for it.

My sail away remains confidential, who knows who reads this stuff

Good Luck, Chaz

Also, it is very simple to pick up the phone as room service will deliver it right to your cabin. If you ask, they will supply you with a liquor list with pricing. Most items for a liter are in the $20 range except for Jack Daniels which is $35.

If you forget to pre-order it is no big deal as it is a couple dollars cheaper ordering it from room service and that gives you the extra for the tip.

Although they do not have a store onboard where you can buy it and take it back to your cabin, this is so simple but most people don't realize it.

A friend went to one of the bars and bought a bottle and the price was quite a bit higher, so stick with the room service orders for in cabin consumption.

spongerob, exactly how do you pre-order? When I registered for cruise preferences it never gave an option to pre-order anything, tho I have heard about anniversary packages, sail away packages, etc. Do these options become available the closer to sailing?

DH is a scotch man ( as in beverage of choice) when sailing. He just loves those listerine bottles full of scotch - and the kids don't touch that stuff. On second thought I have seen an extra mouthwash bottle or two lately... SIGNED "ALWAYS BE ON YOUR TOES WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS"

There is an order form in the back of the Cruise Answer Book that you will receive with your pre-cruise package. You'll get that soon after you make your final payment. It should also be available on the Princess web site. I think it is a PDF form that you have to print and mail or fax in. Make sure you send it in more than 7 days in advance of your sailing date.

You can also use this form to send gifts to others taking a cruise. You have to provide the full name of the passenger and their cabin number. Don't use message board nicknames! That doesn't work too well. ;)

Don't use message board nicknames! That doesn't work too well.

So your saying the tray of 15 deluxe canapés including caviar, smoked salmon, prosciutto, pâté de foie, and shrimp we sent you on your last cruise never made it? :confused: :D

Steveo

Ps I think we were posting at the same time

Nope, it probably ended up with the champagne I tried to send to a message board friend whose board name I used for the last name. They didn't get it, obviously. Somewhere out there there's some inside cabin passenger with an odd last name who got a boat load full of great stuff and left their cruise thinking Princess must really, really love them!

Wine is ok to bring onboard. Liquor is not, even though chances are you won't have any problem. But why bother when you can have it sitting in your cabin waiting for you for less than you can smuggle it on???

Scott

Our experience recently has been if you bring alcohol on board at embarkation (rather than a port of call), there is no problem, whether they admit to this or not! BTW, we have shopped all over the Caribbean and San Juan has excellent liquor prices and the duty free shop is right when you get off the ship. If you are buying to take home, San Juan and St. Maarten has the best prices...

We just pack ours in our luggage...bottles in 2 gallon ziploc bags, wrapped in sweatshirts, packed in the center of our suitcase.

Unfortunately, Princess does not sell any brand of bourbon that I can tolerate..so I bring my own.

I also BUY plenty of drinks from the bars and bottles of wine with dinner every night.

When boarding the Golden at Pan Am Pier do you pass the duty free store before you check your luggage? We are taking a taxi from the airport and are unsure if we should stop enroute or wait until we get to the pier.

Also, do they sell Corona there? I understand it is not sold on the ship.:(

Thanks, David

I'm with CROWSIE..I like Old Charter(a kentucky bourbon) so i pack a plastic bottle in my luggage in a zip lock bag and cushioned with something soft...Never been a problem. Also in San Juan you can but a single bottle and just put it in your carry on, and take it on with you. I've been on 15 cruises and have never had mine taken from me....Dennis

We bought wine, beer, and vodka at the duty free shop at the pier when we sailed the Golden 6/19. We asked the clerk if we could take it on the ship and she said the wine and beer were okay, but put the vodka in my purse. We had no problems taking it on the ship. ;)

I'm with CROWSIE..I like Old Charter(a kentucky bourbon) so i pack a plastic bottle in my luggage in a zip lock bag and cushioned with something soft...Never been a problem. Also in San Juan you can but a single bottle and just put it in your carry on, and take it on with you. I've been on 15 cruises and have never had mine taken from me....Dennis

Haven't seen Old Charter in my neck of the woods..and given where you live I bet you know your bourbon :D

I drink Old Forrester (with a shot of sweet vermouth added!), but am always looking for other options.

One of the other reasons we pack our bourbon....have you ever tried to buy Kentucky bourbon in Asia or South America??? Not a chance of finding it in the bottle shops overseas!

What about walking onboard carrying a 30 Pack of beer? Will it be allowed?

Also - where do I bring up the #s and pricing for the wiskey. I found where to get the order form - just ordered an album for our granddaughter.

Thanks!

Judy

Has anyone actually walked on carrying a case of beer and a 12-pack of Pepsi?

We have Princess transfers but plan to check in, drop our carryon in our room then take a short tour of Pike's Market before the ship leaves. (I checked with Princess and they said we could leave the ship and then come back on before departure.)

Thought we would have the cab driver stop a at grocery store and pick up beer and Pepsi. Do you think they will allow it? Should we take a rolling duffle?

Thanks

Judy

Last week, we were on the Golden out of San Juan. After boarding, we went back to the duty-free shop in the terminal and bought 2 six-packs of Diet Coke to keep in our refrigerator (I know it's "free" on the ship, but I like it first thing in the morning.) and six bottles of wine. When we returned, we were asked about the bottles, which were in closed bags. We said they were wine, and they took our word for it without checking the bags. While in the duty-free store, we saw a crew member buy a six-pack on Heineken's and walk on with it. On Barbados, we bought my beloved Banks Beer and carried back on in the paper bag with no problems. Donia

• 4 months later...

Archived