Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Seabourn Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Seabourn Cruise Line Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

View Poll Results: Which New Features Are Most Exciting?
The larger suites (bathrooms have separate showers and tubs). 43 58.11%
The marina; it's a Seabourn tradition. 15 20.27%
A redesigned spa with a thalassotherapy pool and aromatic steam 9 12.16%
The coffee bar -- enough said! 17 22.97%
The Patio Grill, for more casual fare. 16 21.62%
Expanded pool areas and a better sun deck design. 37 50.00%
More variety in evening dining with Restaurant 2 and the more easy-going Verandah Cafe. 23 31.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Editor

Default What's Your Take on Seabourn's New Ship?

Seabourn's revealed much-awaited details about its two new-builds and the ship is clearly more evolutionary than revolutionary. In fact some of the additions -- an extra pool, additional restaurant venues -- are merely a function of its larger size.

But that's probably good news to a lot of folks who'd like to see the traditional Seabourn ambience continue, and so the lack of innovations (there appears to be no massive new space for enrichment classrooms or a poolside movie screen) may come as a relief.

Does it? Which new features are you most excited about (you can vote for more than one)?

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
CruiseCritic.com

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Cruise Critic Host

The new ships are going to be UNBEATABLE!!! This is so very exciting! I will say that one of the most "important" improvements (not mentioned in the poll) is that there will be real private verandahs on 90% of the suites! (sweet)

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wow!

The description sounds breathtaking. Dan, when I opened the link on Carolyn's post, there were deck plans, but too small to really see anything. Are they located anywhere else on the 'net? Seabourn's website, or...?

I laughed, at the poll, to see the one I voted for (the pool area re-do), was a favorite. That sure will make me happy, I love pool and sun time. I certainly hope I'll be able to cruise on one of the beautiful new Seabourn ships.

Jane

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Balconies and the expanded spa and better pool/sun areas tops my list.

Of course they mean little without the superlative Seabourn service!

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Perhaps your poll should be expanded to include "the inclusion of true verandahs, previously lacking on the yachts"?

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Agreeing with Eric, et al:

Assuming that the quality service staff will not change (my greatest wish!), I sought out a "balcony" listing (gotta love my balcony!), so picked the cabins & the pool(s) upgrade!

Everything sounds, as Dan mentioned, "sweet"!!

Paul

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

>"... where guests savor multi-course dinner menus designed by acclaimed celebrity chef Charlie Palmer...'

Do you think this means we have to wait until then for a new menu or will they inplement the ones we have now?

Keeping the breadsticks and the twice baked goat cheese souffles of course.

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool Hey Crystal 808

Let me know when you plan to sail on one of these....I will book.
As mentioned earlier...the deck plans appear too small....but at first glance the layout seemed similar to the SilverSeas ships and the Regent Navigator in general layout.
In the meantime I am planning a 1st qtr 2009 Seabourn Caribbean sailing on one of the smaller ships after I get my Crystal Serenity crossing (Nov 2008)under my belt.
Happy sailings
Tom

Old May 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Editor

Default Fabulous Seabourn Service

Totally agreed! But that's not something we can evaluate until later, when we really sail the new ship...and compare the ratio of passengers to crew (which I frankly assume won't change significantly).

I have to say on one hand I was surprised about how little has changed with the new ship (save for the expected stuff -- more options, bigger suites (and bigger bathrooms). On the other hand, what's not, how do you say, "broke" don't fix it.

I absolutely loved my cruise on Legend in March and I'd be happy to go again on any one of the triplets -- even without the "improvements." And it seems that Seabourn gets that....

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboatman View Post
Balconies and the expanded spa and better pool/sun areas tops my list.

Of course they mean little without the superlative Seabourn service!

Old May 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Editor

Default Real Balconies

You're right, we should've included. Shamefaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2-B's Best! View Post
Perhaps your poll should be expanded to include "the inclusion of true verandahs, previously lacking on the yachts"?

Carolyn

Old May 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Some Princess Balconies, s'il vous plait!!!

Thank you, Carolyn, for the excellent article. Very well written!
Any photos yet?

Old May 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
I have to say on one hand I was surprised about how little has changed with the new ship (save for the expected stuff -- more options, bigger suites (and bigger bathrooms). On the other hand, what's not, how do you say, "broke" don't fix it.

I absolutely loved my cruise on Legend in March and I'd be happy to go again on any one of the triplets -- even without the "improvements." And it seems that Seabourn gets that....

