Last minute sailing, do prices drop?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice
Offer up your advice for saving money on cruises...from booking tips to info on shore excursions.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:38 PM.
151 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We are looking at taking short cruise that leaves in 10 days. There are rooms still availabe, but they are still priced higher than we would like to pay. Does anyone know if they will drop the price a couple of days before the sailing in order to fill up the ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Triumph July 14, 2016
Sunshine Nov 21, 2015
Triumph June 25, 2015
Magic December 21, 2014
Victory May 27, 2013
Triumph July 26, 2012

Triumph May 3, 2012

Ecstacy April 21, 2011
Conquest May 30, 2010
Fantasy July 17, 2008
Fantasy August 30, 2007
Ecstasy July 06
Sensation Sept. 05
Fasination Aug. 02
RI
180 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Yes, you can get a "hot deal" online from royal carribean
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Radiance, Alaska Cruisetour#7
8-20-2010
Jewel ...Oct 17th 2009
New England Honeymooners
Freedom Eastern Jan 27th 2008 Girls only!! Janine, Jen, Jo-ann, and Darlene
AKA HOOOOKAS!!!!
FREEDOM Western Sept 9th 2006 Mom Grandma+daughter
Jewel Western 2005 Best friends Janine Jen
Norweigian Wind ALASKA 2002 Mom+Me
Disney Magic Bahamas 1999 Jen's
Graduation with whole family

I'm Jennifer and I'm addicted to cruising

Texas
10,888 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by sarafs
We are looking at taking short cruise that leaves in 10 days. There are rooms still availabe, but they are still priced higher than we would like to pay. Does anyone know if they will drop the price a couple of days before the sailing in order to fill up the ship?
It depends, if there is demand for the type of room you are looking for, the price will go up.
Rockaway, NJ
1,503 Posts
Joined May 2006
We leave on our cruise in 10 days, and I've noticed the prices have been going up over the past two weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Jewel - Bahamas Jan 2012
Carnival Miracle - July 2011
Carnival Spirit - February 2010
NCL Gem - July 2009
Carnival Triumph - February 2009
Carnival Freedom - January 2009
NCL Jewel - Caribbean Oct 2008
Carnival Victory - Canada June 2007
NCL Jewel - Mediterranean July 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada August 2004
Carnival Spirit - Alaska July 2003
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
3,748 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
It always depends on the cruise line and the cruise.

Don't assume that just because rooms are readily available that berths are. Remember that they sell "guarantees" which they get to place last in order to keep room selection available.

Some cruise lines will sell off their extra berths in different ways. Princess often will send emails to their customers who make last-minute sails. Royal Caribbean will have some cruises on last-minute "Hot Deals". But they can also sell the berths off to a consolidator who can fill them in one particular area and not affect prices elsewhere.

Often, as the cruise gets closer, prices will actually start to increase.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Who put the stop payment on my reality cheque?
Click to email me → Just...@gmail.com
70 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by dforeigner
It depends, if there is demand for the type of room you are looking for, the price will go up.
Don't you think if there is demand for the type of room they're looking for, with 10 or fewer days til they leave, that the rooms will then sell out, therefore an increase in price can't happen as there is no longer a product or service to offer? This isn't a replenishable product, it's finite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

272 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by RIcruiser5
Don't you think if there is demand for the type of room they're looking for, with 10 or fewer days til they leave, that the rooms will then sell out, therefore an increase in price can't happen as there is no longer a product or service to offer? This isn't a replenishable product, it's finite.
As the cabins dwindle down, the prices creep up. And then it's sold out.

And you're left at home wishing you had booked 10 days earlier.

Just go with it and be happy.
U.K
824 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by sarafs
Not within 10 days,too much paperwork,more so with a short cruise, price is usually capped.
52 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I booked my last cruise 2 weeks before sailing and we had looked at prices a week before that but didn't book and the prices went up. That was with NCL. They sold out of any interior and oceanview's so we booked a balcony. I guess it depends on what cabin you are looking at. THe lower priced cabins usually sell out. It has happened to me twice now thought where I don't book it when I am looking and the prices go up. Good luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Alaska (inside) -June 3-10 2007 - Norweigen Star
Mexican Riviera - November 2006 - Norweigen Sun
86 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
just be aware most cruise prices go up. You'd think they would give away the cabin just to make "some" money, but they don't.
I think the farther away you book, the better.
I clicked on Nov 2008 cruises on one of the websites by mistake. I meant to click on Nov 2007. I couldn't believe how cheap the prices were, 7 nights Caribbean for $399!!! (inside of course)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Princess (Princess), 11/87
Paradise (Carnival), 4/02
Carnival Legend (Carnival), 3/03
Voyager of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 11/03
Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 11/06
Carnival Valor (Carnival), 9/07
Grandeur of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 11/07
Norwegian Jewel (NCL), 11/08

85,228 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Prices do not drop like they used to. I believe in booking early for the best selection and by the way usually the very cheapest and most expensive cabins go first.

Keith
London
302 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
As airline staff we only travel if their are seats available on the flight so we can only book our cruise quite late. I normally wait until five weeks before and then book, i normally get a good rate and also have an idea how the flight looks. I have been watching my cruise and the prices went down on the sixth and fifth week before sailing, now it has risen considerably.
Ann Arbor, MI
1,409 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
My last cruise increased in price in the final month too. However it was at it's absolute lowest just after final payment came due (say two to three months prior to cruise date).

For next summer, I see no bargains. I'm tempted to wait and try for a late booking bargain.

June 2005 I booked Norwegian Dawn last minute and got a bargain. I had a choice of an Alaskan route too. June 2006 I saw a repeat. June 2007, I vaguely remember seeing some too just not sure; I wish I had paid closer attention. Too late now. Did you get a super deal for a cruise this summer?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Many cruises on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival.
86 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Expedia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Princess (Princess), 11/87
Paradise (Carnival), 4/02
Carnival Legend (Carnival), 3/03
Voyager of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 11/03
Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 11/06
Carnival Valor (Carnival), 9/07
Grandeur of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 11/07