Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old June 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How much time to allow from Harwich disembarking to Heathrow flight?

THe cruise I'm considering disembarks at Harwich supposedly starting at 4 AM. I would need to disembark, then take the 2-3 hour train whenever it comes to Heathrow. This assumes:
1. the ship arrives/disembarks at the time they promise
2. I really could theoretically disembark as early as 4 am
3. trains really do run to Heathrow starting that or very early.

What do you think is the earliest time of day that day I should safely book a transatlantic flight back to the US?

Old June 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Would you really get off at 4 am?? You book a private car to get you directly to Heathrow, but I looked at nothing earlier than 2 pm. I think "Why go on vacation and then leave yourself at risk of a drama at the end.?"

Early in the morning trains can be cancelled, there can be traffic jams, extra security. Just my opinion

Voyager of the Seas July 2006 Western Med 2292
Jewel of the Seas July 2007 Baltic -cant remember the stateroom, I just remember that we had a brilliant time!
Adventure of the Seas July 2010 Western Med 7289
Liberty of the Seas July 2011 Western Med 7331 and 7329
Adventure of the Seas July 2012 Western Med (they just get better) 6616
Norwegian Epic July 2013 - Western Med well at least we are going on a different line this time

so many more cruises to come I hope

Old June 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishface View Post
THe cruise I'm considering disembarks at Harwich supposedly starting at 4 AM.
What do you think is the earliest time of day that day I should safely book a transatlantic flight back to the US?
The first weekday train to from Harwich International to London Liverpool Street at the moment looks like it's at 0710, arriving at 0848. (There are earlier departures at 0542 and 0627 but both require you to change trains at Manningtree.)

You should allow an hour to connect from Liverpool Street to London Paddington for a Heathrow Express train, and then another 30-40 minutes to get to check-in from the time the train departs from Paddington. That would get you to check-in at about 1030, so your earliest safe flights are going to be from about 1300 onwards if this is how you want to do it.

If you got the very first train of the day at 0542, you'd arrive at Liverpool Street at 0710, so basically 1½ hours earlier. But even with a scheduled 0400 arrival, you'd have no guarantee that you'd make an 0542 train.

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_