Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOW View Post
My wife and I may be in the minority on this one, and as they say about other things (including cruises), 'your mileage may vary'. But I'm willing to keep an open mind, karynanne. If we'd been there off-season the experience could have been quite different. And we'd go back any day and spend time in the surrounding towns and countryside. Didn't help that we stayed in a mosquito-infested overpriced sauna of a hotel room, and got little sleep. I suppose it's like a first impression of a cruise line or ship -- sometimes things just snowball and never recover.

Yow, I can see why your first impression was a negative experience. But if you have the opportunity to ever visit Florence again...do so. There are so wonderful hotels. I stayed in a beautiful Sofitel. In the middle of the city...actually right near the Duomo, and they had sound-proofed the rooms.

Sorry...got a little off topic here.

For those that are anxiously awaiting news on the Millie...just breathe deeply, and keep positive thoughts for a great outcome.

Karyn

Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Spoke to my TA at 5pm tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karynanne View Post
Yow, I can see why your first impression was a negative experience. But if you have the opportunity to ever visit Florence again...do so. There are so wonderful hotels. I stayed in a beautiful Sofitel. In the middle of the city...actually right near the Duomo, and they had sound-proofed the rooms.

Sorry...got a little off topic here.

For those that are anxiously awaiting news on the Millie...just breathe deeply, and keep positive thoughts for a great outcome.

Karyn
She says they will not hear anything about the July 12th Sailing til tomorrow or Thursday - Celebrity says they think they can fix it in Rome - but will not commit til they remove the props.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Earlier today I received an e-mail from a friend on the Millie. I believe they are in a "FV" stateroom. According to him, he is receiving a $750 ship board credit and an additional $150 for the 3rd and 4th persons.

I also understand there was a group of 40 people who had not met the ship until yesterday - rumor is an apparent problem with United, don't know anymore than that - but I really feel bad for those individuals. Imagine being stuck with your air carrier, knowing your trip is continuing on without you, and when you finally get there your ship is damaged - how frustrating that would be!!!!

Pam

Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, We also are going next wednesday the 12th in venice with a dozen people. I spoke with Celebrity about 10pm EDT 7-3-07 and they stated that it would be repaired. I think that we need to speak with them daily to make sure. We are coming from Boston and it's a long way to come home without cruising!!

Old July 4th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,

I can only assume from what has been said that Millennium carries spare prop blades onboard, and these can be changed without the need to dry dock the ship? Lets hope this is true, and that there has been no damage to the propulsion pod.

Fingers crossed for all of you

Ian
Celebrity Eclipse 3 May 10
Celebrity Eclipse Med. 4 October 10
Celebrity Eclipse Scandinavia & Russia 21 May 11
Cunard QM2 Norway 17 June 11
Celebrity Eclipse 4 May 2012 Norway
Cunard Queen Elizabeth 7 August 2012 Norway
Cunard QM2 4 November 2012 12 Night Canaries.
Cunard QM2 4 November 2012 4 Night English Channel.
Cunard Queen Elizabeth 19 April 2013 12 Night Med cruise
Celebrity Eclipse 6 October 2013 14 Night Canaries and Azores.
Celebrity Eclipse 7 June 2014 14 Night Russia & E Europe.
Celebrity Eclipse 19 October 2014 11 Night Canaries.
Celebrity Eclipse 13 September 2015 14 Night Canaries and Azores.

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Prop damage

We were on the Galaxy 6/1/07 and it ran on only one prop the entire trip.
This was not mentioned at all to any of the passengers.
Painting missing from my cabin.
Good luck trying to get credit. They are claiming I left the painting behind.
Many unhappy passengers who couldn't sleep.
Leave lots of time to get out FCO we waited 3 hours and they had to delay the flight.

Old July 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
Earlier today I received an e-mail from a friend on the Millie. I believe they are in a "FV" stateroom. According to him, he is receiving a $750 ship board credit and an additional $150 for the 3rd and 4th persons.

I also understand there was a group of 40 people who had not met the ship until yesterday - rumor is an apparent problem with United, don't know anymore than that - but I really feel bad for those individuals. Imagine being stuck with your air carrier, knowing your trip is continuing on without you, and when you finally get there your ship is damaged - how frustrating that would be!!!!

Pam
Pam....We just got back from the Millie 6/18-6/30 cruise. Had a wonderful time, but the vacation was slightly dampered by the fact that we spent most of Saturday and Sunday in airports. Here's what happened...We got off the ship around 8 and made it to the airport around 9 a.m. At some point a representative from U.S. air told us that our flight was to be delayed (and maybe cancelled) until later that evening (we were supposed to leave at 12:10) Seems the flight out of Philidelphia hadn't even left yet and, if it did, we wouldn't be able to leave till the evening. Turns out we left at 9:30 p.m. I can't help but think that there must have been quite a few people on the flight to Barcelona that missed the ship because of this (we were told the plane was broken and they needed to get parts). And then all this happens with the ship! My heart goes out to those people! To finish my story...our flight got into Phili at midnight and the connecting flight to Cleveland wasn't till 9:30 Sunday morning. We were given a voucher for a hotel, that we had to call and find a room (the voucher was for $79!...not near enough!)...well..it was 4th of July weekend in Phili and no rooms available, so we had to sleep in the airport! This is minor, however, compared to the poor travelers on the cruise now, especially those who were on U.S. air!
Oh yeah...and I forgot to mention they lost three of our luggage...only to receive late the next day. Ugh!

