OK so I am confused! Liquor? yes or no?

SReeder

I have in read several post that it's ok to pack liquor on board (via suitcase), and also to bring wine from various ports on board. Is this ok or no? Will we get in trouble if we pack a bottle of liquor for the trip or purchase it at the ports and bring it on board? Please let me know, because if it is ok, I am going to add it to my packing list. LOL!

Pack liquor in checked luggage as they can take it and keep to return at end of cruise, Wine can be taken on in carryon due to corkage fee if you take to dining room. USUALLY if you bring liquor onboard from ports it will be taken and returned last night of cruise, wine you can take to your room. (Be sure to pack liquor securely and put in ziplock!) :)

We are just off the Summit and bought both beer and liquor in ports and carried it onboard without a problem. Did not bring from home as we were doing a land tour first. We have brought liquor from home on past cruises without a problem. The bottles we purchased onboard were a great buy and they were brought up to our cabin the last sea day.

I carried Bailey's on board in my carry on (and water) onto the Mercury, and no one blinked.

I even saw one family unloading there car at Pier 66 (Seattle) right at the terminal. It looked like they had just come from Costco. Along with their luggage, there were CASES of sodas, water and beer. They were right from the store, not covered, not hidden at all.

I did not stick around to see if was brought onboard, but it did not look like any one was stopping them, and they continued to help them bring all the stuff to be checked in.

We cruised on Mercury in March, 2004 and on Century in May, 2004, and in each instance we brought the airline small bottles of gin and vodka for consumption in our Royal Suite. On Century, we also brought in my carry-on, two non-leakable plastic quart bottles containing Gin and Vodka. There was no confiscation of any of our liquor supplies. [Loved having a cocktail on the veranda before dinner]. Also when we were on Century, we bought several bottles of a cream rum [relatively small bottles] which is like Bailys in Jamaica - and had it over ice late in the evening while again sitting out on the veranda, hearing the noise of the water, and viewing the ocean.

After seeing another thread on a Cruise Critic board, I checked out Celebrity's Bon Voyage Gifts, which can be ordered and paid for at least two weeks before departure. The offer several liquor packages, which includes one fifth of liquor, nuts and 6 sodas for $50.00 each. The packages are delivered to your cabin on the day of embarkation. We are going to order one package with Absolute, and the other package with Beefeaters. In looking at our past experience with ordering sodas for our cabin, we were charged approximately $13.50 for six cans. All in all, I think that we will be overcharged for each package by about $10.00 over what it would cost to buy the package on shore. The Bon Voyage Gift section on the Celebrity web site states that these items can only be consumed in your cabin - oh yes, they will!

We have decided that the overcharge is probably not that great when you consider the convenience, and not running the risk of having the booze in my carry-on confiscated during embarkation.

Oh, on the March cruise, I made a "booze run" in Matzalan, and the bottle of Absolute was in my Celebrity tote bag covered by a towel, and it was not confiscated. All in all, we feel better about ordering it, having it delivered to us, and doing away with trying to smuggle it aboard.

but I am not all that big on drinking in my room. We usually have the late seating so we find it fun to get ready early for dinner and go to one of the bars and have a drink or two before dinner. We have met many interesting people by doing this and I love to people watch. I don't drink much during the day, can't say the same for my husband, but we set aside enough money so that we enjoy ourselves so saving money is not an issue.

Archived