Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default SEATAC to downtown Seattle options

We're flying into Seattle & have a hotel in downtown Seattle. What's the best or cheapest way to get from the airport to our downtown hotel?

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoozoo View Post
We're flying into Seattle & have a hotel in downtown Seattle. What's the best or cheapest way to get from the airport to our downtown hotel?

Just as in any large city, you have a number of options, from public transportation to shuttle services to taxi to limos. Here is a link from the Port of Seattle regarding transportation to/from the airport.

Old April 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Cab is likely your best. A shuttle may be cheaper, but also may take more time due to frequent stops.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

The absolutely cheapest way to go from Sea-Tac to downtown is to take a Metro bus, #174 or 194. The fare is $1.25 ($2.00 peak).

If that's scraping, assuming that you are spnding a night in Seattle and sailing out the next day, and that your downtown hotel does not charge you for parking, the next cheapest that I can think of for more than one person traveling together is to rent a car from Thrifty, and to drop it off on the sailing day at Pier 48 (within blocks from both cruise terminals). You should be able to do this for less than $30, all taxes and fees included.

Old April 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

The buses usually only take a half hour and are very cheap. We have been there twice and taken the bus both times downtown and would recommend that you do that if you don't plan to do any exploring outside of the downtown area.

Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean 4/12/14
Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean 10/26/14

Past Cruises

Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/29/12
Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean 10/24/10
Monarch of the Seas Bahamas 12/4/09
Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean 3/23/08
Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 11/23/07
Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean 3/24/07

Old April 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like the bus for us. We're staying downtown for one night then heading to Vancouver the next day by Quick Shuttle. We plan to visit Pikes Market & the Space Needle downtown. Thanks for the input.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

You can get more information on Seattle/King County's Metro Transit bus system here:

http://transit.metrokc.gov/

In my opinion, Seattle has one of the best public bus systems in the U.S. When I lived there, I hardly had to drive! And in December 2009, a light rail is supposed to open that connects Sea-Tac and downtown. That'll be great!

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Metro buses in Seattle

I live here and take the bus all the time. The bus from SeaTac is quick and cheap. However, make sure you know where the stops are in relation to your hotel. The trip planner link above even gives you maps so you can see

BTW: it's "Pike Place Market" not "Pikes Market"

Royal Caribbean Vision - June 8, 2007 - Alaska
Diamond Princess- June 11, 2005 - Alaska

Old April 21st, 2007, 08:10 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gardener View Post
I live here and take the bus all the time. The bus from SeaTac is quick and cheap. However, make sure you know where the stops are in relation to your hotel. The trip planner link above even gives you maps so you can see

BTW: it's "Pike Place Market" not "Pikes Market"
How about a bus from International Dr. by Seatac to Pier 66??? I've taken the "tunnel" bus and walked to Pikes Market, but isn't there a waterfront bus also that connects??

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
How about a bus from International Dr. by Seatac to Pier 66??? I've taken the "tunnel" bus and walked to Pikes Market, but isn't there a waterfront bus also that connects??
That would be a transfer in downtown. If you are somewhere along International Blvd near Sea-Tac, the bus to initially take is #174. This will take you downtown. Get off at 4th and Jackson (right by Int'l District). Transfer onto #99. The bus goes to Alaskan Way, which is the waterfront. You will eventually see Pier 66, and there is a stop right there. I hope this helps!

Old September 17th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

is this information up to date as of now?

Old September 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

No. The light rail runs from the airport to downtown. We had people in our group do this. Depending on where you are staying you can walk to your hotel once you reach the downtown stop on the light rail, get a cab, take a bus or take the monorail.

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/

You can also take a shuttle or there is a bus for $15 that goes to some of the hotels. graylineseattle.com

There are also shuttle companies.

Jen in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44bones View Post
is this information up to date as of now?