Mercury--1/00 Caribbean
Summit--2/02 Eastern Caribbean
Summit--3/04 Western Caribbean
Summit--4/06 Hawaii
Millennium--6/18/07 Mediterranean Legacies
Millennium--8/08/08 Alaska
Millennium--4/16/10 Panama Canal
Xpedition--10/10/10 Galapagos
Silhouette--9/27/2011 Holy Land
Solstice--3/16/2103 Australia/New Zealand
Constellation--11/05/2014 Transatlantic--Rome to U.S.
Infinity--3/1/2015

Last edited by clambake43; July 4th, 2007 at 07:25 AM.

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile prop damage

I just got off the phone with Celebrity and was told that the prop has now been fixed and will not be effecting the next sailing.

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I really hope that is true!
Celebrity Zenith July '00
Carnival Legend Aug '03
QM2 July 4th, '04
QM2 July 4th, '05
RC Jewel of Seas April 16, '06
Celebrity Summit July 10, 2008
RC Oasis Inaugural Weekend November 27-29, '09
RC Oasis of the Seas April 3, 2010
RC Liberty of the Seas February 27, 2011
NCL Breakaway June 23, 2013

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
10,000+ Club

No comment about the ship situation but IMO, Florence is an incredible city. I have visited there 15 times and am going back this fall.

IME, most all European ports are a zoo in the high summer season. Florence is no different and I always try to schedule my visits in the least popular times of year for anywhere in Europe.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I, too, was underwhelmed with Florence. Very boring, no scenery to speak of, there was 1 scenic overlook but too crowded to get into, overpriced (17 E for 2 draft beers, puleese). One good thing, you could walk into and out of any restaurant/bar to use the bathrooms without having to buy anything !

MaryAnn

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm m View Post
I just got off the phone with Celebrity and was told that the prop has now been fixed and will not be effecting the next sailing.
That is great news. I do hope this ship has uneventful sailings for sometime to come.

Carnival Freedom 12/11/2011
Carnival Freedom 12/12/2010
Carnival Freedom 12/13/2009
Carnival Splendor 12/06/2008
Celebrity Millennium 12/16/2007
Caribbean Princess 12/17/2006
Celebrity Century 10/23/2004
NCL Majesty 2/10/2003
Carnival Fantasy 1/24/2002
Trying to remember ships and dates before 2002

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzo View Post
I, too, was underwhelmed with Florence.
Just curious ... did you know in advance what you were interested in seeing in Florence?

I agree with Caviargal ... an incredible city, but best visited outside of the busy summer months.

~~~~Azamara Quest-Ancient Empires 2008~~~~Xpedition-Galapagos 2006~~~~Millennium-Med 2005 (Review)~~~~
~~~~Zenith-Bermuda 2003 & 2005~~~~Radiance-Alaska 2003~~~~Cunard-Baltic 2000~~~~

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

I hope so... We leave next week.

Old July 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

this is a little off topic but I can understand why someone would not have the same impression of a place-depending on time of year.

The first time I went to Italy I fell in love with Venice (it was late March). The second time I went to Venice was in July- during a heat wave. It was brutal. I still enjoyed it but the rest of my group, who had never been to Venice thought it was over-rated.

I have been back to Venice twice since (once in July and another time in October) and it is nicer off season.

Florence is a lovely city and there is so much great artwork- but with the crowds it isn't as much fun to explore. I think you have to stay in a place for a couple days to really appreciate it.

Old July 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

See, now, Venice for us was much better. I've heard complaints about the heat and smell of Venice. We didn't experience that, but had a great time wandering around, getting lost, doing the pub crawl tapas thing, taking in art and music, and soaking in the ambience (day and night) of that wondrous sinking city. Also helped that we had great weather and nice accommodations.

Yet I realise Venice doesn't do it for everyone. Of course, it takes all kinds. Personally, I like cities with whimsy, such as Prague, Venice, and Barcelona. Others are not moved by these places. It's what makes the world go around.

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
No comment about the ship situation but IMO, Florence is an incredible city. I have visited there 15 times and am going back this fall.

IME, most all European ports are a zoo in the high summer season. Florence is no different and I always try to schedule my visits in the least popular times of year for anywhere in Europe.
I am thinking of taking the Galaxy next June 20th. But after your comment would I be better going in September?

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcocktail View Post
I am thinking of taking the Galaxy next June 20th. But after your comment would I be better going in September?
Just read about the scorching heat in the Mediterranean in the summer. May and September, October are much better.

Old July 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default The Med in July

We were on the Millie last July in the Med. and the heat was very bad, but that didn't stop us from having a great time. The ride on the cruise ship standing at the rail going into Venice is a vision that was amazing. Sure it was hot, but bottled water was our friend. Florence was nice, I don't remember mosquitos or bugs. Took the tours and had a great time. Hope everyones' trip turns out as they expected and that the Millie is well on her way to being mended.

Good Cruising Patty J.

Old July 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We went to Florence in April and did alot of research beforehand. The things that sounded interesting (Doumo - Accedemia, etc) were only ok .

But that's about all the city has, other Italian cities have so much more.

M.A.