Ship Building contest on the Dam Ships

Hey folks...why aren't you entering the ship building contests on the dam ships? It is sooooooooooooooooo much fun. DJ Mike on the Westerdam told me that they might do away with this contest because no one enters. I enter everytime. I work on my ship before I go to sleep. I am so wound up at the end of a day that this helps me sleep. I also work on it when I wake up. It helps me wake up thinking of other things I could incorporate on my ship. The ooos and ahhs I get walking through the Lido with my ship is worth it. Please enter this contest next time it's offered. You won't regret it. It is just too much fun. :D

My husband and daughter had the winning, and only, entry in the ship building contest on the Zaandam last summer. Here they are with their beautiful creation! Their ship may look frivolous, but it was able to carry a cargo of a six-pack of coke without mishap! My husband and daughter had a lot of fun creating their masterpiece. :) My daughter is holding all the "dam" dollars they won.

Karin

I vaguely remember this listed on the daily activity sheet, but didn't think too much of it at the time. I know this is something DH would enjoy, so if it is still around come December, we'll definitely give it a try... Just curious, do they provide materials to build your ship, or do you just use whatever you can find???

You can use anything on the ship to make a ship excluding beds, etc. You are also allowed to buy materials in ports. I like to use stuff I find on the ship. I bring two or three rolls of tape with me and maybe a glue stick and that's it. It's a great activity for filling in some of the blah spots during at sea days. Ya know, they just don't provide enough activities for at sea days. But that's fine with me as long as they have the build a ship contest. People, please try it. It's a blast on "sea trial" day. :)

M-A-M - the balloons are are great idea. I wouldn't mind being the only entrant...it mgreatly increases the odds of winning and don'te we all love to win!:D

Thanks, Cody! Do you recognize the HAL laundry basket wrapped in plastic as the hull?;) My husband and daughter sure got a lot of attention at the Lido pool, being they were the only contestants:D ! All the kids were swarming around to see if that ship would float with a cargo of coke! It would have been more fun to have a little competition, though.

Karin

We entered a few years ago and had a great entry. We lost however to a group of 20 or so Dutch passengers who built theirs out of empty beer cans!

Hmmm----Dutch passengers-----HAL ship------winners------hmmm!

I just got back from the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise and I was the only entrant. I still enjoyed putting all 12 cans of Coke in it and it Floated!! My ship looked exactly like the Oosterdam. People were amazed at how it looked. I called it the OHdam! I don't know how to put the pic on here. I tried but it is not showing up. Hopefully I will learn how and show you the OhDam!

And here we are, Team Chellwood in First Place after the Sea Trials:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/ger_77/TeamChellwood.jpg

DH and I are in the middle and the friends we travelled with are on either side of us. What a great time we had putting it all together, sharing stories, sharing libations . . .

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You guys join me on the Maasdam October 20th and we'll have a really great build a ship contest. If not that cruise, how bout the Noordam December 1. When I went on the inaugural for the Noordam, there were 5 ships. How cool was that? I won with the Damifweknow II. ;)

We were on the Maasdam this past February and entered the shipbuilding contest with our friends - we had a blast. There were 3 entries - here's ours:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/ger_77/MissDamMeanor.jpg

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ger:

I absolutely love your "dam" ship! She looks a little like the Half Moon, the ship Henry Hudson sailed for the Dutch East India Company;) Are those life savers I see in the rigging?:) Very nice job!

Karin

Was it just our cruise or all they all named with... sleazy names? I would love to say "risque" but ours were more... sleazy. I can't even put the name of one on here or it will be removed. Some of the backgrounds were mildly funny but the rest were met with an awkward silence. One guy had a "clean" ship with a funny story- something Titanic based, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately his consisted of a carved out watermelon from the buffet, complete with marshmallows and Froot Loops on toothpicks, and it began to disintegrate in the pool! The others were clever but one in particular was nearly obscene!

My husband and daughter had the winning, and only, entry in the ship building contest on the Zaandam last summer. Here they are with their beautiful creation! Their ship may look frivolous, but it was able to carry a cargo of a six-pack of coke without mishap! My husband and daughter had a lot of fun creating their masterpiece. :) My daughter is holding all the "dam" dollars they won.

Karin

Nice pix.

Whatever happened to floating the case of beer ? The winner always got to keep all the beer. :D

I love the creativity that goes into building these ships almost as much as some of the door decorations. And one day I hope to sail with the slipper people too. All of this makes me smile.

Thank you everyone for sharing your pix.

Here's the winning entrant from our 2004 Zuiderdam cruise sailing around the spa. There were 10 of us and we each got a Z-Dam mug and shared a bottle of champagne. It was fun when sailing with a group, especially since my future BIL was heading up the project, he's a Coast Guard Chief. We dismantled our door signs for the cause - along with the big HAL cups, wire coat hangers and duct tape! I would do it again just for the mug. I tried to buy an O-dam mug but apparently you have to win them in one of the activities on the ship - which I didn't accomplish. Guess I should check E-Bay for one. OR take another Oosterdam cruise. :)

1751644099_CaribbeanCruiseDec2004254.jpg.36c286032f9a047c512744de88a8e66f.jpg

Archived