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Playing rich

Well, when we cruise we don't like to look for the "cheapest" way. We think it is a huge amount of fun to begin "playing rich" as soon as we arrive in Seattle. We have several times used Metropolitan Town Cars for the transfer. The airport transfer business is fiercely competitive in Seattle and prices are amazingly affordable! For two you can get a Town Car, for four or more you can get a stretch limo, and not pay much more per person than the super shuttle fare!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Well, when we cruise we don't like to look for the "cheapest" way. We think it is a huge amount of fun to begin "playing rich" as soon as we arrive in Seattle. We have several times used Metropolitan Town Cars for the transfer. The airport transfer business is fiercely competitive in Seattle and prices are amazingly affordable! For two you can get a Town Car, for four or more you can get a stretch limo, and not pay much more per person than the super shuttle fare!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

Have a GREAT cruise!
I must recommend Seattle Shuttle. Only $12 a person. And despite its name "shuttle", they actually sent a really nice Lincoln Town Car to come us up. Thank you forum for recommending them. I couldn't book them for coming back from pier to airport because my cellphone ran out of batteries, so we took a taxi and it was $45

Last edited by oceanfun77; September 17th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanfun77 View Post
I must recommend Seattle Shuttle. Only $12 a person. And despite its name "shuttle", they actually sent a really nice Lincoln Town Car to come us up. Thank you forum for recommending them. I couldn't book them for coming back from pier to airport because my cellphone ran out of batteries, so we took a taxi and it was $45
Well, $12 per person is $48 for a group of 4, so that would be no bargain. If you are only two then you save a little bit.

The price of having a limo driver standing there with your name on a sign is very little more than the amount you paid for a taxi.

Some people enjoy saving money. Some people enjoy convenience and luxury. YMMV.

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Light Rail

Hi,
My husband and I had the same question, and it seems that taking the light rail system is the best way to get from SeaTac to downtown.

We are arriving in Seattle this Thursday, Sept. 23, and this is our plan.

There is a light rail station at SeaTac. From what I understand from the Seattle Transit website, you can buy tickets at the station for $2.50 per person (cash, debit card, credit card). The ride to downtown is about 35 minutes and there are no transfers. The light rail train stops several times, but you don't have to get on another train or anything like that.

From what I've read the train stops at the SeaTac station regularly ... so you shouldn't have to wait long for the train.

We are staying at the Sheraton, and the Westlake (downtown) light rail station is a couple blocks from there.

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joymc84 View Post
Hi,
My husband and I had the same question, and it seems that taking the light rail system is the best way to get from SeaTac to downtown.

We are arriving in Seattle this Thursday, Sept. 23, and this is our plan.

There is a light rail station at SeaTac. From what I understand from the Seattle Transit website, you can buy tickets at the station for $2.50 per person (cash, debit card, credit card). The ride to downtown is about 35 minutes and there are no transfers. The light rail train stops several times, but you don't have to get on another train or anything like that.

From what I've read the train stops at the SeaTac station regularly ... so you shouldn't have to wait long for the train.

We are staying at the Sheraton, and the Westlake (downtown) light rail station is a couple blocks from there.
Here's the light rail link. According to the schedule it leaves every 15 minutes and takes 37 minutes between the airport and downtown.
http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-S...Light-Rail.xml
I don't know if it's the 'best" way. Haven't used it yet, but I'd certainly try it to save $40.

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaves View Post
Here's the light rail link. According to the schedule it leaves every 15 minutes and takes 37 minutes between the airport and downtown.
http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-S...Light-Rail.xml
I don't know if it's the 'best" way. Haven't used it yet, but I'd certainly try it to save $40.
For us we have found that it is the best way. Our concern was if there was going to be a place for our luggage and we found there was plenty of room. It's hard to beat $2.50. We don't mind schlepping our bags a block or two to the hotel in Seattle to save, what can turn out to be, 500% more.

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM
50,000+ Club

We are no longer able to drag luggage for any distance. Since we do back-to-back cruises -- even in Alaska - we take 4 suitcases and 2 carry-ons.

Thus we find for us that using a limo service is much better.

Old September 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
For us we have found that it is the best way. Our concern was if there was going to be a place for our luggage and we found there was plenty of room. It's hard to beat $2.50. We don't mind schlepping our bags a block or two to the hotel in Seattle to save, what can turn out to be, 500% more.

I just think that "best" means different things to different people. You and I think light rail is best because it's cheap and convenient. And you and I probably don't overpack. At most I have a 26" wheeled case and a small tote. But for the typical traveler who overpacks, they won't be able to walk to the terminal and to their hotel, so "best" is a taxi or limo.