Carolyn
And that is exactly the point! Seabourn provides a wonderful cruise that has a great fit with high demand. It doesn't need to make big changes...a tweak here...a modification there...balconies (OK that is a big one for some)...but it still "feels" like Seabourn.

The Best is working hard to be better...not different.

Old May 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS Olympic View Post
In the meantime I am planning a 1st qtr 2009 Seabourn Caribbean sailing on one of the smaller ships after I get my Crystal Serenity crossing (Nov 2008)under my belt.
Hey, Tom:

I've got a deposit on the Legend crossing (April '09), but who knows? The new build will be inviting (somewhat reminiscent of the Radisson/Regent we sailed on). Might have to rob a bank, but we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboatman View Post
And that is exactly the point! Seabourn provides a wonderful cruise that has a great fit with high demand. It doesn't need to make big changes...a tweak here...a modification there...balconies (OK that is a big one for some)...but it still "feels" like Seabourn.

The Best is working hard to be better...not different.
Hard to disagree with that! My sentiments, exactly!

Paul

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal808 View Post
I've got a deposit on the Legend crossing (April '09), but who knows?

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMatt View Post
Now Matt...you KNOW I'm not gonna give up that single supplement!

Paul
(was referring to an "additional" SB cruise in 2009 if I can find a convenient bank to rob!)

Old May 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaAna,CA View Post
The description sounds breathtaking. Dan, when I opened the link on Carolyn's post, there were deck plans, but too small to really see anything. Are they located anywhere else on the 'net? Seabourn's website, or...?

I laughed, at the poll, to see the one I voted for (the pool area re-do), was a favorite. That sure will make me happy, I love pool and sun time. I certainly hope I'll be able to cruise on one of the beautiful new Seabourn ships.

Jane
Jane--I clicked on the small picture of deck plan--it got bigger--i printed the enlarged picture--it came out good enough to get a much better idea of what it will be like--it looks great!! It appears there will be 25 suites on deck 4 with out verandas--these will probably be a good bet for single passengers! Don

Old May 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaloma View Post
Jane--I clicked on the small picture of deck plan--it got bigger--i printed the enlarged picture--it came out good enough to get a much better idea of what it will be like--it looks great!! It appears there will be 25 suites on deck 4 with out verandas--these will probably be a good bet for single passengers! Don
Don - thanks for the info - the picture was not clickable yesterday.

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile New pool and deck

I am SO excited about the new Pool and deck area. I absolutely LOVED my Seabourn Spirit Cruise July 07 (Athens to Istanbul). Gave it high marks on everything but I was so disappointed by the tiny misplaced pool. Having just sailed on SeaDream and enjoyed so much their pool and all the social activity that took place there - it was the only downside.
I can't wait for the new ships and booked the Pride this November in the Caribbean (GREAT SALE) - just so I can be one of those who get first dibs on booking the new ship!
Kate - Windsurf, Carnival Victory, Carnival Pride, Ocean Princess (Alaska) (no more),Norwegian Sun, Sun Princess, Golden Princess (So. Caribbean 6/04), Costa Atlantica, Golden Princess (Europe 6/05) NCL Jewel Holiday 2005, SeaDream I (Caribbean 4/06) Freedom of the Seas (1 night inaugural) Seabourn Spirit (Med 7/06), RCL Explorer of the Seas (Seminar at Sea 10/07) Seabourn Pride (Carib 11/07), Celebrity Solstice 2 day Inaugural 11/08, Celebrity Century 4/09, Regent Voyager 9/09, Crystal Serenity 11/09, RCL Freedom (seminar at sea 5/10), Crystal Serenity 10/10, Celebrity Eclipse 11/10, Crystal Serenity 9/11, Crystal Symphony 1/12, RCL Oasis of Seas 5/12, Azamara Journey 6/12, NCL Breakaway 5/13, Regent Navigator 6/13, NCL Getaway 2/14, Azamara Journey 5/14

Old June 1st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks Don

I didn't even think of clicking on the deck plans. Technology challenged. Thanks for the tip. Hope to see you and Lola soon.

Jane

Old June 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Hi Kate:
Good to see you are having fun. Your mention of the sociability of the SeaDream pool really prompted fun memories. That really is the hub of activities on SD. Hope the new SB ship fares as well pool wise.
Have a great summer.
Jim & Lois.